TSA now allowing pocket knives etc. on flights

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

TSA now allowing pocket knives etc. on flights

What do you think of this newest ruling by the TSA. Have they just rendered themselves irrelevent?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Re: TSA now allowing pocket knives etc. on flights

A bad idea.  And more stupid that they didn't talk it over with the air marshals and flight crews first.  Hopefully, the latter will prevail.

But I was appalled to see someone throw a couple of lighters and some matches into the bowl a couple of years ago.  (But that's just me.)  Through they went.  No problem.  I asked why.  (Shrug.)  I complained to a supervisor.  ("Um, thank you.")  I went over to a TSA guy covering an exit all by himself, and asked him if it had been political pressure.  ("Zippo.")  I brought it up on a frequent traveler board, and was again appalled at the rabid response.  Reminded me of this board.

miscricket, sorry if this is hijacking the thread.  I mean to reinforce the point that this is another decision that's not made based on safety.  I would have left it at "Zippo" but it needed some explanation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Now worries Firewind..your example is a good one. I have thought for a while that the TSA is more about theatre and not so much about safety. This latest decision..in the face of intrusive body searches is just another example.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

TSA has always been largely irrelevant.

It can't even detect types of explosives we already knew about (underwear / shoe bomber).

The only actual terrorist threats on planes have been annulled by passengers, except one threat that was detected by traditional foreign baggage scans.

It's a joke. A show of safety that didn't do anything other than provide some very expensive job-creation stimulus.

Oh, and here's the good bit: It is true that when at high altitudes, passengers already receive a dose of radiation that increases cancer risk.

TSA added more. If you look at the rate of cancer increase per billion passengers amd the number of air travelers boarding in the U.S. per year since the scanners went into place....  you will find that the scanners have in fact likely killed slightly more people than were killed on 9/11.

Without stopping a single terrorist.

Do we know how big these pocket knives are allowed to be? Because this just adds another layer of idiocy to the whole affair.

Let's group your wife and daughter for bombs our scanner can't detect, but hey, if you want to bring a knife on the plane?  

...?

It's really lunacy when you have TSA security officials groping elderly ladies..and checking babies' diapers...yet one is able to bring a weapon similar to those used on 9/11 on a flight with no problem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Do people actually carry pocket knives? 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Do people actually carry pocket knives? 

Special agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs' rule #9

Always carry a knife

Good show...great character

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

I'm guessing TSA won't be a "gentle" with their colonoscopy though...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

FortySixAndTwo the TSA doesn't make you drink that Prep that the Doctor does but they do want you to sing " Moon River " !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

FortySixAndTwo the TSA doesn't make you drink that Prep that the Doctor does but they do want you to sing " Moon River " !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPStwD1C8-c

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

FortySixAndTwo the TSA doesn't make you drink that Prep that the Doctor does but they do want you to sing " Moon River c

I can't bring it up ....... that youtube link isn't active

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

FortySixAndTwo the TSA doesn't make you drink that Prep that the Doctor does but they do want you to sing " Moon River c

I can't bring it up ....... that youtube link isn't active

Darn...it was the "moon river" scene from Fletch