The failed war on weed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: The failed war on weed

skeeter,

I just want to say I know you have taken a lot of criticism on this thread...some of it pretty heated and personal. I also know it is human nature to get more entrenched in one's original opinion the more one feels attacked.

I think some of that comes because some of us have been thru it, like Gregin and his sister, are going thru it, like my husband and me or others who are close to it but prefer to not share it online.

Sometimes people change their POV because they are thrown inro a situation. I am sure you remember that both Ronald and Nancy Reagan were totally against stem cell research. Then unfortunately, former President Reagan developed Alzeimers. A lot of us unfortunately know what a horrible disease that is. You probably also remember Nancy Reagan did a 180 on this issue. In fact she bacame an advocate for stem cell research.

Just one example of people doing 180s when a situation forced on them changes their minds.

Btw, bet you did not think I kept track of what the Reagans did or did not think after they left office. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

skeeter,

I just want to say I know you have taken a lot of criticism on this thread...some of it pretty heated and personal. I also know it is human nature to get more entrenched in one's original opinion the more one feels attacked.

I think some of that comes because some of us have been thru it, like Gregin and his sister, are going thru it, like my husband and me or others who are close to it but prefer to not share it online.

Sometimes people change their POV because they are thrown inro a situation. I am sure you remember that both Ronald and Nancy Reagan were totally against stem cell research. Then unfortunately, former President Reagan developed Alzeimers. A lot of us unfortunately know what a horrible disease that is. You probably also remember Nancy Reagan did a 180 on this issue. In fact she bacame an advocate for stem cell research.

Just one example of people doing 180s when a situation forced on them changes their minds.

Btw, bet you did not think I kept track of what the Reagans did or did not think after they left office. 

My position hasn't changed. I am all for sick people getting what they need.  That being said, the whole linkage between pot legalization and the ill is a ruse.  No one wants to deal with the issues legalization in the two places it has been tried, California and Colorado honestly.  In both places, it has been a disaster.

Talk about changing opinions?  I have relatives in both places that have had to deal with the ill effects of their older (i.e. out of the house) children getting access to dope via this "I have a headache" medical dope system in these places.  It is hearbreaking.  

They are not the only ones.  I think all you dopers need to think about the carnage you are wreaking on society before pushing this further.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

My position hasn't changed. I am all for sick people getting what they need.  That being said, the whole linkage between pot legalization and the ill is a ruse.  No one wants to deal with the issues legalization in the two places it has been tried, California and Colorado honestly.  In both places, it has been a disaster.

They are not the only ones.  I think all you dopers need to think about the carnage you are wreaking on society before pushing this further.

Sure sounds like you are still hung-up about the medication itself and not the goal of treating the ill.

It's not a ruse...you just don't accept the significant, positive effects marijuana can have on those who are suffering.

It has not been a "disaster" in either CA or CO, unless you've redefined the term to suit your bias.

What "carnage" are you blathering about...?!  How is "society" worse off, in your estimation?  

What, exactly, is Your Problem...!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Oh, and by the way:

Where are the so-called libertarians who are FOR the unfettered right to own guns but AGAINST the right to smoke herb...?

Because it's largely the same difference, even though bullets kill more people than weed ever did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Oh, and by the way:

Where are the so-called libertarians who are FOR the unfettered right to own guns but AGAINST the right to smoke herb...?

Because it's largely the same difference, even though bullets kill more people than weed ever did.

Your comparison is way off.

Supporting the right to keep and bear arms isnt a Libertarian issue, it is a Constitutional issue.

"Bullets kill more people than weed ever did."  Weak.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

Supporting the right to keep and bear arms isnt a Libertarian issue, it is a Constitutional issue.

[/QUOTE]

It's not so far as you think, since it's all really just a question of behavior:  Whether responsible adults can behave themselves with either illicit weapons or illicit drugs in their own homes in a way that doesn't hurt anyone else.

Just like there is no moral case against the weapons themselves (guns don't kill people), there is also no moral case against the drugs themselves (drugs don't kill people).  It's only HOW they're used that really matters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Sure sounds like you are still hung-up about the medication itself and not the goal of treating the ill.

It's not a ruse...you just don't accept the significant, positive effects marijuana can have on those who are suffering.

It has not been a "disaster" in either CA or CO, unless you've redefined the term to suit your bias.

What "carnage" are you blathering about...?!  How is "society" worse off, in your estimation?  

[/QUOTE]

If you don't think legalization has been a disaster in California and Colorado, you are willfully ignorant.  both places have had enormous difficulties, and it has fueled the illegal drug trade as well.

You think education on a subject is time consuming, try ignorance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Oh, and by the way:

Owning guns is a deterent to crime.  Most of that crime centers around drug use.

I need guns to fend off dopers and crackheads.

That's the linkage you were looking for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you don't think legalization has been a disaster in California and Colorado, you are willfully ignorant.  both places have had enormous difficulties, and it has fueled the illegal drug trade as well.

[/QUOTE]

I still take issue with your specious definition of "disaster"...which does not equal "difficulties".

To wit: Colorado went even further and decriminalized completely.  Clearly, coloradans don't think it's been a disaster.

So, what are you talking about?!!?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

Owning guns is a deterent to crime.  Most of that crime centers around drug use.

[/QUOTE]

Owning guns is not a deterrent to crime if the criminal also has guns.  Drug use itself is not a violent crime.  

And we've already explained in detail how drug convictions are mostly on non-violent offenders...by a wide margin.

Why are you trying to link "dopers" and "crackheads"...??  What is wrong with you?!

Again, you prove you don't know a damm thing of what you're talking about.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Implementation of medicinal weed is the problem.  As Skeeter said, "I have a headache, I need weed"

But the absurdity of telling a chemo patient she can't smoke a joint even though it makes her feel better, but can have a script for heroine, even though it doesn't help at all, is just fcking stupid.

Agreed.

What I said and provided links to shows that legalizing dope has caused huge problems.  We need to sort it out in a better way, so those that truly need it, get it, and those abusing it to get around the generalized legalization, get to go pound sand.

that being said, I just about at the point of saying just legalize it all.  But, if you overdose, or ruin you life sitting around smoking dope all day, i say leave you overdosed body on the sidewalk.  No Obamacare for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

[/QUOTE]

Owning guns is not a deterrent to crime if the criminal also has guns.  Drug use itself is not a violent crime.  

And we've already explained in detail how drug convictions are mostly on non-violent offenders...by a wide margin.

Why are you trying to link "dopers" and "crackheads"...??  What is wrong with you?!

[/QUOTE]

Sure guns are a deterrent. Own big, large capacity guns.  Then when the. Doper shows up to steal you tv to pay for more dope, you have the advantage.

you are right that dopers and crackheads are different. Dopers giggle and drool as they slide off the couch onto the floor.  Crackheads s are generally just drooling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You really think if a criminal breaks into a home and realizes the homeowner has a gun that said criminal will continue with his plan to steal from that home just because he has a gun too? there is no way you can believe that. A criminal here's the cocking of a shotgun and they are out of there in a heartbeat. They are only "tough" when they are the only ones armed.

This from White House.gov

Most people whose only crime is marijuana possession do not go to prison. A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes). Other independent research has shown that the risk of arrest for each “joint,” or marijuana cigarette, smoked is about 1 arrest for every 12,000 joints.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

[/QUOTE]

His comparison is not off at all. True libertarians would believe in both a person's right to bear arms..and a person's right to smoke pot ( or use any other drug).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hey Skeeter...you do know that a significan number of drug addicts also abuse prescription narcotics...right? By your logic..should we  then criminalize oxycodone, codeine, morphine, percocet...etc?

How come you don't use the same argument about guns (you know..the one where because some people might abuse it..it should be illegal?)

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

[/QUOTE]

His comparison is not off at all. True libertarians would believe in both a person's right to bear arms..and a person's right to smoke pot ( or use any other drug).

[/QUOTE]

Exactly right. I go even a step further and say legalize gambling and prostitution also. People should be able to do what they choose as long as it doesn't harm another being.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Oh, and by the way:

Exactly right. I go even a step further and say legalize gambling and prostitution also. People should be able to do what they choose as long as it doesn't harm another being.

Except drink a large soda?

Progressives worship the Government as our masters, so your "feel good" statements and what Democrats do are quite different.

They dont call Democrats the Party of Government for nothing.... Obama Administration Adds 11,000 Pages of Federal Regulations .....a 2008 study  estimated the annual cost of compliance for all federal regulations at $1.7 trillion...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

Progressives worship the Government as our masters, so your "feel good" statements and what Democrats do are quite different.

They dont call Democrats the Party of Government for nothing.... Obama Administration Adds 11,000 Pages of Federal Regulations .....a 2008 study  estimated the annual cost of compliance for all federal regulations at $1.7 trillion...[/QUOTE]

Okay....except that we were talking about libertarians. You know they are not the same as Dems...right..?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Oh, and by the way:

They dont call Democrats the Party of Government for nothing.... Obama Administration Adds 11,000 Pages of Federal Regulations .....a 2008 study  estimated the annual cost of compliance for all federal regulations at $1.7 trillion...

Okay....except that we were talking about libertarians. You know they are not the same as Dems...right..?

The Party of Government is about as far from libertarian as one can get.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

The Party of Government is about as far from libertarian as one can get.

[/QUOTE]

Good grief....lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Oh, and by the way:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's off.  One is a constitutional right that is essential to a free country, the other is an indulgence for the weak minded, save the medical users.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Hey Skeeter...you do know that a significan number of drug addicts also abuse prescription narcotics...right? By your logic..should we  then criminalize oxycodone, codeine, morphine, percocet...etc?

How come you don't use the same argument about guns (you know..the one where because some people might abuse it..it should be illegal?)

These drugs are illegal for recreational use.  So, I don't get your point.

Guns are a constitutionally protected right.

Show me where in the constitution getting wasted is a constitutional right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just a link for you, Skeeter, you dope.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dope

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just a link for you, Skeeter, you dope.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dope

[/QUOTE]

My favorite is # 6...

"heroin, not crack, not powder, but heroin. not marijuana, not meth. but heroin. heroin is the only thing that dope could ever be. people who don't know what dope is are people with very sheltered lives."