Where is the compromise and leadership Mr. President??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Where is the compromise and leadership Mr. President??

The republicans should just give him what he wants and let him take ownership(blame) for the economy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Fact: Nothing has changed. Obama is still president, The senate is still dems, and the house is still reps.

If nothing could be agreed on before, and nothing has changed, then what makes any of you think things will suddenly change now?

And, on the matter of the cliff, I blame Obama on this one, for he did one thing that you should never do when in politics. He drew a line in the sand as soon as he won the election.

Not for nothing, but if I was a rep in the house, I'd let the country go over the cliff, for you chose to challenge me instead of asking me for help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The republicans should just give him what he wants and let him take ownership(blame) for the economy.

[/QUOTE]

Our Florida representative here has a clever point.  There is a mirror version of this, too.  The strength of the mirror version is that it's obvious the side that has been hammering re the deficit since the end of the Bush II presidency -- the basis and impetus of the fiscal cliff.

But looking at this on another level, there is a premise that is yet to be proven.  There is no evidence that Speaker Boehner represents his party in the House in this game.  This premise will not be proven until there is a deal that sticks.  

Now, if there is a deal, it will be a huge win for Speaker Boehner.  He will have consolidated his power, and can begin removing more tea partiers from important positions.  

Thanks to the president.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tvoter's comment:

So now compromise and leadership are defined as "flopping on your campaign promises and signing whatever the opposing party puts in front of you" ??

[/QUOTE]

lol, no  of course not! He campaigned on 800 billion of additional revenue NOT the 1.6 trillion he is demanding now.

He campaigned on reaching out the other party and sharing ideas NOT drawing a line in the sand and saying this is what I demand; it is much more than I originally said and it is non negotiable!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tvoter's comment:

lol, no of course not! He campaigned on 800 billion of additional revenue NOT the 1.6 trillion he is demanding now. He campaigned on reaching out the other party and sharing ideas NOT drawing a line in the sand and saying this is what I demand; it is much more than I originally said and it is non negotiable!

Just quit lying!!! 

If ya can't argue facts, then shut up.

Just because you whacko wingnuts have this anti-facts filter built into whatever happens here in reality doesn't mean your ignorance is the new normal. 

April 17, 2012 
    "If Americans think today's tax day is painful, just wait until a second Obama term. With more than half a trillion dollars in Obama tax hikes already set to hit the economy in 2013, President Obama wants to add trillions more in higher taxes. After three straight years of chronic unemployment and slow economic growth, Americans can't afford four more years of Barack Obama's job-destroying policies."  Andrea Saul, Romney Campaign Spokesperson

Feb 13, 2012
     " ...the president would raise $1.5 trillion in added tax revenue over 10 years, mainly from higher taxes on wealthier Americans.  He would allow the Bush tax cuts to expire on families earning more than $250,000 a year and impose a new minimum tax of 30 percent on millionaires, which the administration has called the "Buffett Rule."
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/obama-budget-doubles-down-on-populist-proposals/

February 15, 2012
     To Pay For Even More Federal Spending, President Obama's 2013 Budget Includes $1.5 Trillion In New Tax Hikes
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204883304577221342883636060.html

[/QUOTE]

Do you know the difference in news articles and campaign promises?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to undead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And, on the matter of the cliff, I blame Obama on this one, for he did one thing that you should never do when in politics. He drew a line in the sand as soon as he won the election.

[/QUOTE]

Did he, really...??

Many would argue the voters drew it for him.

A line nearly 5 million votes longer, by some accounts....

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

Taxes for 100% of the country will increase on Jan 1 if nothing is done.

Obama proposes keeping taxes at current rates for 98% of the country.

Who's not compromising

[/QUOTE]

Obama wants 1.6 trillion in new revenues with no spending cuts just reductions in increases over the next 10-20 years and he wants the authority to raise the debt limit without congressional approval!

The house countered with their plan and now BOTH are just doing nothing except blaming the other!

If taxes go up for everyone after Jan 1 and govt spending is cut accross the board it is BOTH Obama and the house at fault equally because neither has leadership abilities!

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Taxes for 100% of the country will increase on Jan 1 if nothing is done.

Obama proposes keeping taxes at current rates for 98% of the country.

Who's not compromising?

[/QUOTE]

So, the Bush tax cuts are good?  That's a change in thought process from the left.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

75% of Obama's proposed tax hike to go towards NEW spending!!

wtf SERIOUSLY??

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/75-percent-obamas-proposed-tax-hikes-go-toward-new-spending_666067.html

"Our spending is growing. It is not decreasing. It is already projected to grow, but the President's proposal is to have it grow even faster than the law currently calls for."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did he, really...??

[/QUOTE]

The voters did not tell him to draw a line in the sand. He will get the blame for doing that himself.

The question is whether or not the republicans will bow to Obama's demands. As I said, if I was a rep in the house and heard that interview, I would tell Obama straight up to find funding elsewhere. You do not tell the guys (and girls) holding the checks how to spend the money by holding a gun to their head, which is what you're doing when you draw a line in the sand.

I see this as a huge mistake on Obama's part. All he had to do was reach out his hand and I do believe the house and senate would've worked together to get something done that he would sign, but, for whatever reason, he put his foot down, and this time I believe he put it down squarely on the USA. We will all pay for this one, and the republicans will not take all the blame for this one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did he, really...??

[/QUOTE]

The voters did not tell him to draw a line in the sand. He will get the blame for doing that himself.

The question is whether or not the republicans will bow to Obama's demands. As I said, if I was a rep in the house and heard that interview, I would tell Obama straight up to find funding elsewhere. You do not tell the guys (and girls) holding the checks how to spend the money by holding a gun to their head, which is what you're doing when you draw a line in the sand.

I see this as a huge mistake on Obama's part. All he had to do was reach out his hand and I do believe the house and senate would've worked together to get something done that he would sign, but, for whatever reason, he put his foot down, and this time I believe he put it down squarely on the USA. We will all pay for this one, and the republicans will not take all the blame for this one.

[/QUOTE]

What about the past two years gave you that idea?  You think the gop is somehow more accomodating now that they failed to take the senate and white house, all while their safe gop districts become even more entrenched?

And I suggest the question is still this totally theoretical line that you say Obama drew.  How so?

When have the republicans ever taken responsibility for anything that occurred on their watch, much less the great recession...??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to skeeter20's comment:

So, the Bush tax cuts are good?  That's a change in thought process from the left.

Who said that?

No the problem is more that once people have based their expectations on the continued existence of the Bush tax cuts, it becomes unwise to raise them in a somewhat fragile recovery.

If the economy were humming along but we were still running big defecits, there wouldn't be a problem letting them go back to Clinton rates, coupled with spending cuts.

But this is a pragmatic point, not ideological point. So you probably won't get it.

[/QUOTE]

No, I get it.  What I don't get is why it is OK to raise taxes on the top 2% of wager earners, given your position.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Boehner was willing to make a deal the minute Obama won. Obama demanded, on tape, and all over the news, a specific condition. That's drawing a line in the sand.

As for what I said I'd do if I were a rep in the house, that would be no different than what has been done in the last two years. In fact, there's a lot of people out there that want to see the country go over the cliff, just to hang it over Obama's head, and because he drew the line, he will take a fair share of the blame for this one.

When you take a stance in politics, it's the same as betting on the races. Obama thinks that the reps now have to deal with him. If they don't, the country takes a massive hit that's going to make 2008 look like kindergarden. However, is that enough to force a republican to change his ways? To allow for the dems to get what they want?

We find out in a few weeks, and I don't even give this a 50/50 shot at passing anymore.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I hate to break this to you 12 but the minority may break the financial stability of the country. The House is responding to the 35%, not the 60%, and the house makes the budget, not the president, so everyone will lose this one.

Just because John Q. Public speaks, doesn't mean the politicians have to listen.

WDYWN, I do understand your point, but Obama had a choice and he made the wrong one. It's far easier to get something done with a kind word than it is with a defiant shout.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]
    No the problem is more that once people have based their expectations on the continued existence of the Bush tax cuts, it becomes unwise to raise them in a somewhat fragile recovery.

[/QUOTE]

"Somewhat fragile economy" LOL you are out of touch

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

Obama's proposal:

$600 billion in additional cuts in mandatory spending: $326 billion in health programs, including Medicare and Medicaid, and $254 billion in other programs, such as farm subsidies.

Caps on discretionary spending which will reduce future spending by an estimated $1 trillion which take effect in 2013.

An estimated savings of more than $800 billion from ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

About $600 billion in reduced debt service payments.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50045823/ns/meet_the_press-transcripts/t/december-tim-geithner-bob-corker-claire-mccaskill-grover-norquist-chris-van-hollen-jim-cramer-maria-bartiromo/#.UL98Q4aRYmU

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=095C8E53-9DCA-41AE-AE9DDC8D80295948

[QUOTE]

LOL That is the party line; they will be so proud of you!

These reductions in spending not "cuts" mostly go into effect over 10 to 20 years!

The additional revenue is mostly NEW spending!!

How TF is that being fiscally responsible!!??

It's like taking out a loan to consolidate debt and reduce interest and then using 75% of the loan money to pay down on a lot more purchases!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Even senate dems are begging the President to delay the tax increase from Obamacare on medical devices!!

http://www.atr.org/dems-delay-obamacare-med-device-tax-a7380

25. This post has been removed.