The actual threat of "national suicide"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

The actual threat of "national suicide"

Bobin has recently postulated that multi-culturalism, or at least the hardest core definition, is national suicide.

Here's something I think is far worse:  Religious magical thinking that leads to rejection of science.

"Surveys are also fairly consistent in their estimates of how many Americans believe in evolution or creationism. Approximately 40%-50% of the public accepts a biblical creationist account of the origins of life, while comparable numbers accept the idea that humans evolved over time. The wording of survey questions generally makes little systematic difference in this division of opinion."

http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=118

Enough magical thinkers exist that they even went and made a Museum of Creationism.  See the critical 'tour':

http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/2010/02/09/the-science-of-the-creation-museum/

One has to wonder whether the rejection of science for creationism leads deniers to reject other forms of science.  I can see how a person, having poo-poo'd undeniable scientific facts like the Earth's age, can make oneself more prone to rejecting other perfectly valid scientific facts or theories.

Perhaps that explains some of the resistance to certain things...

America, briefly #1, is slipping into the backwaters.  A growing rustic folk that might as well be cave dwellers, believing in magic and mantra.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Re: The actual threat of "national suicide"

"Religious magical thinking that leads to rejection of science".

WhatisIt's atheism is described well by a great scientist, Albert Einstein:

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WIIN12AM. Show WIIN12AM's posts

In Response to Re: The actual threat of "national suicide":
    "Religious magical thinking that leads to rejection of science". WhatisIt's atheism is described well by a great scientist, Albert Einstein:   "Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres."
    Posted by BobinVa

Whatisitnow has been quite obsessed with you lately huh? Kind of ironic since he always likes to accuse me of following him around. Once again What shows his hypocrisy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

"Religious magical thinking that leads to rejection of science". WhatisIt's atheism is described well by a great scientist, Albert Einstein:   "Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres."
    Posted by BobinVa

I'm sure Albert Einstein believed Earth was created in 4,000 B.C.

"Surveys are also fairly consistent in their estimates of how many Americans believe in evolution or creationism. Approximately 40%-50% of the public accepts a biblical creationist account of the origins of life, while comparable numbers accept the idea that humans evolved over time. The wording of survey questions generally makes little systematic difference in this division of opinion."

http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=118

Though I'm surprised.  This time you couldn't manage to cough up a confused rant about conspiring liberals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Evolution is not considered to be inconsistent with the religious beliefs of most Christians or Jews.  Most mainline Protestant denominations, the Catholic Church, and many other religious faiths accept the teaching of evolution.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Evolution is not considered to be inconsistent with the religious beliefs of most Christians or Jews.  Most mainline Protestant denominations, the Catholic Church, and many other religious faiths accept the teaching of evolution.
    Posted by BobinVa

do you understand that believing in the "biblical creationist account of the origins of life" means believing that when you read the bible you are reading 100% truth?

As in the world, and all creatures on it, were created in 4,000 B.C. in their present forms, period.

I know plenty of people believe in god, disbelieve in the 4,000 B.C. fairy tale, and believe that God helped evolution along or whatever.  The article discusses that.

But 40-50% of Americans actually believe the world, and all creatures on it, were created in 4,000 B.C. in their present forms.

And unfortunately, no quote from Albert Einstein is relevant to that.  Thank you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

"But 40-50% of Americans actually believe the world, and all creatures on it, were created in 4,000 B.C. in their present forms."

And liberals believe the stimulus created millions of jobs.

There are a lot of illogical myths out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to The actual threat of "national suicide":
    Bobin has recently postulated that multi-culturalism, or at least the hardest core definition, is national suicide. Here's something I think is far worse:  Religious magical thinking that leads to rejection of science. "Surveys are also fairly consistent in their estimates of how many Americans believe in evolution or creationism. Approximately 40%-50% of the public accepts a biblical creationist account of the origins of life, while comparable numbers accept the idea that humans evolved over time. The wording of survey questions generally makes little systematic difference in this division of opinion." http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=118 Enough magical thinkers exist that they even went and made a Museum of Creationism.  See the critical 'tour': http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/2010/02/09/the-science-of-the-creation-museum/ One has to wonder whether the rejection of science for creationism leads deniers to reject other forms of science.  I can see how a person, having poo-poo'd undeniable scientific facts like the Earth's age, can make oneself more prone to rejecting other perfectly valid scientific facts or theories. Perhaps that explains some of the resistance to certain things... America, briefly #1, is slipping into the backwaters.  A growing rustic folk that might as well be cave dwellers, believing in magic and mantra.
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

This is one Methodist who sees no conflict in evolution and my religious beliefs.

https://www.msu.edu/~hernan94/

“evolution is only believed by dogmatic atheists,”

Summary Statement

From just these four examples, one can see that evolution is not solely the belief of atheists, but it is accepted by the three monotheistic religions of the God of Abraham (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) and polytheistic religions as well. The common theme amongst these theistic religions is belief and practice of religion will lead to happiness – rare is that religion which attempts to explain earthly as well as spiritual phenomena. It may also be helpful to note that some atheistic religions, though they do not worship a God and do believe in evolution, are not necessarily evil, for example, Buddhism. When responding to statements such as “evolution is only believed by dogmatic atheists,” it is important to show not only that this statement is completely inaccurate, but to also promote open-mindedness.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Creationism is as fictitious as republican leaders' purported desire to assist or bolster in any way, shape or form the american middle class.

Too bad their worldview hasn't also 'evolved' with the times....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to The actual threat of "national suicide" : This is one Methodist who sees no conflict in evolution and my religious beliefs. https://www.msu.edu/~hernan94/ “evolution is only believed by dogmatic atheists,” Summary Statement From just these four examples, one can see that evolution is not solely the belief of atheists, but it is accepted by the three monotheistic religions of the God of Abraham (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) and polytheistic religions as well. The common theme amongst these theistic religions is belief and practice of religion will lead to happiness – rare is that religion which attempts to explain earthly as well as spiritual phenomena. It may also be helpful to note that some atheistic religions, though they do not worship a God and do believe in evolution, are not necessarily evil, for example,   Buddhism . When responding to statements such as “evolution is only believed by dogmatic atheists,” it is important to show not only that this statement is completely inaccurate, but to also promote open-mindedness.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

Ok, that's a good thing.  But this thread is simply to note the dangers posed to the sciences when 40-50% of surveyed people think otherwise - that the earth and all its creatures were literally created in present form 4,000 years ago.

This, of course, requires one to believe that all scientific evidence to the contrary is the result of a hardcore pratical joke by God.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Re: The actual threat of "national suicide" : do you understand that believing in the "biblical creationist account of the origins of life" means believing that when you read the bible you are reading 100% truth? As in the world, and all creatures on it, were created in 4,000 B.C. in their present forms, period. I know plenty of people believe in god, disbelieve in the 4,000 B.C. fairy tale, and believe that God helped evolution along or whatever.  The article discusses that. But 40-50% of Americans actually believe the world, and all creatures on it, were created in 4,000 B.C. in their present forms. And unfortunately, no quote from Albert Einstein is relevant to that.  Thank you.
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

Wrong!

The 6 days it says GOD took to create the earth (Gods days?). A day for God may have been a 100 million years for humans!

This has been expoused by many religions!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

\ A day for God may have been a 100 million years for humans!
    Posted by sk8ter2008

As you have liked to say re: meaning of constitutional amendments: Show me where in the bible it says that.

The explanation you provide is actually embraced only by reform movements in various religions, who are trying to hold onto their belief in God despite the fact that modern science makes a literal read of the bible impossible.

Other questions in the survey cover those beliefs, ie, people who believe in God, believe in evolution, and believe the earth is 5 billion years old... ie, people who believe in God but not necessarily the Bible being 100% God's word.

So, while people certainly can think along the lines of your example, your example says nothing of the 40-50% of the figure.  That figure refers to people believing that all life was created in present form as per the WORDS IN THE BIBLE....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: The actual threat of "national suicide" : Ok, that's a good thing.  But this thread is simply to note the dangers posed to the sciences when 40-50% of surveyed people think otherwise - that the earth and all its creatures were literally created in present form 4,000 years ago. This, of course, requires one to believe that all scientific evidence to the contrary is the result of a hardcore pratical joke by God.
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

One could develop a construct to create any belief you want, it all has to do with your base assumptions.

I happen to believe in a higher power.  I also believe that we have free will and that the higher power has a lot better things to do then control my day to day actions or those of others.  We learn new things in science everyday.  Somethings that were science fact 100 years ago are now explained by revised science fact.

We could all just be stuck in some beings snow globe or some other scenario from the twilight zone. But for now I'll go with evolution and a higher being because something started it all......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: The actual threat of "national suicide" : One could develop a construct to create any belief you want, it all has to do with your base assumptions. I happen to believe in a higher power.  I also believe that we have free will and that the higher power has a lot better things to do then control my day to day actions or those of others.  We learn new things in science everyday.  Somethings that were science fact 100 years ago are now explained by revised science fact. We could all just be stuck in some beings snow globe or some other scenario from the twilight zone. But for now I'll go with evolution and a higher being because something started it all......
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

That's fine Joe and I respect that.  So I'm not taking aim at you or people with your beliefs in this thread.

I see a problem with support for advancement of the sciences when there are a significant amount of people who think differently, and believe that despite all indications to the contrary, the Earth and everything on it was created in present form 6,000 years ago.

There really are those people, and the surveys show quite a significant amount of them.

Sections
Shortcuts