Unlike 'Mission Accomplished,' Press Barely Mentions Obama's 'JV Team' Ridicule of ISIS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Unlike 'Mission Accomplished,' Press Barely Mentions Obama's 'JV Team' Ridicule of ISIS

The press never let George W. Bush forget about that "Mission Accomplished" banner on the USS Abraham Lincoln after Saddam Hussein was overthrown and his government's military was routed in Iraq. They often pretend that Bush said it, or adopted it. He did no such thing, saying only that “Our mission continues.”

So while the press has come close to making a claim Bush 43 never made an article of faith, it is virtually ignoring something current U.S. President Barack Obama actually said, namely that, concerning ISIS, "The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant."

Just a few months later, Obama's Defense Secretary didnt think ISIS was the JV !!!

Defense secretary: ISIS threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is beyond "just a terrorist group" and poses a greater threat than al Qaeda, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Thursday.

"This is beyond anything that we've seen," he said during a briefing on Thursday afternoon about the Sunni militant group that has taken over territory in Iraq and Syria and earlier this week beheaded American journalist James Foley.

"ISIL is as sophisticated and well-funded as any group that we have seen," Hagel said, using another acronym for the group. "They marry ideology, a sophistication of strategic and tactical military prowess. They are tremendously well-funded."

"So we must prepare for everything. And the only way you do that is that you take a cold, steely, hard look at it ... and get ready," he said.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said it was possible to "contain" ISIS, but "not in perpetuity."

The fact is that Obama's "jayvee" comment in January in his own words was just wrong, flippant, and arrogant....

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2014/08/22/unlike-mission-accomplished-press-barely-mentions-obamas-jv-team-ridicul#ixzz3B9BKhD3X" rel="nofollow">http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2014/08/22/unlike-mission-accomplished-press-barely-mentions-obamas-jv-team-ridicul#ixzz3B9BKhD3X

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Unlike 'Mission Accomplished,' Press Barely Mentions Obama's 'JV Team' Ridicule of ISIS

The Bush White House created the Mission Accomplished banner.  Oh, and the war. Oh, and I suppose one could argue that the war, in turn, created ISIS by deposing Hussein, who, one could argue, was put into power by the last Republican administration.

More Republican foreign policy, please.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Unlike 'Mission Accomplished,' Press Barely Mentions Obama's 'JV Team' Ridicule of ISIS

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bush White House created the Mission Accomplished banner.  Oh, and the war. Oh, and I suppose one could argue that the war, in turn, created ISIS by deposing Hussein, who, one could argue, was put into power by the last Republican administration.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, the current President gets a mulligan from liberals, for, just about every one of his many failures, domestic and foreign...
    Laughing at your blaming Bush for ISIS....no big deal after all, ISIS is the JV Team, per our current foreign policy expert.... 

The ISIS member who decapitated an Amercian journalist may have been a Gitmo detainee...didnt you libs claim they were all innocent farmers at Gitmo , who had to be released immediately? Good call..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, the current President gets a mulligan from liberals, for, just about every one of his many failures, domestic and foreign...
    Laughing at your blaming Bush for ISIS....no big deal after all, ISIS is the JV Team, per our current foreign policy expert.... 

The ISIS member who decapitated an Amercian journalist may have been a Gitmo detainee...didnt you libs claim they were all innocent farmers at Gitmo , who had to be released immediately? Good call..

[/QUOTE]

I don't suppose you have anything to support the claim that the ISIS member was a Gitmo detainee?

FYI, I searched the new yorker 'javee' article for ISIS and ISIL and they were nowhere to be found.  Maybe you could shed some light on that as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Well, one way to look at it is that Obama is being whooped by the JV team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If one dead journalist is a 'whooping' how do you characterize what Hezbollah did to Reagan in Beirut?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong and wrong.  Oh, and wrong.  Why don't you try objectively using some of those "research skills".  The result might just surprise you.  It surprised me.

If the President's foreign policy is so strong, please explain to me why our troops have not come home yet.  Back in 2008 that was a pretty strong campaign promise. To be fair, the President's job is difficult beyond any reasonable explanation, and I don't think President Obama has done a bad job.  But I don't think he's done a great job either.

Oh, and just so you know, Saddam Hussein officially took control in July 1979. The President of the United States at the time was Jimmy Carter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If one dead journalist is a 'whooping' how do you characterize what Hezbollah did to Reagan in Beirut?

[/QUOTE]

Taking over a third of Syria, a third of Iraq, and moving on Kurdistan is a whooping. 

Reagan got shellacked in Beruit,but his foreign policy overall was a stunning success, leading to the collapse of the soviet empire. Compare that to Obama's full-scale retreat from the world stage, which is a dismal failure. Heck, hard to believe I'm saying this, but even Biden would have done a better job.

Obama believes America is the problem on the world stage, not evil.  That is just stupid.

yet another inconsistency in progressive thought: thinking peace comes through weakness and words.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from babytut. Show babytut's posts

"More Republican foreign policy, please."     (and quickly)

thank you. finally we agree on something.

and even more important, you are finally on the side of the large majority of americans instead of being out there in la-la land.

congratulations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to Rushfan2112's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong and wrong.  Oh, and wrong.  Why don't you try objectively using some of those "research skills".  The result might just surprise you.  It surprised me.

If the President's foreign policy is so strong, please explain to me why our troops have not come home yet.  Back in 2008 that was a pretty strong campaign promise. To be fair, the President's job is difficult beyond any reasonable explanation, and I don't think President Obama has done a bad job.  But I don't think he's done a great job either.

Oh, and just so you know, Saddam Hussein officially took control in July 1979. The President of the United States at the time was Jimmy Carter.

[/QUOTE]

If it were me I might just up and leave - put the world on notice that we're not beholden to the decisions of bad presidents from one term to the next.  al-Maliki's government doesn't deserve our support.  Obama feels a responsibility to withdraw gradually, and a responsibility to support the country against ISIS.  I can understand and respect that.  Either way, it's Bush's mess.  Bush invaded Iraq.  All fallout - remaining troops, al-Miliki, civil wars, ISIS - this is all on Bush, because without his actions, it would not in any way be our problem.

The Carter administration never had anything to do with Saddam Hussein.  The Reagan administration backed him in the Iran-Iraq war, supplied him with weapons, told him where to strike, and even lied on his behalf to the American people when he gassed his own people in Halabja - an incident that would later be used by the same liars as support for the Iraq invasion.  That was Reagan's mess.  Reagan backed Hussein.

Do you see the pattern here?  The only way to win in the Middle East is to get out of the Middle East.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Taking over a third of Syria, a third of Iraq, and moving on Kurdistan is a whooping. 

Reagan got shellacked in Beruit,but his foreign policy overall was a stunning success, leading to the collapse of the soviet empire. Compare that to Obama's full-scale retreat from the world stage, which is a dismal failure. Heck, hard to believe I'm saying this, but even Biden would have done a better job.

Obama believes America is the problem on the world stage, not evil.  That is just stupid.

yet another inconsistency in progressive thought: thinking peace comes through weakness and words.

[/QUOTE]

Why?  Why is it a whooping for the US if ISIS controls part of Syria?  Because they're encroaching on the territory of our good buddy Assad?  Why should we care at all?  And again - if we had never gone into Iraq, if there was an ISIS at all, wouldn't our good buddy Saddam Hussein be in the same boat?  Why not let them fight it out in a part of the world where fighting has always been the status quo? 

I'd argue we're never safer from terrorism than when the terrorists are busy fighting each other.  And the only time we lose is when we get too involved.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If it were me I might just up and leave - put the world on notice that we're not beholden to the decisions of bad presidents from one term to the next.  al-Maliki's government doesn't deserve our support.  Obama feels a responsibility to withdraw gradually, and a responsibility to support the country against ISIS.  I can understand and respect that.  Either way, it's Bush's mess.  Bush invaded Iraq.  All fallout - remaining troops, al-Miliki, civil wars, ISIS - this is all on Bush, because without his actions, it would not in any way be our problem.

The Carter administration never had anything to do with Saddam Hussein.  The Reagan administration backed him in the Iran-Iraq war, supplied him with weapons, told him where to strike, and even lied on his behalf to the American people when he gassed his own people in Halabja - an incident that would later be used by the same liars as support for the Iraq invasion.  That was Reagan's mess.  Reagan backed Hussein.

Do you see the pattern here?  The only way to win in the Middle East is to get out of the Middle East.

[/QUOTE]

Bush's mess? Was he around for the Crusades?
    The pattern is 1,300 years old...Radical Muslims want to invade and destroy Christianity and the West...whether the US wants to acknowledge it or not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bush's mess? Was he around for the Crusades?
    The pattern is 1,300 years old...Radical Muslims want to invade and destroy Christianity and the West...whether the US wants to acknowledge it or not.

[/QUOTE]

The pattern is Radical Muslims want to invade and destroy each other.  Any leader who thrusts his country in the middle of it is responsible for the fallout, as it relates to that country.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The Bush White House created the Mission Accomplished banner.

Indeed. To help celebrate the successful conclusion of the mission of the carrier that had graciously welcomed the President. And the turkey was real, not plastic.

This is why complaints that conservatives are hard on President Obama ring hollow.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Indeed. To help celebrate the successful conclusion of the mission of the carrier that had graciously welcomed the President. And the turkey was real, not plastic.

This is why complaints that conservatives are hard on President Obama ring hollow.

--

[/QUOTE]

Uh-huh.  So the fact that it was the backdrop of his photo-ops, that was just a co-incidence?  And his arrival via a Lockheed S3 Viking twin-engine jet wearing a flight suit - that was because the helicopter broke down and his suit was at the cleaners, right?  And Rumsfeld, on the same day, declaring major combat activities to be over - another coincidence?

This is why complaints from conservatives about President Obama smell hollow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

CLC: Powerful copy/paste you got right there in the OP.

Why didn't you warn us that ISIS was more serious than a "JV team" back when Obama made that comment?

Why would you let us proceed so blindly without alerting us to what was so obvious back then?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It would seem that you and I agree on certain things and disagree on others, which is not unexpected and I think healthy for a good discussion. It stopped being "Bush's mess" on January 20, 2009. The Bush administration had plenty of very good reasons and wide support for action. You may not want to believe that, and that's fine with me, but don't kid yourself into thinking that "Bush created this war". However, communication to the public was poorly managed during a time where the country was still reeling from the events of 9/11. President Bush deserves any criticism he gets for how badly communications were managed.

President Obama's campaign centered around bringing our troops home. And he's had 6+ years to make good on this promise and he's failed. Sure, some of the troops are coming home but what they're not telling you is those troops are being replaced. I know politicians make promises all the time that they never intend or aren't sure that they can keep, and its part of the game. So why should the president be any different? He's not. Politicians will be politicians long after this administration irrespective of their party affiliation.

You said one could argue Saddam Hussein was put into power by the last Republican administration. Obviously that's not true because Jimmy Carter was president at the time. Saddam Hussein rose to power without intervention by the US government. You don't seem to care about that, and the tenor of your post implies that you just want Saddam Hussein's government to be somehow related to or the fault of a Republican. Oh, and are you really sure that President Carter's administration had nothing to do with Iraq at the time?

We agree that the only solution here is to bring the troops home, now. But that's not going to happen and we both know it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE]

Uh-huh.  So the fact that it was the backdrop of his photo-ops, that was just a co-incidence?  And his arrival via a Lockheed S3 Viking twin-engine jet wearing a flight suit - that was because the helicopter broke down and his suit was at the cleaners, right?  And Rumsfeld, on the same day, declaring major combat activities to be over - another coincidence?

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it was a coincidence. Did you listen to the speech? I thought the same way, until I actually took the time to listen to what he had to say. Maybe you should do the same.

Regarding the flight suit, that's a simple explanation. If you recall, President Bush was a qualified fighter pilot and requested to sit up front. So at the time in that plane he was sitting in the copilot seat, and protocol dictates a flight suit. End of story. Was it a little dramatic? Yes. Was it posing for cameras? It sure was, it was a cowboy move. It was completely unnecessary when a perfectly comfortable helicopter or some other fixed wing could have easily done the job.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It would seem that you and I agree on certain things and disagree on others, which is not unexpected and I think healthy for a good discussion. It stopped being "Bush's mess" on January 20, 2009. The Bush administration had plenty of very good reasons and wide support for action. You may not want to believe that, and that's fine with me, but don't kid yourself into thinking that "Bush created this war". However, communication to the public was poorly managed during a time where the country was still reeling from the events of 9/11. President Bush deserves any criticism he gets for how badly communications were managed.

President Obama's campaign centered around bringing our troops home. And he's had 6+ years to make good on this promise and he's failed. Sure, some of the troops are coming home but what they're not telling you is those troops are being replaced. I know politicians make promises all the time that they never intend or aren't sure that they can keep, and its part of the game. So why should the president be any different? He's not. Politicians will be politicians long after this administration irrespective of their party affiliation.

You said one could argue Saddam Hussein was put into power by the last Republican administration. Obviously that's not true because Jimmy Carter was president at the time. Saddam Hussein rose to power without intervention by the US government. You don't seem to care about that, and the tenor of your post implies that you just want Saddam Hussein's government to be somehow related to or the fault of a Republican. Oh, and are you really sure that President Carter's administration had nothing to do with Iraq at the time?

We agree that the only solution here is to bring the troops home, now. But that's not going to happen and we both know it.

[/QUOTE]

How does anybody see Iraq as anything other than the choice of the Bush administration?  What change in world events, with respect to Iraq, occurred between Inauguration Day, 2001 and March 20, 2003 that suddenly made war imperative?  If you say 9/11, you'll have to draw the connection to Iraq, because otherwise you're just making my point - Bush using public fear to push his agenda.

Obama's campaign did not center around bringing the troops home.  In fact, in many ways it was just the opposite - he often used the phrase "as careful getting out as we were careless getting in."  I remember clearly because I didn't like it - I wanted to pull troops out entirely.  But he felt that we now have a responsibility to help support the Iraqi government.  This wasn't ideal for me, but a long sight better than the grumpy old man across the aisle singing songs about bombing Iran.

Saddam Hussein's government was not "somehow related" to a Republican administration.  He was Reagan's dog in the Iran-Iraq war.  The Reagan administration armed Hussein.  They told him where to strike.  They gave him classified intelligence.  They did it because Iraq was going to lose, and they thought Iran was the bigger threat at the time.  And they did it all without the consent of Congress.  This isn't some tin-foil conspiracy theory - it's all well-documented and verified.  If your point of contention is that without the Reagan administration, Hussein might have held power for about 5 minutes - OK, I'll give you that Pyrrhic victory, but it in no way changes the culpability of the administration for what Saddam Hussein would become.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

ISIL was created and is based in Syria ... that same Syria that is in the midst of a civil war ... that same Syria where this group is fighting the Assad regime ... and that same Syria which the wingnuts, led by Sens McCain and Graham, kept pushing for the US to send advanced weapons to support those same groups.

The wingnuts would have had us arming these terrorists ... now they're ranting about not doing enough to fight them.

How ironic ...

And then there's the fact that none of these terrorist groups existed until immediately after baby-Bush invaded and overthrew the Saddam regime and disbanded the military.

But I'm sure that's all one big coincidence ... has to be Obama's fault.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So Obama is to blame because the world is still dealing with Bush's bad decisions.  

reagan gave birth to Al Qaeda.  bush I turned Saddam a from an ally to an enemy,  and W gives birth to ISIS.  

Does anyone know how the myth about Repubs being strong on foreign policy got started?

the way to deal with ISIS in Iraq is to work with the Kurds.  Arm them.  And insert special forces to help provide close air support.  Use the same method we used at the start of the war in Afghanistan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it was a coincidence. Did you listen to the speech? I thought the same way, until I actually took the time to listen to what he had to say. Maybe you should do the same.

Regarding the flight suit, that's a simple explanation. If you recall, President Bush was a qualified fighter pilot and requested to sit up front. So at the time in that plane he was sitting in the copilot seat, and protocol dictates a flight suit. End of story. Was it a little dramatic? Yes. Was it posing for cameras? It sure was, it was a cowboy move. It was completely unnecessary when a perfectly comfortable helicopter or some other fixed wing could have easily done the job.

[/QUOTE]

OK, so a completely unnecessary cowboy move leading into a press conference with a 'mission accomplished' banner created by the white house in the backdrop.  You're saying it's unfair to consider that a victory lap?  

FYI, for comparison,  the OP is attributing a quote of Obama's to ISIS despite no mention of ISIS in the quote or anywhere in the sourced article.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that world events get set to zero the moment a new PotUS places his hand on the bible.

Obama did campaign on getting out of Iraq  ... but that decision had already been made by the previous admin when they signed the SoF agreement mandating all US troops out of Iraq by Dec 2011 ... oh sorry, I forgot,  those types of agreements don't carry over ... so Obama really wasn't bound by any previous agreements. Does that work with treaties as well?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm ... A PotUS pulling a PR stunt during a war that had barely started .... giving the impression, at the very least, that this Iraq war was going swimmingly and that major combat was over ... despite the fact that 90% of US casualties occurred after the Mission Accomplished PR stunt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Saddam Hussein's government was not "somehow related" to a Republican administration.  He was Reagan's dog in the Iran-Iraq war.  The Reagan administration armed Hussein.  They told him where to strike.  They gave him classified intelligence.  They did it because Iraq was going to lose, and they thought Iran was the bigger threat at the time.  And they did it all without the consent of Congress.  This isn't some tin-foil conspiracy theory - it's all well-documented and verified.  If your point of contention is that without the Reagan administration, Hussein might have held power for about 5 minutes - OK, I'll give you that Pyrrhic victory, but it in no way changes the culpability of the administration for what Saddam Hussein would become.

The main reason the baby-Bush admin thought they 'knew' Saddam had weapons of mass destruction is because the same people in Ronnie-raygun's admin who were instrumental in selling him the weapons ... along with the equipment to produce more.... were the same people who occupied key posts in baby-Bush's admin.

Kinda like planting evidence in a suspects house and then returning at a later date and using it as a pretext to arrest him ... except in the case of Iraq, they had already disposed of the evidence.

Sections
Shortcuts