What is too much government intrusion in our lives?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rootiment. Show rootiment's posts

What is too much government intrusion in our lives?

I profess that too much government intrusion always surfaces as a campaign issue by the party that is out of power at any given time.

To those who say we need to scale back government because it is the Obama administration's goal to insert the government in more aspects of our lives I can give you just as many examples of Republican administrations who have advanced government intrusion in our lives.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives?

If the federal government followed the constitution we'd be much better off.  The simple test, make no law that removes personal liberties unless it is a matter of another's personal security (these are nanny-state laws).  We of course need laws concerning business, banking and commerce, but generally here less is better. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Basically, it's OK for the government to intrude into other peoples lives but not mine.  Or rather, it's OK for the Government to be intrusive if I agree with the level and type of intrusion.

For right wing nuts, Gov't intrusion is OK in the bedroom, on my computer, phone, in my personal life - making them get health insurance is an outrage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives?:
    [QUOTE]. For right wing nuts, Gov't intrusion is OK in the bedroom, on my computer, phone, in my personal life - making them get health insurance is an outrage.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

In 100% agreement there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]Basically, it's OK for the government to intrude into other peoples lives but not mine.  Or rather, it's OK for the Government to be intrusive if I agree with the level and type of intrusion. For right wing nuts, Gov't intrusion is OK in the bedroom, on my computer, phone, in my personal life - making them get health insurance is an outrage.

For right wing nuts, Gov't intrusion is OK in the bedroom, on my computer, phone, in my personal life - making them get health insurance is an outrage.

Huh? In what capacity do you assume conservatives want the govt to intrude in the bedroom? That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long time.
    And who wants govt on their computer or phone? No one I know. I have never heard anyone say they welcome the govt to intrude on any of those things. You've got some splaining to do Lucy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rootiment. Show rootiment's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : For right wing nuts, Gov't intrusion is OK in the bedroom, on my computer, phone, in my personal life - making them get health insurance is an outrage. Huh? In what capacity do you assume conservatives want the govt to intrude in the bedroom? That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long time. And who wants govt on their computer or phone? No one I know. I have never heard anyone say they welcome the govt to intrude on any of those things. You've got some splaining to do Lucy.
    Posted by hawkeye01[/QUOTE]

I think Dirtywater may be referring to government enacting laws that prevent affording same sex couples the exact same marriage rights as opposite sex couples.  This may have been what the "bedroom"" comment was in reference to.  Do you feel that government has the right to restrict marriage laws to only one man and one woman as many movements are seeking to do?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : I think Dirtywater may be referring to government enacting laws that prevent affording same sex couples the exact same marriage rights as opposite sex couples.  This may have been what the "bedroom"" comment was in reference to.  Do you feel that government has the right to restrict marriage laws to only one man and one woman as many movements are seeking to do?
    Posted by rootiment[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah....those laws that Democrats passed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : I think Dirtywater may be referring to government enacting laws that prevent affording same sex couples the exact same marriage rights as opposite sex couples.  This may have been what the "bedroom"" comment was in reference to.  Do you feel that government has the right to restrict marriage laws to only one man and one woman as many movements are seeking to do?

It isn't just that. The right has long been in favor of restricting things like pronography, drug use, the right to exchange sex for money (the left has too, but much less so). True liberals are for relaxing our drug laws, legalizing prostittution, gambling, etc. I do think there is a shift as more libertarians move to the republicans. But there is definitely a strong socially conservative streak on the right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rootiment. Show rootiment's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : Oh yeah....those laws that Democrats passed.
    Posted by schadenfreude99[/QUOTE]

Not sure what laws you are referring to, any examples? based on Dirtywaterlover's assertion?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I don't think the government has any business getting involved in marriages period.  It has nothing to do with national security or commerce therefore the government shouldn't be involved.

Currently, a man can live with as many women as will have him as long as he is married to only one at a time.

The issue shouldn't be whether gays can have civil unions and heteros can be married.  The issue should be that Civil Unions are the only option for anyone.

Let religions define marriage anyway they want. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I think when they took the transfats out of donuts, that was the deciding factor that caused Obama/Pelosi/Reid to come unravelled.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

I don't care if you marry your pet goldfish. To each his/her own when it comes to who you want to marry.
    But if he were referring to gay marriage then why does he blame conservatives? Wasn't it a Dem president who signed DOMA?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : Not sure what laws you are referring to, any examples? based on Dirtywaterlover's assertion?

Defense of Marriage Act

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]I think when they took the transfats out of donuts, that was the deciding factor that caused Obama/Pelosi/Reid to come unravelled.
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

Really, you think changing the ingredients of donuts impacted Obama/Pelosi/Reid?  I would have thought that Rove and Limbaugh would be the ones who were sensitive about what went into their donuts.

Doesn't Rove look a lot like the original Porky Pig? 

Actually Rove looks like the results of Satan having sex with a pig.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : Defense of Marriage Act

That was introduced by a republican. Passed by a republican congress (and the nays were predominantly democrat), and signed by a democrat president (one who was famous for taking a right turn when the republicans regained power).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rootiment. Show rootiment's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : I don't think the government has any business getting involved in marriages period.  It has nothing to do with national security or commerce therefore the government shouldn't be involved. Currently, a man can live with as many women as will have him as long as he is married to only one at a time. The issue shouldn't be whether gays can have civil unions and heteros can be married.  The issue should be that Civil Unions are the only option for anyone. Let religions define marriage anyway they want. 

I see what you mean.  Not to belabor the marriage issue, it seems to me that government decides who among us may officiate marriage ceremonies which also should not be the role of government.  No one's health and safety are at risk by allowing anyone to perform a marriage rite.  If two people appear before the civil authorities and declare they are married and sign statements to that effect then they are married; no one else needs to be involved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rootiment. Show rootiment's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : I don't care if you marry your pet goldfish. To each his/her own when it comes to who you want to marry. But if he were referring to gay marriage then why does he blame conservatives? Wasn't it a Dem president who signed DOMA?
    Posted by hawkeye01[/QUOTE]

Please be clear this forum is not addressing "blame" or which person or party signed which law.  We are discussing government intrusion.  The original premise was that the out-of-power party always criticizes the in-power party for too much government intrusion.  There are plenty of exampl,es of both parties passing laws that can be construed as too much government intrusion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : Defense of Marriage Act

Wasn't that law "Passed" by house and senate controlled by the Republicans?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]Basically, it's OK for the government to intrude into other peoples lives but not mine.  Or rather, it's OK for the Government to be intrusive if I agree with the level and type of intrusion. For right wing nuts, Gov't intrusion is OK in the bedroom, on my computer, phone, in my personal life - making them get health insurance is an outrage.

A lot of agreement, but I have no problem with the patriot act which intercepts/screens questionable; phone calls and computer use.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

1) Do you actually know anyone that cares about what you do in your bedroom? God knows I don't.

2) AFAIK it's Democrats interested in curtailing what you can do with your computer: Bloggers Beware – They’re Coming After You!

3) Your phone? I think that you have a beef with both parties on this : www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/07/13">EFF Faces Off Against Obama Administration in Jewel v. NSA

4) And, of course, I have no doubt that your personal life is vastly interesting but unfortunatly I have no interest whatsoever.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : 1) Do you actually know anyone that cares about what you do in your bedroom? God knows I don't. 2) AFAIK it's Democrats interested in curtailing what you can do with your computer: Bloggers Beware – They’re Coming After You! 3) Your phone? I think that you have a beef with both parties on this : www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/07/13 " /> EFF Faces Off Against Obama Administration in Jewel v. NSA 4) And, of course, I have no doubt that your personal life is vastly interesting but unfortunatly I have no interest whatsoever.
    Posted by StalkingButler[/QUOTE]

Silly me, all this time I thought it was the Republicans that demonized gays. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rootiment. Show rootiment's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is too much government intrusion in our lives? : 1) Do you actually know anyone that cares about what you do in your bedroom? God knows I don't. 2) AFAIK it's Democrats interested in curtailing what you can do with your computer: Bloggers Beware – They’re Coming After You! 3) Your phone? I think that you have a beef with both parties on this : www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/07/13 " /> EFF Faces Off Against Obama Administration in Jewel v. NSA 4) And, of course, I have no doubt that your personal life is vastly interesting but unfortunatly I have no interest whatsoever.
    Posted by StalkingButler[/QUOTE]

#1 Unfortunately, yes.  Many Christians feel it is a tenet of their faith to save humankind by making others abide by their beliefs when it comes to what goes on in people's bedrooms based on how they interpret their sacred scriptures.  I personally know people who believe i should not use contraception of any kind during intercourse which seems to indicate they have and interest in what happens in my bedroom.  At one point in the history of this country these same believers had laws on the books that forbake sexual relations between the races and between same sex consenting adults.  So yes they do seem to have an interest in other peoples bedroom activities.

#2 Not sure which political party would like to monitor my computer, and or phone use.  But by the very fact that we are discussing this it seems to be something others have considered as a function of government to "protect" us.