What could go wrong?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

What could go wrong?

In an initiative aimed at rooting out future leakers and other security violators, President Barack Obama has ordered federal employees to report suspicious actions of their colleagues based on behavioral profiling techniques that are not scientifically proven to work, according to experts and government documents.

The techniques are a key pillar of the Insider Threat Program, an unprecedented government-wide crackdown under which millions of federal bureaucrats and contractors must watch out for “high-risk persons or behaviors” among co-workers. Those who fail to report them could face penalties, including criminal charges.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/09/196211/linchpin-for-obamas-plan-to-predict.html#.Ud1s2VNJ7Jx

How would you like to be in that kind of work environment every day?

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/09/196211/linchpin-for-obamas-plan-to-predict.html#.UdzPIlOhUeM#storylink=cpy

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: What could go wrong?

Snitches get stitches! lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

SB,

What could go wrong??? They have got to be kidding. I could write let me count the number of things but, I do not have the initiative right now after reading this.

Comparisons to Hitler's Germany come to mind as well as Joe McCarthy. Not to mention Whitey Bulger and "The Sopranos".

Big corporate and sports slogan...There is no I in Team. Well, there will be no team work with the kind of paranoia and mistrust this will likely lead to. 

Now who wants a "cushy" government job?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

WASHINGTON — In an initiative aimed at rooting out future leakers and other security violators, President Barack Obama has ordered federal employees to report suspicious actions of their colleagues based on behavioral profiling techniques that are not scientifically proven to work, according to experts and government documents.

The techniques are a key pillar of the Insider Threat Program, an unprecedented government-wide crackdown under which millions of federal bureaucrats and contractors must watch out for “high-risk persons or behaviors” among co-workers. Those who fail to report them could face penalties, including criminal charges.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/09/196211/linchpin-for-obamas-plan-to-predict.html#.Ud1s2VNJ7Jx

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/09/196211/linchpin-for-obamas-plan-to-predict.html#.UdzPIlOhUeM#storylink=cpy

Although not exactly the same, many of us already live with this everyday in the private sector, as part of the ethics contract signed at the time of employment.  Its usually called a whistleblower clause.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

The module being mentioned, employees monitoring other employees, is troublesome for many reasons, but mostly because some of the "signs" a potential leaker may exhibit could be very run of the mill traits that many people have.  For example, here are some of the traits that may be indicative of something wrong:

Drug use

Conflicts with coworkers, supervisor

Aggressive or violent behavior

Web surfing, chat rooms at work

Mood swings

Bizarre behavior

Used organization’s computers for personal business

Poor performance

EEO complaint

Absence/tardiness

Sexual harassment

Poor hygiene

While most of these behaviors may be cause for HR to intervene or in extreme cases terminate an employee these don’t necessarily mean anything more than a particular employee may be a jerk, lazy, or has a substance abuse problem.  Certainly you don’t want folks with some of these traits working with sensitive data becauseif they are a drug addict for example, they could be compromised or blackmailed into turning over secrets to avoid disclosure of their problems.  But again, these traits alone shouldn’t single out someone for further investigation as potential leaker, unless further digging (typically through an HR coaching reveals other information).

There are better ways using technology and implementing better controls over information flow that can prevent access to sensitive data by those intending to release it publically or to other parties that shouldn’t have it.  So my guess is this program is actually a subcomponent of several other modules that combined represent the full effort at maintaining data security. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Seems the worse is it may open the door for alot of bogus claims due to vidictiveness or other bad reasons to put a negative spotlight on co-workers.

I would think people need training to make a decision about "unusual behavior" or "mood swings"

I mean damn, some people (like me) are just weird but, not a spy or someone that wants to hurt the govt.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

That's pretty funny. I'm glad I saw it before it gets deleted.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

It would help if you directly replied to said post. I'm sorry that the quote came from the link provided by you.

I meant the poster image. The Manning situation isn't funny in any way but, then again, neither is over reacting to it. I don't think that turning the federal workplace into an East German style dystopia is going to be helpful.

In addition, the Obama administration has used leaks on several occasions to make themselves look good so they've pretty much lost the "absolute moral authority" card on this one.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

You vill all be reported to zee ausorities for your skeptical attitudes!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

WASHINGTON — In an initiative aimed at rooting out future leakers and other security violators, President Barack Obama has ordered federal employees to report suspicious actions of their colleagues based on behavioral profiling techniques that are not scientifically proven to work, according to experts and government documents.

Hello? I'd like to report a suspicious government employee.  He is hardly ever at work, spends an inordinate amount of time playing golf, and clearly misuses government property.  I also question his pychological fitness for his position, as he has accused police of acting stupidly, and claims that if he had a son, he would look like Travon.