Threatening to shut down government...again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Threatening to shut down government...again

There is yet another threat from tea partiers in the Republican Party who are determined to see the ACA go away for good..in spite of the fact that it was legally voted into law and has been upheld by the Supreme Court...in spite of the fact that..while not perfect...is better than what we had before.

This time..there are grumblings in the GOP about voting "no" to any spending bill which includes funding for the ACA. This..they believe..would essentially shut down the government and further damage the economy.

Although I feel that the Dems in the House and the Senate are not blameless in this mess we call Washington DC...I think the GOP needs to get its collective act together. Right now..if you took every democrat out of Washington we would still have gridlock. Why..? Because the GOP can't even come to consensus within its own party.

Even Paul Ryan..who largely rode into office on a Tea Party agenda is against the idea of holding the government hostage because they didn't like the outcome of a vote.

Republicans are still talking about repealing and replacing ACA. One thing we haven't heard though is what will they replace it with. What is the GOP platform regarding health care? What would they replace the ACA with? I haven't seen a single concrete plan from the GOP. Have you?

Also..I wonder if they have considered that this gridlock..and constant threats to shut down government do more to harm the economy than anything the Obama administration has done.

All I know..is we don't hear about the economy any more. Is that because the economy has improved? We don't see any jobs bills coming from the GOP...but we sure do see plenty of motions to repeal "obamacare"...and plenty of legislation regarding women's reproduction. No jobs bills though.

I have a philosophy that I live by..especially lately. Talk is cheap. I want to see actions. The GOP can talk all they want about jobs and the economy..but their actions speak much louder to their priorities.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Threatening to shut down government...again

Insane

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

..in spite of the fact that..while not perfect...is better than what we had before.

Conjecture your Honor. I move we strike that from the record.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Nothing is going to happen about shutting down the government. Just because a couple of people make some noise about it doesn't mean anything will happen. That talk will get shut down.

Funny how the usual complaint about the GOP voting in "lockstep" has all of the sudden changed to complaints about them disagreeing with one another.

You have no idea what kind of legisaltion is being proposed if you just listen to the media and talking heads. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

I understand that threatening to shut down the Government will be an excuse for the liberal media to attack the GOP, and elected Republicans are afraid of repercussions.
    However, the ACA, ObamaCare is massively unpopular, and Republicans trying to do something about it may well redound in their favor. When Gingrich threatened to shut down the Govt in the '90s, despite the prevailing wisdom of how bad it hurt the GOP, in the next election, the GOP kept both branches of Congress..

"We don't see any jobs bills coming from the GOP."

That is because a "jobs bill", as defined by the Left, involves more endless billions of wasted tax dollars we dont have, on boondoggles we dont need. Public sector jobs are added, not because they help the economy, but becuse they add to the Party of Government's base.

The stimulus failed. Kensyian economics failed. Government failed. Obama has failed. Enough is enough.

The best boost for the US economy during Obama's reign of statism, has come purely from the private sector; the shale energy revolution, a bottoms up technology
    boom which had nothing to do with Government "jobs bills".
    In fact, the Government zealots are trying to prevent it.
    Government isn't the solution, it is the problem.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

There is yet another threat from tea partiers in the Republican Party who are determined to see the ACA go away for good..in spite of the fact that it was legally voted into law and has been upheld by the Supreme Court...in spite of the fact that..while not perfect...is better than what we had before.

This time..there are grumblings in the GOP about voting "no" to any spending bill which includes funding for the ACA. This..they believe..would essentially shut down the government and further damage the economy.

Although I feel that the Dems in the House and the Senate are not blameless in this mess we call Washington DC...I think the GOP needs to get its collective act together. Right now..if you took every democrat out of Washington we would still have gridlock. Why..? Because the GOP can't even come to consensus within its own party.

Even Paul Ryan..who largely rode into office on a Tea Party agenda is against the idea of holding the government hostage because they didn't like the outcome of a vote.

Republicans are still talking about repealing and replacing ACA. One thing we haven't heard though is what will they replace it with. What is the GOP platform regarding health care? What would they replace the ACA with? I haven't seen a single concrete plan from the GOP. Have you?

Also..I wonder if they have considered that this gridlock..and constant threats to shut down government do more to harm the economy than anything the Obama administration has done.

All I know..is we don't hear about the economy any more. Is that because the economy has improved? We don't see any jobs bills coming from the GOP...but we sure do see plenty of motions to repeal "obamacare"...and plenty of legislation regarding women's reproduction. No jobs bills though.

I have a philosophy that I live by..especially lately. Talk is cheap. I want to see actions. The GOP can talk all they want about jobs and the economy..but their actions speak much louder to their priorities.

Kinda hard to have an honest discussion on this considering the press will jump to blame Republicans as soon as Obama gives the word.

after all, as Obama said last week, the press thinks he has great ideas. 

So much for the impartiality of the press.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

Nothing is going to happen about shutting down the government. Just because a couple of people make some noise about it doesn't mean anything will happen. That talk will get shut down.

Funny how the usual complaint about the GOP voting in "lockstep" has all of the sudden changed to complaints about them disagreeing with one another.

You have no idea what kind of legisaltion is being proposed if you just listen to the media and talking heads. 

The GOP has not voted in lockstep, they have not been a disciplined party since the Tea Pary rose to power around February 2009. 

The GOP has also been in disarray since its members began signing pledges to Grover Norquist, a man elected to nothing. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Congress has serious, pressing business before it, business that one would assume cannot wait.

And most of that business is connected in one way or another with the sequester...the automatic, across-the-board budget cuts Congress enacted in the confident belief they would never come to pass.

They did come to pass and are playing havoc with the budget process.

Yet what did our lawmakers decide to do to address the myriad serious problems we are currently facing? They took off Friday for a five-week vacation. The vacation schedule, by the way, is drawn up by House Republican leader Eric Cantor of Virginia.

One thing is for sure. The only time Congress moves quickly is for a recess getaway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

The GOP has not voted in lockstep, they have not been a disciplined party since the Tea Pary rose to power around February 2009. 

The GOP has also been in disarray since its members began signing pledges to Grover Norquist, a man elected to nothing. 

I am not making a judgement about how the GOP voted, just a comment about the complaints of leftwingers. Just google lockstep Republicans and you will see what I meam.

You complain about Grover Norquist being elected to nothing? Was the AFL-CIO electyed to anything? What about the Teachers Union? No? How about the Sierra Club?

Really, we all have a a right lobby for what we want. You seem to think only your ideas are worthwhile for lobbying and the rest should be muzzled. I guess you have to re-think your views on the right to free speech??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Congress has serious, pressing business before it, business that one would assume cannot wait.

And most of that business is connected in one way or another with the sequester...the automatic, across-the-board budget cuts Congress enacted in the confident belief they would never come to pass.

Yet what did our lawmakers decide to do to address the myriad serious problems we are currently facing? They took off Friday for a five-week vacation. The vacation schedule, by the way, is drawn up by House Republican leader Eric Cantor of Virginia.

One thing is for sure. The only time Congress moves quickly is for a recess getaway.

Sequestration. Obama's idea. He seems to be comfortable with executive orders. Why didn't he decide to restructure the across the board cuts with executive orders? COuld it be that if he did he would have lost a political issue?

Obama is out for himself and political power first, the rest of us come in fourth. Does he ever stop campaigning?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

[QUOTE]
    Sequestration. Obama's idea. He seems to be comfortable with executive orders. Why didn't he decide to restructure the across the board cuts with executive orders? COuld it be that if he did he would have lost a political issue?

Obama is out for himself and political power first, the rest of us come in fourth. Does he ever stop campaigning?

Ignorance of the law is not a compelling argument.

You should re-take basic civics, if you even had such a class in the past.

[/QUOTE]

Obama should take a civics class, not me.

Ignorance of reality seems to be your problem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

I am not making a judgement about how the GOP voted, just a comment about the complaints of leftwingers. Just google lockstep Republicans and you will see what I meam.

You complain about Grover Norquist being elected to nothing? Was the AFL-CIO electyed to anything? What about the Teachers Union? No? How about the Sierra Club?

Really, we all have a a right lobby for what we want. You seem to think only your ideas are worthwhile for lobbying and the rest should be muzzled. I guess you have to re-think your views on the right to free speech??

Members of Congress and people wishing to become members of Congress have been taking a pledge to Grover Norquist to never ever raise taxes regardless of what they hear regarding anything.

The only pledge these people should be taking is to the the Constitution of the U.S. and to the citizens of America. You cannot serve two masters. This pledge to Norquist has been an abomination.

Nobody takes a pledge to the other groups you mentioned. Nobody. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sequestration was neither President Obama's idea nor an executive order Hansoribrother. Below is part of the legislative history of sequestration.

On August 2, 2011, President Obama signed the Budget Control Act of 2011 as part of an agreement with Congress to resolve the debt-ceiling crisis. The Act provided for a Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction (the "super committee") to produce legislation by late November that would decrease the deficit by $1.2 trillion over ten years. When the super committee failed to act,[8] another part of the BCA went into effect. This directed automatic across-the-board cuts (known as "sequestrations") split evenly between defense and domestic spending, beginning on January 2, 2013.

The sequestration became a major topic of the fiscal cliff debate. The debate's resolution, the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (ATRA), eliminated much of the tax side of the dispute but only delayed the budget sequestrations for two months, thus reducing the original $110 billion to be saved per fiscal year to $85 billion in 2013.[9]

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sequestration was neither President Obama's idea nor an executive order Hansoribrother. Below is part of the legislative history of sequestration.

On August 2, 2011, President Obama signed the Budget Control Act of 2011 as part of an agreement with Congress to resolve the debt-ceiling crisis. The Act provided for a Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction (the "super committee") to produce legislation by late November that would decrease the deficit by $1.2 trillion over ten years. When the super committee failed to act,[8] another part of the BCA went into effect. This directed automatic across-the-board cuts (known as "sequestrations") split evenly between defense and domestic spending, beginning on January 2, 2013.

The sequestration became a major topic of the fiscal cliff debate. The debate's resolution, the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (ATRA), eliminated much of the tax side of the dispute but only delayed the budget sequestrations for two months, thus reducing the original $110 billion to be saved per fiscal year to $85 billion in 2013.[9]

[/QUOTE]

Sequestration was Obama's idea, but the slobbering press for the most part is dutifully reporting that it was congresses idea.  Here is an exception, and the truth.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/obamas-fanciful-claim-

that-congress-proposed-the-sequester

/2012/10/25/8651dc6a-1eed-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_blog.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The link might be difficult to follow.  Here's the gist:

The Pinocchio Test

No one disputes the fact that no one wanted sequestration, or that ultimately a bipartisan vote in Congress led to passage of the Budget Control Act. But the president categorically said that sequestration was “something that Congress has proposed.”

Woodward’s detailed account of meetings during the crisis, clearly based on interviews with key participants and contemporaneous notes, make it clear that sequestration was a proposal advanced and promoted by the White House.

In sum: Gene Sperling brought up the idea of a sequester, while Jack Lew sold Harry Reid on the idea and then decided to use the Gramm-Hollings-Rudman language (which he knew from his days of working for Tip O’Neill) as a template for sequester. The proposal was so unusual for Republicans that staffers had to work through the night to understand it.

Oddly, Lew in Tampa on Thursday, publicly asserted the opposite: “There was an insistence on the part of Republicans in Congress for there to be some automatic trigger…. [It] was very much rooted in the Republican congressional insistence that there be an automatic measure at the end.”

This prompted Woodward to go over his notes and interviews once again, to make sure he had gotten it right.

“After reviewing all the interviews and the extensive material I have on this issue, it looks like President Obama told a whopper,” Woodward said.  “Based on what Jack Lew said in Florida today, I have asked the White House to correct the record.”

We had been wavering between Three and Four Pinocchios. But in light’s of Lew’s decision to doubledown on Obama’s claim, we agree it’s a whopper.

Four Pinocchios

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

The Pinocchio Test

No one disputes the fact that no one wanted sequestration, or that ultimately a bipartisan vote in Congress led to passage of the Budget Control Act. But the president categorically said that sequestration was “something that Congress has proposed.”

Woodward’s detailed account of meetings during the crisis, clearly based on interviews with key participants and contemporaneous notes, make it clear that sequestration was a proposal advanced and promoted by the White House.

In sum: Gene Sperling brought up the idea of a sequester, while Jack Lew sold Harry Reid on the idea and then decided to use the Gramm-Hollings-Rudman language (which he knew from his days of working for Tip O’Neill) as a template for sequester. The proposal was so unusual for Republicans that staffers had to work through the night to understand it.

Oddly, Lew in Tampa on Thursday, publicly asserted the opposite: “There was an insistence on the part of Republicans in Congress for there to be some automatic trigger…. [It] was very much rooted in the Republican congressional insistence that there be an automatic measure at the end.”

This prompted Woodward to go over his notes and interviews once again, to make sure he had gotten it right.

“After reviewing all the interviews and the extensive material I have on this issue, it looks like President Obama told a whopper,” Woodward said.  “Based on what Jack Lew said in Florida today, I have asked the White House to correct the record.”

We had been wavering between Three and Four Pinocchios. But in light’s of Lew’s decision to doubledown on Obama’s claim, we agree it’s a whopper.

Four Pinocchios

skeeter,

I get what you are saying. But the fact remains both Democrats and Republicans carried the ball on sequestration. They are responsible for sequestration...not Obama. 

Perhaps this is why only Woodward seems to have reported the story differently.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The modern GOP rationale is similar to that of the rejected lunatic boyfriend who doesn't understand why his girlfriend is rejecting him for someone sane, coherent and less controlling.

If the GOP can't have have America all to themselves and their warped view of reality, then no one can have America, and America get's strangled.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Pinocchio Test

Four Pinocchios

skeeter,

I get what you are saying. But the fact remains both Democrats and Republicans carried the ball on sequestration. They are responsible for sequestration...not Obama. 

Perhaps this is why only Woodward seems to have reported the story differently.

[/QUOTE]

Waffling! 

You tried to pin it on the republicans, and when s proven wrong, you tried to pin the origination on both, and then try to pin the responsibility on the republicans!

come on. You are better than trying to slip this deception by us.

25. This post has been removed.