There Are Now More Americans In Jail Than There Were In Stalin's Gulag Archipelago Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-americans-in-jail-2012-3#ixzz2VBJDcLjH

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I definitely do not agree with prison time for possession of small amounts of any drug.

I do agree with prison time if convicted of trafficing or distribution of narcotics.

Comparing our prisons to gulags is like comparing the Motel 6 in Phoenix Arizona to the Bellagio Resort in Las Vegas!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

does the motel 6 in phoenix arizona get more or as many guests as the bellagio resort in las vegas? it was a comparison of numbers, nothing more.

Yes and you cannot honestly compare gulags to any prison system without considering the abuse and conditions at gulags!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There are now more Americans in jail -- 6 million -- than there were in Stalin's Gulag, reports Fareed Zakaria, in a column called "Incarceration Nation."

And it's not just a relative population thing.

The U.S. has 760 prisoners per 100,000 citizens.

How does that compare to other countries?

It's 7X-10X as high:

• Japan has 63 per 100,000,
    • Germany has 90 per 100,000
    • France has 96 per 100,000
    • South Korea has 97 per 100,000
    • ­Britain has 153 per 100,000

And it's also a relatively new phenomenon: In 1980, the U.S. only had 150 prisoners per 100,000 citizens.

What's to blame?

The "War on Drugs."

More than half of America's 6 million prisoners are in jail for drug convictions, with 80% of those in jail for "possession."

By the way, has the "war on drugs" worked?

Um, no.

There are still drugs everywhere.

So, maybe it's time we stopped throwing people in the slammer for possessing them.

So because drugs are everywhere THAT is a reason to not lock up those caught with drugs? That's some strange logic.

I'm all for legalizing pot, but the ease of getting drugs should not be a reason to not enforce current laws. I mean hey, people still drink and drive everwhere, so I guess it's time we stop enforcing DUI's right? I'm just going off your logic

Read Fareed Zakaria's column here >

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-americans-in-jail-2012-3#ixzz2VBJDcLjH

[/QUOTE]

possessing and/or doing drugs in your own home and on your own time is a victimless crime.

So isn't possessing and drinking in your own home...but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

drinking and driving puts other people at risk of injury or death. so, like drinking and driving, doing other drugs and driving would and should still be a crime. 

No sh!t. You really are master of the obvious

the article says nothing about making it legal to put other people's lives in jeopardy. so, no, you're not going by the articles logic. you're using flawed logic.

Huh? 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you made a stupid analogy and now you're complaining that i'm stating the obvious when i explain why your argument is flawed. 

hello, brick wall.

[/QUOTE]

You obviously didn't get my analogy...oh we'll. Next?!

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

None of it makes sense. Punishing dealers doesn't make sense. Paramilitary operations and spraying crops in Latin America doesn't make sense.

None of it makes sense. Why? If you keep doing the same thing you've been doing for 100 years, and it still doesn't work, you might just be ______________.

If you think drugs are evil, you should still agree that the War on Drugs should be stopped. It doesn't work. Argue for doing something else, if you want to fight drug use. But what we're doing simply doesn't work - whether you're talking about killing Escobar or jailing someone for having 1/4 gram crack.

[/QUOTE]

Well if, your paradigm was to eradicate drug use etc from the USA then it failed.

I actually think it slowed supply to drive prices to a point where it wasnt as readily available or attractive.

I also think harsh prison sentences may have caused some, but not all obviously to change their life.

Was it a complete success NO

Was it a complete waste NO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There are now more Americans in jail -- 6 million -- than there were in Stalin's Gulag, reports Fareed Zakaria, in a column called "Incarceration Nation."

It's 7X-10X as high:

And it's also a relatively new phenomenon: In 1980, the U.S. only had 150 prisoners per 100,000 citizens.

What's to blame?

The "War on Drugs."

More than half of America's 6 million prisoners are in jail for drug convictions, with 80% of those in jail for "possession."

Um, no.

So, maybe it's time we stopped throwing people in the slammer for possessing them.

So because drugs are everywhere THAT is a reason to not lock up those caught with drugs? That's some strange logic.

I'm all for legalizing pot, but the ease of getting drugs should not be a reason to not enforce current laws. I mean hey, people still drink and drive everwhere, so I guess it's time we stop enforcing DUI's right? I'm just going off your logic

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-americans-in-jail-2012-3#ixzz2VBJDcLjH

[/QUOTE]

possessing and/or doing drugs in your own home and on your own time is a victimless crime.

So isn't possessing and drinking in your own home...but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

drinking and driving puts other people at risk of injury or death. so, like drinking and driving, doing other drugs and driving would and should still be a crime. 

No sh!t. You really are master of the obvious

the article says nothing about making it legal to put other people's lives in jeopardy. so, no, you're not going by the articles logic. you're using flawed logic.

Huh? 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you made a stupid analogy and now you're complaining that i'm stating the obvious when i explain why your argument is flawed. 

hello, brick wall.

[/QUOTE]

You obviously didn't get my analogy...oh we'll. Next?!

[/QUOTE]

oh i got it. but as i said, it was bad. you can try again if you want. 

the article never mentioned legalizing the operation of motor vehicles while impared by drugs or alcohol. your analogy was a non sequitur. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow....WHOOSH...

I'll go slow this time. You made the claim that because drugs are everywhere that we shouldn't bother enforcing current laws. So I said we'll ok, since drunk driving is everywhere should we just not bothering enforcing that law too? 

The point is you can't decide which laws should or shouldn't be enforced. They all should. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

Well if, your paradigm was to eradicate drug use etc from the USA then it failed.

I actually think it slowed supply to drive prices to a point where it wasnt as readily available or attractive.

I also think harsh prison sentences may have caused some, but not all obviously to change their life.

Was it a complete success NO

Was it a complete waste NO

No...it did nothing of the sort.  The same drugs are just as cheap and just as available. 

Whether harsh sentences deter crime of any kind is an open question that remains unanswered.  The only discernable benefit has been to pharma and private prison firms.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

dupe

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Whether harsh sentences deter crime of any kind is an open question that remains unanswered.  The only discernable benefit has been to pharma and private prison firms.

Whether "rehabilitation" prevents crime is a closed question that is answered. The answer is NO.

The only discernable benefit is to hire  thousands of useless public sector counselors and social workers at taxpayer expense. Commit a crime, get your counselor telling you it isnt your fault, you poor thing, it is society's fault.

Harsh sentences deter crime by definition. The dirtballs are in jail,  so they can't commit violent crimes against the public.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

ok, so you're going to continue to beat a straw man. i never made any claims, i posted a link to a article written by someone else. 

can you show everyone where i made the claim that "because drugs are everywhere that we shouldn't bother enforcing current laws."?

either way, that doesn't change the fact that your analogy is horrible. i don't expect you to understand why.

From the OP:

"There are still drugs everywhere.

So, maybe it's time we stopped throwing people in the slammer for possessing them."

That was easy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ok, so you're going to continue to beat a straw man. i never made any claims, i posted a link to a article written by someone else. 

can you show everyone where i made the claim that "because drugs are everywhere that we shouldn't bother enforcing current laws."?

either way, that doesn't change the fact that your analogy is horrible. i don't expect you to understand why.

From the OP:

So, maybe it's time we stopped throwing people in the slammer for possessing them."

That was easy!

[/QUOTE]

now if only it was so easy for you to understand that those aren't my words and the context that they were used in has no relation to drinking and driving... but i don't expect you to "get it". 

you've derailed long enough now. buh bye!

[/QUOTE]

You posted the words. Oh and I never said they had anything to do with drinking and driving. My god....I had higher hopes for you. Guess I was wrong. Yikes.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

From the OP:

That was easy!

[/QUOTE]

now if only it was so easy for you to understand that those aren't my words and the context that they were used in has no relation to drinking and driving... but i don't expect you to "get it". 

[/QUOTE]

You posted the words. Oh and I never said they had anything to do with drinking and driving. My god....I had higher hopes for you. Guess I was wrong. Yikes.

[/QUOTE]

you're still derailing. you made a bad analogy.. end of story. move on.

[/QUOTE]

And you're back pedaling. End of story. Carry on

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImYourDaddy. Show ImYourDaddy's posts

It's 7X-10X as high:

What's to blame?

The "War on Drugs."

Um, no.

Let see there are 760 prisoners per 100,000

7600 per  1 million

760,000 per 100 million

There are 6 millions americans in jail ???

US population is around 800 million ... who knew?

some one is stretching the truth

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

From the OP:

That was easy!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you're still derailing. you made a bad analogy.. end of story. move on.

[/QUOTE]

And you're back pedaling. End of story. Carry on

[/QUOTE]

i posted an article and provided a link to the source. i never offered my personal opinion. you incorrectly attributed the thoughts of the article to me. then you made an illogical analogy and i simply pointed out how off base you were... buy bye!

[/QUOTE]

Oh...so you don't agree with what was stated in the article? Do you often post articles that you disagree with? Yeah...that's what I thought. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts