Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...?

An intriguing premise...not sure I buy it totally (could be coincidental), but the parallels are interesting, if only from an historical analytic perspective.  The writer claims "Fort Sumter Movement" is a more fitting moniker for the group.  Read on:

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/08/02/lind_tea_party/index.html

And which nevertheless makes me wonder if the tee partee folk are taking a revisionist view of historical events merely to suit their - somewhat regional - ideology...ethically dubious.  They have every right to protest what they don't like about the govt, but not in aid of making up their own facts or ignoring their own historical bias.

And again: "?" in the thread title means this is a question, not a declaration.  If you can't speak to it rationally, then stay out of it.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...?

In Response to Re: Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...?:
    [QUOTE]Everything you believe is true.
    Posted by howiewho[/QUOTE]

That's the great thing about history...

...it takes a factual sledgehammer to nonsensical "beliefs".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

I don't think this is anything interesting or new about this article. Yet another far left commentator from a far left website trying to stealthily associate the tea party movement as being synonomous with racism.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Moonbat logic:
    "The four states with the most Tea Party representatives in Congress are all former members of the Confederate States of America."

He may be on to something,...or not.....before Obama, the previous three Democratic US Presidents were also from  "former Confederate States of America"! Clearly they must have been virulent racists, then.
    and wait...the same Democratic Party was the Party of the Confederacy and Treason in the 1860s, and the Party of the Ku Klux Klan...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I am not surprised that the majority of Tea Party affliated legislators are from the south, as the Tea party is for all intents, purposes, and practicalities, a subdivision of the Republican party, a party which is strongest in the South.  On the flip side that there are no Tea Party affliated legislators from the Northeast isn't suprising either as the above dynamic is flipped and GOP lacks a stong foothold in the region and the elected persons are almost always GOP moderates. 

I think the author to some extent is taking a correlation between party membership and region and jumping to some conclusions that are bothersome and corrosive.  Certainly the extreme nature of some of the positions some of the Tea party legislators have themselves espoused expose an alarming lack of thoughtfulness and instead rely on dogmatic ideology. 

This is problematic in a world where pragmatism is often the best course of action for a country whose people represent a far wider array of people than we see in the Tea Party caucus.  Perhaps to that extent, the "us versus them" nature of Tea Party rhetoric seems a bit to close to a type of politics we saw with the Old Dixiecrats and the GOP following their adoption of the Southern Strategy?  But more than anything, I think there is a stigma of the South as a racist, backwards, region that is really driving this article because to me the evidence he presents doesn't necessary speak to the idea of the Tea Party as Neo confederates.  I think for most of us godless, heathen, secular, progressives, the wink and nod is pretty apparent and thus his argument speaks to a "truth" that some liberals already beleive, but objectively speaking, it doesn't hold water and is...to be honest...offensive. 

That said, the actions of some in the Tea party since their astroturf beginnings don't do much to dispel the notion of the group as merely a bunch of enegergized and angry neo confederates.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think this is anything interesting or new about this article. Yet another far left commentator from a far left website trying to stealthily associate the tea party movement as being synonomous with racism.
    Posted by lrecliner[/QUOTE]

No, and I'm not sure how you could impartially draw that conclusion...and unless you view the confederacy itself as largely racist, which it wasn't...not really.

His thesis is that the tea party movement is synonymous with the historically southern anti-government movement, i.e., that the movement is more regional than ideological...

...which is antithetical to most media portrayals, in case you hadn't noticed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...? : No, and I'm not sure how you could impartially draw that conclusion. His thesis is that the tea party movement is synonymous with the historically southern anti-government movement, i.e., that the movement is more regional than ideological... ...which is antithetical to most media portrayals, in case you hadn't noticed.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Matty, the author says that tea party members in Congress come from former "slave states". Either you lack the ability to read critically or are unwilling to admit the obvious. Either way, that's your affair, not mine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

BTW, similar missives have been made about the settling of the american west re: conservative positions and land use provisions.  These are valid historical inquiries regardless of the eventual validity of their conclusions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...? : Matty, the author says that tea party members in Congress come from former "slave states". Either you lack the ability to read critically or are unwilling to admit the obvious. Either way, that's your affair, not mine

Oy.

What's wrong with that?  They WERE slave states; now, they're former slave states.

You're the one who can't read critically, not I....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...? : Oy. What's wrong with that?  They WERE slave states; now, they're former slave states. You're the one who can't read critically, not I....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interesting. Has it ever been brought up by anyone on the left that Al Gore came from a former "slave state"? It was put into the article for a reason Matty. Even a blind man could see that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Since the South is full of transplanted Northerners, and the mass migration is continuing, these regional stereotypes are close to worthless.

The "Confederate stronghold" of South Carolina has a Tea Party friendly Indian American governor and a Tea Party friendly black GOP Congressman.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Race baiting being disquised as a debate or question.

I am not a teapartier but, I have been in close proximity to a few rallies and the largest I have seen were in the northeast mainly Ohio, Michigan and Kentucky!

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Matty continues in his perfect imitation of his true hero, Goebbels, spreading the lies repeatedly until they become accepted as truth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think this is anything interesting or new about this article. Yet another far left commentator from a far left website trying to stealthily associate the tea party movement as being synonomous with racism.

Yea just because they admitted to a racists element doesn't mean there is one RIGHT ? And then there is this .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S38VioxnBaI

PROTECT WHITE CRACKER BABIES shirt at Tea Party event by Glen Beck .

INTERVIEW OF RACIST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoIcyWwVqIw

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, let's attack the only people who are trying to cure us from our addiction to debt, endless wars and life on the government teat for companies and layabout losers. It is their fault that we are in debt to a point we can't pay it back and we will reach a point we can't service the debt. You morons would rather pay lenders $1 trillion a year than cut entitlements to some degree?
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

Yes, they would, because they are almost certainly the 'entitlees' of the 'entitlements'. Their snouts are firmly in the government trough... 
    'Self reliance' is not in their vocabulary.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

I would have no problem with the Tea Party if they actually served a formal afternoon tea. The sort of Tea served on silver service with fine bone China, complete with cucumber sandwiches and scones.

Reality  is that the Billionaire Koch brothers funded the "grass roots" movement that has now become the tea party. .

This is why it is so warped.

We now have an ignorant underclass (Tea-Party), lobbying for the ruling class. Go figure!

Only in America!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE] I would have no problem with the Tea Party if they actually served a formal afternoon tea. The sort of Tea served on silver service with fine bone China, complete with cucumber sandwhiches and scones. Reality  is that the Billionaire Koch brothers funded the "grass roots" movement that has now become the tea party. . This is why it is so warped. We now have an ignorant underclass (Tea-Party), lobbying for the ruling class. Go figure! Only in America!
    Posted by kelldog1[/QUOTE]

how's that Coffee party working out for you lefties?  Same as Air America?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]Matty continues in his perfect imitation of his true hero, Goebbels, spreading the lies repeatedly until they become accepted as truth.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Simply an obnoxious thing to say.  Typical of your mindless ranting.

And you are a one to talk about spreading lies... Hitler is a liberal.  Lenin and Obama are similar.  The Koran does not cotain thw word "love".  Just a few of your lies.

Despicable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...? : So,......you`re suggesting racism matty?  I thought we were by this?  I thought we proved to the world that we are NOT racist and that, in America, everyone is equal.  53% voted for Obama.  I don`t think people cared about skin color.
    Posted by jmel[/QUOTE]

Apparently none of the conservatives actually read the article.  Or they are too dim to understand it.  The central premise is NOT that the Tea Party is infected by the racism of the Confederacy, it is that they are infected by the state rights obstructionism of the Confederacy.   I don't necessarily buy the premise, but I at least recognize there is an argument there to look at.  And it is a political argument, not a racial one.  But critical thinking is apparently beyond the grasp of alot of folks who lean right. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...? : "WE THE PEOPLE" elected two Blacks and one Hispanic in 2010, all three are great (reps/sen) and young. Here in Plymouth County almost 900 TP members of different races. We were the reason Scott Brown got elected. You an't seen nothing yet.  A Typical cultured , conditioned people are scared of us.
    Posted by howiewho[/QUOTE]

Please stop pretending that your little splinter organization is "We the People".  I am part of that "People" and you and yours' don't represent my interests at all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tea Party as 'Neo-Confederates'...? : Apparently none of the conservatives actually read the article.  Or they are too dim to understand it.  The central premise is NOT that the Tea Party is infected by the racism of the Confederacy, it is that they are infected by the state rights obstructionism of the Confederacy.   I don't necessarily buy the premise, but I at least recognize there is an argument there to look at.  And it is a political argument, not a racial one.  But critical thinking is apparently beyond the grasp of alot of folks who lean right. 
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

"Critical thinking"... is that what mudslinging is called these days?
    So instead of smearing the Tea Party as racists or terrorists, they are smeared as Confederates.  Much better smear.