Too bad Paula Deen isn't a Hollywood progressive like Alec Baldwin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Too bad Paula Deen isn't a Hollywood progressive like Alec Baldwin

Loudmouth progressive and potential NYC Mayoral candidate Alec Baldwin, on the streets of NYC last year, attacks a black reporter and calls him a  'crackhead' and 'coon'. Suffers zero consequences. Then recently he Twitters to a reporter:

"I’m going to find you, George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I’m gonna f--k…you…up”

If [sic] put my foot up your f--king as*, George Stark, but I’m sure you’d dig it too much?"

The liberal media's reaction to one of its own, a leftist Hollywood celebrity?

ABC: "Alec Baldwin is kind of a loveable rogue. We're kind of sensitized to the fact that Alec Baldwin’s had another outburst."

" Last night Baldwin apologized to the gay community saying, “The words had absolutely nothing to do with issues of anyone’s sexual orientation.” Baldwin’s wife is now speaking out on Twitter, defending her husband, saying some of her best friends are gay.

Yes, she really said that!

Capital One bank , crony capitalist recipient of a bailout of 3.5 billion in taxpayer dollars, keeps paying Baldwin millions for its commercials...

1980: Paula Deen, in her own home, uses the 'N' word, and admits such in a lawsuit 30 years later.. Loses millions for this transgression, businesses bail on her immediately. An old Southern white woman with a drawl, an Obama supporter, but obviously didnt contribute enough or show up at Hollywood parties...fair game for the race baiters..

Anderson Cooper at CNN to his credit has pointed out the absurdity of this..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: Too bad Paula Deen isn't a Hollywood progressive like Alec Baldwin

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Loudmouth progressive and potential NYC Mayoral candidate Alec Baldwin, on the streets of NYC last year, attacks a black reporter and calls him a  'crackhead' and 'coon'. Suffers zero consequences. Then recently he Twitters to a reporter:

"I’m going to find you, George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I’m gonna f--k…you…up”

If [sic] put my foot up your f--king as*, George Stark, but I’m sure you’d dig it too much?"

The liberal media's reaction to one of its own, a leftist Hollywood celebrity?

ABC: "Alec Baldwin is kind of a loveable rogue. We're kind of sensitized to the fact that Alec Baldwin’s had another outburst."

" Last night Baldwin apologized to the gay community saying, “The words had absolutely nothing to do with issues of anyone’s sexual orientation.” Baldwin’s wife is now speaking out on Twitter, defending her husband, saying some of her best friends are gay.

Yes, she really said that!

Capital One bank , crony capitalist recipient of a bailout of 3.5 billion in taxpayer dollars, keeps paying Baldwin millions for its commercials...

1980: Paula Deen, in her own home, uses the 'N' word, and admits such in a lawsuit 30 years later.. Loses millions for this transgression, businesses bail on her immediately. An old Southern white woman with a drawl, an Obama supporter, but obviously didnt contribute enough or show up at Hollywood parties...fair game for the race baiters..

Anderson Cooper at CNN to his credit has pointed out the absurdity of this..

CLC,

I saw the Twiiter feed of Baldwin's meltdown.

In the larger context it was about a reporter reporting that Baldwin's wife was using her cellphone at a private wake in NYC for James Gandophini.

Yes, he went off on that reporter in defense of his wife. Those of us who are married and/or have children know there are times we are like tigers when it comes to protecting our spouse and our children 

Using a cellphone at a private wake is very disrespectful no matter how you, CLC, feel about religion. Having it reported that your wife committed such a transgression would set a lot of husbands off. 

Capital One and the Food Network are private companies. They are going to do what is best for their corporate interest.

When it came out about the use of the N word, the Food Network finally decided Paula was not worth the backlash despite her apology tour. She could not get ahead of the story.

Capital One, as of now, is retaining Baldwin. If a backlash grows they may change their minds. But he seems to have gotton ahead of the story. Does not seem any major groups from the LGBT community have taken issue with this incident.

Assuming you are in favor of capitalism, this is it. Worked against Paula...worked for Baldwin.

This is not about what is right and wrong in the moral sense. This is about the bottom line. The Board of Directors have a fid. duty to their stockholders to do what is best for that bottom line...not a duty to do the "right" thing, even if we debated what the right thing is in each case. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't think this is a left-right thing.  I think it's more of a brand issue - fans of Paula Deen feel a personal connection to her, so thinking less of her hurts her brand.  Alec Baldwin's comments are something you could see his 30-rock character saying, so it's less damaging.  A better liberal comparison, I think, is Michael Richards - one racial tirade was pretty much the end for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Those of us who are married and/or have children know there are times we are like tigers when it comes to protecting our spouse and our children."

You defend Baldwin's numerous violent meltdowns? So when Letterman called Palin's 13 year old daughter a sl*t , if Sarah Palin called David Letterman a "queen" and threatened to beat the crap out of him, you would defend Palin? I doubt it.

"Does not seem any major groups from the LGBT community have taken issue with this incident."

Thanks for proving my point. "Major groups from the LGBT" are radical leftists.  They are not the be-all and end-all of judgment on this.

Bottom line: Progressives can get away with it. Double standard doesnt begin to describe this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Andrew Sullivan joined this discussion Friday writing, "He’s a pro-gay liberal, so he may get a pass for this. He shouldn’t"

Ah. but he will...

despite what Cooper or Sullivan said, GLAAD Vice President of Communications Rich Ferraro gave Baldwin his pass:

Alec Baldwin is making it clear that the intent behind his tweets does not excuse his language, especially at a time when there were 11 incidents of violence against gay men in New York City just last month. As we all work to end such senseless acts of violence, allies like Baldwin are right to use these moments to reinforce support for the community and LGBT equality.

And this is always what happens when a liberal says or does something offensive: well-crafted apology, and on his or her way.

Wouldn't it be nice if conservatives could so easily make amends for their transgressions?

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/06/29/andrew-sullivan-alec-baldwins-pro-gay-liberal-so-he-may-get-pass-gay#ixzz2XjvjeOSl

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

"Those of us who are married and/or have children know there are times we are like tigers when it comes to protecting our spouse and our children."

You defend Baldwin's numerous violent meltdowns? So when Letterman called Palin's 13 year old daughter a sl*t , if Sarah Palin called David Letterman a "queen" and threatened to beat the crap out of him, you would defend Palin? I doubt it.

"Does not seem any major groups from the LGBT community have taken issue with this incident."

Thanks for proving my point. "Major groups from the LGBT" are radical leftists.  They are not the be-all and end-all of judgment on this.

Bottom line: Progressives can get away with it. Double standard doesnt begin to describe this.

CLC,

I did not defend either celebrity's trangressions. 

First, I did not assume everyone knew the full context of Baldwin's Twitter meltdown. Since you did not I filled the picture in a bit. I thought it was important. You thought it was important to give a version of Deen's usage of the N word.

My post had one main point. It all comes down to the corporate bottom line in each case. I did not address who was more right,, who was more wrong. Said so at the end. 

Not defending either person. Deen, a real life steel magnolia, has been on her self pity tour for a long time. On the other hand, Baldwin got right on it and issued an apology. I added some context in how one can see red in that situation. Deen has been everywhere with her explanations.

This is not a matter of left versus right. This is a matter of money. Capitalism.

IMO, Deen needs to give the self-pity tour a rest. The damage to her very carefully built image is self-inflicted. Nobody threw a rock. This desperate search for approval and vindication just seems to be making it worse.

The question is not just whether Deen used an ugly, forbidden word, or how many times she used it, or how long ago that was. The question to me is whether there is anything about race and diversity in this country that Deen really understands.

I mentioned that the Food Network dropped her. However other companies have severed or suspended their business ties with her in recent days, including Smithfield Foods, Wal-Mart, Target, Caesars Entertainment and the Novo Nordisk pharmaceutical company. 

Maybe she will figure it all out. A period of silence would be a good start. 

In the deposition she gave last month in a lawsuit filed by a former employee, from which Deen's troubles stem, she stated she "did not mean anything derogatory.".

Well, she need not worry. IMO the only person she is derogating is herself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I agree with WDYWN. Anyone who has a problem with this should take it up with the companies who cut ties with her. FWIW...I think the reaction is over the top..considering the remarks were made in the distant past...and clearly...from her actions over the past few years...Deen has atoned for whatever racism she may have been guilty of in the past. I've said this before about others...look at the value of what the person's actions say about them. Look at the work she has done to combat poverty in the South. To me..that speaks more about the person she is today than some comments she made decades ago.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"The question to me is whether there is anything about race and diversity in this country that Deen really understands.."

What the heck does that mean?

It means if Deen was an avowed progressive , she would get a free pass. The Democratic Senate Majority Leader in the 2000s, Sen Robert Byrd, used the N word many times, even when a Senator, and certainly  when wearing his white sheet as a KKK leader, yet liberals forgave him and appointed him third in line for the Presidency....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

"The question to me is whether there is anything about race and diversity in this country that Deen really understands.."

What the heck does that mean?

It means if Deen was an avowed progressive , she would get a free pass. The Democratic Senate Majority Leader in the 2000s, Sen Robert Byrd, used the N word many times, even when a Senator, and certainly  when wearing his white sheet as a KKK leader, yet liberals forgave him and appointed him third in line for the Presidency....

CLC,

It means she is a 66 year old woman, not 96, who was all of 7 when the Supreme Court Court issued itd its Brown v. Board of Education decision. She has had plenty of time to get used to it. She has spent her adult life in an America where black people are not compelled to be subservient to white people. She has made a fortune in an America where most people, white as well as black, consider warrm-and-fuzzy nostalgia for the days of slavery and Jim Crow to be highly offensive.

How about this. For anyone who missed the last 50 years might understand. ALL black people are uppity now. 

If that does not cut the ice for you, I am in agreement with both WDYWN and cricket. If this bothers you so much, take it up with the multiple corporations, or "job creators",  that have cut or suspended ties with Deen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Hahahaha....guess it depends on which side you're on.....disgusting

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I agree with WDYWN. Anyone who has a problem with this should take it up with the companies who cut ties with her. FWIW...I think the reaction is over the top..considering the remarks were made in the distant past...and clearly...from her actions over the past few years...Deen has atoned for whatever racism she may have been guilty of in the past. I've said this before about others...look at the value of what the person's actions say about them. Look at the work she has done to combat poverty in the South. To me..that speaks more about the person she is today than some comments she made decades ago.

I largely agree.  You can't , however, completely dismiss the social environment, where people like Deen is pilloried, and people like Balwdwin largely gets a pass as they evolve.  Similar to the exhange between Reed and Madow on Face the Nation.  The key question:  Why does Obama and other Democrats get a pass on the gay marraige issue?  Both had very strong tranditional marriage postions, as recent as 14 months ago.  Was Obama a homophobe 14 months ago?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

I largely agree.  You can't , however, completely dismiss the social environment, where people like Deen is pilloried, and people like Balwdwin largely gets a pass as they evolve.  Similar to the exhange between Reed and Madow on Face the Nation.  The key question:  Why does Obama and other Democrats get a pass on the gay marraige issue?  Both had very strong tranditional marriage postions, as recent as 14 months ago.  Was Obama a homophobe 14 months ago?

[/QUOTE]

Skeeter..you can't possibly compare the two. I am pretty sure that most people who support the idea of gay marriage did not support the idea of gay marriage 15 or 20 years ago. I know I didn't..but my position evolved. It wasn't like I was against it..then for it..then against it again..depending on the audience. I was against it..then I slowly came to realize that the world as we know it wasn't going to end if two people of the same gender happened to fall in love and want to share a life together.

This is not the same as racism.

As far as Paula Deen..she may be only in her 60's...but she also grew up in the South..where it seems they are just now catching up to the rest of the country in regards to racial tolerance. Just because there were laws against discrimination doesn't mean that people ( mostly in the South) automatically changed beliefs that were generations in the making. I still think Deen is getting a bum rap..but again...the people you should take it up with are the companies who are cutting ties with her. Obama and the government have nothing at all to do with it.

Oh..and by the way..most of the people I know think Baldwin is a clown and a loser. Does he even have corporate sponsors to cut ties with..? If yes..then take it up with them. Why does Skeeter blame either of these things on government?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Progressives and MSM love to make an example and excoriate people like Deen.  You know southern conservative traditional people who sometimes fall back to the language of their parents at times of tension and frustration, like when a black man points a gun at your head during a robbery.  On the other hand funny people who make a living making fun of traditional people who sometimes fall back on their own deep biases get a pass, well because we (MSM) like them.

Baldwin has a history of angry rants, bashing his own daughter, aggressively going after the papparazzi (well somewhat justified) and now he trashes a tabloid reporter with homophibic rants for outing his wife for tweetng during Gandolfini's funeral.

Deen a nice southern women hawking her southern cooking gets pummeled for an admitted N bomb  back in the eighties when describing he rbeing robbed with a gun being pointed at her by a blackman, who by the way is upset with what's happened to Deen.

I know which one I'd rather see move to Canada; he threatened to before so let's encourage him now.

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

The South of the 80"s is not the south of today.

I have a mixed race friend who has been called "OREO" by Blacks.

Culture is everything because "Everything you believe is true"

It is all about todays young hate Culture  "Talk about others to hide yourself"

She will be back !!!

chiefhowie,

I too believe Deen can come back. This is a woman who built her empire from the ground up. She is a tough women. A real life 'Steel Magnolia".

But, now that she can afford PR consultants, etc., what she is doing is clearly not working. IMO, as well as others, her best move now is take a rest for awhile. She has no business ties right now but I believe her fan constituency is still mostly intact. I am not one of them. I was not before this incident. I have no intention on feeding my family the kind of food she promotes. That is not a progressive thing. That is a health thing.

There are lots of examples of people who have made comebacks. But you have to give it some time. She is not living paycheck to paycheck so she is not going to starve in the meantime. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

Deen is pilloried, and people like Balwdwin largely gets a pass

And chik-a-fil made lots of money when its CEO said he didn't like gay marriage.

[/QUOTE]

Does not like gay marriage is an understatement, but you are right...his business is doing just fine despite his well known views.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"And chik-a-fil made lots of money when its CEO said he didn't like gay marriage"

Apples and hand grenades...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Progressives and MSM love to make an example and excoriate people like Deen.  You know southern conservative traditional people who sometimes fall back to the language of their parents at times of tension and frustration, like when a black man points a gun at your head during a robbery.  On the other hand funny people who make a living making fun of traditional people who sometimes fall back on their own deep biases get a pass, well because we (MSM) like them.

Baldwin has a history of angry rants, bashing his own daughter, aggressively going after the papparazzi (well somewhat justified) and now he trashes a tabloid reporter with homophibic rants for outing his wife for tweetng during Gandolfini's funeral.

Deen a nice southern women hawking her southern cooking gets pummeled for an admitted N bomb  back in the eighties when describing he rbeing robbed with a gun being pointed at her by a blackman, who by the way is upset with what's happened to Deen.

I know which one I'd rather see move to Canada; he threatened to before so let's encourage him now.

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

"Deen a nice southern woman" et.

Paula Deen incarnates the whole "steel magnolia" archetype, with razor-sharp toughness beneath the flutter and the filigree.

"I is what I is" she said in her weepy exculpation on the "Today" show.

And that is fine. Go ahead, be what you be. Just DO NOT try to make everyone else responsible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Skeeter..you can't possibly compare the two. I am pretty sure that most people who support the idea of gay marriage did not support the idea of gay marriage 15 or 20 years ago. I know I didn't..but my position evolved. It wasn't like I was against it..then for it..then against it again..depending on the audience. I was against it..then I slowly came to realize that the world as we know it wasn't going to end if two people of the same gender happened to fall in love and want to share a life together.

This is not the same as racism.

As far as Paula Deen..she may be only in her 60's...but she also grew up in the South..where it seems they are just now catching up to the rest of the country in regards to racial tolerance. Just because there were laws against discrimination doesn't mean that people ( mostly in the South) automatically changed beliefs that were generations in the making. I still think Deen is getting a bum rap..but again...the people you should take it up with are the companies who are cutting ties with her. Obama and the government have nothing at all to do with it.

Oh..and by the way..most of the people I know think Baldwin is a clown and a loser. Does he even have corporate sponsors to cut ties with..? If yes..then take it up with them. Why does Skeeter blame either of these things on government?

[/QUOTE]

cricket,

Capital One is the main corporate tie I am aware of for Baldwin at this point in time. So, you are right. If some people are so bothered by his transgression, take it up with Capital One and any other corporate tie he may have.

This has nothing at all to do with government.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

This has nothing at all to do with government.

Which is why no one in this thread has said as much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

All of the companies who dropped Deen did so because they wanted to, they didn't have to.  No one made them.

This isn't an issue of progressives versus whoever you persecuted types like to believe is coming after you, she made statements on the record that people who pay her to represent them found distasteful, and took action as they saw fit. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

I found her recipes to be gluttonous, unimaginative, and one step removed from junk food.  I am hardly surprised by similar revelations about her character.

I don't weep for an old woman who only became apologetic about her latent racism when it affected her pocketbook.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"As far as Paula Deen..she may be only in her 60's...but she also grew up in the South..where it seems they are just now catching up to the rest of the country in regards to racial tolerance. Just because there were laws against discrimination doesn't mean that people ( mostly in the South) automatically changed beliefs that were generations in the making."

Typical Northern liberal smugness. It will remain permanently 1960 in the ossified liberal mind. The old South run by racist Democrats is long gone, thankfully ; the South was invaded again, successfully; fully half of Virginians are transplants like myself. The US state with the highest number of blacks elected to state and local offices? Mississippi.

Blacks are migrating in huge numbers out of the failed liberal inner cities, just like many Americans, to jobs and opportunites in the South...perhaps it is Boston in the 70s which needed to catch up with racial tolerance, wasnt it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

All of the companies who dropped Deen did so because they wanted to, they didn't have to.  No one made them.

This isn't an issue of progressives versus whoever you persecuted types like to believe is coming after you, she made statements on the record that people who pay her to represent them found distasteful, and took action as they saw fit. 

Perhaps you might think about why NBC does nothing about Baldwin? It isn't like he doesn't have a history of this sort of thing either. Yeah, sure they can do what they want. That isn't the point. The question is why does NBC do nothing about him? Could it be because he makes a lot of money for them or is it because he is a flaming librul or both? Paula Dean presumably made some money for the Food Network too so why are their standards apparently different?

This is about the hypocrisy you types engage in.