Teachers With Guns: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Teachers With Guns: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

When I read stories like this it makes me glad my son is out of school..but fearful for the kind of world my baby niece is going to grow up in. I know a lot of public and private school teachers. I like and respect most of them...but I also wouldn't want to see most of them armed. The unintentional consequences of arming teachers are simply not worth the risk. Besides..it is not a viable solution anyhow. Otherwise..where do you stop? Do you arm Church vestries..and movie theatre ticket holders?

It's amazing how scary things have gotten. I was talking to my mother about this and she was saying that when we were growing up, school, other than being at home, was one place they didn't have to worry so much about us. They knew we'd be safe. Now...not so much. 

Funny..you day that. My childhood was definitely a simpler time...lol. There are a dozen reasons that things are the way they are now..but sometimes I really do wish common sense would rule the day. For all the advances we've made it seems like we still have so far to go in other ways.

I am actually fully prepared to pay the tuition for my little neice to go to a private school..but even that is no guarantee. I went to a small Catholic school where students were routinely physically beaten by one of the nuns. I certainly didn't feel safe in her class.

I think overall schools in this country are safe. Although when am on visits to certain inner city schools..I have my doubts.

There really are no easy quick answers..that's for sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

teachers with guns bad idea.....pepper spray, stun gun....an armed guard....all good ideas....how about better parenting???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

teachers with guns bad idea.....pepper spray, stun gun....an armed guard....all good ideas....how about better parenting???

No amount of parenting will stop a nut with a gun.  There is always going to be a certain number of nuts.  The number (and type) of guns on the other hand is a variable that can be addressed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

In response to macnh1's comment:

No amount of parenting will stop a nut with a gun.  There is always going to be a certain number of nuts.  The number (and type) of guns on the other hand is a variable that can be addressed.

I disagree to a point. Look at the CT shooting...if the mother had been a better parent and locked her guns up there is no shooting. If she had been a better parent and gotten her son the help she obviously knew he needed there is no shooting. 

My parents paid attention to how we acted. They knew when something was bothering us because they watched us as a good parent does. They didn't meddle but they stayed in tune. They paid attention.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

"I disagree to a point. Look at the CT shooting...if the mother had been a better parent and locked her guns up there is no shooting."

Unless he simply bought his own.

Did he buy his own?

"If she had been a better parent and gotten her son the help she obviously knew he needed there is no shooting."

Unless the therapy wasn't successful. Unless, as the mentally ill are highly prone to do, he went off medication and she didn't notice right away.

Speaks to paying attention to your childs behavior. Need to be more diligent with a mentally ill child 

"My parents paid attention to how we acted. They knew when something was bothering us because they watched us as a good parent does. They didn't meddle but they stayed in tune. They paid attention."

And you weren't mentally ill......  

Juries out on that...:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"Did he buy his own?"

The question cannot be answered without the existence of and access to parallel universes. Since she did not lock up her guns, there was no need to buy his own. I don't know whether he did or not.

facepalm

"Speaks to paying attention to your childs behavior. Need to be more diligent with a mentally ill child"

True. But in my line of work, a lot of clients are mentally ill. Even with someone looking after them they will go off meds - and it doesn't take long at all for the crazy to come out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

I am in favor of more guns in more hands.  A well armed society is a polite and protected society.

Well not quite.  Its a fact that states with the least restrictive gun laws also have far more incidents of gun violence and deaths from gun violence than states with more gun regulation.  So it would seem that a well armed society is simply a more violent and deadly society.  Obviously this is an observed correlation and not causation, but nonetheless, it would seem as though states with more gun laws have fewer gun related deaths than states with less gun laws. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

facepalm

Sorry if this is to difficult.

Sorry you missed the sarcasm....

Sections
Shortcuts