Three wildly innovative and popular products being strangled by Government regulation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Three wildly innovative and popular products being strangled by Government regulation

http://time.com/#31828/the-government-is-a-hitman-uber-tesla-and-airbnb-are-in-its-crosshairs/

Especially in today’s sluggish economy, it’s more important than ever that market innovators win out over crony capitalists. Letting markets work to find new ways of delivering goods and services isn’t just better for customers in the short term, it’s the only way to unleash the innovation that ultimately propels long-term economic growth. After all, no country has ever regulated its way out of a recession....

If mobsters were pulling these sorts of stunts, we’d recognize the attacks on new ways of doing business for what they are: protection rackets, with state regulators rather than professional hitmen creating and enforcing rules to benefit well-connected businessmen. The real losers are not just the next generation of innovators but also customers who lose out on more ways of getting what they need or want. 

The battle between what historian Burton W. Folsom calls “market entrepreneurs” and “political entrepreneurs” is an old and ugly one, dating back to the earliest days of the American experiment. Market entrepreneurs make their money by offering customers a good or new service at a good or new price. Political entrepreneurs make their money the old-fashioned way: They use the government to rig markets and kneecap real and potential competitors....

The app-driven car service Uber, which bills itself as “everyone’s car service” and connects drivers and riders in minutes, presents a  threat to traditional taxi and ride services in the 30-plus U.S. cities in which it operates. Rather than fight for customers by cutting fares, increasing the number of cabs, or improving services, taxi commissioners and city councils from San Francisco to New York are instead trying to regulate Uber out of business on the grounds that it provides unfair and unsafe competition.....

Airbnb, a website that allows people to rent out everything from vacation homes to spare couches for short-term stays, works great for everyone but conventional hoteliers and cities trying to bilk travelers for tourist taxes. Operating in 192 countries and typically showing hundreds of thousands of offerings, Airbnb has faced stiff regulations in towns supposedly famous for their weirdness and openness to lifestyle experimentation, such as Austin, Texas (which charges hosts an annual licensing fee and limits the number of participants) and Portland, Oregon (which has banned the service in residential neighborhoods). In New York, rent-control advocates are teaming up with hospitality-industry heavyweights to try and shut down Airbnb and similar services....

Tesla has done the unthinkable not once but twice: First, it built an electric car that people actually want to buy despite a price tag north of $70,000 for its cheapest models. Second, it has the temerity to sell directly to its wealthy customers, rather than subjecting them to the ritualized hell that is known as auto dealerships. But because auto dealers account for as much as 20 percent of state sales taxes, their wishes often become legislators’ commands. At the top of their wish list? Don’t let carmakers sell directly to customers...

The Invisible Hand of free markets shouldn’t have to spend so much of its time slapping away the Dead Hand of political entrepreneurship....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Three wildly innovative and popular products being strangled by Government regulation

Crankup why don't you tell us what you think in your own words instead of cutting and pasting other people hard work ......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Three wildly innovative and popular products being strangled by Government regulation

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well I thought you'd have bolded the products, but when I saw you only bolded rant tidbits I didn't bother further reading.

[/QUOTE]

Bolded the products.....so you can respond with your usual on-point witty

'conservatives think Obama is a Muslim terrorist born in Kenya'  spiel...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

This is really the tip of the iceberg. Talk to a developer for all the nonsense they have to go through and the fees they have to pay before they even touch a shovel to the ground. Then we have to hear the same librul regulatory goons complain about a lack of "affordable housing".

Of course because I am for some sanity in the process that means I am ok with some developer bulldozing all the state forests in Massachusetts and building luxury condos on Cape Cod National Seashore. Plus if we could kill some wild life too that would be a bonus

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is really the tip of the iceberg. Talk to a developer for all the nonsense they have to go through and the fees they have to pay before they even touch a shovel to the ground. Then we have to hear the same librul regulatory goons complain about a lack of "affordable housing".

Of course because I am for some sanity in the process that means I am ok with some developer bulldozing all the state forests in Massachusetts and building luxury condos on Cape Cod National Seashore. Plus if we could kill some wild life too that would be a bonus

[/QUOTE]

Where would we be without our bureaucratic regulators in Washington DC? We owe our lives and everything good we have to these saints...otherwise we would be eating and drinking  poison, and living in caves....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

[QUOTE]Of course because I am for some sanity in the process that means I am ok with some developer bulldozing all the state forests in Massachusetts and building luxury condos on Cape Cod National Seashore. Plus if we could kill some wild life too that would be a bonus[/QUOTE]

Whoa, you mean to say we can develop AND be sane? You sir are a frikken genius.

Sections
Shortcuts