The failed war on weed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The failed war on weed

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Sure guns are a deterrent. Own big, large capacity guns.  Then when the. Doper shows up to steal you tv to pay for more dope, you have the advantage.

you are right that dopers and crackheads are different. Dopers giggle and drool as they slide off the couch onto the floor.  Crackheads s are generally just drooling.

More proof you're totally out of your gourd.

Clearly, you have no practical experience with any of this.  Keep your misinformed, hypothetical theories.

Freud had lots to say about men and their "large capacity guns", indeed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"IF alcohol and tobacco are legal, than everything less harmful (including pot) should be treated the same"

Might have a hard time convincing Obama it's less harmful

Right from WhiteHouse.gov:

Marijuana use is harmful and should be discouraged
    • Marijuana use is associated with dependence, respiratory and mental illness, poor motor performance, and impaired cognitive and immune system functioning, among other negative effects.
    • Marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory.
    • Studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and schizophrenia.
    • Other research has shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. Marijuana smoke, in fact, contains 50‐70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sure guns are a deterrent. Own big, large capacity guns.  Then when the. Doper shows up to steal you tv to pay for more dope, you have the advantage.

you are right that dopers and crackheads are different. Dopers giggle and drool as they slide off the couch onto the floor.  Crackheads s are generally just drooling.

Clearly, you have no practical experience with any of this.  Keep your misinformed, hypothetical theories.

[/QUOTE]

Skeeter thinks Reefer Madness is a factual documentary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]Colorado.

And Washington legalized it for fun outright.

At the end of the day, there really is only one logical (not emotional) answer here: IF alcohol and tobacco are legal, than everything less harmful (including pot) should be treated the same.

This is buttressed by the equally inescapble conclusion: Even if you think all drugs are evil, you have to agree the War on Drugs is a pointlesss and expensive failure. Just like the first battle in that war was: prohibition of booze.

The only opposition takes an emotional form, whether derived from personal experiences extrapolated to others, or from government propoganda. At the end of the day, proponents of the War on Drugs are only left sputtering "drugs are bad" and "think of the children"

Well, some are quite bad. The war on them still failed. Think of new solutions.

Anyone who thinks something that has failed for 100 years will suddenly succeed if we just keep doing it the same way.......

....well let's just say I question their mental capacity.

[/QUOTE]

WDTWN,

All well said. Pulled the thread together very well.

Last 2 paragraphs..." Anyone who thinks something etc..."

Is that not a more PC way of expressing Einstein's theory of insanity???

I am pretty sure it is. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

jed,

You mean Reefer Madness is NOT a documentary!!! Oh my, oh my, oh my!!!

Actually you just gave me a good idea for something else to watch besides news, sports and old movies...something for comedic relief. Never can have too much of that.

p.s. skeeter, this post means no offense to you whatsoever. You and this "librul"  have worked at relating and engaging each other in the forums with mutual respect. I consider that a mutual accomplishment. Not to mention the much needed humor you recently provided on another thread. You are really giving Stalking Butler a run for his money in posters who do humor well in the forums. And gee, another conservative. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

"IF alcohol and tobacco are legal, than everything less harmful (including pot) should be treated the same"

Might have a hard time convincing Obama it's less harmful

Right from WhiteHouse.gov:

Marijuana use is harmful and should be discouraged

• Marijuana use is associated with dependence, respiratory and mental illness, poor motor performance, and impaired cognitive and immune system functioning, among other negative effects.
    • Marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory.
    • Studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and schizophrenia.
    • Other research has shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. Marijuana smoke, in fact, contains 50‐70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.

46&2,

If memory serves, when a poster asked earlier in this thread what Obama stood on legalization of marijuana, I did give him the correct reply. In short, he is against it.

I voted for Obama both times. But I am mature enough to know you are not going to get everything you believe in from the candidate you supported.

Your post, and its source, really closes the book on this topic for this President's 2nd term. Even if a bill could get thru both chambers of Congress, Obama of course has the power to veto it. And why fight the fight if such clear signals such as this are being sent from the White House.

It would be an utter waste of political capital.

Further disappointing has been he has told the DOJ, as you well know, to stand down on those states which have legalized mariguana outright and esp. those who have for medicinal purposes. (In MA of course you need a M.D. referral...not presciption) as a step to assessing mar. for medical reasons. 

Believe me, many Obama voters, people who worked/volunteered to keep him in office struggle. But between the two men, for me, it was a simple choice. Romney was no choice at all. Further, like most voters, I am not a single issue voter...not that this issue would have been a litmus test between the two men.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey Skeeter...you do know that a significan number of drug addicts also abuse prescription narcotics...right? By your logic..should we  then criminalize oxycodone, codeine, morphine, percocet...etc?

How come you don't use the same argument about guns (you know..the one where because some people might abuse it..it should be illegal?)

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

Please. Weed? It tends to be the least addictive of all that is an addictive substance. Skeeter is fine with far more addictive and destructive things provided they are legal. Tobbacco and alcohol? That's fine. They are legal and taxed.

[/QUOTE]

Really?  Don't think I said that, but keep trying to put words in my mouth.

Besdies, what's the whole kurfuffle about anyways?  Medical dope is legal in this state.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Skeeter thinks Reefer Madness is a factual documentary.

[/QUOTE]

If you spent your college years getting high and watching Reefer Madness, your loss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

I was trying to demonstrate to him ..essentially..that the sky is not going to fall if marijuana becomes available by prescription.

Pot is easier to get than alcohol until one turns 21....and skeeter concludes that legalization/regulation/taxation will suddenly put pot in kids hands.

Lets um.... think about that for a second.

Skeeter is blissfully happy in the world of tin foil hats. Even though you and I understand this..somehow..I think it will still remain beyond Skeeter's grasp.

Yes, let's think about that.  The statement you are responding to from a previous poster is BS, completely unsupportable.

I don't conclude that legalizing pot as it has been done in Colorado and California puts pot into children's hands, that's what the data shows.  You can ignore the facts if you like, but it doesn't make your strawman any more true.

You have so lost your way on this that facts do not matter.  Putting pot dispensiaries on every street corner and allowing anyone who one day had walked through the lobby of a medical school to write a prescription for any reason does not serve those in need of dope for pain management.  What is does is broaden the distribution and use of dope in the general population, many of whom are under age.

You realise there are alcohol dispensiaries (your "word", not mine) located on nearly every street corner allowing anyone over the age of 21 to legally purchase booze, right? You can also buy booze in many movie theatres as well. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent restaurant that does not serve alcohol. By your logic, what this does is broaden the distribution and use of booze in the general population, many of whom are under age.

[/QUOTE]

Did I say I was in favor of alcohol being dispensed as you describe?

Weak argument, trying to get me onto the social ills of booze, then use it as an argument for legalizing dope.  Sigh.  The idiocy of youth. Take a problem, tell me it is bigger than the problem you want to foist on the rest of us, so it's all good.  Go back to school and learn to think.  Better yet, don't.  Get into the real world.  that will teach you more than school at this point.

Just tell me the truth:  Did you come up with this idea after a wicked big hit off a bong?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Bread and Circus.  That's all this is to the Democrats, Bread and Circus.  Get the folks all doped up, keep 'em quiet.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

I believe in decriminalizing marijuana, but  cant buy into the idea that the prisons are full of young innocent first time users of pot. It is a myth.

http://www.pomeradonews.com/2013/01/16/will-wooton-legalizing-pot-won%E2%80%99t-unburden-legal-system/

....the total number of state inmates doing time for any drug offense with a prior conviction is 83 percent. Basically, the large majority committed crimes in the past and nearly two-thirds of them (62 percent) had multiple prior convictions.
    First time drug offenders equals 3.6 percent of all state inmates.

• Offenses involving marijuana equals 2.7 percent of all state inmates.

• Prisoners held for marijuana only equals 1.6 percent of all state inmates.

• Prisoners held for marijuana possession only equals 0.7 percent of all state inmates.

First time offenders held only for marijuana possession equals 0.3 percent of all state inmates.

"These clearly are not the numbers that the legalization movement is talking about when they say that there are 86.5 marijuana arrests every hour in this country. Yes, that may be a number that is real, but it is misleading. If someone steals a car and is arrested for that car theft and marijuana, I don’t believe it is fair to list that person as a casualty of the federal marijuana laws. You can’t solely point out just the drug arrest and omit that they have priors and may be on parole for other crimes. You can be sentenced just for marijuana but, as the numbers point out, only 0.3 percent of inmates are incarcerated for only that with no prior record. Many of 3.6 percent are individuals that were arrested for selling or trafficking very large amounts, not for their personal use.

I don’t believe that making marijuana legal will somehow free millions of marijuana smokers and unburden our legal system."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

[QUOTE]

What is the legal Blood THC Content (BTC) to drive?

I believe CO is considering 5 nanograms.

[/QUOTE]

Emphasis on the word considering.Dope is legal, there is no leal limit to drive.  Nice.

what is it with you progressives?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Emphasis on the word considering.Dope is legal, there is no leal limit to drive.  Nice.

[/QUOTE]

Could you please stop reefering (cute pun) to weed as dope? Aside from being confusing, it makes you look ignorant as to the subject at hand.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Think carefully. I won't be too harsh if you can admit your mistake.

Right now: There is no legal limit to drive. Correct.

That means if they pull you over, get a warrant for your blood, and you have ANY amount in you, you're busted.

And the limit they are considering? Well it's so low it would nab anyone who smoked just about any amount before driving. Blood levels easily exceed 100ng/ml for a standard dose, according to the research I posted.

What is it with you prohibitionists?

[/QUOTE]

Nice dodge.  Doubt it would stand up in court, as not setting a limit does not equate to a zero limit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could you please stop reefering (cute pun) to weed as dope? Aside from being confusing, it makes you look ignorant as to the subject at hand.

[/QUOTE]

A stoner telling me I look ignorant on the subject of "dope"?

that's rich.

I use dope becasue I am sick of typing out marijuana.  Besides "dope" is more descriptive of the effect, in my expereince.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[waaaaaahhhhhhh. Why won't anyone respond to me seriously? Why do they always laugh at me and ignore my threads? Waaaaaahhhh].

[QUOTE]Bread and Circus.  That's all this is to the Democrats, Bread and Circus.  Get the folks all doped up, keep 'em quiet.[/QUOTE]

Oh.

[QUOTE]in my worldview, homosexuality is as wrong as cancer[/QUOTE]

Ohhh....   

[/QUOTE]

As you lose the argument again, that old chestnut comes out again?

Why don't you argue like a man?  Too stoned?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Thankfully it doesn't happen as often as some here would lead people to believe...at least according to the White House anyway

• Most people whose only crime is marijuana possession do not go to prison. A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes). Other independent research has shown that the risk of arrest for each “joint,” or marijuana cigarette, smoked is about 1 arrest for every 12,000 joints.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nicknames and Street Names for Marijuana

* Weed
    * Pot
    * Reefer
    * Grass
    * Dope
    * Ganja
    * Mary Jane
    * Hash
    * Herb
    * Aunt Mary
    * Skunk
    * Boom
    * Chronic
    * Cheeba
    * Blunt
    * Ashes
    * Atshitshi
    * Baby Bhang
    * Bammy
    * Blanket
    * Bo-Bo
    * Bobo Bush
    * Bomber
    * Boom
    * Broccoli
    * Cripple
    * Dagga
    * Dinkie Dow
    * Ding
    * Dona Juana (or Juanita)
    * Flower, Flower Tops
    * Ganja
    * Gasper
    * Giggle Smoke
    * Good Giggles
    * Good Butt
    * Hot Stick
    * Jay
    * Jolly Green
    * Joy Smoke, Joy Stick
    * Roach

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nicknames and Street Names for Marijuana

* Weed
    * Pot
    * Reefer
    * Grass
    * Dope
    * Ganja
    * Mary Jane
    * Hash
    * Herb
    * Aunt Mary
    * Skunk
    * Boom
    * Chronic
    * Cheeba
    * Blunt
    * Ashes
    * Atshitshi
    * Baby Bhang
    * Bammy
    * Blanket
    * Bo-Bo
    * Bobo Bush
    * Bomber
    * Boom
    * Broccoli
    * Cripple
    * Dagga
    * Dinkie Dow
    * Ding
    * Dona Juana (or Juanita)
    * Flower, Flower Tops
    * Ganja
    * Gasper
    * Giggle Smoke
    * Good Giggles
    * Good Butt
    * Hot Stick
    * Jay
    * Jolly Green
    * Joy Smoke, Joy Stick
    * Roach

[/QUOTE]

I think for progressives, the proper term is "Choom"  as in " Choom Gang".  Hey, do you know who was a stoner in that gang?