Through the looking glass: Gun permits for the blind

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: Through the looking glass: Gun permits for the blind

It sounds absurd and to the opposition there will be ample opportunity to make it look "short sighted" etc etc.

The truth is a blind person has a right to defend himself as well. It would certainly be in close qtrs or useless and being blind can allow other senses to become enhanced.

I think it is really not an issue due to very few blind people will take advantage and until there is an instance where a blind person makes a decision with their lack of vision in regards to using lethal force with a firearm there is no data to examine.

Use caution when estimating handicapped peoples abilities!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Blind people can find their way around places they already know quite well. In unfamiliar places, they need a dog and/or one of those sticks to get where they're going.

They don't have built-in sonar. People already miss most of the time when under the sort of stress one is under when it is necessary to use a gun. A blind person will be left merely trying to shoot in the direction of the sound perceived to be a threat!

They have a "right to defense themselves," you say. Does that trump everyone else's rights "not to get shot"?

I hope blind Iowans have Mr. Wonder's version of common sense....  

Stevie Wonder totalled a car driving one day.  True story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

You would think that the ability to be able to read and complete the permit application would be a pre-requisite for owning a gun.

Here we go...

Progressives picking on the disabled, AGAIN!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Come on this is just like Obama's drone policy.

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

you have to know where your bullet is going to go if you aim a gun......sorry blind people....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

One of the first lessons you will earn when getting trained on handling firearms is never point a gun at something you don't want to kill.  This is more difficult that it would seem given the number of accidental shootings we see nearly every week, and to that point I would ask how giving blind people access to firearms benefits them when the chance they might squeeze off a round at something or someone they didn't intend to shoot has to be pretty high in only because they may not even be able to see what the weapon is pointed at?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Blind people can find their way around places they already know quite well. In unfamiliar places, they need a dog and/or one of those sticks to get where they're going.

They don't have built-in sonar. People already miss most of the time when under the sort of stress one is under when it is necessary to use a gun. A blind person will be left merely trying to shoot in the direction of the sound perceived to be a threat!

They have a "right to defense themselves," you say. Does that trump everyone else's rights "not to get shot"?

I hope blind Iowans have Mr. Wonder's version of common sense....  

under estimation as expected.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I have no issue with ability to buy and keep a firearm in the home but disagree with carry permit in public. Blind/legally blind are amazing people with how they get around on a daily basis without being able to see. A blind person climbed Mt. Everest. A legally blind person set a world record at the 2012 London Olympic games for archery. According to The International Blind Sports Federation the blind and partially sighted participate in: Alpine Skiing, Goalball, Futsal (five-a-five side football), Judo, Biathlon, Swimming, Powerlifting, Shooting, Archery, Showdown, Ten-pin Bowling, Nine-pin Bowling, Nordic Skiing, and Cycling. I'm pretty sure a blind/legally blind person can handle a gun in their own home. But again, carry permit for public I feel is pushing it. That shouldn't be allowed.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

you have to know where your bullet is going to go if you aim a gun......sorry blind people....

almost all quick, defensive, close combat shots are not aimed!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Almost all shots in the category of "quick, defensive, close combat" are not aimed?

Huh?

Says who? When was it measured?

Are you aware of a survey of persons who defended themselves with firearms that showed that "almost all" of them made no attempt to aim the gun at the target? What did they do, then? Just close their eyes and squeezed the trigger hoping that maybe the gun would point itself in the right direction?

[/QUOTE]

I think he's trying to say that many people point the gun at said target versus taking aim, where one would line up the sights on said target. Whether this is true I have no idea

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Almost all shots in the category of "quick, defensive, close combat" are not aimed?

Huh?

Are you aware of a survey of persons who defended themselves with firearms that showed that "almost all" of them made no attempt to aim the gun at the target? What did they do, then? Just close their eyes and squeezed the trigger hoping that maybe the gun would point itself in the right direction? 

[QUOTE]

I am an experienced shootist and you don't typically aim a pistol any way. You point it as you would your finger and accuracy is obtained by practice practice practice at any distance.

If some one is on top of you trying to kill you do you think you aim or point and fire?

If someone is attacking you standing up do you aim or point and fire.

It's not rocket science, sir newton

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Huh?

[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't watch enogh movies.

Also, hold your pistol sideways, and hold up by your sholder.  It looks meaner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Know? Yes.

Care? Apparently not for the gun clingers....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

Know? Yes.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it's "gun clingers" as much as it's currently the law to NOT deny anyone the right to carry a weapon based on physical disability. Don't like the law change it. We can't pick and choose whom to discriminate against right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Know? Yes.

Not sure if it's "gun clingers" as much as it's currently the law to NOT deny anyone the right to carry a weapon based on physical disability. Don't like the law change it. We can't pick and choose whom to discriminate against right?

Sorry.  It's my glib euphemism for those 'enthusiasts' who would demand a fully armed citizenry to preserve our freedomz with little concern for the consequences.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]I am an experienced shootist and you don't typically aim a pistol any way. You point it as you would your finger and accuracy is obtained by practice practice practice at any distance

An experienced shootist?

Whatever a "shootist" is, I can tell off the bat you aren't one if you simply point your gun as you would point your finger without using the sights. Of course you use the sights if you are doing target practice!

[QUOTE]If some one is on top of you trying to kill you do you think you aim or point and fire?[/QUOTE]

Pointing and firing is"aiming", it's just not particularly good aiming. Obviously, if you are using a gun in self-defense you will aim as well as you are able given the time.

To be clear, I am using the English definition of "aim":

intransitive verb 1 : to direct a course; specifically : to point a weapon at an object

Also, is there a reason other than your obsession with making a saint of Zimmerman that you would focus on someone being "on top of you trying to kill you"?

Oh right. Duh. Because that's the one situation in which a blind person will have a good idea of where to point the gun.....       

You're cheating, in other words.

[QUOTE]It's not rocket science, sir newton[/QUOTE]

Says the experienced "shootist" who is too good for sights and the English language....    

[/QUOTE]

lol ok, I can't have a good battle of wits with you since you obviously have no weapon or ammo!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

A question for the experienced shootist: Would you have a better chance of stopping your attacker if you were firing a pistol in both hands?

lol

A pistol in each hand or 1 pistol with both hands?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The only time a blind person is going to have good confidence in where they're pointing the thing is in your hand-picked scenario where the bad guy is on top.

The rest of the time, they are at a significant disadvantage because the only clues they will have as to the threat's location is sound.

If the disadvantage you cite exists they should not draw their firearm!

That does not mean they should never be allowed to carry one!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Yeah, it kind of does.

Why do you worship guns?

I don't worship guns. I love and believe in freedom!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE] I love and believe in freedom!

People who feel the need to convince everyone else about what a superbig patriot they are usually aren't so much...   

[/QUOTE]

The word patriot doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Your opinion means even less.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A question for the experienced shootist: Would you have a better chance of stopping your attacker if you werw firing a pistol in both hands?

lol

A pistol in each hand or 1 pistol with both hands?

[/QUOTE]

English much?

"A pistol in each hand or 1 pistol with both hands?" That was the question to you.

Since you don't English much, I make answer you for!

A pistol in each hand, like not using the sights when you go target shooting, is a completely awful strategy because of human binocular vision. You physically cannot aim when holding a gun in each hand.

The best way to aim, Mr. Shootist, is with 1 pistol with both hands on it, one hand over the other, with your weaker eye closed and your stronger eye using the sights properly.

[/QUOTE]

Depends on your level of expertise.  I know several action shooters that use one hand.  Even then, they sometimes miss at 25 yards, the point being is that they train, and they still misss. The accuracy of a pistol at anything but close range is suspect in the hands of occasional users.

Therefore, I would think being blind is not that much of a deterent.

Besides, haven't you seen movies where blind ninga-types shootguns out of the ir attackers hands? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

That does not mean they should never be allowed to carry one!

Yeah, it kind of does.

Why do you worship guns?

People who cannot tell whether they are pointing their gun at their target should not have guns.

[/QUOTE]

As the law stands in Iowa it would be disrimination to deny guns to blind people. Those who want to discriminate need to change the law.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]Depends on your level of expertise.  I know several action shooters that use one hand.  Even then, they sometimes miss at 25 yards, the point being is that they train, and they still misss.

Regardless of expertise, you always get a more accurate shot bracing with two hands and using the sights.

[/QUOTE]

Depends on the situation.  Try running and shooting.  Unless you are running very slow, you can't do it holding the gun in two hands.

Here's my adivce:  If you see a blind man carrying a gun, don't try to rob him.

Sections
Shortcuts