Tax Free Weekend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Tax Free Weekend

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

All tax has one legitimate purpose, funding government. social engineering with taxes is a fools errand by progressives. It is immoral and illegitimate.

That is not to say that they're programs are bad, it is simply not the role of government.

As opposed to, say, a state govt holding a monopoly on liquor sales...?

[/QUOTE]

A state shouldn't hold a monopoly on anything in the area of commerce.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to GregoryFromMeffa's comment:

2.  I used to smoke.  I used to drink to excess.  I used to be a coke-head.

I AM an addict.  Smokers are addicts.  2 of those 3 are PHYSICALLY addictive, and smoking is one of them.  So I don't like the luxury item/choice thing.  What smokers are are a captive audience that are icky, so there is no problem with the government bending them over and laughing.

You're right: You've got government benefitting by taxing an addiction.

It depends on the person, of course, how much the addiction really does make the person captive.

I used to smoke cigarettes as well and was definitely addicted for several years. I still consider it a choice; after all, nobody forced me to start, and stopping involved gritting my teeth for a month and simply....not smoking any cigarettes. A choice that became coerced, but still a choice.

But I also think I have good genes on the addiction front. A number of family members used to smoke and all were able to quit without relapse.

Others aren't so lucky.

But on the other hand, the price pressure really has had a strong effect on smoking rates. I know people who quit in part because of the price (for me it was simply a moment of realization of how profoundly foolish/selfish it would be for me to slowly kill myself with the things).

I think I still tend to come down on the side of having the cig tax because it works.

I'd add this caveat: A cigarette tax should go towards smoking cessation programs for the poor.

I don't like the concept of a sin tax whose sole purpose is gov. revenue.

All tax has one legitimate purpose, funding government. social engineering with taxes is a fools errand by progressives. It is immoral and illegitimate.

That is not to say that they're programs are bad, it is simply not the role of government.

Does your answer ever state anything other than "liberals and government suck"?

Your loss that you can't see clearly on this issue. Words have meaning. Use them right, as I demonstrated, and you won't get a lexical argument from me.

as far as the use of the word equal, crack open a. Dictionary.

as far as the only legitimate reason to raise taxes is to run the government, crack open the constitution.  Madison wrote extensively about this, and had the view that the taxing clause in the constitution is legitimate only in respect tot he enumerated powers.  I.e., social engineering, dis equal taxation that favors me group over another, is not allowed

the constitutioguarantee tees equal access, supposedly equal application of duties and fees.  Wat it does not guarantee is equality in outcome. that is the intent in your prior argument with Jim and Bob.  The $10 tax was equal, but it wan't "fair" in your eyes.  fairness is subjective.  what is fair to you is not fair to me.  Clear enough?

take offense if you want, but the simple truth is that you are wrong, and at least in this area, the progressive ideal is wrong, and unconstitutional in principle.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Words have meaning. Use them right, as I demonstrated, and you won't get a lexical argument from me.

I believe you meant to type, "use them correctly."

Look out! The doo......oh nevermind.

[/QUOTE]

You are betterer.

thank you for the grammar lesson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

as far as the use of the word equal, crack open a. Dictionary.

as far as the only legitimate reason to raise taxes is to run the government, crack open the constitution.  Madison wrote extensively about this, and had the view that the taxing clause in the constitution is legitimate only in respect tot he enumerated powers.  I.e., social engineering, dis equal taxation that favors me group over another, is not allowed

the constitutioguarantee tees equal access, supposedly equal application of duties and fees.  Wat it does not guarantee is equality in outcome. that is the intent in your prior argument with Jim and Bob.  The $10 tax was equal, but it wan't "fair" in your eyes.  fairness is subjective.  what is fair to you is not fair to me.  Clear enough?

take offense if you want, but the simple truth is that you are wrong, and at least in this area, the progressive ideal is wrong, and unconstitutional in principle.

This is pure drivel.

[/QUOTE]

Spoken like someone who has lost the argument.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

The point is that this weekend is really silly.

Shop in NH and never pay it.

But why the excitement?  I can't think of anytime when I bought something of value that wasn't on sale and you can almost always get 10% so saving 6.25%............nothing to celebrate.  

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

That might be a good idea for people who live near NH. Not exactly a great option for someone living on the Cape, South Shore, Berskshire's, etc

But why the excitement?  I can't think of anytime when I bought something of value that wasn't on sale and you can almost always get 10% so saving 6.25%............nothing to celebrate.  

Not everyone pays attention to sales. I know I don't. So for those who don't pay attention to sales, 6.25% is a nice savings. Especially for those who don't make a lot of money. That being said I will be staying far away from the stores this weekend as I can't stand crowded stores. It's why I tend to Christmas shop online or on a weekday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

That might be a good idea for people who live near NH. Not exactly a great option for someone living on the Cape, South Shore, Berskshire's, etc

Not everyone pays attention to sales. I know I don't. So for those who don't pay attention to sales, 6.25% is a nice savings. Especially for those who don't make a lot of money. That being said I will be staying far away from the stores this weekend as I can't stand crowded stores. It's why I tend to Christmas shop online or on a weekday.

[/QUOTE]

Good points; shopping on line is the best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another perk of online shopping is in many cases no tax. And many offer free shipping deals so you only pay for the product with no additional costs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another perk of online shopping is in many cases no tax. And many offer free shipping deals so you only pay for the product with no additional costs.

[/QUOTE]

Amazon is always my first choice and then I do a quick check for a better price, Amazon wins 80-90% of the time.  If you pay the Amazon prime fee of $25 then besides getting free books and media for the Kindle you get second day shipping for free on everything.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Yeah...who needs local stores and jobs anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amazon is always my first choice and then I do a quick check for a better price, Amazon wins 80-90% of the time.  If you pay the Amazon prime fee of $25 then besides getting free books and media for the Kindle you get second day shipping for free on everything.

[/QUOTE]

Nice. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I believe Amazon may be forced to start collecting MA taxes on orders from MA, once warehouses are established within the state.

Yes, they caved early much to my surprise, not sure when it takes effect but if I remember it was tied to an upcoming Christmas shopping season, this one or next one.

quick edit

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2012/12/12/amazon-agrees-start-collecting-mass-sales-tax/qMyCbtRbzUnrX4ChQxou1O/story.html

Amazon, the world’s largest online merchant, said Tuesday that it has agreed to start collecting the state’s 6.25 percent sales tax in Massachusetts next November, a move that will cost consumers but generate­ tens of millions of dollars for Beacon Hill.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

------------------------------

Apparently username didn't like my post and had it removed

User...first off...many of the local store have websites to order products online..oops

Second, I already stated I do also shop at physical stores but tend to do so during weekday to avoid crazy crowded stores on weekends especally during holidays.

Third, It's a free country...if I choose to buy online because I don't want to deal with people like you in the stores then I should be able to do so. If you want to put up with crowded malls then by all means go for it.

Fourth, I'm pretty certain stores and jobs aren't in jeopardy due to me shopping online.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Good for some big purchases like appliances and furniture (that may require delivery).

Kinda meh for the rest, IMO

However, I live very close to the NH border...so there's that.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the NH Liquor cartel...or the 17 other states which have varying monopolies on liquor/beer/wine sales.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

User...first off...many of the local store have websites to order products online..oops

Second, I already stated I do also shop at physical stores but tend to do so during weekday to avoid crazy crowded stores on weekends especally during holidays.

Third, It's a free country...if I choose to buy online because I don't want to deal with people like you in the stores then I should be able to do so. If you want to put up with crowded malls then by all means go for it.

Fourth, I'm pretty certain stores and jobs aren't in jeopardy due to me shopping online.

I didn't have your post removed, nor have I ever had anyone's post removed.

I wouldn't say most local retailers sell online.  Most have a website with information, but they are just providing you information before you go to their store.

And how can you say online shopping doesn't cost jobs?  A brick and mortar store has many costs that an Amazon doesn't.  A four year old can connect these dots, why can't you?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I wouldn't say most local retailers sell online.  Most have a website with information, but they are just providing you information before you go to their store.

Most of the stores I shop at do. 

And how can you say online shopping doesn't cost jobs?  A brick and mortar store has many costs that an Amazon doesn't.  A four year old can connect these dots, why can't you?

If your reading comprehension was a tab better you'd have seen that I said "ME" shopping online is hardly going to cost jobs. Yup...look up above at the word "me" that is bolded in red. Ouch!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

I can't imagine how you people stand paying a state income tax and a sales tax......how many EBT cards did that drunk woman from Haiti have yesterday????

Out of curiosity what do you pay in property taxes per year?

i pay slightly more property taxes than my friends in MA....but my money goes to my town, my schools, my new municipal offies, my trash pick up, my newly paved roads, my new fire and police stations, new police cruisers.......NOT to illegal immigrant EBT cards....my tax money goes to MY community....and I pay it happily....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

I can't imagine how you people stand paying a state income tax and a sales tax......how many EBT cards did that drunk woman from Haiti have yesterday????

Out of curiosity what do you pay in property taxes per year?

i pay slightly more property taxes than my friends in MA....but my money goes to my town, my schools, my new municipal offies, my trash pick up, my newly paved roads, my new fire and police stations, new police cruisers.......NOT to illegal immigrant EBT cards....my tax money goes to MY community....and I pay it happily....

NH has local and state property taxes.  Hate to break it to you, but your state property tax is not staying in your community.....unless you consider the whole state as your community.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Fourth, I'm pretty certain stores and jobs aren't in jeopardy due to me shopping online.

If your reading comprehension was a tab better you'd have seen that I said "ME" shopping online is hardly going to cost jobs. Yup...look up above at the word "me" that is bolded in red. Ouch!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the NH Liquor cartel...or the 17 other states which have varying monopolies on liquor/beer/wine sales.

[/QUOTE]

you tell them.

i don't really understand your line of questioning.  We are talking about sale taxes, and you are off on state run liquor store like you have some great point. Well, your great point is alluding me, and everyone else.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Fourth, I'm pretty certain stores and jobs aren't in jeopardy due to me shopping online.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Repasting your response a 3rd time doesn't make it any less childish.  In fact, it just makes you look like a tool.  You know exactly what I meant when I said online shopping costs us local jobs.