The National Anthem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The National Anthem

I posted a similar thread in the Red Sox forum...but figured I would post it here too. Watching the World Cup matches these past few days reminded me of something I have wondered about for quite some time. Why do other countries sing out their national anthems loud and proud..while in general , we in the US sit passively at sporting events and listen to someone else perform our anthem. I got some interesting answers from the folks in the Sox forum..so kind of interested in how the politics people feel about this.

I remember the days following 9/11 and the Boston bombings..and at the various sporting events taking place in the days that followed...people did join in. So..why not always?

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: The National Anthem

Because our national anthem is hard to sing.  It should be changed to "American the Beautiful".  A song that celebrates the Country.  But if you want a National Anthem to be a sing along, then make it, "This Land", which will certainly make the righties have a fit, pointing out that Woody Guthrie was a Commie which automatically means he was a bad American because doing anything that helps the poor at the expense of the rich makes someone a bad American but doing things for the rich at the expense of the common man makes them a national hero.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Guess some people just can't help themselves....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because our national anthem is hard to sing.  It should be changed to "American the Beautiful".  A song that celebrates the Country.  But if you want a National Anthem to be a sing along, then make it, "This Land", which will certainly make the righties have a fit, pointing out that Woody Guthrie was a Commie which automatically means he was a bad American because doing anything that helps the poor at the expense of the rich makes someone a bad American but doing things for the rich at the expense of the common man makes them a national hero.

[/QUOTE]

A drinking song is hard to sing?

[/QUOTE]

You think the Star Spangle Banner is easy to sing?  I don't even know what a spangle is?  Isn't it a cross between Spanish and english.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Visit Ft McHenry in Baltimore, maybe even you will have a change of heart and appreciate the poetry of the verses...

Though the little known fourth verse has been known to irk modern progressives:

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
    Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Are people really whining about the national anthem? Slow day?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with regards to America the Beautiful...pretty song and much easier to sing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I don't understand what is so hard about singing the National Anthem. No one expects the average person to sing ANY song in perfect pitch and tone. Maybe we give the person singing the National Anthem their due respect by letting them be heard. Otherwise, why have someone sing the song at each sporting event? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

I always sing it, I was raised going to Bruins games and always sung it loud.

Originally when I saw you question posted, I thought maybe it had to do with how divided this country is politically...while I still believe part of that to be true, I think it may also be due to the fact the younger generation hasn't been raised to sing it loud and with pride.

I remember singing it in school and if we didn't sing it correctly having to write it 10x. Today, our kids are have seen stories or the Pledge being questioned....and other forms of patriotism being questioned....I think we are doing the younger generation a disservice by questioning and allowing so many forms of patriotism to be dissected.