2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: The failed war on weed

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-war-on-weed-still-expensive-racist-and-failed

I think republicans would lighten up if they started to light up!

Isn't smoking dope to get stupid and being a liberal redundant effort?

Skeeter..you do know a lot of people use it for medicinal purposes...to help with pain. Probably you should thank God you don't live with pain everyday and stop judging people.

Besides..I am sure doing drugs is not something that is limited to liberals.

Not judging anyone, at least no more than I get judged, miss "intellectual honesty".

No, I don't know anyone who is using dope for "medical purposes".  That's a bunch of hoohey.  Any decent doctor can prescribe pain killers.  The "medical use" is a fig leaf for legalization.

skeeter:

I am truly glad you do not have to live with any of the conditions medical mar. can greatly alleviate the symptoms.

But if you remember, Gregin's sister fought a losing battle with cancer. Gregin went out and obtained her mar. to help her feel more comfortable. And it worked...apparently better than the meds that were available to her.

My husband is fighting cancer as I type this. There are meds to help him with the effects of the high dose radiation treatments he is undergoing but we are considering obtaining mar. for his symptoms.

Pink's father fought a 2 year battle with cancer which he lost. It is one of the worst things in the world to see someone you love very much suffer so much from both this awful disease as well as the treatments. Most of us would do anything in our power to help them. This truly does help so many people.

As for it making people "stupid"...alcohol makes people stupid but it does not help people in this situation. Not to mention look how well prohibition of alcohol worked out.

Andiejen...nice to see you back on BDC. Sorry again to hear about your husband. It's not easy dealing with cancer and a loved one's illness. You've certainly had your share over the past year. I'll keep your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

The flaw in skeeter's opinion is the fact that many prescription narcotics are not only more dangerous and toxic than marijuana but also just as illegal without a prescription. Skeeter forgets that in the medicinal marijuana movement a prescription is still required.  I know someone who uses marijuana occasionally for migraine relief. Works like a charm for her..better than prescription medications which often come with many unpleasant side effects.

BTW...I don't believe in putting people in jail for drug possession or drug use. Distribution is different..but not for possession. The only thing putting someone who is not dangerous to society in jail accomplishes is making them a better criminal. Perhaps if we stopped jailing non violent offenders we wouldn't be known as Prison Nation. Treatment is really the way to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

I have Auther writus (ha ha) and I would use it if I could get it.

..and what if you had athritis in 90 percent of the joints in your body. What if you woke up some days and your pain was so bad that you could barely get out of bed? Would you still consider medical marijuana a joke under those circumstances?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Regarding the assertion that marijuana makes you "stupid," there's been some research recently that points to the opposite conclusion:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8155-marijuana-might-cause-new-cell-growth-in-the-brain.html

A synthetic chemical similar to the active ingredient in marijuana makes new cells grow in rat brains. What is more, in rats this cell growth appears to be linked with reducing anxiety and depression. The results suggest that marijuana, or its derivatives, could actually be good for the brain.

In mammals, new nerve cells are constantly being produced in a part of the brain called the hippocampus, which is associated with learning, memory, anxiety and depression. Other recreational drugs, such as alcohol, nicotine and cocaine, have been shown to suppress this new growth. Xia Zhang of the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada, and colleagues decided to see what effects a synthetic cannabinoid called HU210 had on rats' brains.

They found that giving rats high doses of HU210 twice a day for 10 days increased the rate of nerve cell formation, or neurogenesis, in the hippocampus by about 40%.

The caviat here is that this might work for adults. My understanding is that growing teen-age brains suffer damage from exposure to marijuana so, keep it away from the kiddies!

-

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xscuS9H8U

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

I want to thank the posters who gave my husband and me such kind wishes.

I wrote my post not for that, though I greatly appreate it, but because I could not let this thread go as it was with its dismissive posts as well as jokes about the use of mar. to help reduce the suffering of people in great discomfort.

I know it often has to happen to you or a loved one for someone to consider a different viewpoint. I can only hope that those who are so against the usage of mar. just might think about not being so judgmental.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

You got to admit, hippies do smell bad.

-

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

You got to admit, hippies do smell bad.

-

And alcoholics smell so much better. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

And alcoholics smell so much better. :)

That, my dear, is what vodka is for.

-

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Skeeter..you do know a lot of people use it for medicinal purposes...to help with pain. Probably you should thank God you don't live with pain everyday and stop judging people.

Not judging anyone, at least no more than I get judged, miss "intellectual honesty".

No, I don't know anyone who is using dope for "medical purposes".  That's a bunch of hoohey.  Any decent doctor can prescribe pain killers.  The "medical use" is a fig leaf for legalization.

skeeter:

I am truly glad you do not have to live with any of the conditions medical mar. can greatly alleviate the symptoms.

But if you remember, Gregin's sister fought a losing battle with cancer. Gregin went out and obtained her mar. to help her feel more comfortable. And it worked...apparently better than the meds that were available to her.

My husband is fighting cancer as I type this. There are meds to help him with the effects of the high dose radiation treatments he is undergoing but we are considering obtaining mar. for his symptoms.

Pink's father fought a 2 year battle with cancer which he lost. It is one of the worst things in the world to see someone you love very much suffer so much from both this awful disease as well as the treatments. Most of us would do anything in our power to help them. This truly does help so many people.

As for it making people "stupid"...alcohol makes people stupid but it does not help people in this situation. Not to mention look how well prohibition of alcohol worked out.

Andiejen...nice to see you back on BDC. Sorry again to hear about your husband. It's not easy dealing with cancer and a loved one's illness. You've certainly had your share over the past year. I'll keep your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

The flaw in skeeter's opinion is the fact that many prescription narcotics are not only more dangerous and toxic than marijuana but also just as illegal without a prescription. Skeeter forgets that in the medicinal marijuana movement a prescription is still required.  I know someone who uses marijuana occasionally for migraine relief. Works like a charm for her..better than prescription medications which often come with many unpleasant side effects.

BTW...I don't believe in putting people in jail for drug possession or drug use. Distribution is different..but not for possession. The only thing putting someone who is not dangerous to society in jail accomplishes is making them a better criminal. Perhaps if we stopped jailing non violent offenders we wouldn't be known as Prison Nation. Treatment is really the way to go.

The prescription for dope methodology is working out so well in California and Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21221031/colorados-medical-pot-industry-fuels-illegal-trade-review

And, if for no other reason, do it "for the children".

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2013/05/study_claims_colorado_kids_increasingly_getting_sick_from_medical_marijuana_edibles.php

Active ingredients found in dope are also found in pill form, and it tends to work better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/medical-marijuana-effective-pill-form-smoking-study-article-1.1325004

Face it, people just want dope legalized for recreational use.  I say go for it, but stop it with this stupid nonsense about medical dope.  It simply is not the best path, it is medically not supportable, pill form is better and available, and the dopers play on the emotions of the ill in order to get their weed legalized.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Could you point me to the pot legalization proposals at federal level put forth by the Dems? And does Obama support widespread legalization of pot?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

skeeter:

The prescription for dope methodology is working out so well in California and Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21221031/colorados-medical-pot-industry-fuels-illegal-trade-review

And, if for no other reason, do it "for the children".

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2013/05/study_claims_colorado_kids_increasingly_getting_sick_from_medical_marijuana_edibles.php

Active ingredients found in dope are also found in pill form, and it tends to work better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/medical-marijuana-effective-pill-form-smoking-study-article-1.1325004

Face it, people just want dope legalized for recreational use.  I say go for it, but stop it with this stupid nonsense about medical dope.  It simply is not the best path, it is medically not supportable, pill form is better and available, and the dopers play on the emotions of the ill in order to get their weed legalized.

skeeter,

http://marijuana-as-medicine.org/Overview%20-%20Part%20IV.htm

Marinol, or the "pot pill" is actually far less effective in helping cancer patients. The above article gives a great overview of this pill, including its origins that everyone interested in this issue I strongly urge to read.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

skeeter,

Noticed my URL for whatever reason will not connect you to the article so I copied it to make it easier for anyone to read.

Marijuana as Medicine:
    A Recent History

IV. Synthetic Solutions

Rather than respond to public and political demands for marijuana's medical availability, federal drug agencies are instead promoting bureaucratically sanctioned alternatives which are synthetic, expensive and often ineffective. It is ironic that after decades of pretending marijuana is medically useless, federal drug agencies are now aggressively pushing synthetic Marinol, the so-called "pot pill," by arguing it is as safe and effective as marijuana.(43) 

Patients familiar with the synthetic "pot pill" have strongly condemned the bureaucrats for "pushing" an inferior substitute. One AIDS patient recently told a reporter, 

"I tried [Marinol]. I went through five pills before I was able to keep one down....When I did manage to keep one down it took a long while to take effect, and only worked about half a day. Two or three tokes on a joint helps me immediately."(44) 

Let'em Eat THC 

Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the most powerful psycho-active chemical in marijuana. Synthetic THC was developed for drug abuse research on rats and other animal subjects. The synthetic "pot pill" was never intended for human use in a routine of medical care. In the early 1980s, however, federal agencies were overwhelmed by demands for legal access to government supplies of marijuana cigarettes for use in legislatively authorized, state programs of patient care. FDA and DEA, unable to meet these state requests for natural marijuana, began promoting synthetic THC pills as a therapeutic substitute for marijuana. 

In September 1980, federal agencies released THC through the National Cancer Institute's Group C Treatment Program. Then federal agencies frantically searched for a private-sector pharmaceutical company to sponsor a New Drug Application (NDA) for the federally-developed THC pill. In exchange, federal agencies promised the company exclusive control over the medical market for synthetic THC. 

This promotion of synthetic THC was not designed to meet legitimate human needs. It had only one objective: to maintain the medical prohibition against marijuana. 

The public was told "Pot Pill Approved." Federal drug agencies assisted in a misinformation campaign by saying marijuana was no longer medically needed because the modern, synthetic "pot pill" had arrived. Federal agencies knew this was a lie. 

Marinol Isn't Marijuana 

The problem with this synthetic strategy was most quickly evident to patients. Marinol isn't marijuana. The synthetic solution failed because Marinol is only marginally effective. 

The difference between marijuana and THC was apparent from the outset. Cancer patients quickly discovered smoking marijuana is far more effective than swallowing oral THC pills.(45) During the DEA hearings before Judge Young, one researcher, Norman Zinberg, M.D., testified that during his 1974 research nearly half the patients quit his legal, THC-based study in order to obtain illegal, but more effective, marijuana.(46) 

Zinberg's observations were amplified in an internal National Cancer Institute (NCI) memo from mid-1978. Synthetic THC is described as "erratic," "unpredictable," and finally dismissed as "unfit" for human use. Marijuana cigarettes, by contrast, are described as "reliable" and "highly predictable." After reviewing the available evidence the cancer specialists at NCI concluded, "All in all the [marijuana] cigarette may be the best means of delivering the drug."(47) 

After reviewing the available evidence DEA Judge Francis L. Young concluded Marinol is not an adequate substitute for marijuana.(48) 

Some will argue these are "old" conclusions. Yet as recently as 1992 , Dr. Robert Gorter, a primary researcher of synthetic Marinol's use in AIDS therapy, echoed Zinberg's testimony: 

"Again and again patients have testified that they preferred marijuana above dronabinol [Marinol] for its appetite stimulating effect. Therefore, it is hoped that marijuana will stay an option for the medical treatment of [wasting syndrome] in AIDS patients."(49) 

Why is inhaled marijuana superior to synthetic THC? 

Speed of delivery: When inhaled, marijuana reduces nausea and vomiting in five to ten minutes.(50) Marinol, when ingested, takes 1 to 4 hours to start working. This gives patients plenty of time to throw-up the pill. 

Control of Dose: Marijuana, when inhaled, works so quickly patients can exercise very fine control over their dose. Once relief is achieved they simply stop smoking. Inversely, a patient exercises NO control over an oral dose; once the pill is swallowed all further control is lost. Moreover, because oral THC takes so long to work, and works so erratically and unpredictably, patients may take a second oral dose. Little wonder adverse psychological effects are far more common among people employing oral Marinol than among those smoking marijuana. 

Chemical Composition: Marijuana, like all naturally occurring substances, is chemically complex. Marijuana has more than 400 chemical ingredients. Little is known about which chemical ingredients -- or what combinations of ingredients -- are responsible for the plant's multiple therapeutic actions. 

Federal agencies did not approve Marinol because of evidence indicating delta-9 THC is marijuana's most therapeutically-active ingredient. Delta-9 THC was synthesized to facilitate drug abuse research on marijuana's psychoactive effects. Trapped by their legal fixation on psychoactive effects, federal agencies simply assumed, despite ample evidence to the contrary, that what gets you "high" makes you well. 

The irony, of course, is that to avoid making marijuana medically available, federal agencies are now aggressively promoting a synthetic alternative which contains pure THC which is profoundly more psycho-active than marijuana in its natural form.(51) 

Pills are medically familiar. Smoking is not. Opponents of marijuana's medical use often argue inhalation is not compatible with modern medical practice. In the name of science such opponents would deprive those who are now ill of care while researchers endeavor to create a perfect "marijuana-like pill." 

Advocates of marijuana's medical availability do not contend marijuana is "perfect" or object to research into synthetic alternatives. Such research must continue and, in some cases, begin.(52)But it is medically unethical to use an elusive search for pharmaceutical perfection as an excuse to deprive millions of currently ill Americans of therapeutic access to an effective, albeit imperfect, treatment. This is particularly true when one considers the long and distinguished history of marijuana's medical use. 

To put it simply; how can the government criminalize seriously ill citizens who choose to medically use a God-given plant? 

The Great White Drug 

When bureaucratic attempts to push synthetic Marinol as a substitute for marijuana fail, federal drug agencies fall back on another old standard: there are "new" drugs which make marijuana medically unnecessary. 

In the early 1980s, for example, federal agencies promoted Torecan (Reglan) as an antiemetic substitute for marijuana. Health care workers like Torecan because patients are well-controlled. Indeed, Torecan renders patients nearly comatose. Many still vomit, but they are not conscious enough to care. 

Michigan tested the Torecan alternative in their state authorized marijuana program. Researchers allowed patients to begin on Torecan or marijuana. Patients could, at any time, elect to switch to the alternative drug. Significantly, 90% of the patients who started on marijuana stayed on marijuana. Even more significantly, 90% of the patients who received Torecan elected to switch to marijuana. (53) 

The most recent "new" drug receiving bureaucratic praise as a marijuana alternative is Zofran which costs $600 per dose and requires hospitalization at a cost of $500 - 1,500 per day. Zofran is said to be effective 75% of the time in helping patients vomit six times or less per chemotherapy treatment. 

By contrast, marijuana costs a penny per dose, patients can safely use it at home, and marijuana helps 90% of cancer patients unable to obtain relief using prescriptive antiemetic agents.(54) 

There is a final important difference. Zofran is not an appetite stimulant. Marijuana is. A patient employing marijuana at home can sit down to eat dinner with the family. This is not a matter of insignificant benefit.(55) 

As Kenny Jenks, Chairman of the Marijuana/AIDS Research Service (MARS) has noted, "To the unintentionally anorexic the munchies can be a life-saver."(56) 

Let The Market Decide 

No one is advocating that all patients with marijuana-responsive disorders be forced to use marijuana. Ultimately the decision to employ any medication is a profoundly personal decision which is best left to the patient and physician. In a more rationale world natural marijuana and synthetic Marinol would both be medically available and patients and physicians would determine which drug was most appropriate for a particular treatment need. The market would decide. 

For nearly two decades, federal agencies have used the medical prohibition to prevent such a market-based determination. They have compounded this error by granting an exclusive monopoly to the manufacturer of Marinol. In doing so FDA has ensured that the American people will be forced to pay exorbitant prices to obtain a demonstrably inferior synthetic substitute developed and researched almost exclusively at tax-payers' expense. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The loudest voices against pot legalization (and pro-WoD generally):

1) Big Pharma (because of money they think they'll lose)

2) Evangelizers (because of "morality" they think is at stake)

3) Private Prison Companies (because of the number of inmates they profit from will be reduced)

All of whose arguments are highly flawed from the get-go.

Can any conservatives here cop to indulging in the sweet leaf from time-to-time...?  Or is that just something that 'libruls' do...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

3) Private Prison Companies (because of the number of inmates they profit from will be reduced)

Can any conservatives here cop to indulging in the sweet leaf from time-to-time...?  Or is that just something that 'libruls' do...?

I know plenty of conservatives who have/still do indulge. So no...it's not something just 'libruls' do

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I know plenty of conservatives who have/still do indulge. So no...it's not something just 'libruls' do

I know a few as well (and others who wish they could but for workplace testing).

Just trying to dispel a few notions on behalf of certain posters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I know a few as well (and others who wish they could but for workplace testing).

Just trying to dispel a few notions on behalf of certain posters.

I hear you. I too am trying to dispel a certain notion set forth by the OP

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

No, I don't know anyone who is using dope for "medical purposes".  That's a bunch of hoohey.

-----------------------------

I did.  My sister, and I got it for her.  She died.  Hooey this.

That's very unfortunate.

Just curious though...did it help her at all, in your view...?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I guess you are blind to the problems legalization, as it has been enacted, for "medical" reasons, is completely abused in California and Colorado.

Need a better plan or approach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

skeeter,

http://marijuana-as-medicine.org/Overview%20-%20Part%20IV.htm

Marinol, or the "pot pill" is actually far less effective in helping cancer patients. The above article gives a great overview of this pill, including its origins that everyone interested in this issue I strongly urge to read.

Indeed. The "study" he cited involved people putting their hands in cold water for 2 minutes and reporting about how much pain they felt.

Actual terminal patients far prefer to smoke or vaporize the marijuana. THC is only one of many active ingredients in marijuana.

Additionally, ingesting it by smoking or vaporizing it can produce more of a high - and surprise surprise, like opiates that high is a necessary part of the painkilling aspect. It distracts the patient.

Fortunately government propoganda dupes like skeeter are in a shrinking minority on the issue, as more evidence comes in.

Heroin is a great pain killer.  Should we legalize that?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts