2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: The failed war on weed

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-war-on-weed-still-expensive-racist-and-failed

I think republicans would lighten up if they started to light up!

Isn't smoking dope to get stupid and being a liberal redundant effort?

Skeeter..you do know a lot of people use it for medicinal purposes...to help with pain. Probably you should thank God you don't live with pain everyday and stop judging people.

Besides..I am sure doing drugs is not something that is limited to liberals.

Not judging anyone, at least no more than I get judged, miss "intellectual honesty".

No, I don't know anyone who is using dope for "medical purposes".  That's a bunch of hoohey.  Any decent doctor can prescribe pain killers.  The "medical use" is a fig leaf for legalization.

skeeter:

I am truly glad you do not have to live with any of the conditions medical mar. can greatly alleviate the symptoms.

But if you remember, Gregin's sister fought a losing battle with cancer. Gregin went out and obtained her mar. to help her feel more comfortable. And it worked...apparently better than the meds that were available to her.

My husband is fighting cancer as I type this. There are meds to help him with the effects of the high dose radiation treatments he is undergoing but we are considering obtaining mar. for his symptoms.

Pink's father fought a 2 year battle with cancer which he lost. It is one of the worst things in the world to see someone you love very much suffer so much from both this awful disease as well as the treatments. Most of us would do anything in our power to help them. This truly does help so many people.

As for it making people "stupid"...alcohol makes people stupid but it does not help people in this situation. Not to mention look how well prohibition of alcohol worked out.

Andiejen...nice to see you back on BDC. Sorry again to hear about your husband. It's not easy dealing with cancer and a loved one's illness. You've certainly had your share over the past year. I'll keep your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

The flaw in skeeter's opinion is the fact that many prescription narcotics are not only more dangerous and toxic than marijuana but also just as illegal without a prescription. Skeeter forgets that in the medicinal marijuana movement a prescription is still required.  I know someone who uses marijuana occasionally for migraine relief. Works like a charm for her..better than prescription medications which often come with many unpleasant side effects.

BTW...I don't believe in putting people in jail for drug possession or drug use. Distribution is different..but not for possession. The only thing putting someone who is not dangerous to society in jail accomplishes is making them a better criminal. Perhaps if we stopped jailing non violent offenders we wouldn't be known as Prison Nation. Treatment is really the way to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

I have Auther writus (ha ha) and I would use it if I could get it.

..and what if you had athritis in 90 percent of the joints in your body. What if you woke up some days and your pain was so bad that you could barely get out of bed? Would you still consider medical marijuana a joke under those circumstances?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Regarding the assertion that marijuana makes you "stupid," there's been some research recently that points to the opposite conclusion:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8155-marijuana-might-cause-new-cell-growth-in-the-brain.html

A synthetic chemical similar to the active ingredient in marijuana makes new cells grow in rat brains. What is more, in rats this cell growth appears to be linked with reducing anxiety and depression. The results suggest that marijuana, or its derivatives, could actually be good for the brain.

In mammals, new nerve cells are constantly being produced in a part of the brain called the hippocampus, which is associated with learning, memory, anxiety and depression. Other recreational drugs, such as alcohol, nicotine and cocaine, have been shown to suppress this new growth. Xia Zhang of the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada, and colleagues decided to see what effects a synthetic cannabinoid called HU210 had on rats' brains.

They found that giving rats high doses of HU210 twice a day for 10 days increased the rate of nerve cell formation, or neurogenesis, in the hippocampus by about 40%.

The caviat here is that this might work for adults. My understanding is that growing teen-age brains suffer damage from exposure to marijuana so, keep it away from the kiddies!

-

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xscuS9H8U

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

You got to admit, hippies do smell bad.

-

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

And alcoholics smell so much better. :)

That, my dear, is what vodka is for.

-

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Isn't smoking dope to get stupid and being a liberal redundant effort?

Skeeter..you do know a lot of people use it for medicinal purposes...to help with pain. Probably you should thank God you don't live with pain everyday and stop judging people.

Besides..I am sure doing drugs is not something that is limited to liberals.

Not judging anyone, at least no more than I get judged, miss "intellectual honesty".

No, I don't know anyone who is using dope for "medical purposes".  That's a bunch of hoohey.  Any decent doctor can prescribe pain killers.  The "medical use" is a fig leaf for legalization.

skeeter:

I am truly glad you do not have to live with any of the conditions medical mar. can greatly alleviate the symptoms.

But if you remember, Gregin's sister fought a losing battle with cancer. Gregin went out and obtained her mar. to help her feel more comfortable. And it worked...apparently better than the meds that were available to her.

My husband is fighting cancer as I type this. There are meds to help him with the effects of the high dose radiation treatments he is undergoing but we are considering obtaining mar. for his symptoms.

Pink's father fought a 2 year battle with cancer which he lost. It is one of the worst things in the world to see someone you love very much suffer so much from both this awful disease as well as the treatments. Most of us would do anything in our power to help them. This truly does help so many people.

As for it making people "stupid"...alcohol makes people stupid but it does not help people in this situation. Not to mention look how well prohibition of alcohol worked out.

Andiejen...nice to see you back on BDC. Sorry again to hear about your husband. It's not easy dealing with cancer and a loved one's illness. You've certainly had your share over the past year. I'll keep your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

The flaw in skeeter's opinion is the fact that many prescription narcotics are not only more dangerous and toxic than marijuana but also just as illegal without a prescription. Skeeter forgets that in the medicinal marijuana movement a prescription is still required.  I know someone who uses marijuana occasionally for migraine relief. Works like a charm for her..better than prescription medications which often come with many unpleasant side effects.

BTW...I don't believe in putting people in jail for drug possession or drug use. Distribution is different..but not for possession. The only thing putting someone who is not dangerous to society in jail accomplishes is making them a better criminal. Perhaps if we stopped jailing non violent offenders we wouldn't be known as Prison Nation. Treatment is really the way to go.

The prescription for dope methodology is working out so well in California and Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21221031/colorados-medical-pot-industry-fuels-illegal-trade-review

And, if for no other reason, do it "for the children".

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2013/05/study_claims_colorado_kids_increasingly_getting_sick_from_medical_marijuana_edibles.php

Active ingredients found in dope are also found in pill form, and it tends to work better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/medical-marijuana-effective-pill-form-smoking-study-article-1.1325004

Face it, people just want dope legalized for recreational use.  I say go for it, but stop it with this stupid nonsense about medical dope.  It simply is not the best path, it is medically not supportable, pill form is better and available, and the dopers play on the emotions of the ill in order to get their weed legalized.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Could you point me to the pot legalization proposals at federal level put forth by the Dems? And does Obama support widespread legalization of pot?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The loudest voices against pot legalization (and pro-WoD generally):

1) Big Pharma (because of money they think they'll lose)

2) Evangelizers (because of "morality" they think is at stake)

3) Private Prison Companies (because of the number of inmates they profit from will be reduced)

All of whose arguments are highly flawed from the get-go.

Can any conservatives here cop to indulging in the sweet leaf from time-to-time...?  Or is that just something that 'libruls' do...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

3) Private Prison Companies (because of the number of inmates they profit from will be reduced)

Can any conservatives here cop to indulging in the sweet leaf from time-to-time...?  Or is that just something that 'libruls' do...?

I know plenty of conservatives who have/still do indulge. So no...it's not something just 'libruls' do

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

I know plenty of conservatives who have/still do indulge. So no...it's not something just 'libruls' do

[/QUOTE]

I know a few as well (and others who wish they could but for workplace testing).

Just trying to dispel a few notions on behalf of certain posters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know a few as well (and others who wish they could but for workplace testing).

Just trying to dispel a few notions on behalf of certain posters.

[/QUOTE]

I hear you. I too am trying to dispel a certain notion set forth by the OP

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

No, I don't know anyone who is using dope for "medical purposes".  That's a bunch of hoohey.

-----------------------------

I did.  My sister, and I got it for her.  She died.  Hooey this.

That's very unfortunate.

Just curious though...did it help her at all, in your view...?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I guess you are blind to the problems legalization, as it has been enacted, for "medical" reasons, is completely abused in California and Colorado.

Need a better plan or approach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

http://marijuana-as-medicine.org/Overview%20-%20Part%20IV.htm

Marinol, or the "pot pill" is actually far less effective in helping cancer patients. The above article gives a great overview of this pill, including its origins that everyone interested in this issue I strongly urge to read.

Indeed. The "study" he cited involved people putting their hands in cold water for 2 minutes and reporting about how much pain they felt.

Actual terminal patients far prefer to smoke or vaporize the marijuana. THC is only one of many active ingredients in marijuana.

Additionally, ingesting it by smoking or vaporizing it can produce more of a high - and surprise surprise, like opiates that high is a necessary part of the painkilling aspect. It distracts the patient.

Fortunately government propoganda dupes like skeeter are in a shrinking minority on the issue, as more evidence comes in.

[/QUOTE]

Heroin is a great pain killer.  Should we legalize that?

25. This post has been removed.