Top Dems warn of "huge train wreck over Obamacare"!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Top Dems warn of "huge train wreck over Obamacare"!

Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.) said Wednesday he fears a "train wreck" as the Obama administration implements its signature healthcare law.

Baucus, the chairman of the chamber's powerful Finance Committee and a key architect of the healthcare reform law, said he fears people do not understand how the law will work.

"I just see a huge train wreck coming down," he told Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius at a Wednesday hearing. "You and I have discussed this many times, and I don't see any results yet."

Baucus pressed Sebelius for details about how the Health Department will explain the law and raise awareness of its provisions, which are supposed to take effect in just a matter of months.

"I'm very concerned that not enough is being done so far — very concerned," Baucus said.

He pressed Sebelius to explain how her department will overcome entrenched misunderstandings about what the healthcare law does.

"Small businesses have no idea what to do, what to expect," Baucus said.

Citing anecdotal evidence from small businesses in his home state, Baucus asked Sebelius for specifics about how it is measuring public understanding of the law.

"You need data. Do you have any data? You've never given me data. You only give me concepts, frankly," he said.

Sebelius said in response that the administration is not independently monitoring public awareness of specific provisions but will be embarking on an education campaign beginning this summer.

Baucus is facing a competitive reelection fight next year, and Republicans are sure to attack him over his role as the primary author of the healthcare law.

A messy rollout of the law's major provisions, months before Baucus faces voters, could feed into the GOP's criticism.

Wednesday's hearing wasn't the first time Democrats, including Baucus, have raised concerns about the implementation. But while other lawmakers have toned down their public comments as they've gotten answers from the Health secretary, Baucus said Sebelius has not addressed his fears.

"I'm going to keep on this until I feel a lot better about it," Baucus told Sebelius.

A recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll found deep and persistent misconceptions about the healthcare law. Public awareness was highest for the most politically unpopular provisions, and many people wrongly believed the law contains provisions like a "death panel" to make decisions about end-of-life care.

Enrollment in the healthcare law's insurance exchanges is slated to begin in October, for coverage that begins in January. Baucus, though, said he's worried exchanges won't be ready in time.

"For the marketplaces to work, people need to know about them," he said. "People need to know their options and how to enroll."

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/294501-baucus-warns-of-huge-train-wreck-in-obamacare-implementation#ixzz2QosQPSwU
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: Top Dems warn of

In response to Newtster's comment:

THe Trainwreck Provision is on page 1785. We only found out after voting for it.

Cant blame republicans since dems shove it down everyones throat without any republican ammendments or votes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Progressives don't want to touch this with a 10 foot pole.  ut, remember, their real goal is total government control of health care.  I'm beginning to think Obamacare was designed to fail so that would be the only thing left to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Progressives don't want to touch this with a 10 foot pole.  ut, remember, their real goal is total government control of health care.  I'm beginning to think Obamacare was designed to fail so that would be the only thing left to do.

Some have been saying that since the beginning!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

If I were a cynical person, then the fact that the GOP is moving to strengthen the ACA would seem to be hypocritical. Especially given the fact that they are only supporting the popular pieces without regard as to how to pay for it. Sounds an awful lot like the Medicare part D unfunded disaster pushed through to garner the votes of the elderly.  

If I was a cynical person then the fact that the GOP is pressuring Obama to act unilatterally, without Congressional approval, to strengthen a key aspect of ACA would sound like they are setting him up for a political attack later.

If I were a cynical person I could assume that their bill to strengthen ACA is just political posturing over popular parts of the law while wishing Obama would act because they don't have the political will to do what they know is right. Sounds an awful lot like their backflip on the stimulus where they wouldn't vote for it, attacked those who did vote for it, shamelessly asked for the money and then bragged to their constituents how they are creating jobs in their home districts...from a program they said wouldn't create a single job.

GOP fast tracks bill to fortify ObamaCare.

House Republicans are moving quickly on a new bill to strengthen ObamaCare's temporary insurance plan for people with pre-existing conditions.

The Helping Sick Americans Now Act (H.R. 1549) was introduced late Monday and is scheduled for a mark-up Wednesday in the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

The measure seeks to shore up the Pre-Existing Conditions Insurance Plan (PCIP), a struggling program designed to offer insurance to vulnerable patients while the Affordable Care Act is fully implemented.

The Obama administration announced earlier this year that it would suspend enrollment in the PCIP, citing cost concerns.

GOP lawmakers have since mounted a push to transfer money from the law's public and preventive health fund — disparaged as a "slush" fund by Republicans — to reopen the PCIP's enrollment.

The new measure follows a letter from House GOP leaders to President Obama asking him to make that move without congressional action.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/294099-gop-fast-tracks-bill-to-fortify-obamacares-high-risk-pools#ixzz2Qpvbq4iD

So? Who here is claiming the GOP is looking out for us?  I think most conservatives here see the GOP as part off the problem, not the solution.

i love it how the. Left is so simple minded on this.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

If I were a cynical person, then the fact that the GOP is moving to strengthen the ACA would seem to be hypocritical. Especially given the fact that they are only supporting the popular pieces without regard as to how to pay for it. Sounds an awful lot like the Medicare part D unfunded disaster pushed through to garner the votes of the elderly.  

If I was a cynical person then the fact that the GOP is pressuring Obama to act unilatterally, without Congressional approval, to strengthen a key aspect of ACA would sound like they are setting him up for a political attack later.

If I were a cynical person I could assume that their bill to strengthen ACA is just political posturing over popular parts of the law while wishing Obama would act because they don't have the political will to do what they know is right. Sounds an awful lot like their backflip on the stimulus where they wouldn't vote for it, attacked those who did vote for it, shamelessly asked for the money and then bragged to their constituents how they are creating jobs in their home districts...from a program they said wouldn't create a single job.

GOP fast tracks bill to fortify ObamaCare.

House Republicans are moving quickly on a new bill to strengthen ObamaCare's temporary insurance plan for people with pre-existing conditions.

The Helping Sick Americans Now Act (H.R. 1549) was introduced late Monday and is scheduled for a mark-up Wednesday in the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

The measure seeks to shore up the Pre-Existing Conditions Insurance Plan (PCIP), a struggling program designed to offer insurance to vulnerable patients while the Affordable Care Act is fully implemented.

The Obama administration announced earlier this year that it would suspend enrollment in the PCIP, citing cost concerns.

GOP lawmakers have since mounted a push to transfer money from the law's public and preventive health fund — disparaged as a "slush" fund by Republicans — to reopen the PCIP's enrollment.

The new measure follows a letter from House GOP leaders to President Obama asking him to make that move without congressional action.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/294099-gop-fast-tracks-bill-to-fortify-obamacares-high-risk-pools#ixzz2Qpvbq4iD

So? Who here is claiming the GOP is looking out for us?  I think most conservatives here see the GOP as part off the problem, not the solution.

i love it how the. Left is so simple minded on this.

Funny how the only thing you see is only what reinforces your ignorance.

Why didn't you point out tvoter's error in assigning blame to only one party?

Cant blame republicans since dems shove it down everyones throat without any republican ammendments or votes.

There's no problem being partisan, but when you try disguise it as being somewhat even-handed in your criticisms, when you clearly aren't, then you just end up being someone who is not to be taken seriously.

Why didn't I point out tvoters error?  Am I obligated to point out everything wrong in order to satisfy you?

Look, the left here divides the world into two camps:  Democrats and Repbulicans.  That's YOUR model, not mine.  On most issues I fall in the catagory of both parties having bad ideas, like health care.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.