VP sweepstakes: Who will it be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

VP sweepstakes: Who will it be?

I believe that if it's appeal politics: Mr. Rubio, tea party favorite, (also) telegenic, tea party favorite, southern (sort of), tea party favorite (OK, redundant on that account), conservative hispanic, tea party favorite, tight with Jeb Bush (The Establishment), tea party favorite. 

If it's muscle politics: Mr. Gingrich, who delivered the nomination to Mr. Romney, and would be like President Bush I's choice of Vice President Quayle, making the president virtually impeach-proof in any foe's mind.

Dark horse:  Ms. Haley, who has many cognate attributes to Mr. Rubio, but may have to do more to be ready for prime time.

No, Virginian, not Mr. McDonnell, another moderate from The Establishment.  It will have to be by The Establishment, not from The Establishment.  But wouldn't that be good enough?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be?

I'm going Rubio.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Mr Firewind,
    "cognate"? I need to look that word up.
    Gingrich as VP? Surely you joke.

You seem to have a disdain for the Tea Party...
    Bob McDonnell actually was quite a Tea Party favorite when he was elected Governor in 2009 with 59% of the vote.
    Is he too 'moderate'? He is off many VP lists now because supposedly he was too conservative in signing a bill regarding informed consent in abortions, requiring ultrasounds. The supposed "gender gap" and all.. fair or not, that is politics. 
    Though the climate may change in a few months, we shall see. Ohio Sen. Rob Portman is the flavor of the month, for now.
    McDonnell is a superstar and if even not picked for VP, still has a big future ahead, mark my words.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

OK, analogous.  And analogy on analogy, cognate is the same word in a different language.  Caution, there's more to this than, um, face value.

The Establishment needs a tea party favorite.  Plain and simple.  And it must be plain and simple.  That's all.

And taking a slightly different view of The Moment to which you refer:  Mr. McDonnell caved, way too famously and way too recently to remain eligible.  He pulled the bill to which so many had given their sacred hopes, honor and reputation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

And I will concede for the moment that Mr. McDonnell may end up being beatified for being the greatest governor Virginia ever had, though it may be tough to attain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Tough to do worse than the half-term quitter that the GOP picked last round. 

Hopefully they vet the VP candidate this time.  All it would have taken is to spend a day with Palin to see just how stupid and uninformed she was.  I guess McCain's team was too busy to do that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The republican establishment will pick a no-name, who will turn out to have a serious skeleton in its closet, or is simply inexperienced.

It's the republican way.

On the democrat side, look for a Biden/Hillary swapout.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

It will be Rubio despite the skeletons in his closet. But it won't matter, most Hispanics outside Miami know Rubio is a scum bag down to his bones

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be?:
    The republican establishment will pick a no-name, who will turn out to have a serious skeleton in its closet, or is simply inexperienced. It's the republican way. On the democrat side, look for a Biden/Hillary swapout.
    Posted by skeeter20

A serious skeleton will be found by the liberal media, whether it exists or not. You can count on it.
    The advice so far in the mainstream media seems to be that they should hide in a closet and wet themselves worrying about what the NY Times may say about the VP selection.
    Experienced VP ? How about Dick Cheney, he now has "heart".
    As Palin said, and she would know, they "won't know what hit them", experienced or not... 
    There is no 'safe' choice, the media attack hounds will be out. 
    (airborne post about  'wacko wingnut whining' in 3..2...1). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be? : A serious skeleton will be found by the liberal media, whether it exists or not. You can count on it. The advice so far in the mainstream media seems to be that they should hide in a closet and wet themselves worrying about what the NY Times may say about the VP selection. Experienced VP ? How about Dick Cheney, he now has "heart". As Palin said, and she would know, they "won't know what hit them", experienced or not...  There is no 'safe' choice, the media attack hounds will be out.  (airborne post about  'wacko wingnut whining' in 3..2...1). 
    Posted by BetheKoolaid

The vp candidate will also have some weird name, like Buckhold Trimfelder, and hail from a family in a southern state that made all their money prior to the civil war.  That's my bet.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I'd suggest one of Kelldog's house plants. It's got to do better than the current DS occupying that position.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be? : When's the last time there was a swapout for VP's?
    Posted by WhichOnesPink2

Last I can think of was FDR. Wallace for Truman.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be? : The conservative media bested them by uncovering that Obama is actually a Kenyan Muslim who is actively plotting to destroy America and kill its grandmothers.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

You had me at Kenyan Muslim...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be? : When's the last time there was a swapout for VP's?
    Posted by WhichOnesPink2

FDR, I think, for winnners.  You only have to go back to McGovern for losers.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

We are a sick nation,Just look at the hate post here. "Rubio scum bag" it's like the Red Socks /Yankees haters and  not who will do the best job.  Rubio will not be VP . Rubio is Smart and intelligent. This is a weird time in America,  the young entailment nation. Mamas basement Adult kids.                           Romney will seek a business type /> McDonnell    
    Posted by chiefhowie

Some would argue that the person labeling an entire generation as "entitled adult kids living in mom's basement" is the bigger hater than the person calling an individual a "scum bag'.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be? : I was stationed at South Weymouth naval Air. My wife was a big time supporter of Mc G. I handed out flyers on route 18. My young days, Government was my Idol. 
    Posted by chiefhowie

I was a big government guy when I was young as well.  worked on several democrat campaigns, including a current congressman.  Being a big liberal, I followed the Nixon people around the neighborhood as they went door-to-door.  I really saw them as evil.

Then, I examined the stub of my first real paycheck real close.  I woke up from the big lie of the left, that government is benevolent and good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be? : I was a big government guy when I was young as well.  worked on several democrat campaigns, including a current congressman.  Being a big liberal, I followed the Nixon people around the neighborhood as they went door-to-door.  I really saw them as evil. Then, I examined the stub of my first real paycheck real close.  I woke up from the big lie of the left, that government is benevolent and good.
    Posted by skeeter20

At what point does a guy like you say that taxes are low enough?  Income, corporate, and capital gains taxes are pretty much at 80 year lows. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

Christie or Rice would be my guess.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: VP sweepstakes: Who will it be? : We believe you.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

that makes me so happy! 

It is so sad when you try to dismiss the possiblity of someone having a different life story than the one you project onto them.  Thank you for not doing that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Christie or Rice would be my guess.
    Posted by Figment

Ms. Rice.  Hmmmmm....  She is absolutely loved, sanctioned, admired, trusted, blessed etc. etc. etc. by The Establishment -- e.g., the Bush family et al -- meaning "The Family" in the larger sense.  And she'd transcend the whole pesky tea party issue.  I'm almost ready to fold 'em re Mr. Rubio.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Jeb Bush just said he's interested.  This should clear the field.  Sorry, tea party.  But thanks for keeping the show on the road for the last three years.  We'll take it from here.  (Visualize the football firmly couched against the player's chest.)

But would The Republican Establishment's choice and The Republican Establishment on the same ticket work for the base?  It certainly would open the floodgates for contributions in support of the m.o. of The Republican Establishment's choice throughout the primaries (money and carpet-bombing).  So, maybe.

Which would also open the question:  How plausibly long before the Virginian changes his avatar?

Sections
Shortcuts