Warren and Markey are being unreasonable

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Warren and Markey are being unreasonable

A lot has been said about the lack of compromise in Congress...and especially about the obstructionist politics that the GOP has been playing for years. All of this criticism directed at Congress and at the far right specifically is justified. Boehner is a terrible speaker who has been unable to gain consensus even within his own caucaus.

That being said..it's only fair to point out when the left also engages in these antics. In this case it is our MA senators, Warren and Markey who are engaging in obsructionist politics.

Currently both MA Senators are opposing a bipartisan bill which would bring student loan rates more in line with the norm. As most of you know, student loan rates doubled on July 1st after Congress failed to take action to extend the 3.4% rate. The bill currently on the table would bring rates ( now at 6.8%) down to about 3.9%. Warren and Markey argue that this bill doesn't bring rates down low enough and would like to see the rates at .75%..the same rate the Federal government charges to banks when they lend them money. Huh..???? I might be sympathetic to the Warren/Markey position if they were fighting to bring rates down to the original 3.4%...but .75%??? Even I understand that there are costs associated with lending money and servicing a loan. Lowering rates to .75% is irresponsible and would jeapordize the entire program.

Warren and Markey should sign off on this bill. To do otherwise is playing politics with the tens of thousands of MA residents affected by this student loan rate issue. If Warren wants to have a conversation about lending rates to big bank..then by all means have it. However, stop holding this bill hostage and have a separate conversation.

Or..alternately...how about having a conversation about the underlying reasons for high student debt and the necessity to keep rates low? You know..the conversation that involves creating jobs..and our all time low average wages?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Warren and Markey are being unreasonable

Even left-leaning POLITICO called Sen Warren a "hardliner".

But of course, as pointed out, it is always Republicans who prevent compromise, if you believe the mainstream media.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ppannos. Show ppannos's posts

Senator Liawatha sounds more appropriate.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Now Mass has the dynamic duo; tweedledum and tweedledee

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

I would be on board with Warren and Markey if they were pushing to go back to the original 3.4% lending rate. This incredibly low rate has no chance of wide support and further, will not change most students decision about where to go.

It is true not all students can afford to go to private institutions. If you are going for a STEM degree you really do not need to go to a prestious college. If, however, you are going for a liberal arts degree, it certainly helps. Not my opinion. The opinion of many others. 

Know a lot of students who got a STEM degree at their state univerisity, then went on to places like Stanford, MIT, etc., for their masters with full scholarships.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

I really don't see the need for this.

First, the government should at least try to make enough back that it can eat losses from default without passing the cost on to the taxpayer.

Second, the problem is more the cost of tuition and not the interest on the loan. I'd like to hear from them exactly how many people are choosing not to go to school because of a possible 3.9 vs. 0.75 interest rate.

Third, the more easily available loan money is, the more free universities feel to jack up tuition. These loans are funding fancy campuses, not necessarily quality of education.

Fourth, simple reality is that not everyone can afford to go to an expensive private university, and frankly, what you put into your studies matters far more than where you conduct them. The main advantage to top schools is name recognition amongst employers who are impressed by names rather than performance.

I agree

it's easy to get a degree if you have the money.

Not about education any more.

[/QUOTE]

chiefhowie,

It is about eduation if you want to go into one of the STEM fields. With all due respect,  I ask you, how can you be in these fields without an education?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

First, the government should at least try to make enough back that it can eat losses from default without passing the cost on to the taxpayer.

Second, the problem is more the cost of tuition and not the interest on the loan. I'd like to hear from them exactly how many people are choosing not to go to school because of a possible 3.9 vs. 0.75 interest rate.

Third, the more easily available loan money is, the more free universities feel to jack up tuition. These loans are funding fancy campuses, not necessarily quality of education.

Fourth, simple reality is that not everyone can afford to go to an expensive private university, and frankly, what you put into your studies matters far more than where you conduct them. The main advantage to top schools is name recognition amongst employers who are impressed by names rather than performance.

I agree..the real issues that needs to be dealt with are the skyrocketing costs of college. Low interest rates..and easy borrowing only empower colleges and universities to raise prices to far over value. It's like the housing bubble all over again. Most colleges and universities are incredibly top heavy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to bigdog2's comment:

I said this: " living near cities like Boston and NYC tends to raise property values... "

And this: "I agree that if a suburb itself is a ghetto or quasi-ghetto, values in it aren't going to be much higher. Land/home prices obviously do not boil down to a one-factor analysis of proximity-to-city.

I am arguing against someone who seems to think that cities never add value to their surroudning suburbs. So that's why my responses look as they do."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/news/politics/general/detroits-bankruptcy-goes-far-beyond-its-city-limits/80/6747674?page=2

And you claim I said this:  "Houses in Roxbury having greater worth than houses in "middle Mass" is ridiculous."

?????

Don't speak to me about lying. Don't let that word roll of your tongue.

(QUOTE)

Funny, the BDC reknown hall monitor-tattle-tale showed up in this thread and miraculously all my posts are gone?  But.......gee, none of yours?  First time we`ve seen her today.

Hmmmmm!

As far as the lies WDYWN.................everyone here knows your lying game.  You fool none of us.    " tends "  BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Get your head out.

jmel,

Better think about this.

I have not reported a single post...not one...this year. (I cannot remember when I reported anything in the forums. Just the early months when you and pink were all over me with some pretty disgusting posts. So that was like 2 years ago.) Not even when one of trolls created a very disgusting screen name that included my name. A poster actually posted he reported him on an open thread for that.

You however were suspended more than once when a took a 4 month hiatus. Who did you blame those on?

Maybe you should think about the possibility that BDC is cleaning house. Also the possibility other posters are reporting you. I have no idea what was in your posts. If you feel they were wrongly deleted, they contact BDC to have them reinstated.

Two other posters were recently suspended with whom I get along fine. One of them twice. So Sherlock, what do you think happened there?

You think reporting posts is wrong. Well I think pointing fingers is equally wrong. So why do you not just knock it off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

I said this: " living near cities like Boston and NYC tends to raise property values... "

And this: "I agree that if a suburb itself is a ghetto or quasi-ghetto, values in it aren't going to be much higher. Land/home prices obviously do not boil down to a one-factor analysis of proximity-to-city.

I am arguing against someone who seems to think that cities never add value to their surroudning suburbs. So that's why my responses look as they do."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/news/politics/general/detroits-bankruptcy-goes-far-beyond-its-city-limits/80/6747674?page=2

And you claim I said this:  "Houses in Roxbury having greater worth than houses in "middle Mass" is ridiculous."

?????

Don't speak to me about lying. Don't let that word roll of your tongue.

(QUOTE)

Funny, the BDC reknown hall monitor-tattle-tale showed up in this thread and miraculously all my posts are gone?  But.......gee, none of yours?  First time we`ve seen her today.

Hmmmmm!

As far as the lies WDYWN.................everyone here knows your lying game.  You fool none of us.    " tends "  BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Get your head out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJXheCgkchw

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregStillinMeffa. Show GregStillinMeffa's posts

Someone wanna tell these 2 d-bags that the republican PASSED bill is Obama's?

The answer is no, and thats all you need to know.  I got 10 bucks that says Scott Brown would support the bill, but its a little unfair since I asked him. 

Dear college students, if ya voted for Warren and Markey, and you don't feel stupid yet, there's always Bunker Hill (a division of Medford High)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregStillinMeffa. Show GregStillinMeffa's posts

In response to GregStillinMeffa's comment:

Someone wanna tell these 2 d-bags that the republican PASSED bill is Obama's?

The answer is no, and thats all you need to know.  I got 10 bucks that says Scott Brown would support the bill, but its a little unfair since I asked him. 

Dear college students, if ya voted for Warren and Markey, and you don't feel stupid yet, there's always Bunker Hill (a division of Medford High)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Who says I was talking about you?

Who cares who you were talking about? It doesn't really matter, so long as you are venting this incredible store of rage you seem to have built up.

Where's concerned citizen? You're going to blow a few gaskets if he doesn't show soon...  

[/QUOTE]

I don't know.  I have my "reservations" about Warren.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregStillinMeffa. Show GregStillinMeffa's posts

Republicans passed the President's plan (he's a democrat, I hear) to stop interest rates from doubling on July 1.  Dems including Markey and Warren oppose it, Reid won't allow a vot on it, and its the republicans who obstructing.  I seeeeeeee.........

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Consider that most people who read the Globe are clueless progressives, who never see their ideas challenged, live in economic bubbles of state, univeristy, and institution employment, and consider their caste in life as being part of the elite, the rest of us just the great unwashed.

You'd be very surprised at the comments on this issue in the Globe (not BDC, but the actual digital news) site, following the article(s) this week.    Not that those comments don't get their fair share of "dislikes" and whatnot, but Warren has plenty of detractors.    There are many posters who are "regulars" who are not left-wingers, not even close.  They counter balance many discussions ... they give and take plenty of flak.    :)

BTW, the Globe editorial, published earlier this week on this issue,  did not support Warren.   Surprise.  :)     (note: Markey has no mind of his own and will do whatever Warren tells him to do, so he's not worth mentioning).   

It's moot now, since the compromise passed.    Maybe Lizzie will be humbled by this process and see what she's up against for real.   Better luck next time, Lizzie?  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Spot on.

One other item you can add to the list is collusion. Perhaps not deliberate but defacto. Compare tuition and fees at Ivy League schools. Virtually the same.