Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from guciboy77. Show guciboy77's posts

Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!!

How did we reduce the number of smokers, we taxed the heck out of it and made the dangers completely obvious.  Why, when it comes to our environment, we don't do the same thing?  Reports show that methane produced from the herds of cattle for our beef industry, have a greater impact on our environment than all the cars, planes, trains, etc...combined.  Now, if those are the two greatest contributers to killing our planet, autos and beef, then why not tax them and produce data that supports the harm?  When gas was a $4/gallon, people sought out public transportation or thought twice before taking the long drive to the outlets to go shopping.  If we increased the tax/price on beef products, don't you think people would eat less beef, which would in turn produce less methane?  I'm curious why increasing taxes on things that should be taxed, rather than creating another way Wall St. can profit in a cap and trade system doesn't happen?  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Re: Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!!

Tax exclamation points !!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

In Response to Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]How did we reduce the number of smokers, we taxed the heck out of it and made the dangers completely obvious.  Why, when it comes to our environment, we don't do the same thing?  Reports show that methane produced from the herds of cattle for our beef industry, have a greater impact on our environment than all the cars, planes, trains, etc...combined.  Now, if those are the two greatest contributers to killing our planet, autos and beef, then why not tax them and produce data that supports the harm?  When gas was a $4/gallon, people sought out public transportation or thought twice before taking the long drive to the outlets to go shopping.  If we increased the tax/price on beef products, don't you think people would eat less beef, which would in turn produce less methane?  I'm curious why increasing taxes on things that should be taxed, rather than creating another way Wall St. can profit in a cap and trade system doesn't happen?  Thoughts?
    Posted by guciboy77[/QUOTE]

the one problem with that is global warming is bullshiite so what's the point anyway? I'm all for generally moving us out of the industrial age into a more eco-friendly 'green' way of living but that doesn't mean we have to be ignorant about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from guciboy77. Show guciboy77's posts

I agree that there is some hesitation in my full belief of global warming, but when you look at the photos from the Beijing Olympics and seeing the smog hanging over the city all the time, taxing things that pollute the air can only benefit for health purposes, if global warming is the myth that some make it out to be.  Fixing something that is broken rather than building something completely different and better is idiotic and can only lead to more headaches down the road.  If you reduce cars on the street, reduce bulls in the fields, then the air quality is better and people live healthier lives.  People are addicted to cars and beef.  Last time I checked, an addiction isn't a good thing! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

i don't think anyone would debate that humans cause pollution, which negativley impacts health, and should be dealt with. but on a global scale, it has yet to be shown what our impact is. will there come a time when the poles are free of ice? most likely yes, as has been the case in the past. that doesn't mean man is to blame for it.

i mean there's a garbage patch floating in the middle of the Pacific the size of a state, so its obvious we need to address our practices but no need for fear mongering at the same time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from guciboy77. Show guciboy77's posts

I wouldn't call it fear mongering, more like best practice when it comes to healthy living.  Paying billions of $$ to countries that hate us for oil that pollutes, seems insane.  Why not increase the tax, reduce the usage, and put that money to better use in our own country.  Creating cleaner air, more jobs, invest in innovation are among the few benefits of keeping money here rather than sending it over seas.  People have this sense of entitlement to be able to travel by car wherever they want.  Why not charge them for it?  Instead of people driving into Boston daily, why not force the hand of the govt. to increase public transportation and infrastructure so that it becomes easier to get places.  People chose to live 30 miles from their jobs, but if there are alternative ways of getting there, then those should be used and it would only benefit everyone.  It's not just a tax to save the ozone, it's a tax that would benefit our country and keep us atop the list of innovation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 7x4. Show 7x4's posts

In MA, you pay tax on the purchase of the car, tax on every gallon of gas, tax on every servicing of the car, a yearly excise tax, tolls on major highways, registration fees, drivers license fees.

Why don't we tax stupid ideas?  Plenty like yours flying around.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

not sure i agree with you on this one. driving isn't a right, no, but i wouldn't really call it a privilege either, it is what it is. some people choose to move 30 miles away b/c rents and housing prices in the city are rediculous, plus some people enjoy having land etc. you can't adopt a 'tax it' attitude towards everything, a better use of resources would be to become more efficient with what taxes are collected to begin with. i work downtown so i pretty much have to take public transportation and i hate it for a number of reasons (although i'll admit it is the only time i get to read).

i think a full-fledged committment to change our ways would hurt a lot of people, not physically but it would hurt as a society b/c we'd probably have to take two steps back, in order to take a step forward.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craigm68. Show craigm68's posts

First taxes are not the answer.

"When gas was a $4/gallon, people sought out public transportation or thought twice before taking the long drive to the outlets to go shopping."

And remember people blaming George Bush for it? The other side effects included an almost complete destruction of American auto companies (which we had to bail out, except Ford) and state coffers going empty because people drove less and the states collected less gas tax (tax based per gallon not on cost).

The same thing happens with smoking, eventually more people will stop smoking, then what, the tax revenue is gone.

Eventually when you tax items, you alter behavior (like smoking) and you loose revenue instead of gaining it. Then to make up for it, you have to tax something else, so the non smokers get taxed to pick up the slack for the lack of smokers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]How did we reduce the number of smokers, we taxed the heck out of it and made the dangers completely obvious.  Why, when it comes to our environment, we don't do the same thing?  Reports show that methane produced from the herds of cattle for our beef industry, have a greater impact on our environment than all the cars, planes, trains, etc...combined.  Now, if those are the two greatest contributers to killing our planet, autos and beef, then why not tax them and produce data that supports the harm?  When gas was a $4/gallon, people sought out public transportation or thought twice before taking the long drive to the outlets to go shopping.  If we increased the tax/price on beef products, don't you think people would eat less beef, which would in turn produce less methane?  I'm curious why increasing taxes on things that should be taxed, rather than creating another way Wall St. can profit in a cap and trade system doesn't happen?  Thoughts?
    Posted by guciboy77[/QUOTE]  PLEASE SPARE US/ME......  BEEF ?????  GIVE ME A BREAK !!!  BTW,  A NEW MEAL ON THE BOARD AT MICKEY DEE'S...... IT'S CALLED THE  OBAMA  MEAL........ THATS WHERE THE GUY IN FRONT OF THE LINE ORDERS,  AND THE GUY IN BACK PAYS FOR IT !!!!!  PLEASE, DON'T GIVE THE "BIG O" ANY IDEAS !!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!! : All of what you are talking here about has nothing to do with global warming or cow farts. Pollution and smog are different than CO2 and so-called greenhouse gases. You can have no pollution at all and still have your CO2 generated global warming. Your tax proposal would do nothing for global warming nor pollution. Your post is an example of how devious people will use the scam of man-made global warming to tell other people how to live.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]  GOOD POST....... SOUNDS LIKE WASHINGTON  D C , AL GORE,  "BIG O" AND THE CHICAGO WAY GANG !!!!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

[QUOTE]The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States. ------------------------------- I don't see anything about congress having the power to force it's citizens to pay for fixing the planet (assuming it actually needs fixing in the first place)
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

if the earth needed fixing that could reasonably fall under the 'welfare of the united states' thing couldn't it?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"From each according to his means, to each acording to his needs."
    WHO SAID THAT?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taxes are the Answer!!!!! It's proven!!!!! : I think the wording is "promote the general welfare". Key word is "promote" as compared to "provide". That said, I think getting or keeping clean air, water, earth in the realm of promoting. There is also the issue of government intrusion. Promoting clean air is something that everyone can use in their pursuit of liberty and happiness. Whether or not they choose to do anything with it is up to them.  Taxing an activity that the government deems unhealthy is an intrusion, it is active intrusion into someone's rights.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

that was a rhetorical question, and here's another in regards to your last sentence, what about ciggarettes?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Anyone who actually believes our government taxes something to curtail its usage should start doing drugs if they aren't already.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who believes the government taxes something to curtail its usage should start doing drugs if they aren't already
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

WHAT? It isn't for our own good or "The Children"? I am shocked!