In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to doozy-day's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, you are really reaching to protect Obama, I just think you are jealous that the US govt isn't smart enough to run things as well as Wal-mart.

Why don't you chase down all the bad prctices by Dupont, GE, Apple, Nike, and the scores of Defense Contractors that make Wal-mart look like a penny-candy store.

I know three or four people like you in my circle of aquaintences, you make enough money to boycott Wal-mart, and you walk around all high and mighty like you're better than everyone else because you don't believe in the "business model".

Try struggling to feed your kids, or make your mortgage payment month-to-month on a tight budget. 

You'll be shopping Wal-mart in no time, either that or you'll end up like a friend of mine.  He made the drastic escape to Vermont, sold his house, went off-grid with a cabin and solar panels, and now he eats dirt-sandwiches and fishes for trout in a stream.  claims he's never been happier.

Do us all a favor, go join him......

[/QUOTE]

Oh but see....the reason those people struggle to feed their kids or make their mortgage payment is that WalMart doesn't pay them enough. It's the fault of big bad WalMart that people chose to only equip themselves with enough skills to man a cash register. WalMart should pay these people $30/hr to put money into a cash drawer don't ya know...

[/QUOTE]

Stand on your feet for 8 hours dealing with the public.  You might realize its tougher than you think, and certainly tougher than spending half the day as a hall monitor on a message board.

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah it's tough...having the cash register tell you the exact change to give the customer. Putting the bills in the correct slots...how do they do it? It's amazing...

[/QUOTE]

Such hate for people you have deemed below your station, disgusting.

[/QUOTE]

Ah....so stating truths is considered hate? Gotcha. 

[/QUOTE]

Certainly is revealing. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: The Company Store

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow, you are really reaching to protect Obama, I just think you are jealous that the US govt isn't smart enough to run things as well as Wal-mart.

Why don't you chase down all the bad prctices by Dupont, GE, Apple, Nike, and the scores of Defense Contractors that make Wal-mart look like a penny-candy store.

I know three or four people like you in my circle of aquaintences, you make enough money to boycott Wal-mart, and you walk around all high and mighty like you're better than everyone else because you don't believe in the "business model".

Try struggling to feed your kids, or make your mortgage payment month-to-month on a tight budget. 

You'll be shopping Wal-mart in no time, either that or you'll end up like a friend of mine.  He made the drastic escape to Vermont, sold his house, went off-grid with a cabin and solar panels, and now he eats dirt-sandwiches and fishes for trout in a stream.  claims he's never been happier.

[/QUOTE]

Oh but see....the reason those people struggle to feed their kids or make their mortgage payment is that WalMart doesn't pay them enough. It's the fault of big bad WalMart that people chose to only equip themselves with enough skills to man a cash register. WalMart should pay these people $30/hr to put money into a cash drawer don't ya know...

[/QUOTE]

Stand on your feet for 8 hours dealing with the public.  You might realize its tougher than you think, and certainly tougher than spending half the day as a hall monitor on a message board.

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah it's tough...having the cash register tell you the exact change to give the customer. Putting the bills in the correct slots...how do they do it? It's amazing...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Certainly is revealing. 

[/QUOTE]

The fact that pinky thinks his hate for the great unwashed is a 'truth' shows how much of a pathetic loser he is.

He needs to denigrate others to feel better about himself.

[/QUOTE]

Do your meds ever make you happy?  Or, do they just make you an insufferable jerk and a bore?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Certainly is revealing. 

[/QUOTE]

The fact that pinky thinks his hate for the great unwashed is a 'truth' shows how much of a pathetic loser he is.

He needs to denigrate others to feel better about himself.

[/QUOTE]

Do your meds ever make you happy?  Or, do they just make you an insufferable jerk and a bore?

[/QUOTE]

Said the pot.

[/QUOTE]

High on life, baby!

and, definitely not down with these constant progressive attempts at central planning, setting wages, Obamacare.  The whole thing is just wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Hpw do those Far Right posters here feel about slavery? If I assume that they are not for it then it means that they are not for forcing people to work for no pay. But if that is in fact true then forcing them to work for 1 penny wowould really be the same thing. 

On the other hand businesses and free markets cannot thrive - and therefore the economy and its benefits are lost - if employees can use extortion to force employers to "overpay".

If both extremes are truly bad then there must be an ethical and pragmatic middle ground where employers can thrive and employees can make a living if they put in the work. So what is that middle ground? It needs to minimally be that someone willing to work a real full time job should be able to make enough to  live on without assistance. If they work well and hard they get reasonable pay for the job. The result is a reasonable minimum wage/compensation package. 

If we are only arguing about where the line is drawn, that is, over what is ethical and reasonable then we are all in AGREEMENT on the principle. 

SO what in the world is all the mindless namecalling and denigrating? Think about it... Just think abouut it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

You feel bullied

No, but why would you ask unless I was right?

I suppose "cyberbully" is the wrong term. You were probably the schoolyard bully's tagalong shrimp, running his mouth from behind the safety of someone else's fists. It's about all you do here.....constantly lying about people knowing that you are safe behind your keyboard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We get it....you hate WalMart...we get it...

Is it really a surprise to you that people with food stamps would shop at WalMart? People who don't have food stamps shop at WalMart for the cheaper prices...so why wouldn't people on food stamps also shop there???

[/QUOTE]

I do hate Walmart, as should everyone with a conscience.

Just about everyday we get a new thread here about how our 'Food Stamp President' is breaking all of the welfare records in a conspiracy to bribe voters.  The truth is we have record food stamps because companies like Walmart are exploiting us to pad their bottom line.  They are not alone, but they are the biggest, and their business model is spreading.

[/QUOTE]

Right...it's all WalMart's fault that there are 46 million people on food stamps....sigh

[/QUOTE]

Not just Walmart..but other big corporations who suppress wages as well. It is impossible to support yourself on an average Walmart wage without assistance. Wages in this country are at an all time low while corporate profits are at an all time high.

I get the argument that could be made that without government assistance companies would be forced to compete for workers and pay higher wages..but actually that would not be the case. When faced with a choice of no job or a poorly paying job, most people would have no choice but to settle for the poorly paying job.

This goes back to the argument that I've made on many occasions.  Our consumer society want more and more at cheaper and cheaper prices..but everything in life comes with a cost. I've used the McDonald's analogy a number of times. 99 cent big macs come at a cost too. You want stuff cheap then someone else has to pick up the other side. In this case..Walmart's cheap prices mean that in our shared society..we the people have to pick up the flack and help out the people who make those cheap prices possible. Usually that help comes in the form of government programs  such as food stamps.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

In the early 1900s, just about every coal mining town had a food and supply store that was owned by the coal mining company.  Workers would collect their paycheck and proptly give it back to the mining company at the company store.  Folk songs were written about 'owing your soul to the company store'

Fast forward 100 years to Walmart and their Everyday Low Wages.  Reports have come out that as many as 80% of their hourly employees qualify for food stamps, and the company encourages and trains their employees to apply, as do many others.  Gotta socialize those costs!

Well, as it turns out, Walmart has good reason to encourage food stamps because nearly 1 in 5 food stamp dollars is spent at Walmart.  18% of the $80 billion in food stamp dollars spent last year ended up in a Walmart cash register, with their own employees leading the charge.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/walmart-food-stamps_n_4181862.html

Quite a racket. 

[/QUOTE]

The flip side of the coin are all of the poor families and individuals who shop at walmart for low prices those paying through the nose because of high taxes and unemployment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Is it really a surprise to you that people with food stamps would shop at WalMart? People who don't have food stamps shop at WalMart for the cheaper prices...so why wouldn't people on food stamps also shop there???

[/QUOTE]

Just about everyday we get a new thread here about how our 'Food Stamp President' is breaking all of the welfare records in a conspiracy to bribe voters.  The truth is we have record food stamps because companies like Walmart are exploiting us to pad their bottom line.  They are not alone, but they are the biggest, and their business model is spreading.

[/QUOTE]

Right...it's all WalMart's fault that there are 46 million people on food stamps....sigh

[/QUOTE]

Not just Walmart..but other big corporations who suppress wages as well. It is impossible to support yourself on an average Walmart wage without assistance. Wages in this country are at an all time low while corporate profits are at an all time high.

I get the argument that could be made that without government assistance companies would be forced to compete for workers and pay higher wages..but actually that would not be the case. When faced with a choice of no job or a poorly paying job, most people would have no choice but to settle for the poorly paying job.

This goes back to the argument that I've made on many occasions.  Our consumer society want more and more at cheaper and cheaper prices..but everything in life comes with a cost. I've used the McDonald's analogy a number of times. 99 cent big macs come at a cost too. You want stuff cheap then someone else has to pick up the other side. In this case..Walmart's cheap prices mean that in our shared society..we the people have to pick up the flack and help out the people who make those cheap prices possible. Usually that help comes in the form of government programs  such as food stamps.

[/QUOTE]

You really think companies are suppressing wages?sigh.

it's the economy, stupid.

(the above is a quote from none other than Bill Clinton)

wages at a all time low/corporate profits at all time high?

fixing the economy addresses both. But, don't expect progressives to recognize that the problem is government when it comes to the economy.  The general progressive view is anything the government does is good. How else can you explain their blind support of this economy crippling thing we call Obamacare?

progressives need to open their eyes, their ideas about employment, the economy, and how to help people simply don't work.  You progressives need to abandon you lock step support for these things before it is too late.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

fixing the economy addresses both. But, don't expect progressives to recognize that the problem is government when it comes to the economy.  The general progressive view is anything the government does is good. How else can you explain their blind support of this economy crippling thing we call Obamacare?

progressives need to open their eyes, their ideas about employment, the economy, and how to help people simply don't work.  You progressives need to abandon you lock step support for these things before it is too late.

[/QUOTE]

See, this is where your complete lack of understanding how capitalism and free markets work just comes right out.

Companies always want to "supress" wages. It is a natural and understandable thing. Problems arise when employers have enough political clout to reduce employees to indentured servants OR when employees have so much political clout that they are able to critically reduce the competativeness of companies.

Your lack of understanding anything more than 2nd grade economics means your ideas are juvenile. But worse, your rediculous parrotting of "the liberals this" and "the liberals that" is a reflection of scapegoating as a philosophy. More than sad. It is sick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See, this is where your complete lack of understanding how capitalism and free markets work just comes right out.

Companies always want to "supress" wages. It is a natural and understandable thing. Problems arise when employers have enough political clout to reduce employees to indentured servants OR when employees have so much political clout that they are able to critically reduce the competativeness of companies.

Your lack of understanding anything more than 2nd grade economics means your ideas are juvenile. But worse, your rediculous parrotting of "the liberals this" and "the liberals that" is a reflection of scapegoating as a philosophy. More than sad. It is sick.

[/QUOTE]

Really..just excellent points. Usually when it's the economy as a whole everyone is sharing the burden. In this case, big corporations are not sharing the burden. Record profits and all time low wages? That's not the blame of the economy..or ACA etc..that's the blame of corporations who set the wages. What part of record profits does skeeter not comprehend.?

What should also be noted here is that this error or record profits is also accompanied by an era where unions are at their weakest. Now..before some of you have a fit..I don't necessarily agree with a lot of pro-union agendas..but they serve a purpose in society. When unions have stronger political political clout than corporations, all workers benefit..not just those who belong to unions. It's no coincidence that we see all these factors at play here.

I think as we go further..the devastating ramifications of the Supreme Court decision to consider corporations the same as people..essentially affirming that money equals speech...are going to become clearer and clearer and perhaps will end up being the biggest threat to our democracy..let alone our economy.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wall St punishes companies that don't suppress wages.  It's a sign of poor management.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ah, the socialist in you is trying to be superior, how cute.

sorry, it is you who fails when it comes to understanding economics.  Companies "suppress " wages? Get real. What socialist professor poured that dribble into your brain? Companies will pay what the job is worth period.

your dependency on the union/socialist view of wages clouds you thinking. I encourage you to actually read up on some economics.  A good place to start might be here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8Z__o52sk

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really..just excellent points. Usually when it's the economy as a whole everyone is sharing the burden. In this case, big corporations are not sharing the burden. Record profits and all time low wages? That's not the blame of the economy..or ACA etc..that's the blame of corporations who set the wages. What part of record profits does skeeter not comprehend.?

What should also be noted here is that this error or record profits is also accompanied by an era where unions are at their weakest. Now..before some of you have a fit..I don't necessarily agree with a lot of pro-union agendas..but they serve a purpose in society. When unions have stronger political political clout than corporations, all workers benefit..not just those who belong to unions. It's no coincidence that we see all these factors at play here.

I think as we go further..the devastating ramifications of the Supreme Court decision to consider corporations the same as people..essentially affirming that money equals speech...are going to become clearer and clearer and perhaps will end up being the biggest threat to our democracy..let alone our economy.

[/QUOTE]

Really...completely wrong, economically.

what you are expressions is a political viewpoint, disguised as economics.  It is legitimate to have this pro-union viewpoint, but it is illegitimate to claim it is the natural economic behavior of the market.  Economically, union support for various wages, executed through the political realm, I.e. Nothing economic about it, eliminates competition, politically, artificial constraint on the market.

To show how it is not an issue of economics, but politics: by your view point, a company would reject my offer to work at, say, ten dollars an hour, because I earn them, say fifteen dollars an hour.  Similarly, a company would reject my offer to work on their legal staff for, say, 200 dollars an hour, even if I earn them 500 an hour in economic value, right?

how silly is what you are supposing.

why would a company reject such offers?

because I am willing to create fifteen dollars of value, and only charge the company nine dollars.  It is a more economically efficient transaction, no suppression going on.

but, suppose you wanted to use the economy to raise wages.  How would one do it?  Create a scarcity of labor.  a strong economy creates a scarcity of labor.  Look at what is happening in North Dakota for example.  Do you think flipping burgers really pays 15 dollars an hour because of labor laws, or a scarcity of labor?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wall St punishes companies that don't suppress wages.  It's a sign of poor management.  

[/QUOTE]

Care to back that up?

Sections
Shortcuts