The President is scrambling for a deal...........as approval tumbles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

The President is scrambling for a deal...........as approval tumbles

The President is scrambling for a deal...........

Obama job approval tumbles

By DONOVAN SLACK |

3/4/13 5:02 PM EST

President Obama's job approval rating took a hit over the weekend, falling to its lowest level in the Gallup three-day average since his reelection.

His approval rating was 46 percent between Feb 29 and March 2, down from 53 percent a week earlier.

The drop comes after Obama and Congress failed to reach a last-minute deal and automatic sequester cuts kicked in across the government on Friday.

His disapproval rating also jumped to its highest level since November, hitting 46 percent over the weekend, up from 40 percent a week earlier.

Gallup surveys roughly 1,500 adults across the nation each day and records the average ratings over three days. The margin of error is +/- 3 percentage points.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: The President is scrambling for a deal...........as approval tumbles

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

Of course the fact that he was scrambling for a deal before this poll was taken shouldn't have any bearing on your inane title....

No I don't think he was scrambling for a deal before Friday; he thought their would be no blame on him as the WH had worked the PR machine to blame it on the GOP.

Maybe now POTUS is ready for a discussion resulting in a concensus.  If POTUS hadn't drawn such a hard line in the sand he would have had a leadership opportuity and his approval rating would be going up.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Do you actually look at the news airborne or do you make up the news for the day in your head?

Negative Obama Post, Airborne is here to silence the opposition!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

RCP has Congress' approval rating at less than 15%.

Seems like POTUS still has the greater opinion of the people....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Give 'em H E double hockey sticks Barack !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Congress down 3 points from 18, Obama fell 7 pts over the weekend.........there goes that mandate he's below 50%, now in Romney territroy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Of course the fact that he was scrambling for a deal before this poll was taken shouldn't have any bearing on your inane title....

No I don't think he was scrambling for a deal before Friday; he thought their would be no blame on him as the WH had worked the PR machine to blame it on the GOP.

Maybe now POTUS is ready for a discussion resulting in a concensus.  If POTUS hadn't drawn such a hard line in the sand he would have had a leadership opportuity and his approval rating would be going up.

WOW, you really do just make stuff up in your head as you go don't you.

You're going to post that Obama has made no effort to avoid the sequester before Friday?

That is your position?

Yes.

I see a big failure to lead, because he apparently thought his divide and conquer strategy would win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I see a big failure to lead.

Of course you do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I hate to admit it, but Obama's chances of winning another term look pretty dim.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Comparing the 535 members of congress approval ratings to the approval rating of the lone POTUS is not indicative of anything except that most people think the govt as a whole is FUBAR!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Obama does not want a deal. 

He will move the goal posts left on an immigration deal to squelch it, and will never agree to real entitlement cuts. Same as always.

Obama wants to flip the House Democrat in 2014. That is his sole goal, to divide the country and destroy the GOP. He will raise what it takes from his crooked union and corporate cronies, and campaign full time with his hateful class warfare rhetoric.

He wants to destroy bipartisanship in order to save it. 

Even the liberal Washington Post cant deny it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/stymied-by-a-gop-house-obama-looks-ahead-to-2014-to-cement-his-legacy/2013/03/02/5f6f8b94-827d-11e2-a350-49866afab584_story.html

"Obama, fresh off his November reelection, began almost at once executing plans to win back the House in 2014, which he and his advisers believe will be crucial to the outcome of his second term and to his legacy as president. He is doing so by trying to articulate for the American electorate his own feelings — an exasperation with an opposition party."

The goal is to flip the Republican-held House back to Democratic control, allowing Obama to push forward with a progressive agenda on gun control, immigration, climate change and the economy during his final two years in office, according to congressional Democrats, strategists and others familiar with Obama’s thinking.

[Because four years of the progressive agenda on the private sector economy hasnt quite destroyed it yet.]

"Obama has committed to eight fundraisers for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee this year, compared with just two events in 2009. "

Two former Obama White House officials used the same word — “hubris” — to describe what they viewed as the administration’s highly public and sometimes misleading turn against congressional Republicans in the days heading into the sequester."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I see a big failure to lead.

Of course you do.

You don't?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Br'er Crankup ...... yada yada yada ........ you are just an anti dem ite !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Hey sister, the 90s called , looking for their threadworn cliches...

Seinfeld said "anti dent ite", not "anti dem ite" !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Hey sister, the 90s called , looking for their threadworn cliches...

Seinfeld said "anti dent ite", not "anti dem ite" !

Well the jerk store called and they are running out of you !

btw I'm not really calling you a jerk .... just having a little Seinfeld fun .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

You're going to post that Obama has made no effort to avoid the sequester before Friday?

That is your position?

It would be mine, and it would be yours, if you were honest. 

Trying to destroy the Republican Party does not qualify as trying to make an honest effort to fix the issues with the sequester.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Congress is in trouble for sure, but that is about the weakest defenspossible to.

Obama badly misread Howe to play the sequester, and it is hurting him in the polls.  I think he will bounce back, though.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

That is your position?

Trying to destroy the Republican Party does not qualify as trying to make an honest effort to fix the issues with the sequester.

The republican party is doing a fine job of destroying itself without any help. Just listen to any mainstream republican and they will tell you the same thing. 

Obama is going to take a hit with his own party on the sequester thing..but lets be honest. These cuts are relatively small in the grand scheme of things. I am still not sure why the self proclaimed right is not overjoyed about the cuts. After all..this is what we've been hearing since Obama took office.  I am still waiting for Skeeter's list of cuts that he would make. I was under the impression that he thought he could do better.

By the way..did anyone else laugh at the news report this morning that Washington was shut down because of the snow? Both hubbie and I laughed at that. His comment..? "Washington has been shut down for some time. At least they can't do any harm today."...this coming from a dyed in the wool republican..lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Ah now the cring wolf concerns come out while Wall Street endorses the sequester or cutting the deficit without tax increases with record numbers at the end of the day.  Did the WH messaging team blow it by only listening in their own echo chamber like they ddi on the Stimulus and ACA.  More political capitial down the toilet.   Now Dems worry: Did President Obama cry wolf?

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/white-house-recalibrates-sequester-messaging-88484.html

Obama and his team have pulled back from their initial strategy.

By GLENN THRUSH and CARRIE BUDOFF BROWN | 3/6/13 4:36 AM EST

President Barack Obama hopes to spark a pitchfork revolt against Republicans over sequester-induced budget cuts but many Democrats fret that he's undermined that effort with an early strategy marred by hype, poor planning and muddled messaging.

The stakes in the sequester debate aren't quite as high as they were during the debt ceiling battle of 2011, but Democratic veterans of the Obama-Republican wars of 2009 and 2010 are getting a creepy sense of déjà vu from a White House messaging shop they believe fumbled the rollouts of the stimulus and health care initiatives.

Over the past few days, Obama and his team have pulled back from a kick-off strategy that portrayed the $84 billion in automatic cuts this year as a parade of instant horrors — hellish waits at airports, a quick cascade of private job losses resulting from voided federal contracts, teachers immediately sacked.

That's part of a recalibration, according to one Obama insider, intended to take the focus off the veracity of the administration's claims and back on congressional Republicans who have refused to give ground on new tax revenue demanded by Obama as a condition of any long-term budget deal.

"I think they probably went over the top in terms of saying that the consequences were going to be horrible, especially because its happened and the lines in the airports arent long, the world hasn’t changed overnight," says former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, an on-again, off-again Obama critic who supports the broad outlines of Obama’s $4 trillion “grand bargain” proposal.

Obama’s team likes to cite polls showing three-quarters of respondents backing his hybrid of cuts and tax hikes, and they tout the president’s solid personal approval ratings, still in the 50s despite recent signs of slippage.

But the long-term impact of the fight remains ambiguous. A CBS poll released on Monday found that 38 percent of those polled blame the sequester stalemate on congressional Republicans. But 33 percent blame Obama, a gap wide enough to preserve the president's public standing, but probably not big enough to create the tidal wave of public opinion needed to drive the GOP back to the bargaining table.

One senior Republican aide joked that Obama's hope that constituents will force congressional conservatives to act is doomed because "our approval rating is already like 8 percent on a good day. He's going to drive it down to 6? Big deal."

Oh just one more tib bit..........as reported in Politico

WH is canceling tours to save on Secret Service furloghs,.............really wouldn't one consider the Secret Service an essential service and not part of the sequester.  I'm sure the WH securtiy are always there, but now a golf outing must add an inordinate amount of agents in the field.  Obama should learn to live like most americans when the budget is tight, they give up the luxuries like golf, but the still have the family come by the house.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

"Failure to lead...."

Isn't it obvious? You can't lead a country and continue a full time political campaign at the same time.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

That is your position?

The republican party is doing a fine job of destroying itself without any help. Just listen to any mainstream republican and they will tell you the same thing. 

Obama is going to take a hit with his own party on the sequester thing..but lets be honest. These cuts are relatively small in the grand scheme of things. I am still not sure why the self proclaimed right is not overjoyed about the cuts. After all..this is what we've been hearing since Obama took office.  I am still waiting for Skeeter's list of cuts that he would make. I was under the impression that he thought he could do better.

By the way..did anyone else laugh at the news report this morning that Washington was shut down because of the snow? Both hubbie and I laughed at that. His comment..? "Washington has been shut down for some time. At least they can't do any harm today."...this coming from a dyed in the wool republican..lol

Generally a good post.  However, it is not my responsibility to determine cuts, it is Obama's, and to some extent the Senate and the House.

But, I can do better.Here are some things that I would cut, immediately, if not sooner.

The entire Education department.

would cut social security and medicare, medicaid, but in stages.

(funny, seems like Obama is suggesting the same thing behind closed doors).

I would cut Obamacare.  Zero fund it out of the gate.

Cut the IRS agents hired to enforce Obamacare.

Eliminate all foreign aid.

Eliminate head start, a proven failure.

Eliminate all federally funded welfare.

Eliminate food stamps.

Cut everything that smacks of corporate welfare.

Eliminate all senate and congressional upticks for chairmen.

Limit senate and congressional staff spending to 5 times the median income of their district/state.

Eliminate all agriculture spending that pays farmers not to grow crops.

Eliminate all ethanol subsidies.

Eliminate all alternative energy subsidies.

That's just off the top of my head.  Given a budget, I would line item it down to about 50% of the current budget based on constitutionality and priorities.

And, after all that, there is one more thing I would cut:  taxes.  I would cut taxes and level the playing field.  Everyone pays taxes at approximately the same rate.  kill progressive taxation before it kills us.