Uh oh. Paul Krugman, not Sarah Palin.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Uh oh. Paul Krugman, not Sarah Palin.

But wait...I thought if we just tax the rich more it would pay for everything?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Death Panels and Sales Taxes

I said something deliberately provocative on This Week, so I think I’d better clarify what I meant (which I did on the show, but it can’t hurt to say it again.)

So, what I said is that the eventual resolution of the deficit problem both will and should rely on “death panels and sales taxes”. What I meant is that

(a) health care costs will have to be controlled, which will surely require having Medicare and Medicaid decide what they’re willing to pay for — not really death panels, of course, but consideration of medical effectiveness and, at some point, how much we’re willing to spend for extreme care

(b) we’ll need more revenue — several percent of GDP — which might most plausibly come from a value-added tax

And if we do those two things, we’re most of the way toward a sustainable budget.

By the way, I’ve said this before.

Now, you may declare that this is politically impossible. But medical costs must be controlled somehow, or nothing works. And is a modest VAT really so much more implausible than ending the mortgage interest deduction?

So that’s my plan. And I believe that some day — maybe in the first Chelsea Clinton administration — it will actually happen.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/death-panels-and-sales-taxes/

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Paul Krugman, the former consultant to Enron.

Nobel Prizes given to leftists for being leftists are equivalent to kids' soccer "Participation" trophies....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

No, no Greg...it's only backpedaling when a conservative clarifies a statement. You must get these rules straight!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Perception is a funny thing sometimes...yikes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Perception is a funny thing sometimes...yikes

Right on schedule. You could teach Obama a thing or two about transparency.

Ouchie....ya really got me with that one...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Psst....did you see my original post? Again...read what I write and not what you think I write. It will help you out tremendously. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

But wait...I thought if we just tax the rich more it would pay for everything?

I'm terribly sorry that you thought that. Nobody said it, so, I guess that's yet another pinkie lie about libruls.

Not sure how it's supposed to cure your backpedal f-up, but, whatever you say.

More lies from WDYWN...keep it going...I can do this all day long..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I can do this all day long

What? Lie?

We knew that already.

Pathetic. You claim your a man but you can't even admit it when you make a mistake. When you and airborne tried to meet up, did you eat your food in the stall and claim airborne was avoiding you or something?

Gregin recognized his mistake:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

So Krugman is standing by his statement.  Excellent

So...what...  Gregin and I are lying about the mistake?

Oooook. I know you're desperate to do some trolling but this is just plain stupid.

Wasn't what I was referring to in my last post. Try and keep up will ya.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

I said something deliberately provocative on This Week, so I think I’d better clarify what I meant (which I did on the show, but it can’t hurt to say it again.)

So, what I said is that the eventual resolution of the deficit problem both will and should rely on “death panels and sales taxes”. What I meant is that

(a) health care costs will have to be controlled, which will surely require having Medicare and Medicaid decide what they’re willing to pay for — not really death panels, of course, but consideration of medical effectiveness and, at some point, how much we’re willing to spend for extreme care

(b) we’ll need more revenue — several percent of GDP — which might most plausibly come from a value-added tax

And if we do those two things, we’re most of the way toward a sustainable budget.

Now, you may declare that this is politically impossible. But medical costs must be controlled somehow, or nothing works. And is a modest VAT really so much more implausible than ending the mortgage interest deduction?

So that’s my plan. And I believe that some day — maybe in the first Chelsea Clinton administration — it will actually happen.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/death-panels-and-sales-taxes/

So, the government determines "medical effectiveness".

And, that's not a "death panel"?

Oh, and while he's at it, Krugman makes another plug for big government by saying that we need to raise more taxes, or we will start killing people by determining that we can't afford the level of "medical effectiveness"  they need.

Face it, liberals, even if you had the best of intentions by supporting Obamacare, you've been had.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Ouchie....ya really got me with that one...

Sorry.

I wasn't sure if, before jumping up in down in glee at supposedly catching a liberal in whatever you think you caught him in, you and Gregin realized that the bit Gregin picked up from skeeter20, which skeeter grabbed from Breitbart (surprise there), was from February 5, 2013 - and was about something that he said the prior week.

5 Feb 2013

"Nobel Prize winning “economist” Paul Krugman spoke at Sixth & I Historic Synagogue in Washington, D.C. last week."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/02/04/Krugman-Death-panels-and-sales-taxes-is-how-we-do-this

Pay attention to that bolded number. It will be important where we get to the "clarification" business you and gregin were cackling about.

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Didn't take llong for the back peddle.  So its, "what I realy meant was . . ." rather than the bus.  Excellent

Yeah us libs, we're dirty sneeky bunch, Greg. Pinkie, give him a high five.

No, no Greg...it's only backpedaling when a conservative clarifies a statement. You must get these rules straight!

Whoa. Waiiiiit a sec. Now, look at the bolded bit. I have to suspect Username cleverly omitted it when he linked the following.

November 14, 2010, 12:40 pm 266 Comments

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/death-panels-and-sales-taxes/             Get this: The supposed "backpedaling" you two were snickering at liberals about? That was 3 years BEFOREthe quote Gregin reposted.   Did he go back in time to do his backpedaling?   Maybe you should check your assumptions about the dirty liberals.

Well, no, I didn't grab from Brietbart.  I wish I had.  Brietbart was one of the few people that would stand up to the bullies on the left.

Look, I get you a Nobel Prize winning economist from the left saying we are going to have to insititute death panels  in order for Obamacare to work, and you still find a problem with it.

You are beyond salvage.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Well, no, I didn't grab from Brietbart.  I wish I had.  Brietbart was one of the few people that would stand up to the bullies on the left.

Look, I get you a Nobel Prize winning economist from the left saying we are going to have to insititute death panels  in order for Obamacare to work, and you still find a problem with it.

You are beyond salvage.

The difference is that Krugman's comment was a joke.  Palin's use the same term was no joke. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Shorter Krugman: We're still going to have death panels, we're just not going to CALL them death panels. See how clever I am?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Thank you. This mainly confirms my suspicions: There isn't mcuh of anything government can do to address health care costs, short of going single-payer.

Mostly it just confirms your confirmation bias. The truth is that the healthcare industry, not being exempt from the laws of economics, will only become more efficient and less costly through genuine competition. That, and changing how allopathic doctors insist on treating the symptoms instead of the causes of disease but that's a topic for a different forum.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts