That's gotta suck

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Re: That's gotta suck

In response to NO MO O's comment:

President who spoke?

Like I said before, good Bruins game was on.................

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Neilsen ratings are becoming obsolete as more and more people view things online.  I watched the president on my ipad.

Makes me wonder if the Fox News ratings are high due to an aging audience tuning into cable on their CRTs. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Because ratings are so important for a broadcast with no advertising.

I read the transcript.  Much quicker.

Although I did like the photo of Ted Nugent sitting very uncomfortably next to the gay composer/leader of Pink Martini.  His body language was priceless.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

If you look at historical Neilson charts Presidents always have their highest ratings for SOTU in their first year and then each year thereafter the ratings decrease.  Both Bush and Clinton saw their first SOTU speech after reelection draw smaller numbers than their previous address, as is the case with Obama. 

In other words ratings for this years SOTU are indicative of nothing.  People seem to tune in less as they get to know the President, regardless of who that individual is, and interest is at its peak when the President is elected for the first time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Because ratings are so important for a broadcast with no advertising.

I read the transcript.  Much quicker.

Although I did like the photo of Ted Nugent sitting very uncomfortably next to the gay composer/leader of Pink Martini.  His body language was priceless.

Not sure the point was about advertising... 

I know, but...

Isn't that mostly the point of ratings, though?  Advertising dollars.

As mentioned, ratings can't possibly account for online views.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

If you look at historical Neilson charts Presidents always have their highest ratings for SOTU in their first year and then each year thereafter the ratings decrease.  Both Bush and Clinton saw their first SOTU speech after reelection draw smaller numbers than their previous address, as is the case with Obama. 

In other words ratings for this years SOTU are indicative of nothing.  People seem to tune in less as they get to know the President, regardless of who that individual is, and interest is at its peak when the President is elected for the first time. 

Right...and Obama's ratings in his first year of re-election is lower than Clinton's LAST SOTU. 

Clinton's last SOTU drew 31 million viewers so you are incorrect.  Though I am not sure what point you are trying to make either. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Why the name change?

Not surprised if the numbers are down. I don't know anyone who watches those things anymore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Second term Presidents generally draw smaller audiences to these speeches.  Bush's second term entailed two wars which were at their height, so we all tuned in to see which direction he was taking us.  Also, wasn't there a Celtics game on that night?

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I watched, as it is important to hear the President's assessment and plan first hand.  I signed up to the WH.gov site inorder to sign the petition to deport Piers Morgan a while ago.   Now I get WH emails and they asked for comments on SOTU; with a 400 character limit all they really got from me was "where's the beef" as the SOTU was all goals & platititudes but no plan.  Except that he wants to spend his political capital on gun control measures that he won't get.

I also watchced Rubio's Watergate on meassage but he stubbed his toe on delivery; but really all the angst or celebration about Rubio's awkward Poland Springs moment is just foolishness. Rubio will be a force to deal with as we address immigration and the economy.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts