The Oscar for best government lapdog crony capitalist goes to....Hollywood !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

The Oscar for best government lapdog crony capitalist goes to....Hollywood !

Remember when Hollywood considered itself brave enough to take on the Government in power? Oscar recipients berating the President for the high unemployment rate..ah, those were the days.. 

Now, this industry is a lapdog corporate crony, getting huge tax breaks from the crooked Party in power...toeing the Party line, doing its duty for the Democratic party.

Zero Dark Thirty wins no awards...not politically correct.

Dinesh D’Souza’s documentary “2016: Obama’s America”, a hit at the box office, earning $33.4 million, the fourth highest grossing documentary of all time. Not even nominated in its category...

Usual Oscar ceremony jokes about the "Christian Right".

Billionaire Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, huge coporate bundler for Obama reelection campaign, pulls strings to bring Michelle Obama on to prattle on endlessly about something or other...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Re: The Oscar for best government lapdog crony capitalist goes to....Hollywood !

your obsession with CLC is kinda creepy......

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Re: The Oscar for best government lapdog crony capitalist goes to....Hollywood !

Wait a minute, didn't wingnuts like Raygun, Eastwood, Heston, Norris etc come out of the so called librul Hollywood meatgrinder?

I guess if you hate Hollywood, you must hate these guys to.

oops

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

I didn't think it was appropriate to have Michelle as a presenter. 

Why not?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Remember when Hollywood considered itself brave enough to take on the Government in power?

No, not really. They're there to sell movies.

Vanessa Redgrave, Sean Penn, Michael Moore, Marlon Brando, Babs Striesand, Dustin Hoffman . . .

But to be honest, they were all santimonious BS that we can live without forever.

Hold on a sec, though.

Individual actors vs. Hollywood-as-institution.

But yeah, I don't pay attention to actors' politics, activities, or anything they do other than in a movie I want to watch... 

You are so right.  I thought when Barbara Bush and Laura Bush gave out awards in prior years, that was overly political, and showed that Hollywood, as an isntitution, is politically agnostic.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Why not?

Same reason I wouldn't have wanted to see Laura Bush up there during Bush's term. I don't need politics in my face 24/7. 

Doesn't matter the party, I hate it just as much when an actor/actress uses their acceptance speech to spout off on an agenda. Save it for another time and place.

Laura Bush was featured in an Oscars broadcast, but not as a presenter.

I don't watch awards shows any more, but it seems that if there IS such a time and place, that might be it.

It also begs the question of whether one can rightfully view any FLOTUS as an inherently political figure.  If one believes, as I do, that part of her job is to be a booster for the U.S. in general, then what's wrong with appealing to a broad audience like the Oscars (if invited)?

I don't like Nascar, but I wouldn't begrudge a FLOTUS from addressing the fans (if invited).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

I don't need politics in my face 24/7.

I didn't watch. Did she do or say anything political?

She's not an elected official. She's allowed to do things, provided they are legal.

I guess just her presence was political...  She was surrounded by military types which was an odd combination for an arts connection unless they were rooting for Zero Dark Thirty.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Didn't watch, walking dead was on.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Why not?

Same reason I wouldn't have wanted to see Laura Bush up there during Bush's term. I don't need politics in my face 24/7. 

Doesn't matter the party, I hate it just as much when an actor/actress uses their acceptance speech to spout off on an agenda. Save it for another time and place.

I don't watch awards shows any more, but it seems that if there IS such a time and place, that might be it.

It also begs the question of whether one can rightfully view any FLOTUS as an inherently political figure.  If one believes, as I do, that part of her job is to be a booster for the U.S. in general, then what's wrong with appealing to a broad audience like the Oscars (if invited)?

I don't like Nascar, but I wouldn't begrudge a FLOTUS from addressing the fans (if invited).

Laura Bushwas not "featured".  She was in a video short that included Willie brown, Jerry Brown, Wavy Gravy, and other notable liberals.

You make it sound like she gave a personal message to the gathered hollywood minions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

“They reminded us that we can overcome any obstacle if we dig deep enough and fight hard enough and find the courage within ourselves.” Michelle Obama

(read between the lines....upcoming sequester)

Yeah...a platitude like that is just so...controversial.

(Hint: she's talking about movies.)

But to an ideologue, everything is a triple-coded message.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

You make it sound like she gave a personal message to the gathered hollywood minions.

That's quite the leap in logic from the one sentence I posted above, but whatevs.

For some people, everything is politically motivated, I guess.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Do you keep your head wrapped in foil so that the cosmic irony beams don't make it explode?

Anyway, when are the crony capitalists of Hollywood going to start paying their fair share of taxes?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sunday-reflection-repeal-the-hollywood-tax-cuts/article/2503964

Repeal the Hollywood Tax Cuts!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sshore123. Show sshore123's posts

Biggets problem was it automatically elimanted 2 films before she ran through the nominees - it was obvious the WH had to be told that neither Django Unchained or Zero Dark Thirty won, could you see this WH presenting either film with the Oscar?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

That's quite the leap in logic from the one sentence I posted above, but whatevs.

Donnie Duetch, a hard left guy, AND OBama supporter, does not share your difficulty in discering my point:

"When asked by Morgan if the first lady should have been included, Deutsch said, “absolutely not.” His main argument hinged on the notion that Obama was essentially an unwelcome political intrusion. At an event that focuses exclusively upon entertainment and film, he argued that she added an unneeded political dynamic to the evening.

“As far as I’m concerned, she was an uninvited guest,” Deutsch said. “Now what I mean by that is, you have to give the consumer, the viewer, the ultimate respect. They have tuned in to watch movie stars, to watch movies. And all of a sudden, politics is thrown at them.”

He went on to say that the tone was also unpalatable. Describing himself as a Democrat in an effort to showcase that his views aren’t rooted in political bias against the first lady, Deutsch said that Obama’s brief speech had a “monarch quality” and an “elitist flavor to it.”

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Donnie Duetch, a hard left guy, AND OBama supporter, does not share your difficulty in discering my point:

"When asked by Morgan if the first lady should have been included, Deutsch said, “absolutely not.” His main argument hinged on the notion that Obama was essentially an unwelcome political intrusion. At an event that focuses exclusively upon entertainment and film, he argued that she added an unneeded political dynamic to the evening.

“As far as I’m concerned, she was an uninvited guest,” Deutsch said. “Now what I mean by that is, you have to give the consumer, the viewer, the ultimate respect. They have tuned in to watch movie stars, to watch movies. And all of a sudden, politics is thrown at them.”

He went on to say that the tone was also unpalatable. Describing himself as a Democrat in an effort to showcase that his views aren’t rooted in political bias against the first lady, Deutsch said that Obama’s brief speech had a “monarch quality” and an “elitist flavor to it.”

She was an uninvited guest?  Did her husband threaten a drone strike if she did not appear?  That might explain all the uniforms with her at the time of her talk.

But I do agree her presence was a bit of a distraction.  And yet, there is so many more important things to talk about...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Do you keep your head wrapped in foil so that the cosmic irony beams don't make it explode?

Anyway, when are the crony capitalists of Hollywood going to start paying their fair share of taxes?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sunday-reflection-repeal-the-hollywood-tax-cuts/article/2503964

Repeal the Hollywood Tax Cuts!!!

Your sarcasm detector is on the blink again.

Most taxes for film production are extended at the state level...including here in Mass. where both of Affleck's previous films were made...

...but forgive us Americans for thinking tax cuts are the same as public support for the arts, which is nearly nonexistent in this country.

My only problem with Hollywood is that they intentionally crowd out smaller, more original films at the expense of big budget swill.  Capitalism at work.