The failed war on weed

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: The failed war on weed

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE] Skeeter..you do know a lot of people use it for medicinal purposes

The people who oppose marijuana for medical purposes - ie, straight up pain relief - are the most deluded of the lot.

Here is what those people are saying (and as you know, I am not really directly adressing you):

"NO! Marijuana is evil! Hippies smoke it, and they smell bad. Shoot that morphine! Slap on that fentanyl patch! I don't care if you vomit up your breakfast every day. I don't care if you're going to die in two years no matter what. Marijuana is immoral. Try heroin."

I mean..you really can't satirize it because it's so profoundly......stupid. Hopelessly and utterly.

[/QUOTE]

Honestly..I don't understand their argument. I can only assume that it is based on ignorance about where our current prescription narcotics come from.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

http://marijuana-as-medicine.org/Overview%20-%20Part%20IV.htm

Marinol, or the "pot pill" is actually far less effective in helping cancer patients. The above article gives a great overview of this pill, including its origins that everyone interested in this issue I strongly urge to read.

Indeed. The "study" he cited involved people putting their hands in cold water for 2 minutes and reporting about how much pain they felt.

Actual terminal patients far prefer to smoke or vaporize the marijuana. THC is only one of many active ingredients in marijuana.

Additionally, ingesting it by smoking or vaporizing it can produce more of a high - and surprise surprise, like opiates that high is a necessary part of the painkilling aspect. It distracts the patient.

Fortunately government propoganda dupes like skeeter are in a shrinking minority on the issue, as more evidence comes in.

[/QUOTE]

Heroin is a great pain killer.  Should we legalize that?

[/QUOTE]

Well Skeeter..funny you should mention it. Heroin is dirived from opium. Know what else is made from opium..? Morphine. Morphine is currently legal with a prescription and my guess is..although I don't know..is that it has far more negative side effects than marijuana.

Plus..you need to consider that different things work for different people. Current narcotic pain relievers might work for some people but not others. Many years ago I was rushed to the hospital with a serious medical emergency..in the worst pain I've ever had in my life. They gave me morphine to deal with the pain until they could get me into the OR...the morphine did not touch my pain..at all...and I am someone for whom a single advil is usually more than enough to get rid of most pain. 

So..if a little marijuana helps someone in constant pain who doesn't respond well to other meds..then I am all for it. Frankly..it is none of our business!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

Marinol, or the "pot pill" is actually far less effective in helping cancer patients. The above article gives a great overview of this pill, including its origins that everyone interested in this issue I strongly urge to read.

Indeed. The "study" he cited involved people putting their hands in cold water for 2 minutes and reporting about how much pain they felt.

Actual terminal patients far prefer to smoke or vaporize the marijuana. THC is only one of many active ingredients in marijuana.

Additionally, ingesting it by smoking or vaporizing it can produce more of a high - and surprise surprise, like opiates that high is a necessary part of the painkilling aspect. It distracts the patient.

Fortunately government propoganda dupes like skeeter are in a shrinking minority on the issue, as more evidence comes in.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well Skeeter..funny you should mention it. Heroin is dirived from opium. Know what else is made from opium..? Morphine. Morphine is currently legal with a prescription and my guess is..although I don't know..is that it has far more negative side effects than marijuana.

Plus..you need to consider that different things work for different people. Current narcotic pain relievers might work for some people but not others. Many years ago I was rushed to the hospital with a serious medical emergency..in the worst pain I've ever had in my life. They gave me morphine to deal with the pain until they could get me into the OR...the morphine did not touch my pain..at all...and I am someone for whom a single advil is usually more than enough to get rid of most pain. 

So..if a little marijuana helps someone in constant pain who doesn't respond well to other meds..then I am all for it. Frankly..it is none of our business!

[/QUOTE]

Well, drug fact tidbits. Morphine is one of two ingredients in opium, made from opium poppies. Codeine is the other ingredient.

So codeine and morphine are your two perfectly natural opiates.

Hydrocodone, oxycodone, diphydracodamine, etc., are all derived from codeine.

Hydromorphone, Oxymorphone, and Di-Acetyl-Morhpine (aka Heroin) are derived from morphine.

Then there are synthetics: Propoxyphene, Methadone, Fentanyl, etc., which mimmick the structure and/or effect of the genuine opiates.

All of these are more dangerous than pot. None of them are good for people who already have no appetite and keep food down because of chemo or the disease itself.

For someone (skeeter, etc) to suggest that somehow these are better than marijuana is insane.

For someone (skeeter, etc) to suggest that kids will get their hands on dope now that it can be gotten for medicinal purposes (or in WA&CO, for fun) is...well....   ]

....let's just say they haven't been paying attention for the last 100 years....   

[/QUOTE]

Ah...thanks for clarifying. Funny..I actually thought it was the other way around with morphine ( and codeine for that matter). I thought opium was an ingredient..but actually they make up opium. That actually makes more sense.

Too funny about skeeter thinking legal prescription marjiuana will be easy to get. He clearly hasn't needed to get a prescription narcotic lately. A few months ago..hubbie was passing a kidney stone. Took a couple of weeks to pass..and a couple of refills on the codiene.  To pick them up I had to show a license and sign for it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

The "hippies" thing gave me a good laugh......

This song is for Skeeter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zErP5QoMA3w

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TlBTPITo1I

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6aXlqPMEXk

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-war-on-weed-still-expensive-racist-and-failed

I think republicans would lighten up if they started to light up!

So since my post was removed, I'll ask and hopefully no one has it removed this time....

Could you point me to the legislation put forth by the Dems for legalizing pot at the federal level?

Also, what's Obama's stance on legalizing pot at the federal level?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

Andie....

Don't allow jackbu to pull you into his game. You have enough on your plate, and if he took a second to read your previous comments he'd see that you are going through something very difficult....and your time away has been due to your husbands cancer fight.

It's not worth your time nor your energy to waste on him.

MO,

Thanks. For the record I was not banned.  There are a host of reasons I took time away including of course my husband.

And MO, with everthing that has and is going on in my personal life, I hope I have the perspective now not to let jack or any other poster draw me into such pettiness in the scheme of things.  If I do then it is time to take another break.

The below post to him is my first and last post to him. If I respond again to him you have my full permission to give me a good public scolding. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

You got to admit, hippies do smell bad.

-

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

And alcoholics smell so much better. :)

Alcholism is a disease, not true for being a hippie.  Perhaps with your re-entry theme you should be a little more senstive to the disease alcoholism.  Welcome back, I remember when I took a month off from posting, you chanted many times that I was banned.  Should we assume the same with your absence? 

jack,

I am perfectly fine with changing the word alcoholics to the term people who are drinking.

Second, you and both know you were banned. When the paywall went up you were"unbanned" which may or may not have been a computer glitch. Other posters have been open about the fact they have been banned amd I respect them for their honesty. If I had known you would not be as up front as they, I would have taken a screen shot of your profile page at the time as proof positive. (And before you post the question why I went to look at your page it was because at the time you were continually harasing me with accusations of having multiple screen names and I let myself get drawn in. Second, I was curious to see if you ever posted anything of substance.)

Leave this alone or not, I am done.

Oh, and somehow I feel your "welcome back" is not truly genuine. Cannot imagine why.

Be well, jack. And that is genuine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

So since my post was removed, I'll ask and hopefully no one has it removed this time....

Could you point me to the legislation put forth by the Dems for legalizing pot at the federal level?

[/QUOTE]

In a speech given in Mexico City on May 3rd, Obama had the following to say about his POV about the legalization of certain drugs during his 2nd term.

Obama

“I’ve been asked, and I honestly do not believe that legalizing drugs is the answer,” the president told a large gathering of young Mexicans at the city’s Anthropology Museum.

Polls show that more and more Americans favor ending the federal ban on pot. A handful of states in the U.S. have lifted legal restrictions on the drug in recent years — including Colorado and Washington — putting Obama in an awkward place. A pot smoker in his younger days, he must decide whether to instruct his Department of Justice to challenge those state laws, or to simply let them be.

The president likely felt it necessary to touch on drugs in his speech today since marijuana is a chief import from Mexico to the United States. It is also largely to blame for the rising swell of cartel violence that has killed thousands in Mexico over the years, and has occasionally spilled over into the southern U.S.

Obama said that his administration must focus on an all-encompassing strategy to deal with drug users at home, as well as figure out a way to reduce demand for drugs.

“We understand that much of the root cause of violence that’s been happening here in Mexico, for which many so Mexicans have suffered, is the demand for illegal drugs in the United States. And so we’ve got to continue to make progress on that front.”

He added that fixing the problem will require “a comprehensive approach — not just law enforcement, but education and prevention and treatment.”

Those words reflect the latest plan put forth by Obama’s Office of National Drug Control Policy, which essentially considers recreational drug use to be a public health issue. Rather than advocating for reforming drug users through jails and prisons, the plan calls for blending strong prevention techniques with effective rehabilitation programs in order to curb future drug use.

The Obama administration’s strategy, though, is somewhat controversial since it technically defines regular pot users as people with brain diseases — addiction, the administration says, is a brain disease. Scores of marijuana defenders, however, say that there is no proof that the drug is addictive.

_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the short answer is he is not in favor of legalization of pot.

As for those states which have passed the use of pot of medical reasons, I think we all know he has instructed the DOJ to stand down in continuing to pursue cases. He has yet to make a decison as to what to do about the states that have legalize pot outright.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The below is in response to your question regarding any legislation put forth by Democrats regarding the legalization of pot on the federal level. Source is abcnews.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new effort is under way in Congress to legalize marijuana.

After Colorado and Washington became the first two states to approve the sale and use of pot, marijuana advocates are turning their eye toward the federal government – something they don’t often do.

Members of Congress will introduce between eight and 10 bills to roll back federal marijuana restrictions and levy new taxes.

The first two were introduced this week by two liberal members of Congress. Reps. Jared Polis, D-Colo., and Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., on Monday rolled out a pair of bills that would legalize and tax marijuana at the federal level, while still allowing states to ban it.

Polis’s bill, the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act, would remove marijuana from the list of banned substances under the Controlled Substances Act and regulate pot under a renamed Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana and Firearms. Marijuana growers would have to buy permits to offset the costs of federal oversight.

Blumenauer’s bill, the Marijuana Tax Equity Act, would levy a 50-percent excise tax on the first sale of marijuana, typically from growers to processors or sellers, plus annual “occupation taxes” of $1,000 and $500 on marijuana growers and anyone else engaged in the business.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., meanwhile, plans to introduce another marijuana bill sometime soon. He’s the only Republican to formally support either Polis or Blumenauer as a cosponsor.

Blumenauer’s office confirmed that a slew of bills are on the way.

“We are in the process of a dramatic shift in the marijuana policy landscape,” Blumenauer said in a prepared statement on Monday.

He may be right. Marijuana legalizers enjoyed unprecedented success in 2012, hitting on their two major legalization initiatives at the state level in Colorado and Washington. Since then, bills have been introduced to roll back marijuana restrictions in Hawaii, Oklahoma and Rhode Island.

It’s unlikely Congress will legalize pot anytime soon, despite polls showing broader public acceptance of pot. In December, 64 percent of Gallup respondents said they don’t want the federal government stepping in to prevent pot legalization in states that allow it. In November, another nationwide Gallup poll showed that 48 percent think marijuana should be legal, while 50 percent think it shouldn’t be.

But Polis’s bill only has 11 cosponsors and must make its way through the Republican-controlled House Agriculture Committee.  Blumenauer’s has two and must make its way through the GOP-controlled House Ways and Means Committee.

What’s significant about the new push, however, is that it comes on the heels of actual state-level policy change. State and federal laws now thoroughly conflict on the topic of marijuana, and never before has Congress considered legalization in that context.

In fact, Congress rarely considers marijuana legalization at all. The Washington, D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project considers a 2011 effort by then-Reps. Barney Frank, D-Mass., and Ron Paul, R-Texas, to have been the first serious effort to end marijuana “prohibition” at the federal level. That bill went nowhere. Before that, Frank pushed a bill in 2008 that mostly decriminalized marijuana federally. In a Democratic Congress, that bill died in committee. One of its seven cosponsors signed on by accident.

The present effort appears more coordinated. Along with their bills, Polis and Blumenauer released a 20-page white paper on the history of marijuana’s illegality. It’s the first time pot legislation has been introduced in such a multi-bill wave.

For decades, marijuana advocates have pushed medical-pot laws and decriminalization measures through state ballot initiatives and state legislatures. The federal push, unlikely as it may be, represents a new prong in their strategy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yes, two bills have already been introduced by Democratic mdembers of Congress with 6-8 bills more to come to legalizize pot on a federal level.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Twist and turn, run away. Very good.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not running away.  I point out that the two places dope has been legalized for "medicinal  purposes" have been disasters.  Anyone with an earache can get medicinal dope in California or Colorado.  It has led to a complete corruption of the original purpose. No one wants to deal with that.  

I am not against people smoking dope if it helps with their pain.  However, I don't know why they think that society has to be completely disrupted in order for them to do so.  Solve the distribution problem, and we are all good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, drug fact tidbits. Morphine is one of two ingredients in opium, made from opium poppies. Codeine is the other ingredient.

Hydromorphone, Oxymorphone, and Di-Acetyl-Morhpine (aka Heroin) are derived from morphine.

Then there are synthetics: Propoxyphene, Methadone, Fentanyl, etc., which mimmick the structure and/or effect of the genuine opiates.

All of these are more dangerous than pot. None of them are good for people who already have no appetite and keep food down because of chemo or the disease itself.

For someone (skeeter, etc) to suggest that somehow these are better than marijuana is insane.

For someone (skeeter, etc) to suggest that kids will get their hands on dope now that it can be gotten for medicinal purposes (or in WA&CO, for fun) is...well....   ]

....let's just say they haven't been paying attention for the last 100 years....   

[/QUOTE]

Dammit! In the time it took me to compose my response to Skeetard, you all stole my thunder! But whatever. I'm curious as to his response. It'll probably be something along the lines of "If you only prayed unto Jesus your pain would have been relieved. For did he not say 'physician, heal thyself.'" Or some other such thing. Althought, I do remember a verse from Timothy...."Don't drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.". But, nah......that might encourage alchoholism.

[/QUOTE]

Ah, so, your anti-christian venom is all you care about.  Glad you got that out.

That you can't look at how legalization has worked in California and Colorado and say, woah, let's take a pause figure this out a little better, is just astounding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Heroin and weed are two completely different animals. Ever see a heroin addict? Ever see what heroin does to a person and what affect it has on that person's loved ones?

How many weed addicts you ever hear about? How many musicians have there been who've died at the hands of pot? Been too many who've died at the hands of heroin though. 

You're comparing apples and hand grenades

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

The loudest voices against pot legalization (and pro-WoD generally):

1) Big Pharma (because of money they think they'll lose)

2) Evangelizers (because of "morality" they think is at stake)

3) Private Prison Companies (because of the number of inmates they profit from will be reduced)

All of whose arguments are highly flawed from the get-go.

Can any conservatives here cop to indulging in the sweet leaf from time-to-time...?  Or is that just something that 'libruls' do...?

I guess you are blind to the problems legalization, as it has been enacted, for "medical" reasons, is completely abused in California and Colorado.

Need a better plan or approach.

[/QUOTE]

I'm well aware of the problems...which are far outweighed by the influences I listed above, which all want decriminalization to fail for their own benefit...

...not to mention the many, many problems prohibition has caused to no end or rational goal.

Define "abuse", because I think you're the one who's blind.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ah...thanks for clarifying. Funny..I actually thought it was the other way around with morphine ( and codeine for that matter). I thought opium was an ingredient..but actually they make up opium. That actually makes more sense.

Too funny about skeeter thinking legal prescription marjiuana will be easy to get. He clearly hasn't needed to get a prescription narcotic lately. A few months ago..hubbie was passing a kidney stone. Took a couple of weeks to pass..and a couple of refills on the codiene.  To pick them up I had to show a license and sign for it.

[/QUOTE]

cricket,

Sorry about the kidney stone. Ouch!!! Yell

Couple of points. Any controlled substance requires showing a driver's license as well as signing for the medication. Easy to tell if a med is a controlled med. The RX number will start will a "C" followed by a string of numbers.

Absolutely true that different meds, narcotic and non-narcotic, work for different people targetted at different situations.

One example is the cocktail they currently use for people having colonosopies. It is designed to put the patient into "twilight sedation".

They changed the protocol a few years ago, swapping demerol for fentanyl. I was very sick for 2 days after the procedure...1st time ever. Told my gastro which is how we narrowed it down to the fentanyl. Next time gastro insisted they use demerol and I was fine.

Imporant issue for me since I have ulcerative colitis and have to have a colonoscopy at least every 3 years since I was 19.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

No, I don't know anyone who is using dope for "medical purposes".  That's a bunch of hoohey.

-----------------------------

I did.  My sister, and I got it for her.  She died.  Hooey this.

Gregin,

Some posters have very short memories. Included you and your sister...may she rest in peace... in an earlier post of mine.

I do not wish cancer on any poster or poster's loved one...nor do I think do you...to help them open their minds on this issue. You know thru your sister, and I thru my husband how hard the treatments are on top of the disease itself.

However...this thread is getting a bit frustrating. How much more does one have to know?

Have not even gone to that legal drug...alcohol. Deaths due to alcohol...got to look it up. Deaths due to marijuana...ZERO!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

alcohol deaths per year

drinking and driving causes over 25,ooo deaths a year. overall 100,000 deaths occur each year due to the effects of alcohol.Correction: According to the NHTSA web site (nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/RNotes/2006/810686.pdf), there were 43,443 alcohol related traffic fatalities in 2005 in the USA. As a comparison, AIDS claimed 18,000 lives in 2003. 

How can alcohol be blamed for 100,000 deaths each year?

• 5% of all deaths from diseases of the circulatory system are attributed to alcohol.
    • 15% of all deaths from diseases of the respiratory system are attributed to alcohol.
    • 30% of all deaths from accidents caused by fire and flames are attributed to alcohol.
    • 30% of all accidental drownings are attributed to alcohol.
    • 30% of all suicides are attributed to alcohol.
    • 40% of all deaths due to accidental falls are attributed to alcohol.
    • 45% of all deaths in automobile accidents are attributed to alcohol.
    • 60% of all homicides are attributed to alcohol.

• (Sources: NIDA Report, the Scientific American and Addiction Research Foundation of Ontario.) Also see Alcohol Consumption and Mortality, Alcohol poisoning deaths, CDC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further, 20,000 cancer deaths per year are related to alcohol. 

Despite everything negative that flows from alcohol usage, I do not think anyone here would be in favor of going back to criminalization of this drug.

Why then with all the documented evidence of the benefits of marijuana, in addition to the lessons that we should have learned that prohibition does not work, why are we still arguing about this?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dammit! In the time it took me to compose my response to Skeetard, you all stole my thunder! But whatever. I'm curious as to his response. It'll probably be something along the lines of "If you only prayed unto Jesus your pain would have been relieved. For did he not say 'physician, heal thyself.'" Or some other such thing. Althought, I do remember a verse from Timothy...."Don't drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.". But, nah......that might encourage alchoholism.

[/QUOTE]

Ah, so, your anti-christian venom is all you care about.  Glad you got that out.

That you can't look at how legalization has worked in California and Colorado and say, woah, let's take a pause figure this out a little better, is just astounding.

[/QUOTE]

I don't have anti-christian venom. I have anti-you venom.

[/QUOTE]

Cool!

The anti-venom is the truth.  Try it, and you are cured.

Sections
Shortcuts