This is why I'm not a Republican

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

This is why I'm not a Republican

One reason anyway: Lindsey Graham.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/lindsey-graham-isn-t-sure-if-bloggers-deserve-first-amendment-protection-20130605

Whether bloggers count as journalists has mostly been a matter of esoterics for reporter types. But as Congress weighs a media shield law in response to the Associated Press/Justice Department subpoena scandal, the question is gaining an urgency that lawmakers are finding hard to ignore as they turn to writing the bill.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., took on the issue—and stumbled.

"Who is a journalist is a question we need to ask ourselves," he said. "Is any blogger out there saying anything—do they deserve First Amendment protection? These are the issues of our times."

Every Congressman, Senator, and Administration official should immediately stop what they're doing and take a course in the Constitution. They should not be allowed back to their jobs until they pass the course with a B or better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: This is why I'm not a Republican

Not to defend Lindsey Graham, but I wonder if his comment is more about media shield laws than general first amendment rights, which obviously, all citizens enjoy.  It appears he was responding to a question directly related to media shield laws so I am guessing he simply misspoke. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/lindsey-graham-isn-t-sure-if-bloggers-deserve-first-amendment-protection-20130605

Whether bloggers count as journalists has mostly been a matter of esoterics for reporter types. But as Congress weighs a media shield law in response to the Associated Press/Justice Department subpoena scandal, the question is gaining an urgency that lawmakers are finding hard to ignore as they turn to writing the bill.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., took on the issue—and stumbled.

"Who is a journalist is a question we need to ask ourselves," he said. "Is any blogger out there saying anything—do they deserve First Amendment protection? These are the issues of our times."

Every Congressman, Senator, and Administration official should immediately stop what they're doing and take a course in the Constitution. They should not be allowed back to their jobs until they pass the course with a B or better.

That's fine, we don't need anyone like you on our side.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Is Lindsey Graham a Republican? Hard to tell sometimes.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Is Lindsey Graham a Republican? Hard to tell sometimes.

He is. He's part of the big government statist establishment Republican crew that continues to sell our civil rights in exchange for power. The worst kind of Republican.

-

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I used to love Lindsay Graham but the last few years he has changed. 

He's become too progressive for jackbu?

Now, that's interesting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to doozy-day's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Truth is, the Republican Party needs all it can get on its side, including conservative-leaning guys like Stalking Butler.

Is Lindsay Graham a Republican? Well, he is continually attacked by the liberal media, so he has that going for him.

Graham's comments on the First Amendment not applying to bloggers is sadly consistent with the McCain- Graham belief in "campaign finance reform" muzzling of free speech.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Truth is, the Republican Party needs all it can get on its side, including conservative-leaning guys like Stalking Butler.

Eh, call me a classical liberal then. I am opposed to all attempts to weaken our individual rights in favor of a more powerful govenment whether that be by Democrat or Republican. Sadly, the big "L" Libertarians are too scary crazy even for me or I'd join up with them.

-

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Not to defend Lindsey Graham, but I wonder if his comment is more about media shield laws than general first amendment rights, which obviously, all citizens enjoy.  It appears he was responding to a question directly related to media shield laws so I am guessing he simply misspoke. 

Possibly, but if so it's still a pretty big blunder. Isn't the idea behind media shield laws to grant protection from prosecution for passing on something a confidential source revealed (but shouldn't have)?

His language is pretty broad - "Is any blogger saying anything..."

ie, "saying" instead of "revealing secrets", etc.

I'm not going to edit the above, but I just went and read through the article. It seems he repeats the statements - as if he genuinely doesn't understand the difference between the first amendment protections and legisltation to protect people who report on secrets, nor does he understand what determines the scope of a first amendment right:

"You can sit in your mother's basement and chat away, I don't care. But when you start talking about classified prorams, that's when it gets to be important," he said during a Free Times interview. "So, if classified information is leaked out on a personal website or [by] some blogger, do they have the same First Amendment rights as somebody who gets paid [in] traditional journalism."

Status of the speaker simply does not determine the scope of one's speech rights. The content of the speech does, but ONLY in very limited 'clear and present danger' type circumstnaces. Time and place may also determine the scope of the rights - but that area of law has to do with things like marches in public streets, etc.

I think the issue he is speaking to, though it isn't clear from his comments, is that the federal government doesn't have a media shield law, therefore "reporter" is not defined anywhere.  I don't think it is appropriate that anyone with internet access and a blog should be able to claim media shield protection if they are sitting on information that could break a criminal investigation because I would liken that a witness to a crime not divulging what they saw and having to be compelled to do so.  So I think his confusion, and I am giving him the benefit of doubt here, is without a federal definition for reporter and news agency, etc, the distinction between average blogger and actual professional journalist isn't very clear and that ambiguity should be addressed especially since Obama has asked congress to revive a bill meant to implement a federal media shield law.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to doozy-day's comment:

Ah, sweet petulance...

That's certainly the message most women, young people, gays, minorities and immigrants are getting...

...loudly and clearly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Imagine every single blog being its own private-run newpaper...

...and the blogger his/her own publisher, editor, reporter, fact-checker, etc.

There are legal considerations for what constitutes all of the above for purposes of protecting both the rights of the press and right to privacy.

Sen. "Butters" (Graham) is right to ask these questions despite what the answers may end up being.

But if anyone thinks Butters is in any way at the root of internet privacy concerns in this country, they're barking up the wrong tree.

Sections
Shortcuts