Supposed defender of civil liberties goes after whistleblowers in abuse of the Espionage Act

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Supposed defender of civil liberties goes after whistleblowers in abuse of the Espionage Act

C'mon...

...it's not like they disclosed the confidential identity of a covert intelligence operative just to discredit the opposition and make their bad decision look slightly better...

...did they?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Supposed defender of civil liberties goes after whistleblowers in abuse of the Espionage Act

In Response to Re: Supposed defender of civil liberties goes after whistleblowers in abuse of the Espionage Act:
    [QUOTE]Excuses, excuses. You bleeps don't give a dang about civil liberties. Prosecuting someone for telling a newspaper reporter the government should have used their own software instead of buying it?? Espionage? And Mattyhorn, using the "your guy did it too" excuse? You are kidding. Weak. Weak.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

No, just pointing out that there seems to be varying degrees of transparency depending upon who is swinging the hammer...

...and that these are probably best taken on a case-by-case basis.

This sounds pretty bad, I admit, but haven't seen enough to know whether this is better, worse or the same as any other whistleblower case....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Drake was arrested under the Bush DOJ orginally and following the tranistion to the Obama DOJ the charges against him were scaled back and ultimately he did no jail time.  I beleive he was found guilty of housing NSA data on his home PC. 

I don't know why the Obama's DOJ didn't drop the case entirely, but it was clear that he provided sensitive information to the press, even though the information was not classified. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from altonjones. Show altonjones's posts

Gosh, you folks cannot get through your day without dropping the "B-word, can you!

Sigh.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Supposed defender of civil liberties goes after whistleblowers in abuse of the Espionage Act:
    [QUOTE]Drake was arrested under the Bush DOJ orginally and following the tranistion to the Obama DOJ the charges against him were scaled back and ultimately he did no jail time.  I beleive he was found guilty of housing NSA data on his home PC.  I don't know why the Obama's DOJ didn't drop the case entirely, but it was clear that he provided sensitive information to the press, even though the information was not classified. 
    Posted by DamainAllen[/QUOTE]

Not for nothing, but as I work in IT, my employer imposes the same restrictions on me re: confidential, sensitive or client-related info.  If I let it get out, intentionally or not, that's my azz....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Supposed defender of civil liberties goes after whistleblowers in abuse of the Espionage Act : Not for nothing, but as I work in IT, my employer imposes the same restrictions on me re: confidential, sensitive or client-related info.  If I let it get out, intentionally or not, that's my azz....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere, a comment he made, that indicated he thought the worst that would happen to him was that he would be fired.  So it seems he knew there was some risk involved, although I suspect he had no idea he would find himself flirting with a 35 year jail term under the original indictment.