The Company Store

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

The Company Store

In the early 1900s, just about every coal mining town had a food and supply store that was owned by the coal mining company.  Workers would collect their paycheck and proptly give it back to the mining company at the company store.  Folk songs were written about 'owing your soul to the company store'

Fast forward 100 years to Walmart and their Everyday Low Wages.  Reports have come out that as many as 80% of their hourly employees qualify for food stamps, and the company encourages and trains their employees to apply, as do many others.  Gotta socialize those costs!

Well, as it turns out, Walmart has good reason to encourage food stamps because nearly 1 in 5 food stamp dollars is spent at Walmart.  18% of the $80 billion in food stamp dollars spent last year ended up in a Walmart cash register, with their own employees leading the charge.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/walmart-food-stamps_n_4181862.html

Quite a racket. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: The Company Store

We get it....you hate WalMart...we get it...

Is it really a surprise to you that people with food stamps would shop at WalMart? People who don't have food stamps shop at WalMart for the cheaper prices...so why wouldn't people on food stamps also shop there???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

You get that if the easy government aid did not exist Walmart might have to compete for human resources and pay a higher wage to attract and keep valuable people?

Here we have a perfect example of how a government program distorts the marketplace, thanks for providing it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Is it really a surprise to you that people with food stamps would shop at WalMart? People who don't have food stamps shop at WalMart for the cheaper prices...so why wouldn't people on food stamps also shop there???

I do hate Walmart, as should everyone with a conscience.

Just about everyday we get a new thread here about how our 'Food Stamp President' is breaking all of the welfare records in a conspiracy to bribe voters.  The truth is we have record food stamps because companies like Walmart are exploiting us to pad their bottom line.  They are not alone, but they are the biggest, and their business model is spreading.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:

Just about everyday we get a new thread here about how our 'Food Stamp President' is breaking all of the welfare records in a conspiracy to bribe voters.  The truth is we have record food stamps because companies like Walmart are exploiting us to pad their bottom line.  They are not alone, but they are the biggest, and their business model is spreading.

Right...it's all WalMart's fault that there are 46 million people on food stamps....sigh

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Wow, you are really reaching to protect Obama, I just think you are jealous that the US govt isn't smart enough to run things as well as Wal-mart.

Why don't you chase down all the bad prctices by Dupont, GE, Apple, Nike, and the scores of Defense Contractors that make Wal-mart look like a penny-candy store.

I know three or four people like you in my circle of aquaintences, you make enough money to boycott Wal-mart, and you walk around all high and mighty like you're better than everyone else because you don't believe in the "business model".

Try struggling to feed your kids, or make your mortgage payment month-to-month on a tight budget. 

You'll be shopping Wal-mart in no time, either that or you'll end up like a friend of mine.  He made the drastic escape to Vermont, sold his house, went off-grid with a cabin and solar panels, and now he eats dirt-sandwiches and fishes for trout in a stream.  claims he's never been happier.

Do us all a favor, go join him......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to doozy-day's comment:

Wow, you are really reaching to protect Obama, I just think you are jealous that the US govt isn't smart enough to run things as well as Wal-mart.

Why don't you chase down all the bad prctices by Dupont, GE, Apple, Nike, and the scores of Defense Contractors that make Wal-mart look like a penny-candy store.

I know three or four people like you in my circle of aquaintences, you make enough money to boycott Wal-mart, and you walk around all high and mighty like you're better than everyone else because you don't believe in the "business model".

Try struggling to feed your kids, or make your mortgage payment month-to-month on a tight budget. 

You'll be shopping Wal-mart in no time, either that or you'll end up like a friend of mine.  He made the drastic escape to Vermont, sold his house, went off-grid with a cabin and solar panels, and now he eats dirt-sandwiches and fishes for trout in a stream.  claims he's never been happier.

Oh but see....the reason those people struggle to feed their kids or make their mortgage payment is that WalMart doesn't pay them enough. It's the fault of big bad WalMart that people chose to only equip themselves with enough skills to man a cash register. WalMart should pay these people $30/hr to put money into a cash drawer don't ya know...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Why doesn't the government just pay everyone 1,000,000 dollars a year so everyone would be rich and all of our problems will go away?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Oh but see....the reason those people struggle to feed their kids or make their mortgage payment is that WalMart doesn't pay them enough. It's the fault of big bad WalMart that people chose to only equip themselves with enough skills to man a cash register. WalMart should pay these people $30/hr to put money into a cash drawer don't ya know...

Well, some of us shop at Wal-mart, and don't work there, we just struggle because we are on a tight budget.

Quite frankly, if I didn't shop at Wal-mart, I'd be further in the hole.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Why doesn't the government just pay everyone 1,000,000 dollars a year so everyone would be rich and all of our problems will go away?

Actually, if the Government got rid of the millions of useless liberal bureaucrats, social workers and regulators, the money saved would allow for a very generous cash subsidy to the poor. Maybe not a million a year, but perhaps 30-40 thousand. Which goes a long way at Walmart.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Stand on your feet for 8 hours dealing with the public.  You might realize its tougher than you think, and certainly tougher than spending half the day as a hall monitor on a message board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Stand on your feet for 8 hours dealing with the public.  You might realize its tougher than you think, and certainly tougher than spending half the day as a hall monitor on a message board.

Oh yeah it's tough...having the cash register tell you the exact change to give the customer. Putting the bills in the correct slots...how do they do it? It's amazing...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Well, some of us shop at Wal-mart, and don't work there, we just struggle because we are on a tight budget.

Quite frankly, if I didn't shop at Wal-mart, I'd be further in the hole.

Of course. Why wouldn't you shop there if it save you money? Makes sense to me. My wife and I aren't rich but we also aren't hurting for money but we still shop there for certain items like cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Actually, if the Government got rid of the millions of useless liberal bureaucrats, social workers and regulators, the money saved would allow for a very generous cash subsidy to the poor. Maybe not a million a year, but perhaps 30-40 thousand. Which goes a long way at Walmart.

Hey hey! These people are absolutely necessary, I mean, OMG, who else is going to maintain the water fountains at the WW2 memorial?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Or put up barriers to make absolutely sure that a visitor is not disappointed by a non-operational water fountain?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

You're just not thinking this through man!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

Oh, so Wal Mart is now the problem for food stamps. I love it! Is this president and his foolish followers accountable for anything? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Amazing that people don't get the connection between stagnant wages, low pay, and the toll those take on the public coffers.  When a company trains its employees to utlize public benefits not only is it acknowledging that its wages are low, but they are effectively forcing the government to subsidize their compensation packages for millions of workers.  You want to see the welfare rolls reduced then part of that solution is demanding a living wage.  Hell, Costco pays its workers well, provides benefits, and enjoys double digit revenue growth.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Amazing that people don't get the connection between stagnant wages, low pay, and the toll those take on the public coffers.  When a company trains its employees to utlize public benefits not only is it acknowledging that its wages are low, but they are effectively forcing the government to subsidize their compensation packages for millions of workers.  You want to see the welfare rolls reduced then part of that solution is demanding a living wage.  Hell, Costco pays its workers well, provides benefits, and enjoys double digit revenue growth.  

Then the employees of WalMart should demand a living wage shouldn't they? Or go work for Costco.

WalMart pays low because they can get away with it because the employees allow them to get away with it. If workers accept low pay then they have themselves to blame. Also, if you're so outraged at the low wages then maybe you should write your congressman about raising minimum wage....or start a grassroots campaign for higher wages.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I always though competition was a good thing for all concerned

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Then the employees of WalMart should demand a living wage shouldn't they? Or go work for Costco.

WalMart pays low because they can get away with it because the employees allow them to get away with it. If workers accept low pay then they have themselves to blame. Also, if you're so outraged at the low wages then maybe you should write your congressman about raising minimum wage....or start a grassroots campaign for higher wages.

The workers are doing just that, but amazingly they are countered by some people who think they simply perform jobs that trained monkeys could do!  They say things like "Oh yeah it's tough...having the cash register tell you the exact change to give the customer. Putting the bills in the correct slots...how do they do it? It's amazing." as justification for what ...artificially limiting hours to avoid having to provide benefits for workers, insanely low wages?  

If a person makes minimum wage and that is their primary means of income then they will qualify for Food Stamps, medical benefits, housing assistance, etc...all the types of programs conservatives HATE, but will defend in this instance because they'd rather companies pay people poorly and still shut the door in their faces when they show up looking for a government assistance, for some reason.  The GOP should be out on front on this issue, not towing the line the Chamber of Commerce gives them.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

The workers are doing just that, but amazingly they are countered by some people who think they simply perform jobs that trained monkeys could do!  They say things like "Oh yeah it's tough...having the cash register tell you the exact change to give the customer. Putting the bills in the correct slots...how do they do it? It's amazing." as justification for what ...artificially limiting hours to avoid having to provide benefits for workers, insanely low wages?  

If a person makes minimum wage and that is their primary means of income then they will qualify for Food Stamps, medical benefits, housing assistance, etc...all the types of programs conservatives HATE, but will defend in this instance because they'd rather companies pay people poorly and still shut the door in their faces when they show up looking for a government assistance, for some reason.  The GOP should be out on front on this issue, not towing the line the Chamber of Commerce gives them.  

Ah...I see....so what I posted on BDC is preventing them from getting more money...gotcha...sigh

Again...have you pressured your congressman/senator to raise minimum wage? Have you campaigned to get WalMart workers higher wages?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Right.  

So, you hate a big monolithic comany that pretty much controls the lower end retail space, and delivers a product at a reasonable price to a willing market, and delivers on its core goal of offering a good value, without using tax dollars.

Yet you love a big, monolithic health care system that controls what type of health care you receive, to a forced market, yet is expensive, consumes huge amounts of taxpayer dollars, and doesn't deliver on it's core goal of efficiency.

What am I missing about your progressive lunacy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to pymus1's comment:

Oh, so Wal Mart is now the problem for food stamps. I love it! Is this president and his foolish followers accountable for anything? 

Obama was unaware that anyone was actually using food stamps.

Sections
Shortcuts