The Catholic Church and "Personhood"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Re: The Catholic Church and

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

My mum is one of the sharpest people I know. Do you never check with yours on matters of childhood? Didn't realize there was more then one Immaculate Conception. The one I went to was on the North Shore. No offence meant but maybe you were getting discounted tuition?

Irregardless the point is not worth aguing. Maybe you have fond memories of your Catholic upbringing but the times have changed and a Catholic education today comes with no breaks.

No discounted tuition.  I also played sports so I knew people from most of the Catholic Schools around Boston and the tuition thing was always dicussed.  Possibly your church was not in the Diocese of Boston.  But if you cannont remember the cost of your tuition without going to your Mom, then you should really stay out of the discussion.

"To add- I don't know a single person who gets married or buried in the Catholic Church without a hefty fee. My cousin, a lifelong member of a Catholic parish, could not even have his child baptized at their church. Why? because that child was the product of in vitro fertilization"

above by you.

I will call you on this as well.  If it were your child then I may debate you on this.  But people sometimes do not want to put the time and preparation into sacraments, so they avoid them.  Then they blame the church and their clown friends believe them.

Confirmation has been so much on the decline that it is no longer mandatory  and the church will now marry people without their getting this sacrament.

AYFKM? Are you for real? Listen buddy you seem to think you are an expert on the Catholic church. Is this you acknowledging you lost the debate b/c now you calling people clowns? With regards to my COUSIN there was no time and preparation to put in. The answer from the church was NO because the baby was born in vitro. You don't accept it? Too bad. Deal with it!

What I am telling you is the Catholic Church will baptize anyone, despite how they are born or where they are born or how old they are. Many cathoics are lazy about their faith and are considered "twice a year Catholics".  Perhaps your cousin did not like the Priest and he decided not to go thru with the sacrament.  If this was the case then he could go to another parish.

Now run along to your mom and ask her what she thinks about that.

The data I gave you on the tuition is solid and again it pertains to Boston area schools.  The info I gave you on baptiam is solid as well.

The data I gave you on the tuition is solid and again it pertains to Boston area schools. The info I gave you on baptiam is solid as well.

Do you have a link for this data?

I know for fact that my parents paid $100.00 a month in the 70's for me to attend catholic school in the Boston area.  I do know that family members of firefighters and Boston cops got a discount for attending the catholic schools, perhaps this was your case.

And what kids in grammar school discuss tuition? Or high school for that matter? You are so full of cocky

Thank you! I was starting to think it was me! Tuition was the last thing on my mind as a kid!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

Thank you! I was starting to think it was me! Tuition was the last thing on my mind as a kid!

Stand by for his token lines.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

My mum is one of the sharpest people I know. Do you never check with yours on matters of childhood? Didn't realize there was more then one Immaculate Conception. The one I went to was on the North Shore. No offence meant but maybe you were getting discounted tuition?

Irregardless the point is not worth aguing. Maybe you have fond memories of your Catholic upbringing but the times have changed and a Catholic education today comes with no breaks.

No discounted tuition.  I also played sports so I knew people from most of the Catholic Schools around Boston and the tuition thing was always dicussed.  Possibly your church was not in the Diocese of Boston.  But if you cannont remember the cost of your tuition without going to your Mom, then you should really stay out of the discussion.

"To add- I don't know a single person who gets married or buried in the Catholic Church without a hefty fee. My cousin, a lifelong member of a Catholic parish, could not even have his child baptized at their church. Why? because that child was the product of in vitro fertilization"

above by you.

I will call you on this as well.  If it were your child then I may debate you on this.  But people sometimes do not want to put the time and preparation into sacraments, so they avoid them.  Then they blame the church and their clown friends believe them.

Confirmation has been so much on the decline that it is no longer mandatory  and the church will now marry people without their getting this sacrament.

AYFKM? Are you for real? Listen buddy you seem to think you are an expert on the Catholic church. Is this you acknowledging you lost the debate b/c now you calling people clowns? With regards to my COUSIN there was no time and preparation to put in. The answer from the church was NO because the baby was born in vitro. You don't accept it? Too bad. Deal with it!

What I am telling you is the Catholic Church will baptize anyone, despite how they are born or where they are born or how old they are. Many cathoics are lazy about their faith and are considered "twice a year Catholics".  Perhaps your cousin did not like the Priest and he decided not to go thru with the sacrament.  If this was the case then he could go to another parish.

The data I gave you on the tuition is solid and again it pertains to Boston area schools.  The info I gave you on baptiam is solid as well.

The data I gave you on the tuition is solid and again it pertains to Boston area schools. The info I gave you on baptiam is solid as well.

I know for fact that my parents paid $100.00 a month in the 70's for me to attend catholic school in the Boston area.  I do know that family members of firefighters and Boston cops got a discount for attending the catholic schools, perhaps this was your case.

And what kids in grammar school discuss tuition? Or high school for that matter? You are so full of cocky

Stand by for his token lines.

Aye! I can hardly wait!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

the point of the tuition discussion was to explain to miscricket that the church isn't all about business.  possibly immaculate in newburyport charged more.  that school doesnt fall under the boston diocese..  lots of factors determined tuition such as weekly donations and economic make up.  i know for years i gave donations to my high school.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

the point of the tuition discussion was to explain to miscricket that the church isnt all about business.  possibly immaculate in newburyport charged more.  that school doesnt fall under the boston diocese..  lots of factors detrrmined tuition such as weekly donations and economic make up.  i know for years i gave donations to my high school.

Jackbu thinks he's the Pope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

the point of the tuition discussion was to explain to miscricket that the church isnt all about business.  possibly immaculate in newburyport charged more.  that school doesnt fall under the boston diocese..  lots of factors detrrmined tuition such as weekly donations and economic make up.  i know for years i gave donations to my high school.

Now that's funny!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Now that's funny!!

Put your money where your mouth is and tell me where you went to school where it cost $100.00 per month.  No one I know breaks down tuition by the month but rather gives a yearly figure.  If you were paying by the month, then it was you who needed the financial help.

I have already told you were I went to high school, so return the respect and give the name of the school which you claimed you paid $100.00 per month. 

I know you live on the internet so research the figures of which I posted.

And to falano: $900.00 a year is a far cry from $1,500.00 of which you posted.  You are still bodering crazy if you think anyone in the boston area was paying $1,500.00 in the 70's for a catholic grammar school education.

Nice try but Boston Cops did not get discounts on tuition. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

above by you.

I could not tell you how much my grandmother paid for tuition for me to go to a Catholic School. I can tell you that she was on a monthly plan..and that if she was a couple of days late with sending the check..I would get called out of class to go to the principal's office where I would sit while she called my grandmother.  I can also tell you that it was more than $100  a year..although granted it was a few years later than the mid 1970's.

I can also tell you that my 3rd grade teacher..a nun..routinely pounded on the backs of the boys. When I was in 4th grade..she pushed a student down the stairs. After that..we didn't see her anymore.

I don't think those things are a reflection of the Church..I think they are just a reflection of the individuals involved. But..I also think that the Church can't have it both ways. They can't run profitable businesses...but then hide behind Church doctrine when it is convenient. There should be consistency.

Of course beyond those things...I had a great experience and made many friendships which are still in place today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hi Al.... :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

above by you.

I could not tell you how much my grandmother paid for tuition for me to go to a Catholic School. I can tell you that she was on a monthly plan..and that if she was a couple of days late with sending the check..I would get called out of class to go to the principal's office where I would sit while she called my grandmother.  I can also tell you that it was more than $100  a year..although granted it was a few years later than the mid 1970's.

I can also tell you that my 3rd grade teacher..a nun..routinely pounded on the backs of the boys. When I was in 4th grade..she pushed a student down the stairs. After that..we didn't see her anymore.

I don't think those things are a reflection of the Church..I think they are just a reflection of the individuals involved. But..I also think that the Church can't have it both ways. They can't run profitable businesses...but then hide behind Church doctrine when it is convenient. There should be consistency.

Of course beyond those things...I had a great experience and made many friendships which are still in place today.

Well again, naming the school seems to be a difficulty on this board.  Again from the 1,000 emails of which you sent to me, I don't think you went to school in the arch diocese of Boston and I am pretty sure you did not go to grammar school at all during the 70's.  At the beginning of the 80's and even late 70's, the tuition in Boston Schools increased quickly as the nuns retired and were replaced by lay teachers.

But I will be waiting for you to contradict yourself and now tell me you went to school in the boston area.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

above by you.

Well again, naming the school seems to be a difficulty on this board.  Again from the 1,000 emails of which you sent to me, I don't think you went to school in the arch diocese of Boston and I am pretty sure you did not go to grammar school at all during the 70's.  At the beginning of the 80's and even late 70's, the tuition in Boston Schools increased quickly as the nuns retired and were replaced by lay teachers.

But I will be waiting for you to contradict yourself and now tell me you went to school in the boston area.

No where in  my post did I state that I went to school in or near Boston. I actually went to grammar school from 1974-1982..but if you think I am going to name the school I went to in a public discussion forum you are out of your mind. Really..once again..please work on your comprehension skills..it is tedious and tiring to explain things to you.

You seem fixated on the Boston Arch diocese..as if the Boston arch diocese represented the whole of the Catholic Church. When you participate in public discussion forums you should do it with the understanding that everyone brings different experiences. Perhaps once you grasp that concept..you will become a better blogger.

I agree that the cost of Catholic education increased dramatically when nuns were replaced with lay teachers...but even I find it hard to believe that tuition in any school was $100 for an entire year...unless it was a sibling discount.

Have a great night Jackbu..this conversation is cutting into my Big Bang Theory time..and therefore is going to take a back seat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

above by you.

No where in  my post did I state that I went to school in or near Boston. I actually went to grammar school from 1974-1982..but if you think I am going to name the school I went to in a public discussion forum you are out of your mind. Really..once again..please work on your comprehension skills..it is tedious and tiring to explain things to you.

You seem fixated on the Boston Arch diocese..as if the Boston arch diocese represented the whole of the Catholic Church. When you participate in public discussion forums you should do it with the understanding that everyone brings different experiences. Perhaps once you grasp that concept..you will become a better blogger.

I agree that the cost of Catholic education increased dramatically when nuns were replaced with lay teachers...but even I find it hard to believe that tuition in any school was $100 for an entire year...unless it was a sibling discount.

Have a great night Jackbu..this conversation is cutting into my Big Bang Theory time..and therefore is going to take a back seat.

I am not fixated on the arch diocese of Boston, it is where I went to school so I know what the tuition costs were.  Get a hold of yourself, no one is going to track you down. Remember that I already passed on your request to meet.  If you are going to come to the board to try to disprove someone, you should back up your facts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

I am not fixated on the arch diocese of Boston, it is where I went to school so I know what the tuition costs were.  Get a hold of yourself, no one is going to track you down. Remember that I already passed on your request to meet.  If you are going to come to the board to try to disprove someone, you should back up your facts.

You always did have trouble following along. I was the one that said they went to school in the Boston Diocese. When you show me the link for your data on the tuition costs for your Catholic education, I'll tell you which school I attended. I'll leave you with this hint, we played against St Columbkille in basketball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

above by you.

Here we go again..this would be fun if it weren't so tiresome.

I am not fixated on the arch diocese of Boston, it is where I went to school so I know what the tuition costs were. Yet you seem to think that your little world experience speaks for the entirety of Catholic diocese in the 70's. You are clearly unable to understand that other people may have had different experiences.

Get a hold of yourself, no one is going to track you down. Remember that I already passed on your request to meet.  Oh..relax and stop taking things so personally. There are other people more nuts than you who participate in forums like this. No one in their right mind is going to share personally identifiable information on a public board. That is inviting trouble. Oh..and by that way I must thank you for passing. The request was made impulsively..and against the advice of all my friends. You are proving tedious and tiresome to get rid of in the virtual world..I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be in the real world..lol. Oh..and while we're on the subject you seem fixated on those "thousands of e-mails". Is it thousands? I never bothered keeping track of a number...but really..you should move on from that...really..you sound rather needy when you keep harping on it.

If you are going to come to the board to try to disprove someone, you should back up your facts. Umm...isn't that what you are being asked to do? I've yet to see your proof in spite of the fact that it looks like at least two other posters have asked you for proof. Just so we are clear..is it your world view that YOU don't have to post any proof..but you expect others to do so? Surely..you don't expect me or any other poster to rely on just your word..? Because your word means oh..so.... much.

Finally..this is my last comment to you on this matter. I told you I would engage in debate with you when you showed at least a minimum of reading comprehension skill. Clearly you are too lazy to do that. Even a 3rd grader can see that I am not the one who questioned your Boston info...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

You always did have trouble following along. I was the one that said they went to school in the Boston Diocese. When you show me the link for your data on the tuition costs for your Catholic education, I'll tell you which school I attended. I'll leave you with this hint, we played against St Columbkille in basketball.

Ha..he probably has us confused. He tends to do that...thinking everyone who disagrees with him is the same poster. It's called projection. It is when one accuses others of what they themselves are guilty of.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

Ha..he probably has us confused. He tends to do that...thinking everyone who disagrees with him is the same poster. It's called projection. It is when one accuses others of what they themselves are guilty of.

[QUOTE]

I know miscricket can put two and two together, and knows who I am and that we are not the same person. Same can't be said for you, you're just not that smart. 

Stand by for the appearance of a new screen name. It's what he has done in the past. The sadness begins when he creates another name and "they" talk to each other. He is the true definition of projection. He is the last person I would share anything personal with!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

I know miscricket can put two and two together, and knows who I am and that we are not the same person. Same can't be said for you, you're just not that smart. 

Stand by for the appearance of a new screen name. It's what he has done in the past. The sadness begins when he creates another name and "they" talk to each other. He is the true definition of projection. He is the last person I would share anything personal with!

Everyone makes a regrettable error in judgment now and again...sharing anything about my life with him was for sure..mine. Actually the saddest thing is when he creates a new screen name that he then fights with....

My lesson in this is that when everyone..friend and foe..are all giving the same warnings..it's a good idea to listen. My bad that I ignored all the red flags.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

[QUOTE]

Everyone makes a regrettable error in judgment now and again...sharing anything about my life with him was for sure..mine. Actually the saddest thing is when he creates a new screen name that he then fights with....

My lesson in this is that when everyone..friend and foe..are all giving the same warnings..it's a good idea to listen. My bad that I ignored all the red flags.

Don't beat yourself up about it, we all make mistakes. I would be a millionare if I had a dollar for each mistake I've made. And we all have our weak moments.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to supply the data he claimed to have, because we KNOW that isn't going to happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Hi Al.... :-)

Hey miscricket:)...........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Now that's funny!!

Looks like we needed some humor in this thread. Okay, maybe Jacbu doesn't think he's the Pope. But he does act like he's a Cardinal:)........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

Now that's funny!!

Looks like we needed some humor in this thread. Okay, maybe Jacbu doesn't think he's the Pope. But he does act like he's a Cardinal:)........

Yeah he is a bird brain  :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Now that's funny!!

Or something..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Now that's funny!!

Yeah he is a bird brain  :-)

Oh snap...that's going to leave a mark..lol

Here's an interesting little tidbit. It seems that the Archdiocese of Boston covers most of eastern MA..so I guess Jackie boy is not the expert he thinks he is otherwise he would have known this.

That means the schools Msobstinate, faolano and I went to were all part of the same Boston Archdiocese as well. Since the majority is reporting higher tuition rates..then I would have to say that is probably closer to accurate.

I have stayed in touch with my 7th grade teacher over the years..maybe the next time I chat with her..I'll ask her what she remembers.

Since we all know Jack tends to get things confused..I would say the 100 a month is probably more like it. Either way..it wasn't even the point of the OP.

Sections
Shortcuts