The Real Numbers: Half of America in Poverty -- and It's Creeping Upward

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: The Real Numbers: Half of America in Poverty -- and It's Creeping Upward

This video puts it in perspective better than any I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImYourDaddy. Show ImYourDaddy's posts

Meet the Millionaire Next Door

These people cannot be millionaires! They don't look like millionaires, they don't dress like millionaires, they don't eat like millionaires, they don't act like millionaires--they don't even have millionaire names. Where are the millionaires who look like millionaires?

The person who said this was a vice president of a trust department. He made these comments following a focus group interview and dinner that we hosted for ten first-generation millionaires. His view of millionaires is shared by most people who are not wealthy. They think millionaires own expensive clothes, watches, and other status artifacts. We have found this is not the case.

As a matter of fact, our trust officer friend spends significantly more for his suits than the typical American millionaire. He also wears a $5,000 watch. We know from our surveys that the majority of millionaires never spent even one-tenth of $5,000 for a watch. Our friend also drives a current-model imported luxury car. Most millionaires are not driving this year's model. Only a minority drive a foreign motor vehicle. An even smaller minority drive foreign luxury cars. Our trust officer leases, while only a minority of millionaires ever lease their motor vehicles.

But ask the typical American adult this question: Who looks more like a millionaire? Would it be our friend, the trust officer, or one of the people who participated in our interview? We would wager that most people by a wide margin would pick the trust officer. But looks can be deceiving.

Most of America's millionaires are first-generation rich. How is it possible for people from modest backgrounds to become millionaires in one generation? Why is it that so many people with similar socioeconomic backgrounds never accumulate even modest amounts of wealth?

Most people who become millionaires have confidence in their own abilities. They do not spend time worrying about whether or not their parents were wealthy. They do not believe that one must be born wealthy. Conversely, people of modest backgrounds who believe that only the wealthy produce millionaires are predetermined to remain non-affluent. Have you always thought that most millionaires are born with silver spoons in their mouths? If so, consider the following facts that our research uncovered about American millionaires:

* Only 19 percent receive any income or wealth of any kind from a trust fund or an estate.

* Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth.

* More than half never received as much as $1 in inheritance.

* Fewer than 25 percent ever received "an act of kindness" of $10,000 or more from their parents, grandparents, or other relatives.

* Ninety-one percent never received, as a gift, as much as $1 of the ownership of a family business.

* Nearly half never received any college tuition from their parents or other relatives.

* Fewer than 10 percent believe they will ever receive an inheritance in the future.

America continues to hold great prospects for those who wish to accumulate wealth in one generation. In fact, America has always been a land of opportunity for those who believe in the fluid nature of our nation's social system and economy.

More than one hundred years ago the same was true. In The American Economy, Stanley Lebergott reviews a study conducted in 1892 of the 4,047 American millionaires. He reports that 84 percent "were nouveau riche, having reached the top without the benefit of inherited wealth."

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImYourDaddy. Show ImYourDaddy's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to ImYourDaddy's comment:

Meet the Millionaire Next Door

These people cannot be millionaires! They don't look like millionaires, they don't dress like millionaires, they don't eat like millionaires, they don't act like millionaires--they don't even have millionaire names. Where are the millionaires who look like millionaires?

The person who said this was a vice president of a trust department. He made these comments following a focus group interview and dinner that we hosted for ten first-generation millionaires. His view of millionaires is shared by most people who are not wealthy. They think millionaires own expensive clothes, watches, and other status artifacts. We have found this is not the case.

As a matter of fact, our trust officer friend spends significantly more for his suits than the typical American millionaire. He also wears a $5,000 watch. We know from our surveys that the majority of millionaires never spent even one-tenth of $5,000 for a watch. Our friend also drives a current-model imported luxury car. Most millionaires are not driving this year's model. Only a minority drive a foreign motor vehicle. An even smaller minority drive foreign luxury cars. Our trust officer leases, while only a minority of millionaires ever lease their motor vehicles.

But ask the typical American adult this question: Who looks more like a millionaire? Would it be our friend, the trust officer, or one of the people who participated in our interview? We would wager that most people by a wide margin would pick the trust officer. But looks can be deceiving.

Most of America's millionaires are first-generation rich. How is it possible for people from modest backgrounds to become millionaires in one generation? Why is it that so many people with similar socioeconomic backgrounds never accumulate even modest amounts of wealth?

Most people who become millionaires have confidence in their own abilities. They do not spend time worrying about whether or not their parents were wealthy. They do not believe that one must be born wealthy. Conversely, people of modest backgrounds who believe that only the wealthy produce millionaires are predetermined to remain non-affluent. Have you always thought that most millionaires are born with silver spoons in their mouths? If so, consider the following facts that our research uncovered about American millionaires:

* Only 19 percent receive any income or wealth of any kind from a trust fund or an estate.

* Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth.

* More than half never received as much as $1 in inheritance.

* Fewer than 25 percent ever received "an act of kindness" of $10,000 or more from their parents, grandparents, or other relatives.

* Ninety-one percent never received, as a gift, as much as $1 of the ownership of a family business.

* Nearly half never received any college tuition from their parents or other relatives.

* Fewer than 10 percent believe they will ever receive an inheritance in the future.

America continues to hold great prospects for those who wish to accumulate wealth in one generation. In fact, America has always been a land of opportunity for those who believe in the fluid nature of our nation's social system and economy.

More than one hundred years ago the same was true. In The American Economy, Stanley Lebergott reviews a study conducted in 1892 of the 4,047 American millionaires. He reports that 84 percent "were nouveau riche, having reached the top without the benefit of inherited wealth."

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html

ok, so if you have a quality job with good pay and you live frugally and below your means then over time you will save up enough $ to call yourself a millionaire.... now what does any of this have to do with the OP? 

do you have information that condradicts the information provided or are you just quote mining from books you've never read to fullfill some type of agenda? 

It means in america , you choose to be rich or poor

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

The Census Bureau has reported that 15% of Americans live in poverty. A shocking figure. But it’s actually much worse. Inequality is spreading like a shadowy disease through our country, infecting more and more households, and leaving a shrinking number of financially secure families to maintain the charade of prosperity.

1. Almost half of Americans had NO assets in 2009

Analysis of  Economic Policy Institute data shows that Mitt Romney’s famous  47 percent, the alleged ‘takers,’ have taken nothing. Their debt exceeded their assets in 2009.

Maybe they shouldn't live beyond their means

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have never made it my goal to be a millionaire.

This is what is wrong with our society , too much emphasis is placed on superficial sh#t, expensive car, 84" HDTV, 24 room house , membership at the country or yacht club.

I have a nice house in a quiet neighborhood ( which will be be compltely paid for in less than 3 years or so), a good job ( not high-paying but decent) , a wonderful , beautiful lady to share it with, I am in excellent health for a mid-50s male. I wear a 7 dollar watch that I  I got from Target on sale ( it's a quartz, so it keeps perfect time). I drive a 15 year old car that runs well, and gets me where I need to go.

I do not feel "poor" , although somebody's facts and figures may say I am living closer to the poverty line than I think I am.

Should I be miserable , that I am not a millionaire and will never be one?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That's a steaming crock of manure right there.

Kudos.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I do not feel "poor" , although somebody's facts and figures may say I am living closer to the poverty line than I think I am.

Should I be miserable , that I am not a millionaire and will never be one?

According to some of these tools, yes.

Don't you know it's all your fault that you're not independently wealthy?  How dare you call yourself a hard-working american...!  If only you'd worked harder and fellated a few more people in suits, you could be an elitist jag-off with more money than sense, too...!

//sarc off//

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Kudos.

Why? Was it not a choice of the single mother to have unprotected sex and end up getting knocked up? Is it not a choice when one drops out of high school because they think they're too cool for school? Is it not a choice to not get an education, whether it's college or a trade?

My dad worked two jobs for 32 years. There are people who don't want to work one fri99in job. So sorry if I don't have sympathy for people who are poor because of choices THEY made.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Kudos.

Why? Was it not a choice of the single mother to have unprotected sex and end up getting knocked up? Is it not a choice when one drops out of high school because they think they're too cool for school? Is it not a choice to not get an education, whether it's college or a trade?

My dad worked two jobs for 32 years. There are people who don't want to work one fri99in job. So sorry if I don't have sympathy for people who are poor because of choices THEY made.

Don't get upset.

Yes, SOME people's choices may end up dictating their net lifetime wealth.  For others, there is simply no choice.

The numbers bear this out.   If it was that simplistic, a whole lot more people would be "rich" than the relatively miniscule slice of people who are.  Sometimes, people are just lucky or well-timed.

Think about the average joe on the street...often, I wonder how some of these specimens find their way home at the end of the day.  Heck, some of them don't.

I can't speak to your sympathy gene....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Kudos.

Don't get upset.

Yes, SOME people's choices may end up dictating their net lifetime wealth.  For others, there is simply no choice.

The numbers bear this out.   If it was that simplistic, a whole lot more people would be "rich" than the relatively miniscule slice of people who are.  Sometimes, people are just lucky or well-timed.

Think about the average joe on the street...often, I wonder how some of these specimens find their way home at the end of the day.  Heck, some of them don't.

I never said anything about being "rich". Just talking about not being poor. You do realize there's a whole scale in between poor and rich right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Kudos.

Don't get upset.

I never said anything about being "rich". Just talking about not being poor. You do realize there's a whole scale in between poor and rich right?

Moving goalposts again, eh?  While defending another's inanity, no less...

The quote was: "It means in america , you choose to be rich or poor"

That statement is still a load of crappe despite your weak dissembling and empathy deficit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Kudos.

Don't get upset.

That statement is still a load of crappe despite your weak dissembling and empathy deficit.

And I focused on the poor part. Sorry I didn't follow your rules. Next time just tell me what I should say. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Kudos.

Don't get upset.

And I focused on the poor part. Sorry I didn't follow your rules. Next time just tell me what I should say. 

Heh.  

I didn't make up the rules of how to debate.  I just try to follow them.

Qualifiers are your friends.  Maybe if you wrote more clearly, you wouldn't have these problems trying to be understood.

(Half-apologies do not help your cause, either.)

Have a great weekend.  Seek shade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Kudos.

Don't get upset.

Heh.  

Qualifiers are your friends.  Maybe if you wrote more clearly, you wouldn't have these problems trying to be understood.

Hahaha...nice spin. You must be dizzy. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Kudos.

Don't get upset.

Heh.  

Don't hate on me because you suK at this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Don't you know it's all your fault that you're not independently wealthy?  How dare you call yourself a hard-working american...!  If only you'd worked harder and fellated a few more people in suits, you could be an elitist jag-off with more money than sense, too...!

//sarc off//

you are a sick individual.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Kudos.

Well..sometimes things happen. Besides..part of the reason that single mom then goes on to live in poverty is that the "father"..who by the way also made a choice to have unprotected sex takes no responsibility. So..before you go and blame women ..and especially single moms for their "bad choices"..make sure that you understand it takes two to tango.

With regards to your second statement...I grew up in a house where my gram worked two jobs and my uncle worked two jobs...just to get by and to make sure I could go to Catholic school. They instilled that work ethic in me. There have been times over the past few years that I have worked a second job. In fact..at the moment I currently have three separate income sources going..but by choice, not necessity. Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with living beyond your means. Sometimes it has to do with rising cost of living. Several years ago for me..it was either work a second job or move to a state with a lower cost of living. I wasn't willing to uproot my son at the time.

It's easy to generalize and blame people for their "situations"..but one serious illness or on run of bad luck and any one of us could be living in a financial precipice. The reality is that as the cost of living continues to rise and overall wages continue to drop..there are going to be more and more people struggling to make ends meet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Kudos.

Well..sometimes things happen. Besides..part of the reason that single mom then goes on to live in poverty is that the "father"..who by the way also made a choice to have unprotected sex takes no responsibility. So..before you go and blame women ..and especially single moms for their "bad choices"..make sure that you understand it takes two to tango.

With regards to your second statement...I grew up in a house where my gram worked two jobs and my uncle worked two jobs...just to get by and to make sure I could go to Catholic school. They instilled that work ethic in me. There have been times over the past few years that I have worked a second job. In fact..at the moment I currently have three separate income sources going..but by choice, not necessity. Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with living beyond your means. Sometimes it has to do with rising cost of living. Several years ago for me..it was either work a second job or move to a state with a lower cost of living. I wasn't willing to uproot my son at the time.

It's easy to generalize and blame people for their "situations"..but one serious illness or on run of bad luck and any one of us could be living in a financial precipice. The reality is that as the cost of living continues to rise and overall wages continue to drop..there are going to be more and more people struggling to make ends meet.

My dad never finished high school because of choices he made. However, instead of accepting his lot in life and working dead end jobs he joined the fire dept and then learned a trade as a draftsman. Then later learned carpentry. He never stopped learning sand never stopped busting his a55 for 32 years working two jobs to give his family a better life.

i know firsthand what hard work and busting ones a55 can accomplish. The key part is being willing to work hard. You're a perfect example. You busted your a55 to keep you son here. You should be applauded for that. Hope you're very proud of yourself. No doubt your son is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Kudos.

Don't get upset.

Heh.  

Don't hate on me because you suK at this.

Hahaha....now now, no need to get all pi55y. Hope you are able to enjoy the beautiful weekend.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts