These conservatives are mature

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: These conservatives are mature

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

FWIW, I much prefer using charcoal when grilling even though I know it's worse for the environment than propane.  The food tastes better, and the ashes are good for compost.  (I don't use lighter fluid.)

But I don't set the grill underneath my neighbor's window while cooking with it, either.

Who does? Seems odd people would grill on someone else's property. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

FWIW, I much prefer using charcoal when grilling even though I know it's worse for the environment than propane.  The food tastes better, and the ashes are good for compost.  (I don't use lighter fluid.)

But I don't set the grill underneath my neighbor's window while cooking with it, either.

How do you not use lighter fluid when using charcoal? I'm kinda new to charcoal grilling ( used propane most of the time) but, i have  never heard of any charcoal briquettes that don't require lighter fluid in some form or fashion.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Would love to see the reaction of the neighbor's if you where to just set up shop and start grilling in their front yard. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

How do you not use lighter fluid when using charcoal? I'm kinda new to charcoal grilling ( used propane most of the time) but, i have  never heard of any charcoal briquettes that don't require lighter fluid in some form or fashion.  

Chimney starters. Paper is all you need.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I use a chimney starter.  It's quicker, helps ensure all the coals are glowing at the right temperature, and only uses a sheet or two of newsprint to get it going.  Also helpful if slow cooking over hours when you need to add coals to the fire.  Essential when using lump charcoal, which burns hotter and affects taste the least, IMO.

I never cared for match light charcoal which I find imparts a funky taste to meats and especially vegetables and fruits.

Charcoal has a fascinating anthropological history.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ergo, I'm not forcing someone else to ingest my indulgent charcoal fumes like said 'coal rollers'.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I can't be bothered with the longer process. My wife and I rented a place up at Acadia two summers ago and the place had a charcoal grill. What a pain in the a55. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to high-road's comment:

That's pretty cool...Never seen one of those before. It seems that getting one of those might cut down on the amount of charcoal i use, seeing that you don't have to wait for all of the charcoal to ash over. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I can't be bothered with the longer process. My wife and I rented a place up at Acadia two summers ago and the place had a charcoal grill. What a pain in the a55. 

It's worth the wait... Good food takes time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I use a chimney starter.  It's quicker, helps ensure all the coals are glowing at the right temperature, and only uses a sheet or two of newsprint to get it going.  Also helpful if slow cooking over hours when you need to add coals to the fire.  Essential when using lump charcoal, which burns hotter and affects taste the least, IMO.

I never cared for match light charcoal which I find imparts a funky taste to meats and especially vegetables and fruits.

Charcoal has a fascinating anthropological history.

Henry Ford hated waste and made charcoal briquettes with the scrap wood from the production of his model T's. And that's how Kingsford came to be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That's pretty cool...Never seen one of those before. It seems that getting one of those might cut down on the amount of charcoal i use, seeing that you don't have to wait for all of the charcoal to ash over. 

Well, I still wait for all of the coals to ash over, so there aren't cool spots.

But yes, it measures easier, generally half a chimney for a small fire (2-3 people), and it's ready in less than 15 minutes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

charcoal

a sheet or two of paper in the bottom, charcoal on top and a few minutes ... presto ... lit coals ready to be strategically placed into the grill.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I understand.  Many people feel the same way.

For me, it's more about flavor.

And the fact that my trusty weber kettle grill is going on 20 years old, and my little camping weber about 15 years old.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Well, I still wait for all of the coals to ash over, so there aren't cool spots.

But yes, it measures easier, generally half a chimney for a small fire (2-3 people), and it's ready in 15 minutes.

I Just googled chimney starter and looked at what came up. In the info i was looking at, it said not to wait for the top coals to ash over totally. But i'd rather listen to someone who has expeirance with it than some webpage.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

And the fact that my trusty weber kettle grill is going on 20 years old, and my little camping weber about 15 years old.

Good luck trying to get that many years out of a gas grill. The 300 dollar gas grill i have now is 2 years old and the heat shields on to of the burners are almost completely toast. Which means in a year or so the burners will rust out and go. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

But yes, it measures easier, generally half a chimney for a small fire (2-3 people), and it's ready in 15 minutes.

I Just googled chimney starter and looked at what came up. In the info i was looking at, it said not to wait for the top coals to ash over totally. But i'd rather listen to someone who has expeirance with it than some webpage.

Either way is probably fine.  Point being is that - unlike with the traditional 'pyramid' setup - you don't have those wasted half-burned coals on the edges.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

It's worth the wait... Good food takes time.

That's what quality food and correct seasoning should take care of. The food we cooked over charcoal didn't taste much different than our gas grill. But to each his/her own I say. Enjoy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:

You need the time to start the charcoal up and to keep an eye on it as it cools when you're done. The temperature is mostly determined by how much charcoal you use in the first place, etc.

I don't mind occasionally cooking on a charcoal grill if the situation presents itself, but overall I prefer the convenience of a gas grill and ease of temperature control.  On my gas grill, I know precisely how long to cook a steak depending on its type and width for the guest's (or my) preference. And, I can easily change temperature if I'm cooking different things for a lot of people.

Practice makes perfect, obviously, but I simply find charcoal too burdensome for the frequency with which I like to grill...

What I really want is a smoker, for babyback ribs.

We grill all year round, at least 3/4 times a week. Charcoal cooking would not be convenient for that reason alone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Good luck trying to get that many years out of a gas grill. The 300 dollar gas grill i have now is 2 years old and the heat shields on to of the burners are almost completely toast. Which means in a year or so the burners will rust out and go. 

For us buying a new gas grill every 5 to 7 years is worth it given we grill at least 200+ days a year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

I use both.  If the weather is pleasant and i'm not in a hurry i'll use the charcoal.  The flavor is worth the wait and hassle for me. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:

What I really want is a smoker, for babyback ribs.

Again fwiw, my smoker uses charcoal, too.  :)

Incidentally, I do also have a large, single propane burner, but I only use it for home brewing or turkey frying or, less frequently, lobster boils.

I'm all about fewer moving parts....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That's what quality food and correct seasoning should take care of. The food we cooked over charcoal didn't taste much different than our gas grill. But to each his/her own I say. Enjoy!

A fair point.  Taste is certainly highly subjective.

And in this world, convenience often wins out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

I have a hybrid gas/charcoal grill ... best of both worlds.

I don't use the smoker box to frequently because I live in downtown Boston and the smoke can get pretty thick off the box.

What I use to start coals is a chimney starter over the side burner. Take the grill off and it fits perfectly and cuts down on the time for the coals to catch and no paper ash blowing around.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

You can get the real charcoal and light it with paper. It really works, burns hotter.  You can get it for about seven dollars a bag at Whole Foods (behind enemy lines).

Sections
Shortcuts