The Basketeers are Striking, Boycotting and Standing for what is right!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The Basketeers are Striking, Boycotting and Standing for what is right!

Something pretty remarkable is happening in Massachusetts. One would have to be living under a rock to have missed the latest chapter in the Demoulas/Market Basket Drama.

Long time CEO, Artie T. Demoulas was removed from his position last month by a vindictive cousin and a group of family members who are not content to be millionaires for essentially doing nothing. No..they want more. They did not like what they termed "reckless spending" by Artie T. Of course, this reckless spending consisted of savings for customers as well as compensation that keeps many employees there for decades. 

When the vindictive cousin, Artie S and he family gained control of the board and ousted Artie T....they hired their two "board consultants" to be CEO's. Jimmy G ooch ( who essentially ruined Radio Shack) and Felicia Thornton ( who managed to sem-ruin Shaws..and specializes in liquidating assets) have been tone deaf at a minimum.  They fired 8 high level MB employees over the weekend after Friday's protests and rallies and have threatened to continue the firings until the employees of MB learn their place, I guess.

What Thornton, G ooch and the rest of the MB board did not count on was the level of loyalty from the front line employees on up to management. They underestimated the level of loyalty from the customers and community as well.

Yesterday, the employees of Market Basket held a rally in Tewksbury Ma. I was there and was blown away by the thousands of people in attendance and their passion. Not just employees, mind you, but customers, vendors, members of the community and politicians. Yesterday's rally was twice as big as the one held on Friday. The movement on social media is bigger and growing by the hour. The story has gone national.

What bears watching is that this type of movement is somewhat unprecedented. This is not an organized labor movement..in fact the irony is that MB employees are a rarity in the industry..but with Artie T. at the helm, employees were never concerned about whether or not they were treated fairly. There is no blueprint for what is going on but it is something that will no doubt be covered in future business school courses.

Thornton and G ooch underestimated the people of the New England area, of Massachusetts and most specifically the Merrimack Valley area. This area has a long and rich history of standing up for worker rights and for beloved CEO's. Arthur S. should have know better.

It will be interesting to see what the final analysis brings. Will the BOD reinstate Artie T as CEO ( this is the only demand of the protestors)..or will this really be the beginning of the end of the Market Basket chain as we know it.

I hope the board does the right thing when they meet on Friday.

It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: The Basketeers are Striking, Boycotting and Standing for what is right!

I went to a Market Basket once.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

This struggle is a good example of what is wrong with corporate America. 

Market Basket has great products, great service and great pricing. For example, you can get a box of cereal for $2.50 there that costs $4.29 at a crap store like Crosby's or Shaws. You can get Peets Coffee for $6.99 instead of $9.99, etc. On top of that, this year you get 4% taken off everything you buy. Easily you can save 25-30% on your grocery bill.

So what does that mean? There is a huge imbalance in the market. I can drive by a Shaws or Stop and Shop that is close to a Market Basket. Virtually no one in the Shaws or Stop and Shop. Parking lot is filled at Market Basket. Prices much lower at Market Basket. Employees at Market Basket - higher wages, no union.

The two new CEOs and their supporters will gladly come in raise prices and reduce wages. They will lose business but profit margins will go up. They will take a huge portion of the profit for themselves, taking it from reduced wages for  the employees and higher prices for the customers. 

A thriving company, with loyal customers and happy employees is destroyed and turned into shiite like Shaws, Stop and Shop, etc.  All of this for the greed of a few people. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I went to a Market Basket once.

[/QUOTE]

What's the matter, did they make you uncomfortable?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Shaw's has actually made good strides in the right direction since they came under new ownership. I work for a distributor( Im a retail reset merchandiser) that provides Shaw's with 90% of their natural and organic products. Since me and my team have started doing resets of their Wild harvest section( The big things now is Gluten free products and in most stores they have been expanding GF sets to mostly 24 and 28 foot sets) we as a company have seen a 50% increase in sales. Also most of the Shaw's that are in Boston are now switching over to the star market name. I guess because people think of star market as a higher class supermarket? 

Regarding Market basket though,most of the ones that i have been in are dirty and smelly. The one we have near me in Nashua, when you get to the deli you had best not breathe through you're nose unless you wanna become sick from the smell. I don't know if they don't clean behind the there or what but it smells god awful.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This struggle is a good example of what is wrong with corporate America. 

Market Basket has great products, great service and great pricing. For example, you can get a box of cereal for $2.50 there that costs $4.29 at a crap store like Crosby's or Shaws. You can get Peets Coffee for $6.99 instead of $9.99, etc. On top of that, this year you get 4% taken off everything you buy. Easily you can save 25-30% on your grocery bill.

So what does that mean? There is a huge imbalance in the market. I can drive by a Shaws or Stop and Shop that is close to a Market Basket. Virtually no one in the Shaws or Stop and Shop. Parking lot is filled at Market Basket. Prices much lower at Market Basket. Employees at Market Basket - higher wages, no union.

The two new CEOs and their supporters will gladly come in raise prices and reduce wages. They will lose business but profit margins will go up. They will take a huge portion of the profit for themselves, taking it from reduced wages for  the employees and higher prices for the customers. 

A thriving company, with loyal customers and happy employees is destroyed and turned into shiite like Shaws, Stop and Shop, etc.  All of this for the greed of a few people. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree..and this is one of the reasons this case is now being watched so closely across the country.

Funny..isn't it how Market Basket was able to offer fair prices to their customers, excellent wages and benefits to their employees...yet still make billions for their shareholders ( the Demoulas family)?

All of that is in danger of being undone because the millions a year each shareholder currently receives is not enough for them. They want more and are willing to risk an incredibly successful business model to do it.  To me the writing was on the wall when the board, stacked by Arthur S. voted to take 300 million ( about 60 percent of the the company's cash) out of the cash reserves and distribute it to shareholders.

The new board, under Arthur S. plans to sink the Market Basket ship out of greed. They want to their big payout.  Why else would they hire 2 CEO's with proven track records of sinking companies?

I don't think Market Basket as we know it is ever coming back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shaw's has actually made good strides in the right direction since they came under new ownership. I work for a distributor( Im a retail reset merchandiser) that provides Shaw's with 90% of their natural and organic products. Since me and my team have started doing resets of their Wild harvest section( The big things now is Gluten free products and in most stores they have been expanding GF sets to mostly 24 and 28 foot sets) we as a company have seen a 50% increase in sales. Also most of the Shaw's that are in Boston are now switching over to the star market name. I guess because people think of star market as a higher class supermarket? 

Regarding Market basket though,most of the ones that i have been in are dirty and smelly. The one we have near me in Nashua, when you get to the deli you had best not breathe through you're nose unless you wanna become sick from the smell. I don't know if they don't clean behind the there or what but it smells god awful.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

I try to hold on tightly

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

-Times of grace

[/QUOTE]

Good point about the Market Basket stores being somewhat smelly. I have gone to various stores over the years and I understand what you mean. Some of them are like that and I am not sure why. They don't look particularly dirty. There are three in my general vicinity that are very clean and don't smell. Everything is usually spit shine clean.

My nephew and his wife echo your sentiments about Shaw's over the past couple of years. They've seen an improvement and do all of their shopping at Shaw's. It is a little too inconvenient for me. The Shaw's in North Reading was the only Shaw's I had ever been in where it was always clean and the people were always helpful..and that one closed down. When I used to live near Salem NH we would go there ( this was years and years ago)...but it because pretty gross so we stopped going.

One thing I like about Market Basket is they will carry items at your request. I have a specific and very serious food allergy and there were a couple of products I would purchase for years at Whole Foods because they were the only ones who sold them. One day, I happened to be chatting with the grocery manager at my local Market Basket and mentioned how much I wish they would carry these products because I hated paying Whole Foods prices for them. He asked for the specifics and said no problem...that he would request them. Two weeks later they were stocking the shelves with them. To me..that's service.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to hypertext's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sadly, it was only in the last several years that I discovered MB. Sure, it was a little crazy at first, but when you got to know the vibe you discovered you got a good thing..... cut my food budget in half while actually eating healthier.

I fear it's been ruined for everyone. Just sad all around.

[/QUOTE]

Same here.

If the new management has their way MB will be no different than the other stores around here. 

This is like RINO Republicans, like Charlie Baker. Why vote for the fake liberal when I can vote for a real one like Marcia Coakley?

So when MB is transformed to look like Shaws or Stop and Shop, I might as well go to the real Shaws as opposed to the Shaws wannabees at the new MB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

I try to hold on tightly

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

-Times of grace

[/QUOTE]

Good point about the Market Basket stores being somewhat smelly. I have gone to various stores over the years and I understand what you mean. Some of them are like that and I am not sure why. They don't look particularly dirty. There are three in my general vicinity that are very clean and don't smell. Everything is usually spit shine clean.

My nephew and his wife echo your sentiments about Shaw's over the past couple of years. They've seen an improvement and do all of their shopping at Shaw's. It is a little too inconvenient for me. The Shaw's in North Reading was the only Shaw's I had ever been in where it was always clean and the people were always helpful..and that one closed down. When I used to live near Salem NH we would go there ( this was years and years ago)...but it because pretty gross so we stopped going.

One thing I like about Market Basket is they will carry items at your request. I have a specific and very serious food allergy and there were a couple of products I would purchase for years at Whole Foods because they were the only ones who sold them. One day, I happened to be chatting with the grocery manager at my local Market Basket and mentioned how much I wish they would carry these products because I hated paying Whole Foods prices for them. He asked for the specifics and said no problem...that he would request them. Two weeks later they were stocking the shelves with them. To me..that's service.

[/QUOTE]

What kind of food allergy do you have Cricket???

If you are not going to shop at MB anymore, visit the Shaw's in Wakefield.  Ask the person who takes care of the Wild harvest to bring in the food's that you require for you're allergy. I'm sure they will bring it in for you. I can't tell you how many times i have had people ask me to cut in products into set's because of a customer request. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sadly, it was only in the last several years that I discovered MB. Sure, it was a little crazy at first, but when you got to know the vibe you discovered you got a good thing..... cut my food budget in half while actually eating healthier.

I fear it's been ruined for everyone. Just sad all around.

[/QUOTE]

Same here.

If the new management has their way MB will be no different than the other stores around here. 

This is like RINO Republicans, like Charlie Baker. Why vote for the fake liberal when I can vote for a real one like Marcia Coakley?

So when MB is transformed to look like Shaws or Stop and Shop, I might as well go to the real Shaws as opposed to the Shaws wannabees at the new MB.

[/QUOTE]

Have you tried shaw's in the last 2 to 3 years? If you havn't give it another chance. You might like what you find.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Market Basket is indeed cheap but I gave up shopping there. It was regularly so packed (at least where I went) that I might as well go to a more expensive supermarket, spend an hour less, and then put in a half hour of billable time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Market Basket is indeed cheap but I gave up shopping there. It was regularly so packed (at least where I went) that I might as well go to a more expensive supermarket, spend an hour less, and then put in a half hour of billable time.

[/QUOTE]

Haha...that has always been my complaint. I try to go early in the morning or not at all.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Yeah..... the whole "I'm a lawyer" thing gets a little tiresome sometimes.

"Cool story, bro"

Look, if it bothers you so much, why don't you just go head and in your mind insert "and do half an hour of work"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

I try to hold on tightly

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

-Times of grace

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you are not going to shop at MB anymore, visit the Shaw's in Wakefield.  Ask the person who takes care of the Wild harvest to bring in the food's that you require for you're allergy. I'm sure they will bring it in for you. I can't tell you how many times i have had people ask me to cut in products into set's because of a customer request. 

[/QUOTE]

Peanuts and tree nuts....a total bummer for sure! Two of the products my local MB carries at my request are Sunbutter ( I would be lost with it) and Enjoy Life bars. I will take you up on your suggestion....it is good to know that other grocery chains will do this!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah..... the whole "I'm a lawyer" thing gets a little tiresome sometimes.

[/QUOTE]

Why? I think the point of the example is that his time is valuable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Why? I think the point of the example is that his time is valuable.

Sadly, it isn't all that valuable at all....    

I was actually being rather cryptic. The main point was that I often pay for convenience, up to a certain amount I deem reasonable. If my grocery bill is $25 lower, but I have to trade an hour+ for that, I'm liable to just go to the more expensive store. (hence, if I really cared about the $25, I'd just have to work a bit - and still save time).

I swear, I couldn't even move a cart around in the Somerville MB. I'd be squeezing around carts, etc, and then the lines were incredibly wrong. Just not worth the hassle to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Why? I think the point of the example is that his time is valuable. [/QUOTE]

Sadly, it isn't all that valuable at all....    

I was actually being rather cryptic. The main point was that I often pay for convenience, up to a certain amount I deem reasonable. If my grocery bill is $25 lower, but I have to trade an hour+ for that, I'm liable to just go to the more expensive store. (hence, if I really cared about the $25, I'd just have to work a bit - and still save time).

I swear, I couldn't even move a cart around in the Somerville MB. I'd be squeezing around carts, etc, and then the lines were incredibly wrong. Just not worth the hassle to me.

[/QUOTE]

Ahh...I see what you mean. I am willing to bet a lot of people do the same. I am generally frugal by nature..but will pay extra for certain conveniences as long as it balances out.

If I find I need a grocery item and it happens to be a peak shopping time, I am more likely to go to a smaller, more expensive specialty store in order to save time.

My husband hates shopping at MB for the reasons you listed and his all time pet peeve...that they stock the shelves during shopping hours..lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

I try to hold on tightly

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

-Times of grace

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Peanuts and tree nuts....a total bummer for sure! Two of the products my local MB carries at my request are Sunbutter ( I would be lost with it) and Enjoy Life bars. I will take you up on your suggestion....it is good to know that other grocery chains will do this!!

[/QUOTE]

Shaw's actually already carries both products so you won't even have to be bothered with having to request these items. Although i don't know how the selection for the enjoy life bars are( i know you probably like certain flavor's)  at that store as it hasn't been scheduled for a reset yet. But they should have both the creamy and chunky sunbutter for you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Market Basket can be crowded (or used to be anyway) and take more time than going to other stores. It is a trade-off for sure. I have learned when to go and I go a couple of times a week so I can get away with the Express line.

Speaking of the check out line - Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. $0.69 compared to $1.00 or more else where. One time they had a sale 2 for $1. One time I picked one up compulsively at CVS waiting for my meds (for psychosis of course). $1.29. Almost had a heart attack.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

I try to hold on tightly

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

-Times of grace

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Shaw's actually already carries both products so you won't even have to be bothered with having to request these items. Although i don't know how the selection for the enjoy life bars are( i know you probably like certain flavor's)  at that store as it hasn't been scheduled for a reset yet. But they should have both the creamy and chunky sunbutter for you.

[/QUOTE]

That is awesome to know...thanks :-) I do have my favorites for the Enjoy Life bars but I will check it out. Even MB and Whole Foods don't always have my favorite flavor -chocolate..lol..but there are enough good flavors anyhow.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Unless we have guests, we don't really plan specific meals for specific days. Someone cooks something, from what's fresh and available. I keep a freezer full of various meats and make sure to have something defrosted for the evening.

So when I go to a supermarket, I'm buying only things that are on sale - except if there's some necessity. Otherwise, we stock up on everything we either eat in large quantities or can freeze at Costco. That even beats MB on most things.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Unless we have guests, we don't really plan specific meals for specific days. Someone cooks something, from what's fresh and available. I keep a freezer full of various meats and make sure to have something defrosted for the evening.

So when I go to a supermarket, I'm buying only things that are on sale - except if there's some necessity. Otherwise, we stock up on everything we either eat in large quantities or can freeze at Costco. That even beats MB on most things.

[/QUOTE]

That is pretty much how it goes in our house as well. I belong to a CSA, get my meat from a small local butcher and started shopping at Costco a little over a year ago. I find myself getting more and more items at Costco which works out well. I agree..the savings are great! My grocery store trips are limited to the handfuls of things that I cannot get at any of those places.

On a somewhat comical note..as part of the drama unfolding on social media..someone posted a somewhat panicked comment when MB was out of produce..wondering where she would get it. I chimed in to try one of the dozens of local farms in the area...it was like it never occurred to her...lol

Sections
Shortcuts