The 47%

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The 47%

Several months ago..Romney had this to say about the 47%...

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.... These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. So he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean, that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

In the final analysis, Mitt Romney's share of the popular vote was....drum roll please....47.9%.

That my friends his what I like to refer to as poetic justice.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: The 47%

Poetic justice is better than our high degree of social justice being attacked by the gop for the next 4 years.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to jmel's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.... These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. So he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean, that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

In the final analysis, Mitt Romney's share of the popular vote was....drum roll please....47.9%.

47% pay NO income tax.  Almost half.  That is not only scary..........it`s wrong.  Obama won 50-48.  We are a country divided.  Today we learned that 49% of the country receives some type of government assistance.  When the takers outnumber the givers, what will we do?

Greece is the word.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Poetic justice is better than our high degree of social justice being attacked by the gop for the next 4 years.

Socal Justice?  You mean marxism, don't you?  You do know what Marx had to say about the importance of social justice inthe "the struggle"?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to jmel's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

47% pay NO income tax.  Almost half.  That is not only scary..........it`s wrong.  Obama won 50-48.  We are a country divided.  Today we learned that 49% of the country receives some type of government assistance.  When the takers outnumber the givers, what will we do?

Jmel..

We are not as divided as the right wing media would like everyone to believe. 

A large number of those who are exempt from federal income tax are senior citizens living on social security.  Life expectancy is longer now than it was when social security was created. Shall we tax those seniors? Or..shall we raise the retirement age? BTW..those seniors pay state income taxes on their SS..they also pay sales tax on items they buy...and they also pay property tax if they are lucky enough to own a home.

Another large demographic of people who are exempt from paying federal income are low income families..those making around 25K annually who also have children. Once you factor in the standard deduction and the tax deduction for each child..they have a zero tax bill...but they also pay sales tax on the purchases they make.

You want to fix those statistics? Fine..I support that. Lets raise the retirement age for collecting Social Security for one.  SS was never intended to be a 20+ year safety net.

Beyond that..what deductions would you propose eliminating? The standard deduction? The dependent deduction?

Better yet..let's raise the minimum wage. Let's require businesses to pay their employees a living wage. Let's improve access to higher ed..so that families making 26k a year can increase their income and then contribute to the revenue stream.

I like the flat tax model..eliminate all deductions..except as suggested by another poster..exempting the first 25k of income.

My point is..what are your specific suggestions?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Socal Justice?  You mean marxism, don't you?  You do know what Marx had to say about the importance of social justice inthe "the struggle"?

Check the stats.  We're all a little bit 'marxist' now.

(Hyperbole is fun, isn't it?)

Sections
Shortcuts