U.S. Talks Tough on Syria, Ramps Up Attack Planning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

U.S. Talks Tough on Syria, Ramps Up Attack Planning

The Obama administration hardened its stance against Syria and stepped up plans for possible military action, dismissing as too late the regime's offer to let United Nations officials inspect areas where the U.S. believes Damascus used chemical weapons last week.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323407104579034633663263254.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

The White House and Pentagon signaled the U.S. wasn't backing away from a possible showdown despite apparent efforts by the Syrian government to ease tensions by letting U.N. inspectors visit areas near the capital where hundreds were killed, allegedly by chemical weapons.

If he decides to act militarily, Mr. Obama would prefer to do so with U.N. Security Council backing, but officials said he could decide to work instead with international partners such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization or the Arab League.

"We'll consult with the U.N. They're an important avenue. But they're not the only avenue," a senior administration official said.

---

I'm guessing that the usual suspects that have screamed "cowboy diplomacy!!!111!!!" and "Chickenhawk!!!111!!!" in the past will be a bit more understanding this time around...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: U.S. Talks Tough on Syria, Ramps Up Attack Planning

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

The Obama administration hardened its stance against Syria and stepped up plans for possible military action, dismissing as too late the regime's offer to let United Nations officials inspect areas where the U.S. believes Damascus used chemical weapons last week.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323407104579034633663263254.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

The White House and Pentagon signaled the U.S. wasn't backing away from a possible showdown despite apparent efforts by the Syrian government to ease tensions by letting U.N. inspectors visit areas near the capital where hundreds were killed, allegedly by chemical weapons.

If he decides to act militarily, Mr. Obama would prefer to do so with U.N. Security Council backing, but officials said he could decide to work instead with international partners such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization or the Arab League.

"We'll consult with the U.N. They're an important avenue. But they're not the only avenue," a senior administration official said.

---

I'm guessing that the usual suspects that have screamed "cowboy diplomacy!!!111!!!" and "Chickenhawk!!!111!!!" in the past will be a bit more understanding this time around...

An air strike with jets or drones was always going to happen ..... what do you want the US of A to do .... waste more of our young people blood ... all the KIAs and WIAs of  US Troops combined from dubya's war could fill a small US city btw I'm not even going to talk about the wartime profitering

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

I'm thinking it was just an oversight that they did not mention consulting CONGRESS. Eh, no problem, he's a librul, he means well.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

what do you want the US of A to do

Stay out of it. There is nothing to gain from intervening here,

Also, like Diogenes with his lamp, I'm just looking for an honest man.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think it's pretty clear that Syria has used chemical weapons on it's own people. If this is the case, then action should be taken.

However, this action needs to be at the direction of the UN..not the US.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

It appears the USA may launch an airstrike soon. This can be only viewed as 2 things.

1) Some strategic mostly inneffective bombing that sends a message of "we are upset and can't  or not willing to do anything significant about it but, we can blow up a few buidings and talk mean".

or 2) a sustained bombing attack designed to shift the war in the favor of the rebels. The problem is we do not know who the rebels are or what their intentions are for the syrian people if, they are victorious.

It is a f-ed up situation and I am not envious of Obama nor the people having to articulate these decisions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

The UN won't do anything because China and Russia will provide vetos in the security council and everyone knows that.  

Once that happens, the admin will turn to NATO and regional allies like Turkey (but not Israel) for legitimacy in moving forward with a strike plan.  

Congress will need to have a say and I am curious to see how our dysfunctional legislative branch will react.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

letting U.N. inspectors visit areas near the capital where hundreds were killed, allegedly by chemical weapons.

And had to turn back after being shot at by snipers.

The real question in all this mess is whether blowing a few things up is going to accomplish anything. Somehow, I doubt it.

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

[QUOTE]I'm thinking it was just an oversight that they did not mention consulting CONGRESS. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, because we have a long history of Presidents consulting congress before taking each and every action as Commander in Chief.

[/QUOTE]

So you do not believe Obama should consult Congress before attacking another country that represents no threat to our national security?

Interesting....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Congress will need to have a say and I am curious to see how our dysfunctional legislative branch will react.

Well, the House is full of evil neocons who no doubt can't wait to rain death and destruction down upon the head of poor Muslims because that just what they do.

AmIRight?

--

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]Congress will need to have a say and I am curious to see how our dysfunctional legislative branch will react.

Well, the House is full of evil neocons who no doubt can't wait to rain death and destruction down upon the head of poor Muslims because that just what they do.

AmIRight?

--

[/QUOTE]

Well, it is full of hawkish neocons many of whom have been clamoring for bombing runs over Syria for quite some time.  That said, when we look back at Libya and how those operations led to the ouster or the Qaddafi regime, the right was sniping at how things were being handled all the way up to Qaddafi's unceremonious killing by Libyan rebels.  (leading from behind and all that nonsense.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So you do not believe Obama should consult Congress before attacking another country that represents no threat to our national security?

Interesting....

You chose to miss the point.

Uninteresting....

[/QUOTE]

lol more of the same bs.

His obvious point is you just point out that previous POTUS have engaged other countries militarily without congressional approval without addressing your response then or lack of concern now.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

[QUOTE]

ACC >The debate over Iraq wasn't about the PotUS right to use military force, it was over the duplicitous way that they sold the American public on the justification for war.

I wish all these people that knew there were no WMD had told us.

I was in a sad, scared mode at the time !

We are having the same creditable mode today.

The Dome at work.

Some people did 'tell us' and the Bush admin attacked them, forcing a CIA operative to lose her job.

You don't remember former Ambassador Wilson and his debunking of the Niger yellowcake baloney, his wife Valerie Plame being outed from her CIA job as a consequence and Scooter Libby convicted of being involved in all of it?

[/QUOTE]

The foreign intel that the british stand behond as accurate to this day.

Scooter was convicted of obstruction of justice not outing of any CIA operative!

You'll think Scooter was guilty of more than he was convicted for but, yet you have no concern for Lois Lerner pleading the 5th.

That is why you do not matter.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Saddam was not threatening his neighbours and his WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea or Iran."

So saddam wasnt shooting scud missles in Israel?

He wasn't killing Kurds??

He wasn't torturing the shiite majority???

He was a freaking saint to those that hated bush lmao

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

what do you want the US of A to do

Stay out of it. There is nothing to gain from intervening here,

Also, like Diogenes with his lamp, I'm just looking for an honest man.

--

If you want an honest man look up Percy Pomeroy , convict 41144 . ... btw where did I say I support or I don't support our country intervening in Syria .... I just said that I expect it