We need to Tax the Rich

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: We need to Tax the Rich

In Response to Re: We need to Tax the Rich:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We need to Tax the Rich : So, you say that the rich don't pay more is unfair. I ask if the top 4% paying 70% of the income tax is fair, And then you decide fairness is not the issue, moving the goal posts. you couldn't answer the question, could you? Should all peopl have equal wealth?  Earned or unearned?  Is it the role of government to redistributre others wealth to those who have not earned it? Is it fair to take from those who produce, and give it to those who, watch this now, won't produce?
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

No, that's not what I said...I said one conservative argument is that taxing the rich more is unfair...despite the fact of how unpopular that view actually is.  Most people view the fat cats in league with (at best) or pulling the strings of (at worst) lawmakers, and they're not wrong in either case.

Again, "fairness" is subjective.  However, that doesn't mean that the government should abdicate its obligation to support its most vulnerable citizens.  This last point is the true measure of any system of governance; as it happens, it's also enshrined in our constitution.  To put it more obtusely, helping our neighbors is the patriotic thing to do.

Now, we can certainly debate about how to go about addressing obvious inequalities, but personally I will continue to believe that neither the gov't nor private sectors have all the answers and that equitable partnerships between the two are the way forward.  Some gov't services should be privatized; some should not; others require joint efforts.

Repeat: it's counterfactual to argue that either problems or solutions lay with one sector over another when the interests of the nation are at stake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We need to Tax the Rich : No, that's not what I said...I said one conservative argument is that taxing the rich more is unfair...despite the fact of how unpopular that view actually is.  Most people view the fat cats in league with (at best) or pulling the strings of (at worst) lawmakers, and they're not wrong in either case. Again, "fairness" is subjective.  However, that doesn't mean that the government should abdicate its obligation to support its most vulnerable citizens.  This last point is the true measure of any system of governance; as it happens, it's also enshrined in our constitution.  To put it more obtusely, helping our neighbors is the patriotic thing to do. Now, we can certainly debate about how to go about addressing obvious inequalities, but personally I will continue to believe that neither the gov't nor private sectors have all the answers and that equitable partnerships between the two are the way forward.  Some gov't services should be privatized; some should not; others require joint efforts. Repeat: it's counterfactual to argue that either problems or solutions lay with one sector over another when the interests of the nation are at stake.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

So, you think the top 4% paying 70% of the income tax is fair?

If you think so, then fair, as subjective as you want to make it, is a completely meaningless term.

Fair to you means take whatever you want, then put a nice little term around it like "fair" so no one will complain.

I'll tell you what more taxes on top of the 70% paid by the top 4% is:  Theft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We need to Tax the Rich : So, you think the top 4% paying 70% of the income tax is fair? If you think so, then fair, as subjective as you want to make it, is a completely meaningless term. Fair to you means take whatever you want, then put a nice little term around it like "fair" so no one will complain. I'll tell you what more taxes on top of the 70% paid by the top 4% is:  Theft.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Again, fairness is subjective, but that doesn't make it meaningless.  It's perceptive and changes depending on the question and point-of-view.

Like it or not, the numbers you quote are a product of a manipulation of the free market, in which the many work increasingly harder for the accumulated wealth of a very few elite.

You may think that the taxes are unfair, but the fact that 90% of the wealth is concentrated in the top 1 or 2% is fair.  That's a contradiction and a fallacy.  By free market principles, those who make the most money should pay the most taxes.

The real question is whether the amount they pay in taxes is commensurate with the amount of their income.  The fact remains that when tax rates were higher, incomes were more equal; the rich now pay less, historically, then they ever have before.  It's not surprising they like it that way, but that's in their interest and not necessarily in the nation's interest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We need to Tax the Rich : Pssssst. You aren't allowed to say "rich" any more. Now you say "job creator." Didn't you get the memo?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]
    Psssst, you aren't allowed to say taxes... it's revenue generation

Sections
Shortcuts