There Are Now More Americans In Jail Than There Were In Stalin's Gulag Archipelago Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-americans-in-jail-2012-3#ixzz2VBJDcLjH

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Surprisingly, I agree with you. No jail for simple possession makes sense.

-

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

In fact, I think that most non-violent criminals should be let out and punished in other ways. I'm sure we could come up with creative ways for these people to pay their debts to society.

-

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Sorry guys I couldn't resist

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

i just posted this pic in teh bruins forum about 20 minutes ago... 

Here we go Bruins here we go ..... I go to that forum and be a pain in the in @$$ ! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

There are now more Americans in jail -- 6 million -- than there were in Stalin's Gulag, reports Fareed Zakaria, in a column called "Incarceration Nation."

And it's not just a relative population thing.

The U.S. has 760 prisoners per 100,000 citizens.

How does that compare to other countries?

It's 7X-10X as high:

• Japan has 63 per 100,000,
    • Germany has 90 per 100,000
    • France has 96 per 100,000
    • South Korea has 97 per 100,000
    • ­Britain has 153 per 100,000

And it's also a relatively new phenomenon: In 1980, the U.S. only had 150 prisoners per 100,000 citizens.

What's to blame?

The "War on Drugs."

More than half of America's 6 million prisoners are in jail for drug convictions, with 80% of those in jail for "possession."

By the way, has the "war on drugs" worked?

Um, no.

There are still drugs everywhere.

So, maybe it's time we stopped throwing people in the slammer for possessing them.

So because drugs are everywhere THAT is a reason to not lock up those caught with drugs? That's some strange logic.

I'm all for legalizing pot, but the ease of getting drugs should not be a reason to not enforce current laws. I mean hey, people still drink and drive everwhere, so I guess it's time we stop enforcing DUI's right? I'm just going off your logic

Read Fareed Zakaria's column here >

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-americans-in-jail-2012-3#ixzz2VBJDcLjH

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Here we go Bruins here we go ..... I go to that forum and be a pain in the in @$$ ! 

And that's different than how you are in these forums? : ) haha...couldn't resist.

Great pic by the way!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

And that's different than how you are in these forums? : ) haha...couldn't resist.

Great pic by the way!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Great pic by the way!

Funny how when you do it you get a pass from WDYWN and Airborne...wonder why that is? : )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Another factor is the uniquely American response to crime that increased steadily for years, but accelerated with the crack epidemic to crisis levels.  We saw minimum sentencing guidlines enacted all over the country, punishments that varied for possession of crack versus powder cocaine, and policy wonks seriously discussing the rise of the super criminal.  We spent more money on cops, building new jails, and elected every swinging d*ck who promised to get tough on crime.  But since the early 90's crime has been decreasing across all categories but local, state, and federal officials aren't undoing much of the legislative work that made people "feel" safe but did very little to deter crime and so people are being locked up for simple offenses, the war on drugs is still largely regarded as a law and order issue versus the public health issue that it is, and in the meatime we are creating a new class of americans, imprisoned, disenfranchised, who upon release are subject to the "prison industrial complex" and have no good place to go or proven ways to be reintegrated into society.  If jail were about rehabilitation and not strictly punishment, our prison population would be mush smaller. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

There are now more Americans in jail -- 6 million -- than there were in Stalin's Gulag, reports Fareed Zakaria, in a column called "Incarceration Nation."

And it's not just a relative population thing.

The U.S. has 760 prisoners per 100,000 citizens.

How does that compare to other countries?

It's 7X-10X as high:

• Japan has 63 per 100,000,
    • Germany has 90 per 100,000
    • France has 96 per 100,000
    • South Korea has 97 per 100,000
    • ­Britain has 153 per 100,000

And it's also a relatively new phenomenon: In 1980, the U.S. only had 150 prisoners per 100,000 citizens.

What's to blame?

The "War on Drugs."

More than half of America's 6 million prisoners are in jail for drug convictions, with 80% of those in jail for "possession."

By the way, has the "war on drugs" worked?

Um, no.

There are still drugs everywhere.

So, maybe it's time we stopped throwing people in the slammer for possessing them.

So because drugs are everywhere THAT is a reason to not lock up those caught with drugs? That's some strange logic.

I'm all for legalizing pot, but the ease of getting drugs should not be a reason to not enforce current laws. I mean hey, people still drink and drive everwhere, so I guess it's time we stop enforcing DUI's right? I'm just going off your logic

Read Fareed Zakaria's column here >

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-americans-in-jail-2012-3#ixzz2VBJDcLjH

possessing and/or doing drugs in your own home and on your own time is a victimless crime.

So isn't possessing and drinking in your own home...but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

drinking and driving puts other people at risk of injury or death. so, like drinking and driving, doing other drugs and driving would and should still be a crime. 

No sh!t. You really are master of the obvious

the article says nothing about making it legal to put other people's lives in jeopardy. so, no, you're not going by the articles logic. you're using flawed logic.

Huh? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"If jail were about rehabilitation and not strictly punishment, our prison population would be much smaller."
    What a pantload. Liberal Damien has to ruin a thread where all were agreed.

Decriminalize marijuana, we all agree. Alcohol causes more societal problems. The War on Drugs is a failure.
    However, the reason so many are in jail is simple: because they deliberately flouted the law.
    Rehabilitation? To quote the great Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption, rehabilitation is a "made up word."

Society has deteriorated over the past few decades. More use of marijuana and other drugs is not a good thing.
    Breaking news: Crackhead gangbangers and drug kingpins are not going to be model citizens if drugs are legalized.
    More breaking news: the jails aren't filled with "good kids" who smoked a joint.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

However, the reason so many are in jail is simple: because they deliberately flouted the law.
    Rehabilitation? To quote the great Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption, rehabilitation is a "made up word."

Society has deteriorated over the past few decades. More use of marijuana and other drugs is not a good thing.
    Breaking news: Crackhead gangbangers and drug kingpins are not going to be model citizens if drugs are legalized.
    More breaking news: the jails aren't filled with "good kids" who smoked a joint.

You can't pretend that the sentencing for drug crimes is any way fair or in proportion with the nature of the crimes.  The draconian attitudes of some state and local justice systems unfairly targets simple, recreational drug use (and their communities) with the same aplomb as the most hardened criminals.  (All while ignoring it in the burbs.)

And to suggest that ALL of the people in prison in the U.S. should be in there flies directly in the face of the point of the thread.  If legalized, there will only be legal drug 'kingpins'.

(Btw, the Shawshank reference indicts the prison/penal system, not the inmates, thus contradicting your point.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

dupe

Sections
Shortcuts