Twin defeats spark Democratic fears

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

A tale of two defeats, one really hurt and one was piling on but expected.  With no saying the economy and jobs picture will show any real improvement in the next 12 months, it appears that 2012 is looking more and more grim for Dems. The irony is that the GOP will likely nominate someone who will lose the WH while locking up veto proof control of Congress.

Close

HOWARD BEACH, N.Y. — The Democratic Party’s rare loss of a congressional seat in its urban heartland Tuesday, accompanied by a blowout defeat in a Nevada special election, marked the latest in a string of demoralizing setbacks that threatened to deepen the party’s crisis of confidence and raise concerns about President Barack Obama’s political fortunes.

In New York, Republican Bob Turner soundly defeated Democrat David Weprin in a House contest that – in the view of party leaders, at least — featured an anemic urban machine, distracted labor unions, and disloyal voters. In Nevada, a consequential state for the president’s re-election strategy, Democrats suffered a runaway loss rooted in a weak showing in Reno’s Washoe County, a key bellwether.

www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63466.html#continue" class="hidden">Continue Reading

Even before the polls closed, the recriminations – something short of panic, and considerably more than mere grumbling – had begun. On a high-level campaign conference call Tuesday afternoon, Democratic donors and strategists commiserated over their disappointment in Obama. A source on the call described the mood as “awful.”

“People feel betrayed, disappointed, furious, disgusted, hopeless,” said the source.

Less expansive but equally telling were the remarks of House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, who in a conversation with reporters Tuesday morning said bluntly that Obama would take some blame for the two special election losses.

“I think every election reflects on the person in charge, but do I think it is an overall statement on the president alone? No,” said Hoyer. “Do I think it will be interpreted as being a statement on Obama? That’s probably correct.”

A senior Hill Democratic aide was more direct in attempting to explain the New York loss: “The approval ratings for the guy at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue cratered.”

A Turner consultant, Steve Goldberg, validated that assessment: “It was all Obama — not even a thought of anything else.”

The president’s feisty new jobs plan has probably preempted open revolt in his party – though a Bloomberg poll released Wednesday morning found that 51 percent of Americans don’t believe it will help lower the unemployment rate. Senior party figures are on board with – or are at least resigned to – the White House’s leadership. And some Democratic insiders sought to put a better face on their diminished state - before adding that they wanted to see a tougher Obama.

Use link for complete article.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63466.html

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears

In Response to Twin defeats spark Democratic fears:
    A tale of two defeats, one really hurt and one was piling on but expected.  With no saying the economy and jobs picture will show any real improvement in the next 12 months, it appears that 2012 is looking more and more grim for Dems. The irony is that the GOP will likely nominate someone who will lose the WH while locking up veto proof control of Congress. Twin defeats spark Democratic fears Close By  JONATHAN MARTIN  &  BEN SMITH  &  JAKE SHERMAN  | 9/14/11 4:57 AM EDT HOWARD BEACH, N.Y. — The Democratic Party’s  rare loss  of a congressional seat in its urban heartland Tuesday, accompanied by a blowout defeat in a Nevada special election, marked the latest in a string of demoralizing setbacks that threatened to deepen the party’s crisis of confidence and raise concerns about President Barack Obama’s political fortunes. In New York, Republican  Bob Turner  soundly defeated Democrat  David Weprin  in a House contest that – in the view of party leaders, at least — featured an anemic urban machine, distracted labor unions, and disloyal voters. In Nevada, a consequential state for the president’s re-election strategy, Democrats suffered a runaway loss rooted in a weak showing in Reno’s Washoe County, a key bellwether. www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63466.html#continue " class="hidden" /> Continue Reading Even before the polls closed, the recriminations – something short of panic, and considerably more than mere grumbling – had begun. On a high-level campaign conference call Tuesday afternoon, Democratic donors and strategists commiserated over their  disappointment in Obama . A source on the call described the mood as “awful.” “People feel betrayed, disappointed, furious, disgusted, hopeless,” said the source. Less expansive but equally telling were the remarks of House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, who in a conversation with reporters Tuesday morning said bluntly that Obama would take some blame for the two special election losses. “I think every election reflects on the person in charge, but do I think it is an overall statement on the president alone? No,” said Hoyer. “Do I think it will be interpreted as being a statement on Obama? That’s probably correct.” A senior Hill Democratic aide was more direct in attempting to explain the New York loss: “The approval ratings for the guy at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue cratered.” A Turner consultant, Steve Goldberg, validated that assessment: “It was all Obama — not even a thought of anything else.” The president’s  feisty new jobs plan  has probably preempted open revolt in his party – though a Bloomberg poll released Wednesday morning found that 51 percent of Americans don’t believe it will help lower the unemployment rate. Senior party figures are on board with – or are at least resigned to – the White House’s leadership. And some Democratic insiders sought to put a better face on their diminished state - before adding that they wanted to see a tougher Obama. Use link for complete article. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63466.html
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

I agree.   The RNC is completely tone deaf here.  Conservatives are winning congress and senatorial seats, yet they are insistent that the only way to win the White house is to nominate a "moderate", ie. a republican that acts like a democrat.  Very bizarre.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

In Response to Twin defeats spark Democratic fears:
    A tale of two defeats, one really hurt and one was piling on but expected.  With no saying the economy and jobs picture will show any real improvement in the next 12 months, it appears that 2012 is looking more and more grim for Dems. The irony is that the GOP will likely nominate someone who will lose the WH while locking up veto proof control of Congress. Twin defeats spark Democratic fears Close By  JONATHAN MARTIN  &  BEN SMITH  &  JAKE SHERMAN  | 9/14/11 4:57 AM EDT HOWARD BEACH, N.Y. — The Democratic Party’s  rare loss  of a congressional seat in its urban heartland Tuesday, accompanied by a blowout defeat in a Nevada special election, marked the latest in a string of demoralizing setbacks that threatened to deepen the party’s crisis of confidence and raise concerns about President Barack Obama’s political fortunes. In New York, Republican  Bob Turner  soundly defeated Democrat  David Weprin  in a House contest that – in the view of party leaders, at least — featured an anemic urban machine, distracted labor unions, and disloyal voters. In Nevada, a consequential state for the president’s re-election strategy, Democrats suffered a runaway loss rooted in a weak showing in Reno’s Washoe County, a key bellwether. www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63466.html#continue " class="hidden" /> Continue Reading Even before the polls closed, the recriminations – something short of panic, and considerably more than mere grumbling – had begun. On a high-level campaign conference call Tuesday afternoon, Democratic donors and strategists commiserated over their  disappointment in Obama . A source on the call described the mood as “awful.” “People feel betrayed, disappointed, furious, disgusted, hopeless,” said the source. Less expansive but equally telling were the remarks of House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, who in a conversation with reporters Tuesday morning said bluntly that Obama would take some blame for the two special election losses. “I think every election reflects on the person in charge, but do I think it is an overall statement on the president alone? No,” said Hoyer. “Do I think it will be interpreted as being a statement on Obama? That’s probably correct.” A senior Hill Democratic aide was more direct in attempting to explain the New York loss: “The approval ratings for the guy at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue cratered.” A Turner consultant, Steve Goldberg, validated that assessment: “It was all Obama — not even a thought of anything else.” The president’s  feisty new jobs plan  has probably preempted open revolt in his party – though a Bloomberg poll released Wednesday morning found that 51 percent of Americans don’t believe it will help lower the unemployment rate. Senior party figures are on board with – or are at least resigned to – the White House’s leadership. And some Democratic insiders sought to put a better face on their diminished state - before adding that they wanted to see a tougher Obama. Use link for complete article. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63466.html

Fear of what ? A republican takes a open house seat on a special election that historically is a low turnout election, and one in Nev . holds on to another republican vacated seat . And thats is some how a problem ? Funny you guys didnt look at things that way in other races won by democrats . House seats are a dime a dozen and are really meaningless. Even if we won both it wouldn't stop the obstruction politics of the house and the teapublican party. 

This is a good example of how talking heads dictate your thinking . Because it was the total opposit when dems won seats in republican strongholds. Get a grip boys dont buy the hype . Its not a game changer . 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Denial at it's best !!!
    What a stool !!

You sound like Monty Python... "Just a flesh wound.."

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears:
    In Response to Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : I agree.   The RNC is completely tone deaf here.  Conservatives are winning congress and senatorial seats, yet they are insistent that the only way to win the White house is to nominate a "moderate", ie. a republican that acts like a democrat.  Very bizarre.
    Posted by skeeter20

A moderate republican is still right of center and a far cry from a middle to left Dem.  We could follow the right leaning side of the party and nominate candidates like Angle and McConnell and just lose the seat.  If we want to see change in the WH the RNC needs to find their Scott Brown like candidate.

Don't tell me we had a moderate in McCain last time and he couldn't do it.  McCain got close, even in an environment that should have been a Dem landslide and inspite of his VP selection.  Moderates win the general election, especially this time when they want to see a candidate with a solid history on managing a political entity i.e. Governor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : Fear of what ? A republican takes a open house seat on a special election that historically is a low turnout election, and one in Nev . holds on to another republican vacated seat . And thats is some how a problem ? Funny you guys didnt look at things that way in other races won by democrats . House seats are a dime a dozen and are really meaningless. Even if we won both it wouldn't stop the obstruction politics of the house and the teapublican party.  This is a good example of how talking heads dictate your thinking . Because it was the total opposit when dems won seats in republican strongholds. Get a grip boys dont buy the hype . Its not a game changer . 
    Posted by beKool

Not what you said when the take was reversed with Hockul in NY last time.

These weren't my statements in the article, they we coming from the Dem machine, from a mainstream source.  Not a right leaning blog.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

Funny how Kathy Hochul winning a NY seat was huge, but this is meaningless. LOL
    Posted by GreginMeffa

LMLAO

Its like shooting fish in a barrel

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beKool. Show beKool's posts

In Response to Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : Not what you said when the take was reversed with Hockul in NY last time. These weren't my statements in the article, they we coming from the Dem machine, from a mainstream source.  Not a right leaning blog.

Hey its your fantasy kid . LMLAO

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Democrats picked off a heavily Republican upstate New York congressional seat posted at 5/25/2011 12:13 AM EDT www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e09601a7cc60a17b05d428ce63e62db6&plckUserId=e09601a7cc60a17b05d428ce63e62db6 " /> beKool Posts: 4180 First: 1/30/2011 Last: 9/14/2011 Fat lady is tuning up wingers . Democrats picked off a heavily Republican upstate New York congressional seat posted at 5/25/2011 12:13 AM EDT www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e09601a7cc60a17b05d428ce63e62db6&plckUserId=e09601a7cc60a17b05d428ce63e62db6 "> beKool Posts: 4180 First: 1/30/2011 Last: 9/14/2011 Fat lady is tuning up wingers . Democrats picked off a heavily Republican upstate New York congressional seat posted at 5/25/2011 12:13 AM EDT www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e09601a7cc60a17b05d428ce63e62db6&plckUserId=e09601a7cc60a17b05d428ce63e62db6 "> beKool Posts: 4180 First: 1/30/2011 Last: 9/14/2011 Fat lady is tuning up wingers . "Fat lady is tuning up right wingers" - BeKool on kathy Hochul. Ooops!
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Greg, nice work in delivering kool some news that might melt his cubes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : Hey its your fantasy kid . LMLAO
    Posted by beKool

Hey Kool,

Greg beat me to it, but tag you're it.

LMMAO..............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Stool should start spending his time spinning 2012.

It's like being on the Titanic and feeling a bump.

Enjoy..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from s0ftsquash. Show s0ftsquash's posts

Maybe it's time for the dems to consider reverting back to the JFK platform.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

Funny how Kathy Hochul winning a NY seat was huge, but this is meaningless.

DING! DING! DING!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : A moderate republican is still right of center and a far cry from a middle to left Dem.  We could follow the right leaning side of the party and nominate candidates like Angle and McConnell and just lose the seat.  If we want to see change in the WH the RNC needs to find their Scott Brown like candidate. Don't tell me we had a moderate in McCain last time and he couldn't do it.  McCain got close, even in an environment that should have been a Dem landslide and inspite of his VP selection.  Moderates win the general election, especially this time when they want to see a candidate with a solid history on managing a political entity i.e. Governor.

conservatives won big in 2010.  don't buy the Angle argument.  She was dumped on by the progressive media big time.  If Angle took her gandchild to day care, the headline was going to be "Angle forces grandchild into right-wing reeducation camp."

If we allow the media to define who is acceptable to put up against Obama, i.e. Mitt Romney, we will likely lose.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Response to Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : conservatives won big in 2010.  don't buy the Angle argument.  She was dumped on by the progressive media big time.  If Angle took her gandchild to day care, the headline was going to be "Angle forces grandchild into right-wing reeducation camp." If we allow the media to define who is acceptable to put up against Obama, i.e. Mitt Romney, we will likely lose.
    Posted by skeeter20

The GOP doesn't need to worry about the MSM, they need to be concerned about people like me; independent moderate Reagan Democrat RINO swing voters who like Scott Brown.

I won't vote for Perry, Bachmann, or Romney.  I'd vote for Paul if he could just throttle it back a little but he can't.  I like Cain but he is too light.  I'd vote for Gingrich, Santorum or Huntsman vs. Obama.

If the GOP disposes of Huntsman early, and goes the route of the three I wouldn't vote for then I'd vote for Huntsman as an independent.  Just like I voted for Anderson in 1980.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : You mean like how the right shat- itself about supposed "indoctrination" and "brain-washing" when Obama suggested a few classroom activities concerning American history for teachers to use? Oh, but you think that was justified, I'm sure.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Went right over your head, didn't it?

Did you happen to notice the term "media"?  No, I didn't think so.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Twin defeats spark Democratic fears : The GOP doesn't need to worry about the MSM, they need to be concerned about people like me; independent moderate Reagan Democrat RINO swing voters who like Scott Brown. I won't vote for Perry, Bachmann, or Romney.  I'd vote for Paul if he could just throttle it back a little but he can't.  I like Cain but he is too light.  I'd vote for Gingrich, Santorum or Huntsman vs. Obama. If the GOP disposes of Huntsman early, and goes the route of the three I wouldn't vote for then I'd vote for Huntsman as an independent.  Just like I voted for Anderson in 1980.

I share your observations, and like you, fairly well informed.

the vast majority of the moderates are ill informed and likely to be swayed by the media.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Voters are choosing to go with bad Republicans than horrendous Democrats.

Lesser of two incompetents.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Denial at it's best !!! What a stool !!   You sound like Monty Python... "Just a flesh wound.."
    Posted by KittyDuke

Brave, Brave Sir Robin ran away.......

Sections
Shortcuts