The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous'

In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous':
    [QUOTE]Hmm! three branches GOV ?  one  Check.   If someone thinks one of the three branches got something wrong , someone asked it to be checked. sometimes when it's checked and it's changed , Then the three branches fix it. so it's pretty much been there done that.   most of the time lawyers make a mountain out of a mole hill.     
    Posted by howiewho[/QUOTE]

Actually lawyers and judges are the folks that insure that your rights are protected from governmental power.  That is no "mole hill".  Particularly in the context of this thread.  The president already has too much power through his reponsibility as commander in chief.  This view of the Constitution (ignoring the Supreme Court's decisions) would insure his power in domestic matters would also dominate. The thought of the self important President Gingrich deciding through his own prejudices and interpretations what the law will be should give everyone pause. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous'

In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous':
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : Actually lawyers and judges are the folks that insure that your rights are protected from governmental power.  That is no "mole hill".  Particularly in the context of this thread.  The president already has too much power through his reponsibility as commander in chief.  This view of the Constitution (ignoring the Supreme Court's decisions) would insure his power in domestic matters would also dominate. The thought of the self important President Gingrich deciding through his own prejudices and interpretations what the law will be should give everyone pause. 
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

ALL the branches of government have too much power. Take them all back a couple of nitches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : ALL the branches of government have too much power. Take them all back a couple of nitches.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

How?  The people to a certain extent get what they want and need.  There are ways to change things without destroying the very fabric of the nation.  Gingrich is a puffed up fool in love with his own intellect.  He should not be making these decisions for the nation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]I heard that portion of the debate, and Newt makes a good point.  Time to stop making law through the courts.  Time to restore that burden to those who we entrust with that duty.

Huh..?? So you want politicians to not only have the power to make law..but to interpret it as well?  Sorry..not me. I will trust people who actually know the law to interpret it..even if I don't always agree with their decision. Too funny..let's undo a system that has been in place for centuries just because we don't agree with a decision.
    Sounds a bit like spoiled child logic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : ALL the branches of government have too much power. Take them all back a couple of nitches.
    ....and put that power where..? Back to citizens? We already have the ultimate power..it's called the general election. Don't like the direction your country is going it..? Go to the polls and vote the person you think will do the best job..not the person the MSM tells you to vote for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : How?  The people to a certain extent get what they want and need.  There are ways to change things without destroying the very fabric of the nation.  Gingrich is a puffed up fool in love with his own intellect.  He should not be making these decisions for the nation.

Banning cellphones, getting rid of the incandescent light bulb,  massive spending, ie., the inability to constrain spending, judicial decisions that boggle the mind, more czars for everything in order to by pass congress. It's a mess.

Take 'em all back a notch or two.

Gingrich may be wrong, but he sure has tapped into discontent.  It depends on the details.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : Huh..?? So you want politicians to not only have the power to make law..but to interpret it as well?  Sorry..not me. I will trust people who actually know the law to interpret it..even if I don't always agree with their decision. Too funny..let's undo a system that has been in place for centuries just because we don't agree with a decision. Sounds a bit like spoiled child logic.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

Huh?  When did I say I wanted the legislature to interpret the law?  you are making claims that I said things I didn't.

The judiciary is a co-equal branch of government, not a superior one.  If they are wrong,. the legislature can write laws/push constitutional amendments to change things.  the executive can issue executive orders.  It's all done now.  To tell you the truth, I don't see where the fuss is, except with those who seem to think that the law, is well, above the law.

That's the spoiled child logic here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Man o man.  I guess we know who are the unemployed lawyers here.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : Banning cellphones, getting rid of the incandescent light bulb,  massive spending, ie., the inability to constrain spending, judicial decisions that boggle the mind, more czars for everything in order to by pass congress. It's a mess. Take 'em all back a notch or two. Gingrich may be wrong, but he sure has tapped into discontent.  It depends on the details.

Get people elected that agree with your point of view.  Stop your whinning otherwise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]Man o man.  I guess we know who are the unemployed lawyers here.

And I guess we know who are the amateurs who pretend to be lawyers are.  And I include Gingrich in that assessment.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Yawn...
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Hmm.  Don't think I ever claimed to be a lawyer.  Funny how you seem to want to respond to all my posts.  Hmm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : And I guess we know whio are the amateurs who pretend to be lawyers are.  And I include Gingrich in that assessment.

I guess ordinary citizens can't discuss the law, lest we offend the sensibilities of those who breathe the rare air of the law which governs us all.  I guess we have a legal system that is beyond the people.

Thanks at least for not lowering yourself to the stupid personal attacks of WDYWN.  He's got issues.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sshore123. Show sshore123's posts

[QUOTE]Newt Gingrich says as President he would abide by "small government" values. Just kidding, he says he would send US Marshals to arrest any judge whose decision he disagrees with under charges of treason against America.  This guy just gets crazier by the day. The sad thing is that he appealing to his base, and they're howling in agreement. Just shows how out of touch with actual Constitutional values the wingnuts are. The wingnuts have this idea that they can trample the Constitution when it fits their ignorant ideology. They want to be able to cherry pick what parts of the Constitution thay uphold and which ones they can just ignore. Gingrich and the wingnuts are just plain fascist, willing to ignore the Constitution in order to persue their ideology. Gingrich: Capitol Police Could Arrest ‘Radical’ Judges Newt Gingrich on Sunday hammered at the nation’s judiciary system, saying that if a court’s decision was out of step with American popular opinion, it should be ignored. Host Bob Schieffer asked Gingrich how he planned to enforce that. Would you call in the Capitol Police to apprehend a federal judge, he asked. “If you had to,” Gingrich said. “Or you’d instruct the Justice Department to send the U.S. Marshall in.” http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/gingrich-capitol-police-could-arrest-radical-judges.php?ref=fpa Hmmm, I wonder if we the people could arrest Congress if they pass legislation that one party doesn't agree with? I thought Gingrich was a history scholar? Either he's being willfully ignorant of such 'unpopular' legislation as civil rights or he believes that those laws are wrong and should be repealed. 
    Posted by airborne-rgr[/QUOTE]

Newt's out there, but want to include the items form that Q&A exchange that talking points dropped to make a more damning sound bite to better serve their purpose - ie. arrest a judge for ignoring a congressional subpoena to appear before a congressional committee to address the rationale behind their decisions.

Not sure I'm crazy about the idea, but I do think that there is some merit in having a judge further explain their decisions, since some of these decisions are the basis for further laws and subsequent rulings.  It seems the judicary is the one leg of gov't that is never checked and judges from either end of the spectrum have found ways to creatively legislate with their rulings.  I see nothing wrong is them being qasked to explain questionable rulings, especially since federal judges have lifetime appointments.  Chief executives and legislators can be voted out and/or face term limits, yet a judgeship is for life. 
    Knowing human nature, I can see how some can get a god complex and decide how they see fit and not necessarily within the scope of the law.  Being quesitoned and perhaps facing impeachment if improprieties are found is heathly we truly want to keep a system of checks and balances in place

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Nut...err I mean Newt is at it again. Former Bush Attorneys General Call Gingrich Position on Courts 'Dangerous' : I guess ordinary citizens can't discuss the law, lest we offend the sensibilities of those who breathe the rare air of the law which governs us all.  I guess we have a legal system that is beyond the people. Thanks at least for not lowering yourself to the stupid personal attacks of WDYWN.  He's got issues.

Seriously: who knows more about the law (supposedly) unemployed lawyers of lay people?  Think real hard  on this one... 

You gave a dig and you got a bigger one back.  Deal with it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Has there been a decision that a president has ignored?  Worcester v. Georgia which concerned Indian removal is often cited, but that was actually a state action that was voided.  Jackson then initiated independent action to relocate the Indians.

Sections
Shortcuts