The unemployment rate is just a lagging indicator

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileybennyhill. Show smileybennyhill's posts

The unemployment rate is just a lagging indicator

In this case it's been lagging for some time now.

http://www.businessweek.com/ne...-last-week.html
    Initial Jobless Claims in U.S. Unexpectedly Climbed

Quote:
    Initial jobless applications increased to 480,000 in the week ended Jan. 30, the most in seven weeks, from 472,000 the prior week, Labor Department figures showed today in Washington. The number of people receiving unemployment insurance was little changed and those receiving extended benefits increased.

An unemployment rate that’s projected to average 10 percent this year will likely weigh on consumer spending, preventing the biggest part of the economy from accelerating. Without additional gains in sales, companies will be forced to keep cutting costs, limiting staff in order to boost profits.

“Businesses are simply postponing their hiring for as long as possible,” Richard DeKaser, chief economist at Woodley Park Research in Washington, said before the report. “The willingness to hire is not there.”

And the stock market today is reflecting that news dropping by 215 pts per the last update I heard.

But I am confused here. I thought that massive stimulus package from last March was creating and saving jobs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

Re: The unemployment rate is just a lagging indicator

And the stock market today is reflecting that news dropping by 215 pts per the last update I heard.

But I am confused here. I thought that massive stimulus package from last March was creating and saving jobs?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey fknutz the market was down today because Europe is in the same boat we're in,
    to some degree even worse. If there was no stimulus you'd be looking at unemployment north of 25%......but you'd probably enjoy that

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

Do you guys read?

Do you trade???

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wraughn. Show wraughn's posts

Unemployment figures are only counted by the # of people collecting benefits.  The ones whose benefits ran out a year or 6 months ago aren'y even counted.  Those people disappeared off the radar.  It's estimated more like 20% already.

Is this the fault of bankers?  Goverment?  lazy workers?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 12angrymen. Show 12angrymen's posts

I reckon we'll be hearing this a lot.  When the Dow was at 14000, Bush had nothing to do with it.  When it was in the 7's, it was all his fault
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg weren't you the one to challenge the idea that presidents weren't involved, correct? So if the facts show that the dems were in charge of congress when the DOW hit it's highest point were also in charge when it hit a modest low but they are also in charge when this recent recovery hits a new high since 2006. So you're all for market recovery under the dems, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Ding!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileybennyhill. Show smileybennyhill's posts

Just to bring up the news of the day wrt to unemployment, the rate dropped to 9.7% in January.

Something does not add up there. That is a pretty huge drop in the rate and in a month that generally does not do all that well b/c of temp workers not being employed following Christmas.

Spokespersons say it is b/c people found jobs. I would like to know what kind of jobs? F/T? P/T? Govt (and i bet that is where you will see a big increase)?

I am going to guess a revision at some point will occur. Case in point how they revised the number of jobs lost since 2007 from 7.2 million to 8.4 million. It's just hard for govt to be real accurate with numbers in a short term time frame