The Beer (n' Politics) Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Beer (n' Politics) Thread

As a longtime homebrewer and beer fan, I've found political discussions are sometimes unavoidable when we're 'in our cups'.  But beer is a great equalizer well suited to a great democracy.  Even at tastings, disagreements about bitterness and aroma are hardly ever more than civil...we can politely disagree.

So, in the good-natured spirit of that, let this thread be the ongoing debate of all things beer-related.  Post your favorites, recent tastes, reviews and tips that everyone else can learn about and discover.

My first selection:

Three Heads Brewing Co's (NY) "Too Kind Double IPA"

Hoppier than the original, little bro "The Kind IPA", as it should be, but not as boozy as I expected.  Well-layered with citrus and pine; finishes kinda dry; smooth and drinkable throughout.

Elsewhere, my beer fridge is down its last 6 cans of Heady Topper.  Chances are slim they'll survive the St. Pat's weekend.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: The Beer (n' Politics) Thread

Currently I'm hooked on the Blue Moon. That's a tasty little brew.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

I just returned from a ski week in Colorado.  In addition to the 50 inches of fresh snow in 6 days and having a chance to visit a couple new 'recreational' shops, I had plenty of local brews that combined to make a memorable trip.  I can't recall many of them, but a few tasty ones had unforgettable names...Pandora's Bochs, Sweaty Betty Blonde, and Plaid Bas-tard.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I tend towards higher end macro brews like Sam, Blue Moon, and Harpoon.  I also enjoy Heineken for its lightness and taste.  I am not above an ice cold bud though and of the large mega macro brews I prefer bud products over Coors and Miller.  

When it comes to microbrews I have to admit a fondness for the Long Trail brand, a good quality microbrewer out of Vermont I beleive. Their flagship beer is very hoppy and pleasantly bitter, suited for an experienced beer drinker, while the occaisional beer drinker may find the the taste too intense.  Newport Storm out of Newport RI is a nice microbrew as well.  The founders are all New England guys and they do a good job with the product.  I don't know if they still make their annual triple bocks but from 2002 to 2004 I found myself with a bottle of each years batches coutesy of a friend that lives in Newport and I really enjoyed them.

Recently while having dinner at Redbones in Davis Sq a friend was having a local brew called Jack's Abby (out of Framingham) and after sampling it myself I have to say it wasn't bad.  Not sure where one could find it in stores, but the brewery offers tours and tastings for those in that area.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Love the Nut Brown Ale at John Harvards Brew House!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

on a strick budget. learned to like PBR. $2/24oz drafts

prefer blue moon, harpoon ufo, shock top

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Current favorite is Racer 5 India Pale Ale.

It is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook,Cascade, Columbus and Cententennial.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Recently while having dinner at Redbones in Davis Sq a friend was having a local brew called Jack's Abby (out of Framingham) and after sampling it myself I have to say it wasn't bad.  Not sure where one could find it in stores, but the brewery offers tours and tastings for those in that area.  

[/QUOTE]

Jack's Abbey has become one of the boston area's most respected smaller breweries..not faint praise.  They brew lagers exclusively, but they have covered a lot of ground within that style.  Their Hoponius Union and Mass Rising IPL are personal favorites, but I haven't had a bad beer from them yet...most are very well-balanced and refined.  The Smoke & Dagger rauch-style beer is darkly delicious with an intense roasted malt flavor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Best bourbon I've had was Pappy Van Winkle 20yr. Godly. But I'm not a corporate lawyer so I can't really justify buying a bottle of it.

[/QUOTE]

I am dying to find a bottle of the stuff and when I do, I am going to buy it and any others in stock.  Hard to come by given their limited productions runs, but I would gladly put down a stack of paper to get a few bottles. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Whale's Tail Pale Ale: Very well balanced; crisp, but with some hints of a brown or golden ale thrown in.

Pretty Things Jack D'Or: A bit more robust than Whale's Tale; very good.

Oxbow Farmhouse Pale Ale (Maine): Simply perfect.

Maine Beer Company - Peeper Ale.

Stone Brewing puts out some great ones, but they're generally very aggressive and not for everyone, whether it's hops (IPA; Ruination IPA) or hops/malt (Arrogant B_____d)

I've lately fallen in love with Flemish Sour Ales. Trouble is finding them...   

The occsasional Old Rasputin or other imperial stout is a treat, but not for everyone either: thick pitch-black elixirs with rich earth/chocolate/coffee/etc tastes.

Though I'm in a bit of a rye whiskey / bourbon phase these days. Current favorites within affordable price ranges: Michter's Rye (uncommonly rich and smooth for a rye), Rittenhouse Rye (sharper, taste fades to peat), Sazerac Rye (outstanding), Buffalo Creek Bourbon.

Best bourbon I've had was Pappy Van Winkle 20yr. Godly. But I'm not a corporate lawyer so I can't really justify buying a bottle of it.

[/QUOTE]

I like some whiskeys/ryes/bourbons, but not enough to distinguish between most.  (Maker's Mark is a fave, but I usually go for the Jameson's.)  Single-malt scotch is another story.

One of my favorite trends in craft beer is using spirit casks for aging beer.  Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and the Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Stout are both exquisite examples.  Innis & Gunn is one of the pioneers of the style using whisky, scotch and rum barrels for aging.  

My most recent homebrew batch was an american IPA brewed with 25% rye malt and ample portions of chinook and cascade hops.  The rye adds a smoky, spicy character which belies the 5.9% ABV.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

One of my favorite trends in craft beer is using spirit casks for aging beer.  Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and the Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Stout are both exquisite examples.  Innis & Gunn is one of the pioneers of the style using whisky, scotch and rum barrels for aging.  

Allagash has an excellent one. I think the name was "Curieux" or something like it. Bought some when I was visiting the brewery. Not sure where to find it around here.

My most recent homebrew batch was an american IPA brewed with 25% rye malt and ample portions of chinook and cascade hops.  The rye adds a smoky, spicy character which belies the 5.9% ABV.

Heh, nice. I intend to try homebrewing at some point...

Allagash Curieux is excellent. Very refined. Their standards are top-notch, and they mostly stick with what their best at: belgians and wilds.  Curieux is unique in that it's a belgian tripel, whereas most 'bourbon beers' are porters or stouts.

It's not exactly common, but not uncommon, either, in stores that carry Allagash and/or decent selections of bombers.  Pricey @ ~$18 a bottle, which might spook some smaller packies.  Draft is superior, IMO.

Craft Beer Cellar is one of the best sources I can think of....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

Heading to the Extreme Beer Fest @ Seaport WTC this evening. Will try to remember to bring a pen and paper for any notes...   

http://www.beeradvocate.com/ebf/beer/

[/QUOTE]

Perfect.

Maybe a new beer to try while the sweet 16 is still going on!!!