The RIght to End Life- Ballot Question #2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The RIght to End Life- Ballot Question #2

Voters in Massachusetts will be presented with a different kind of question with regards to life and choice. Massachusetts voters will be asked if they believe that a person suffering from a terminal illness has "right to die"..in this case a right to die with dignity and as a choice.

If this law were to pass..then a physician would be able to prescribe medication to a patient that is specifically intended to end that persons life. A sort of assisted suicide that harkens back to the Kevorkian days.

Years ago, I would have been wholeheartedly opposed to this bill..but experiences over the last few years have somewhat changed my view. Today..in reading the text of the bill, I am satisfied that there are enough safeguards in effect to protect against abuse.

As much as I believe in the sanctity of life..I need to remain consistent in my position that people have a right to control what happens to their body.

The entire bill..as well as the summaries and the arguments can be found here.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/ele12/ballot_questions_12/quest_2.htm

What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: The RIght to End Life- Ballot Question #2

With safeguards in place; I support this law. As someone deserves the option to say when enough is enough and die with a shred of dignity.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Definitely voting "NO" on this.

It is a short ride from government allowing this to government dictating this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sshore123. Show sshore123's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Government allowing this...interesting take from someone with "conservative" principals that you'd see it being an instance where the govt would allow someone to take their own life.  This question is all about keeping govt off ones back.  Not allowing one to do what they see fit to do with their own life, and in the process not infringing on anyone else's, is the ultimate case of nanny statism.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I am definitely voting for this.

This is only for people who are too sick and disabled to do it in some other way. There are safeguards. Even if there weren't, I have a hard time seeing any real risk that people who aren't terminally ill will commit suicide where they wouldn't have otherwise. It takes even less effort to go get a bottle of tylenol PM than it would to go through the process of getting this from a doctor/hospital. So that takes care of one of the main counter-arguments I've heard.

I see absolutely no reason - and I think it morally reprehensible - to force someone to suffer for a few extra weeks or months if they don't want to. Hence, I have always thought it particularly vile for people to say to a dying person: Your life is sacred according to me, so I will do everything I can to stop you from ending your suffering now. For me, that takes care of the other main counter-argument I've heard.

I reject any argument coming out of organized religion, so that's not a concern for me.

Add on top my own additional reason: The absence of laws such as this simply leads spouses and children to send themselves to jail for the rest of their lives, in order to help someone out of their misery. That, or needless suffering.

Great argument for a "yes" vote. I hadn't thought about the family members who face consequences for helping their family members.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to sshore123's comment:

Government allowing this...interesting take from someone with "conservative" principals that you'd see it being an instance where the govt would allow someone to take their own life.  This question is all about keeping govt off ones back.  Not allowing one to do what they see fit to do with their own life, and in the process not infringing on anyone else's, is the ultimate case of nanny statism.

I think Skeeter is entitled to his opinion..I just wish he based them in reality.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

I thought you supported individual rights free from government intervention...  Oh. I forgot, you don't if they conflict with your personal religious point of view.  Then it is O.K. to have government control your actions.  Thanks for the reminder of your hypocrisy.  "The government allows"...so... the government gives you rights...so... the government has the power...so... the individual doesn't. That is a short ride of logic based on your view.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

You are truly crazy.  

You don't want to allow doctors to prescribe a lethal dose of a drug to someone in extreme pain, with no hope of recovery, because it might lead to forced euthanasia.  You don't to let people end their suffering a couple of days early because of your fear of the government.

Do yourself a favor and put on your favorite aluminum lined hat and get yourself down to Macleans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:

Of course the opposite of this holds true - that if  you want to extend your life regardless of the circumstances and the cost, you should be allowed to do so as long as you pay for it either out of pocket or through insurance. 

Insurance has caps..so basically what you are saying is that only people rich enough to afford it should have the ability to extend their life?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Yes vote from me.

I knew a Death with Dignity guy who did himself in when he entered the early stages of Alzheimers. He did not want his family to suffer nor did he want to lose all memory of them.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If you've ever worked in healthcare and have observed the suffering that goes on with terminally ill patients that can no longer articulate what they want regarding treatment, you'll have no problem voting YES.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

I am undecided. You all make some good points but should anyone have the right to play God? It goes against everything the Catholic Church teaches.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

I am undecided. You all make some good points but should anyone have the right to play God? It goes against everything the Catholic Church teaches.

Have you ever witnessed a loved one suffering dying from cancer? Fcuk the catholic church. 

In fact, I have. It doesn't change my faith. Sorry.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

Have you ever witnessed a loved one suffering dying from cancer? Fcuk the catholic church. 

In fact, I have. It doesn't change my faith. Sorry.

It's not about faith.  It's about imposing your beliefs on other people.  Why can't people be allowed to make their own decisions?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts