What's up with the "war on christmas" this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

What's up with the "war on christmas" this year?

Is it tired? Has FOX quit? Broken and battered? Bill O'really giving up the fight, or am I just listening to the wrong channels? Mebbe the election loss has taken the wind out of the faux insanity?

If someone says to me Happy Holidays, instead of Merry Christmas, should I no longer lose my shite and go ballistic?

What to do?

Some curfuffle in R.I. but Chafee is still ducking the wingnut Schilling scandel. 

Where is the outrage? Where?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Re: What's up with the

No worries here, Barbie. What's your beef this year?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it tired? Has FOX quit? Broken and battered? Bill O'really giving up the fight, or am I just listening to the wrong channels? Mebbe the election loss has taken the wind out of the faux insanity?

If someone says to me Happy Holidays, instead of Merry Christmas, should I no longer lose my and go ballistic?

What to do?

Some curfuffle in R.I. but Chafee is still ducking the wingnut Schilling scandel. 

Where is the outrage? Where?

[/QUOTE]

O'Reilly was ranting about the war just the other day, but Fox is really the only place you hear about it anymore.

Fortunately, the unaffiliated, the agnostic, the atheist and the religiously indifferent population is growing in America, and they will slowly help push the right-wing bible crowd to the margins of society, right where they belong...away from public policy

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think people are starting to realize that the real war on Christmas is the one in which retailers have hijacked the holiday to boost their bottom line...( sorry..could not resist!)

I have to say..I've never understood how people can say there is a war on Christmas...the same people who refer to the poor as lazy takers..spending their lives looking for a handout.

I had this debate with my cousin's husband a couple of weeks ago. I told him it doesn't bother me when people wish me Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. The well wishes are still the same. People get too caught up in the words used instead of the sentiment behind them.

I love the Christmas season..I love everything about it. But.....people need to understand that most of the things we love about Christmas are secular ( Santa Clause, the tree, etc).

Back to my husband's cousin...it appears I won that particular debate when I asked him when was the last time he went to Mass on Christmas eve...or Christmas day...and when I asked him what he thought was important about Advent traditions. ( He couldn't even tell me what Advent was....!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

well at least we know who fox news viewers really are!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Happy Saturnalia.

I wonder if way back when the Romans moved the observance of Christ's birth to Saturnalia, did the Christians complain or did the worshippers of the old Gods complain?  Were there bumber stickers on chariots with, "Keep the Saturn in Saturnalia"?

As and FYI, the whole gift giving thing on Christmas, is from Saturnalia.  They were already doing it on Saturnalia, and continued the practice when they basically change Saturnalia to Christmas.

So all you Bible-thumpers, when you light your glass of Egg Nog at the Christmas toast, you're really toasting Saturn.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Happy Saturnalia.

I wonder if way back when the Romans moved the observance of Christ's birth to Saturnalia, did the Christians complain or did the worshippers of the old Gods complain?  Were there bumber stickers on chariots with, "Keep the Saturn in Saturnalia"?

As and FYI, the whole gift giving thing on Christmas, is from Saturnalia.  They were already doing it on Saturnalia, and continued the practice when they basically change Saturnalia to Christmas.

So all you Bible-thumpers, when you lift your glass of Egg Nog at the Christmas toast, you're really toasting Saturn.

[/QUOTE]

Boy you really got em with that....hahahaha

[/QUOTE]

Boy you really got me that......hahahaha

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In case you missed it...

O’Reilly bashes ‘fascist’ atheist: Christianity not a religion, so Christmas displays are OK.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/28/oreilly-bashes-fascist-atheist-christianity-not-a-religion-so-christmas-displays-are-ok/#.ULbs6sYDwvY.reddit

[/QUOTE]

Bizarre commentary by O'Reilly.  Christianity is not a religion, but a philosophy instead...  Huh?  You can make an argument that Christmas with all its secular symbols (Santa, etc.) is not religious, but Christianity sure has a lot of God stuff attached to it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In case you missed it...

O’Reilly bashes ‘fascist’ atheist: Christianity not a religion, so Christmas displays are OK.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/28/oreilly-bashes-fascist-atheist-christianity-not-a-religion-so-christmas-displays-are-ok/#.ULbs6sYDwvY.reddit

[/QUOTE]

Bizarre commentary by O'Reilly.  Christianity is not a religion, but a philosophy instead...  Huh?  You can make an argument that Christmas with all its secular symbols (Santa, etc.) is not religious, but Christianity sure has a lot of God stuff attached to it.

[/QUOTE]

If Christianity is just a philosophy, then maybe we should be taxing them?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I learned to hate Christmas.

Then I got even smarter and learned to ignore it.

Then I went one step further and had some fun with it.

I laugh at the dimwits who think they need to wrap their entire house with lights....thus causing an extreme fire hazard. I laugh at the people who spend their December evenings at the crowded mall buying stupid sh*t that the stores would never be able to sell if the Holidays didn't exist, because frankly, it's all useless cr*p. I laugh at the people who pu huge wreaths on the grill of the car or truck , blocking the air flow and risking having the car overheat. I laugh at the people who say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish man...or an Atheist.

War on Christmas?....nah.

Sections
Shortcuts