The "BIG O", SOFT ON POT !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: The

In response to twelve_angry_men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course the PotUS has the power to pardon tens of thousands of people, if he can pardon one he can pardon a million.

[/QUOTE]

And yet they never have. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As a follow up to his stance, he should declare a general pardon for anyone sitting in jail for anything relating to small quantities of pot.

[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't the federal law need to change for that to happen? Whether you like it or not the law is the law. You can't pick and choose which ones you'd like enforced.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.  Pretty sure the president can pardon anyone he wants.

[/QUOTE]Like his Aunt & Uncle !!!!   That we pay for every month !!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Of course the PotUS has the power to pardon tens of thousands of people, if he can pardon one he can pardon a million.

And yet they never have. 

[/QUOTE]

The fact that you need to split hairs between 7000 and 10000 is not exactly an argument to be proud of.

[/QUOTE]

Who pardoned 7,000 incarcerated felons?

You think there's only 10,000 in jail for pot? Hahaha....now THAT isn't something to be proud of 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And yet they never have. 

[/QUOTE]

The fact that you need to split hairs between 7000 and 10000 is not exactly an argument to be proud of.

[/QUOTE]

Who pardoned 7,000 incarcerated felons?

You think there's only 10,000 in jail for pot? Hahaha....now THAT isn't something to be proud of 

[/QUOTE]

The Johnson pardons were prior to the establishment of the federal prison system, but 7,000 people in 1865 would be about 65,000 today.

When Obama loosens restrictions on the health care law, I believe he is technically granting reprieves to tens of thousands of people.  That's why I look at conservatives sideways when they say it's unconstitutional - it's one of the few things that's pretty black and white in the constitution - he has the power to grant pardons and reprieves for federal offenses.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE] Not surprised, and personally I think Colorado has the right idea.  But when my wife admonishes me about the grandkids I have some second thoughts. [/QUOTE]

Don't let that emotional reaction trump rationality.

Fact of the matter is that legalization removes the incentive for black market trade, which means the only way a kid gets pot is if he gets someone over 21 to buy it for him, or steals it from parents - like booze.

And booze was always harder to get than pot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] Not surprised, and personally I think Colorado has the right idea.  But when my wife admonishes me about the grandkids I have some second thoughts. [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never found it harder to get booze. How many homes had pot lying around the house? Bet most had alcohol though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    []

Glad to hear it.

Only an idiot or an ideologue could try and argue that pot is more dangerous than alcohol or tobacco.

Unfortunately, the cultural stigma against pot will remain for quite some time.  Meanwhile, the percentage of americans who have tried it will increase, and poor minorities will still be locked up for it disproportionately...

...as the "war on drugs" continues toward its big government goals unabated.

[]

Maybe those poor minorities shouldn't get caught with illegal substances. Just sayin.

[/QUOTE]

The fact that they "shouldn't get caught with illegal substances" does not in any way ratify the racially disproportionate enforcement of the law.

I don't have the link at the moment, but I believe they compared anonymous survey re: current usage of drugs like pot, and they found that whites and blacks of the same economic classes got high at the same rate. But, blacks were 4 times more likely to get arrested.

I find that disgusting.

The cops go after them because they're easy pickings and, since they're poor, less likely to get a top notch attorney (since the top notch attorneys that take indigent cases focus on murder charges - not drug possession), and less likely to have a support system.

Meanwhile upper middle class white kid gets a good lawyer, has big family support, and can tell the judge he'll be going to 'rehab' or whatever. Ok, off you go.

Same thing happened with guns. I recall the first recent reviews of NYC's stop and frisk. Whites were found to have more illegal guns when all the stops were looked at, but they cops still stopped blacks nine times as frequently.

That isn't even counting other minorities.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My question is whether his pardon power is restricted to federal crimes or does it include state and local statutes. I'm too lazy to look it up.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting question.

I would suspect he can pardon all b/c surpremacy clause, but I could be wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    []

[QUOTE] Not surprised, and personally I think Colorado has the right idea.  But when my wife admonishes me about the grandkids I have some second thoughts.

[]

I never found it harder to get booze. How many homes had pot lying around the house? Bet most had alcohol though.

[/QUOTE]

I found it harder to get booze. But I also didn't count "stealing it from someone else's house" as a viable option   :P

Had to find someone to buy it for me, which was usually someone with an older sibling who visited occasionally.

Whereas with pot, all you had to do was know which locker to stop by....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Anyone wonder what happened to the PATRIOTS last week in "DENVER'S MILE HIGH STADIUM" ???

Sections
Shortcuts