TGIF Fun...What would you do with $550 million?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

TGIF Fun...What would you do with $550 million?

It's Friday and I thought a little light hearted thread would be a great way to end the week. After hearing the news that the Powerball jackpot for tomorrow night is up to $550 million..I thought it would be a fun idea to talk about what you would do if you won the lottery? Or..do you even play?

I do play these weekly lotteries. One ticket..I play the same numbers that I have for years. The only number that changes is the powerball number..once a year..since it is my son's age.

So...what would you do?

Last night we sat around dinner sharing what we would do. The guys..of course..all want expensive sports cars and vacation homes. Me..? Not so much. I am pragmatic about cars.

There was no question in anyone's mind that I would give most of the money away. I don't need or want the hassle of that kind of money..but it would be nice to make sure that the people I care most about never had to worry about money again.

My indulgences?

I would buy season tickets to the Sox, Bruins and Celtics.

I enjoy housework but hate ironing and cleaning the bathroom..so I would hire someone to do both.

I would buy a horse ( or two). Riding is really one of my favorite things to do and something I have far too little time for...not to mention the cost!

I would hire a driver. I hate to drive..I mean..I really hate to drive. I'll do it and I drive all the time...but I would much rather have someone else do the driving most of the time.

I would quit my day job to focus more time on my fledgling consulting.

I would set up a scholarship fund to make college more affordable for kids of lower middle and working class families...you know..those who aren't living in poverty..but make just a little too much money to qualify for financial aid.

Nothing else I can think of at the moment. What about you? I don't think that boat loads of money can make all your dreams come true..and I think the most important dreams have little to do with money...but all the same..it's fun to..shall we say..speculate..?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: TGIF Fun...What would you do with $550 million?

Since my moms house is already paid off I would buy her a new car and give her a trip to Ireland since it's her favorite place in the world to visit.

Pay off my brothers home and also upgrade his old truck

Buy/build my dream home in the mountains, probably VT

Quit my job and coach full time at high school level; Football, wrestling, lacrosse

Give a ton of money to cancer research and spinal cord injury research

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

"I'll tell you what I'd do, man.....Two chicks at the same time."

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Donate it. Life is good and that much money would just complicate the heck out of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I would buy every single one of you a new house. You too Airborne!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Probably start a brewery.

But I've always wanted an ocelot.

And a greenhouse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Matty, you should give all that money to the government so that they can help those more unfortunate than you. In the name of fairness. And social justice.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Matty, you should give all that money to the government so that they can help those more unfortunate than you. In the name of fairness. And social justice.

There's a reason so very few comedians are conservative.

Except he wasn't trying to be funny. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Either way, the govt takes their share, no matter who wins.  That's fairness.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

hire a really good tax accountant!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Oh well..I'm going to assume it wasn't a BDC person who won the jackpot over the weekend.

Although..this morning..I am feeling like I hit the jackpot. Over the weekend I accomplished something that has been an elusive dream for me for all of my adult life...I graduated from college.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I graduated from college.

Congratulations!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Either way, the govt takes their share, no matter who wins.  That's fairness.  

But matty, you should pay more because you have more...Remember?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Congratulations!

Thank you :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I thought it would be a fun idea to talk about what you would do if you won the lottery? Or..do you even play?

I buy a ticket now and then. I'd probably set up a series of tax shelters and funds to ensure my family, extended and all, had nothing to worry about for a few generations at least.

Then, I'd keep on doing what I am doing, though I would consider simply volunteering to work for free at CPCS (Mass. public defender agency).

I'd probably weigh whether to donate to existing charities, or put in the effort to set one up myself. Probably the former.

I probably wouldn't move. Well, maybe I'd buy a house in Cambridge. Too much good food and booze to miss out, and it's within walking distance of Boston.

I don't think much would change about my day to day. The urge to retire would be strong. Doing nothing is great at first, but one starts to feel useless. I don't think I would do well with a life of complete leisure, even though I do love leisure.

I would still need to be busy and would probably do a lot more volunteering than I already do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Congratulations!

Thank you as well :-)