Teachers With Guns: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Teachers With Guns: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Teachers in South Dakota Can Now Bring Their Guns to Class

South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard today signed into law a controversial bill that will allow his state's schools to arm teachers and other staff with guns. As the New York Times explains, a few other states have provisions on the books that make it technically possible for a teacher to be armed in the classroom, but the Mount Rushmore State is "believed to be the first state to pass a law that specifically allows teachers to carry firearms."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Teachers With Guns: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Are they gonna have the teachers keep the gun on thier person or are they gonna like put the gun in one of those boxes with the glass that says "Break glass in case of emergency"???

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Wasn't Utah first?

This remedy was the NRA's gambit to get past the "5-week news cycle half-life" of a horrific incident.  "Hm.  Yeah, that makes sense."  Particularly if you want it to.  "Whew.  That was easy."

This remedy will last until, in the event, it makes a very messy situation much messier.  Assumption #1: A good guy with a gun will stop a bad guy with a gun, and not vice versa.  Assumption #2: The good guy and the bad guy have equivalent guns, or the good guy's is "better" (escalate this).  Assumption #3: It will happen in one action in each direction -- or less.  Assumption #4: That collateral damage will not be multiplied.  There are probably more assumptions, but the point is that pretty much one scenario is assumed.  "Whew.  That was easy."

Do the police send in one guy, however uber-armed and trained, to shoot the bad guy?

Any guesses as to the NRA's followup gambit?  Or, how many times can they double down?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - George Carlin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

[Deleted.]

Never mind.  Thanks, Sister.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

deleted

Sister, would you please repeat the quotation?  It didn't come through here.

I am the world worst when it comes to using a computor .... so I just wrote it after about 10 attempts of trying to fit the whole photo in a comment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

It will have a deterrent effect for any demented cowards who want to hurt children.

"Assumption #1: A good guy with a gun will stop a bad guy with a gun, and not vice versa."

Fact #1: A bad guy with a gun cant be stopped or deterred without severe injuries or deaths to innocent parties;  except by a good guy with a gun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Guys with computers:  What could possibly go wrong?

[I can't do it to begin with.]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

People with guns:  What could possibly go wrong?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Interesting.  I usually use Chrome with Adblock Plus.  Not today.  The right margin is full of ads for handgun training and licensure courses and teacher's aide courses.  And, "Ever been arrested?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Students...there's a new sheriff in town. I have a gun and I am not afraid to use it. It's a .44 magnum , the most powreful handgun in the world...and would blow your head clean off. When you come in my classroom, you've got to ask yourself one question, 'do I feel lucky?'...well do you?"

Scenerio : Student pulls out a gun in class. Teacher brings out his gun. Unfamiliar with the piece, he accidently shoots it and hits the wrong target. Sally, who has never seen a gun (except on T.V.) gets shot.

The solution is not more people with guns. The solution is to stop the students from getting anywhere near a gun. If gun owners are responsible and careful , guns need never fall into the wrong hands.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Another scenario:  The gun is locked in the teacher's desk.

Another scenario:  It's not.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Just  think they can have a math teacher named Dirty Harry Callahan  .....

Callahan asked 1st grader Billy .... "how many shot did I fire .. five or six" ...

Billy looks puzzled .........

Dirty Harry ask him ...."do you feel lucky punk" .... "well do you" ?

Poor Billy is scared........ but he gots to knows !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

"...by the Bush administration."?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

"What Could Possibly Go Wrong?"

Hopefully nothing

Would it bother you if your child had a teacher with a gun on him/her?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

It will have a deterrent effect for any demented cowards who want to hurt children.

Another assumption:  Assuming that the demented coward set on killing dozens of little kids will reason.  

Unfortunately, we'll see about all these assumptions.

Please add more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

When I read stories like this it makes me glad my son is out of school..but fearful for the kind of world my baby niece is going to grow up in. I know a lot of public and private school teachers. I like and respect most of them...but I also wouldn't want to see most of them armed. The unintentional consequences of arming teachers are simply not worth the risk. Besides..it is not a viable solution anyhow. Otherwise..where do you stop? Do you arm Church vestries..and movie theatre ticket holders?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

When I read stories like this it makes me glad my son is out of school..but fearful for the kind of world my baby niece is going to grow up in. I know a lot of public and private school teachers. I like and respect most of them...but I also wouldn't want to see most of them armed. The unintentional consequences of arming teachers are simply not worth the risk. Besides..it is not a viable solution anyhow. Otherwise..where do you stop? Do you arm Church vestries..and movie theatre ticket holders?

mscricket.  I empathize with your fear of harm coming to someone in a school setting.  However, I don't see the logic of sending children into unprotected circumstances as the remedy.  If anyhting, I see it as the problem. Maybe no good choice here.

I am in favor of more guns in more hands.  A well armed society is a polite and protected society.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

It's amazing how scary things have gotten. I was talking to my mother about this and she was saying that when we were growing up, school, other than being at home, was one place they didn't have to worry so much about us. They knew we'd be safe. Now...not so much.