Uh oh. Paul Krugman, not Sarah Palin.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Uh oh. Paul Krugman, not Sarah Palin.

Threads that mention Sarah Palin are  a little like driving past the scene of an accident. You know you shouldn't look..but you just can't help yourself.

Referring to decisions that involve best medical practices, evidence-based medicine and end of life care as death panels is grossly ignorant. Palin coined the phrase and Krugman was foolish to even repeat it..even though the context was different.

If you've ever participated in care plan meetings for someone who is terminal you would never use the term "death panel" or tolerate the ignorance of someone who does use it.

Without evidence-based medicine..I would probably be dead right now. I would rather leave medical decisions to the experts...not to people whose first loyalty is to shareholder. I trust the government to do a better job with this than a private insurance company whose first concern is shareholders.

People need to understand that in terms of health care more is not better..but appropriate is. Sometimes..appropriate care means nothing more than palliative care no matter how strongly your instinct may be to do otherwise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to tvoter's comment:

$459,388.65 Hotel Bill in London...

The accompanying document justifying the "sole source" contract notes that the vice president's group required "approximately 136 hotel rooms for 893 room nights." Based on these figures and the total contract price, each hotel room at the five star hotel cost the U.S. government about $500 per night.

There's a nifty hostel just outside of town that would have been much more cost effective.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

They do push preventative care. Trouble is it's entirely up to the individual to go in for it, and then listen to what the doctor says.

The trouble is that the "preventative care" that they push is generally wrong and usually involves drugs that do more harm than good (statins anyone?) or even worse, unnecessary operations. It's not the fault of the general population that they don't have the time or inclination to do the research themselves and just trust in the doc.

But again, that's topic for another forum.

What kind of preventative care are you referring to that involves drugs? And how do you know if doctors push the wrong kind of preventative care? Is there hard evidence backing this up? 

The only preventative care that comes in the form of a drug is an immunization. Once you are taking medication for an illness, disease or condition..it's considered tertiary care. Preventative care is much..much more cost effective than tertiary care. 

Of course..we live in a consumer driven economy and sadly that includes medical care..so there's not much chance that preventative measures will become stronger than they already are.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to tvoter's comment:

$459,388.65 Hotel Bill in London...

The accompanying document justifying the "sole source" contract notes that the vice president's group required "approximately 136 hotel rooms for 893 room nights." Based on these figures and the total contract price, each hotel room at the five star hotel cost the U.S. government about $500 per night.

There's a nifty hostel just outside of town that would have been much more cost effective.

Because the VP should stay in a hostel?

I'd be curious to know how many Presidents and VP's don't stay in 5-star hotels. If they did all stay in 5 star hotels most of the time, I'd be curious to see how many times tvoter objected when there was an R next to the name.

Ah, London.  I used to stay at the Kennsington, one of the nicest hotels anywhere.  I wonder if Biden stayed in my old room.

In the spirit of compromise:  Biden can stay at the swanky hotel, the other 138 can roll out a cot at the hostel.

These are government workers, not royalty.  Times are tough.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

I have not heard Sarah Palin's name mentioned in a long time.  I wonder if ms still thinks that she will run for President?

Hell,  no. She is a ding bat. You're the one with the odd Palin infatuation. 

But, a good looking dingbat.

And, she does seem to have a center of gravity around common sense, unlike any liberal i have ever met.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I have not heard Sarah Palin's name mentioned in a long time.  I wonder if ms still thinks that she will run for President?

And, she does seem to have a center of gravity around common sense, unlike any liberal i have ever met.

Sarah Palin has a center of gravity around common sense? I'm going to have to think about that one for a bit..let it steep for a bit. A few example of her common sense might help..but I view her as an opportunist who took advantage of a movement for her own gain.  I don't doubt that she is smart like a fox...but I wouldn't say there's anything common about her.

Although..Soujourners Magazine reported last week that Palin is planning on writing a book about Christmas. That might be interesting. Palin reportedly wants to put faith and religion back into Christmas. I can be onboard with that. Faith and religion has always been a big part of my Christmas.  You know who might not be so happy about such a book? Corporate America.  I wonder if Sarah Palin will actually have the guts to take on Corporate America in her book about putting Christ back into Christmas. Something tells me it will be more about bullying the non christian faith into compliance.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Sarah Palin has a center of gravity around common sense? I'm going to have to think about that one for a bit..let it steep for a bit. A few example of her common sense might help..

Oh, it's more than just common sense. As the Governor of Alaska she proved to be a talented and extremely popluar chief executive.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/98759531/Governor-Palin-Executive-Accomplishments

Ironically, she was also quite popular with Democrats in her state for a while when she was going after the old corrupt Republican guard. Funny how things change.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Sarah Palin has a center of gravity around common sense? I'm going to have to think about that one for a bit..let it steep for a bit. A few example of her common sense might help..but I view her as an opportunist who took advantage of a movement for her own gain.  I don't doubt that she is smart like a fox...but I wouldn't say there's anything common about her.

Although..Soujourners Magazine reported last week that Palin is planning on writing a book about Christmas. That might be interesting. Palin reportedly wants to put faith and religion back into Christmas. I can be onboard with that. Faith and religion has always been a big part of my Christmas.  You know who might not be so happy about such a book? Corporate America.  I wonder if Sarah Palin will actually have the guts to take on Corporate America in her book about putting Christ back into Christmas. Something tells me it will be more about bullying the non christian faith into compliance.

Oh, come on.  the best thing about Palin is how she irritates the left.  What's not to love about that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Oh, come on.  the best thing about Palin is how she irritates the left.  What's not to love about that?

Well..there is that I suppose. However..if that's the best thing about her..then she's in big trouble. When someone's main goal in life is to create confict..then even their friends and allies eventually start to find them tedious. Especially if there's not a lot of substance to back it up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Sarah Palin has a center of gravity around common sense? I'm going to have to think about that one for a bit..let it steep for a bit. A few example of her common sense might help..

Oh, it's more than just common sense. As the Governor of Alaska she proved to be a talented and extremely popluar chief executive.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/98759531/Governor-Palin-Executive-Accomplishments

Ironically, she was also quite popular with Democrats in her state for a while when she was going after the old corrupt Republican guard. Funny how things change.

Then let me ask you...why the schtick from her? If..as your link suggests she is very smart...then why dumb herself down to the point of absurdity? Why act like..as Msobstinate stated above...a dingbat. Because every time she opens her mouth that's exactly what I think..that she's a dingbat.

So what's worse? That she could be a dingbat...or that she could be an intelligent woman...dumbing herself down to appeal to the tea party right. After all..we all know the value that the Tea Party places on smart women...right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

If we aren't going to go single-payer, then what would reduce the actual cost of particular procedures?

That is, in a single payer system, government can set salaries for medical staff and group-bargain with manufacturers for equipment/etc.

Or, I suppose, it could conceivably be something a bit different: Become the sole insurer and set fees-per-service. Of course, that's more dangerous because you're in direct price-control territory.

Price and wage controls worked out so well the last time they were tried.

Why does the left think they can set prices in health care, and set wages, and the system will just tick along as if nothing has happened?

Brothers and sisters of the left:  Open your eyes!  government is not the solution for absolutely everything, and health care in particular.

Even Krugman knows that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So what's worse? That she could be a dingbat...or that she could be an intelligent woman...dumbing herself down to appeal to the tea party right. After all..we all know the value that the Tea Party places on smart women...right?

You're mistaking a lack of polish for a lack of ability. The company that I work for is lead by an intellegent formidable woman who graduated from a community college and worked her way up from the lowest job you could have in this industry to be CEO. You could never mistake her for a Harvard grad but I'd take her ability, drive, and ambition over credentials ANY DAY.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Well..there is that I suppose. However..if that's the best thing about her..then she's in big trouble. When someone's main goal in life is to create confict..then even their friends and allies eventually start to find them tedious. Especially if there's not a lot of substance to back it up.

The irritation is not the source of the conflict.  Her common sense and success as a politician  makes liberal approaches look just dumb.  She solved the problems that democrats can only seem to complain about.  That irritates the left.

I mean, what's not to like about someone that expands the use of renewable energy, raises taxes on big oil, send the money directly to poor people so they can feed themselves or buy big screen TV's, their free to choose, and wipes out the old guard political class that wasn't getting it done?

You would think Liberals would lover her.  She did everything your guys crow about.

I think now you would rather talk about Krugman, eh?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

You're mistaking a lack of polish for a lack of ability. The company that I work for is lead by an intellegent formidable woman who graduated from a community college and worked her way up from the lowest job you could have in this industry to be CEO. You could never mistake her for a Harvard grad but I'd take her ability, drive, and ambition over credentials ANY DAY.

Actually..I don't think she has a lack of anything in truth. I think she is shrewd like a fox..and I think her schtick is simply part of that.